Base vs. Tech?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Base vs. Tech?

Just got back from test driving a '14 MDX (Base AWD). Loved the drive, the different feel of the wheel with the IDS system. Got to push it through some turns (I don't have SH-AWD in my TL, so it was new to me).

Can someone here convince me why I should get the Tech package over the base model (for the extra ~$5k)? A little bit about my decision. I currently have an 06 TL Nav. I like the touch screen but have always hated Acura's Nav, and have had the HFL die in my car. I've had the Nav hack in my car to bypass the start screen plus add in a few other goodies. I also like that it can be programmed when the car is moving.

My thought, since the base model has the same monitor setup as the Tech, is to wait and install Navtool (when available, though should be similar to '14 RLX), using an iPhone or iPad mini for nav/maps, Audio, Siri HF stuff, Videos, Slingbox, etc... Even if the install is $1500 for everything, I can use the saved money for an extended warranty. I went in thinking of getting a Tech, but the sales guy got me thinking about the Base.

Appreciate any comments you guys might have.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:03 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
go to acura website and compare MDX models in terms of features.

the tech goes beyond just the navi and the HFL. you get the upgraded ELS sound system, hard drive, 19" rims, a couple of the extra safety features (collision mitigation, lane departure warning), rain sensing wipers, puddle lights, acuralink, blind spot info system, and various radio/audio source capabilities among other features.

the ELS sound system and the navi, for me, are a must. if it was me, i'd get the tech pkg. you have to decide for yourself if these items are important to YOU and things that YOU want in your car.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:09 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
what she said
Old 06-28-2013, 04:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Check out the fact sheet. It lists all the features that come with each package level:

http://www.acura.com/tools/pdf/GetFa...modelYear=2014

Also, if your sales person is actually decent at their job, they should be able to tell (and show) you these differences.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
go to acura website and compare MDX models in terms of features.

the tech goes beyond just the navi and the HFL. you get the upgraded ELS sound system, hard drive, 19" rims, a couple of the extra safety features (collision mitigation, lane departure warning), rain sensing wipers, puddle lights, acuralink, blind spot info system, and various radio/audio source capabilities among other features.

the ELS sound system and the navi, for me, are a must. if it was me, i'd get the tech pkg. you have to decide for yourself if these items are important to YOU and things that YOU want in your car.
Not to be too nit picky, but Collision Mitigation Braking System CMBS is on the Advance MDX. Tech Package gets Forward Collision Warning. The difference being CMBS will actually operate the brakes for you, while FCS only warns you to brake.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
http://www.acura.com/Features.aspx?m...Compare+Models

One vote for Tech. It really depends on you. Don't trust any sales person especially in dealerships. I won't get Base unless they do deep discount.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks all, maybe I can rephrase. I am well aware of the differences between the trim levels. IMO, I don't like the nav system nor having it locked out when driving. HFL in my TL is finicky, and I e found Acutas support to be lacking in that area. Maybe the stereo upgrade is worth it? I'm not sure. The HDD seems like a waste if it can only store things ripped from a CD. Rain sensing wipers? Meh. The Safety features aren't bad. But is all that worth the $? I was hoping some of the tech savvy owners would read what I am planning to do with Navtool integration and provide their feedback. Honestly, there isnt much in the Tech package that seems worth the price.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by magsru99
Can someone here convince me why I should get the Tech package over the base model (for the extra ~$5k)?
Thanks all, maybe I can rephrase..
LOL, I guess you've already answered your own question.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:47 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Not to be too nit picky, but Collision Mitigation Braking System CMBS is on the Advance MDX. Tech Package gets Forward Collision Warning. The difference being CMBS will actually operate the brakes for you, while FCS only warns you to brake.
i'm just quoting what i read on the acura website list when they do the comparo. thanks for the clarification though. i knew for the tech it was more of a warning than actually braking for you like the advance pkg.

Thanks all, maybe I can rephrase. I am well aware of the differences between the trim levels. IMO, I don't like the nav system nor having it locked out when driving. HFL in my TL is finicky, and I e found Acutas support to be lacking in that area. Maybe the stereo upgrade is worth it? I'm not sure. The HDD seems like a waste if it can only store things ripped from a CD. Rain sensing wipers? Meh. The Safety features aren't bad. But is all that worth the $? I was hoping some of the tech savvy owners would read what I am planning to do with Navtool integration and provide their feedback. Honestly, there isnt much in the Tech package that seems worth the price.
worth is in the eye of the beholder. the navi is different in the newer acuras than the 3G TL's. the resolution is WAY better and some of the other features on it are better. i won't necessarily say it's smarter in terms of routing. i swear the one in my MDX is dumb compared to the one in my TL. i would hope that the HFL has been upgraded/updated in the newer acuras.

however it sounds like you've already made the decision.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:35 PM
2014 MDX, 2011 Audi B8 S4

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
SHAWD - Advance Package or nothing!