Acura Dealer in Houston or TX that has service experience with Sport Hybrid MDX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 09:22 AM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Acura Dealer in Houston or TX with Sport Hybrid MDX Service Experience

I'm located in Houston metro area and would like feedback if there are any Acura Dealers in the Houston metro area that have experience and know how to properly service the Acura MDX Sport Hybrid, specifically when it comes to properly maintaining and performing the 7 DCT transmission drain & fill, and the TMU drain and fill, including the proper procedure using DW-1 ATF fluids for both, as well as charging the fair prices, which for the transmission should be much much less than the laborious ZF9 3x drain and fill.

I went to one smaller Acura Dealer that I will not name, and they had no idea what they were doing with that service, and wanted to charge $450+ for the drain & fill, which is the non Hybrid ZF9 3x drain & fill price. They didn't even have the Sport Hybrid procedure in their system, they were just reading off a sheet for the regular MDX. I refused that service, since not only is that egregious gouging, that is not even the right service. I'm a bit stressed how hard this seems, as I still need to get it done right in the near future.

Hopefully there is a good dealer in Houston metro that has experience and does it right and the right prices.

From what I gather in the forum the Sport Hybrid 7 DCT 1x drain and fill with DW1 should be ~$150-200, and the TMU should be ~$140-150.

While I would prefer to do it in Houston metro, I can also do it in San Antonio, Austin, or Dallas Fort Worth if there are competent fair dealers that have experience with properly servicing the MDX Sport Hyrbid.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by AcuraGuy2016; 04-12-2024 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:34 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,193 Posts
I've taken my 19 MDX Sport Hybrid to Gunn Acura in San Antonio. I was due for my very first oil change back in 2019 visiting my daughter stationed at the Sam Houston in the Army. Gunn Acura had a few new/used MDX sport hybrids and RLX sport hybrids on the lot; but, didn't sell a lot of them. I always purchase a 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 for my oil changes to take to the dealership. Gun Acura added the full 5 qts and 2 extra qts thinking my Sport Hybrid took the same 5.7 qts of oil as the 14-20 3.5L MDX. Sooooo glad I double-checked the oil level the next morning after the service. Gunn Acura drained the oil and refilled; but, forgot about the oil in the oil filter (still over filled). I had to purchase 4 individual qts and had them change the oil for the 3rd time and I told them I would top it off later. They kept on telling me I was wrong each time and the oil level was fine when it was clearly overfilled on the dip stick. Not sure if Gun Acura in San Antonio would be a good choice since 2020 was the last year for the RLX/MDX/NSX sport hybrids?

I would double/triple check to make sure the service manager uses the correct fluids at the right levels. I've been extremely happy with prices and service my local Acura dealership in ABQ, NM. I just did a 7DCT (189.95+tax) and TMU (139.95+tax) service at 53,000 miles.
Old 05-26-2024, 01:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I've taken my 19 MDX Sport Hybrid to Gunn Acura in San Antonio. I was due for my very first oil change back in 2019 visiting my daughter stationed at the Sam Houston in the Army. Gunn Acura had a few new/used MDX sport hybrids and RLX sport hybrids on the lot; but, didn't sell a lot of them. I always purchase a 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 for my oil changes to take to the dealership. Gun Acura added the full 5 qts and 2 extra qts thinking my Sport Hybrid took the same 5.7 qts of oil as the 14-20 3.5L MDX. Sooooo glad I double-checked the oil level the next morning after the service. Gunn Acura drained the oil and refilled; but, forgot about the oil in the oil filter (still over filled). I had to purchase 4 individual qts and had them change the oil for the 3rd time and I told them I would top it off later. They kept on telling me I was wrong each time and the oil level was fine when it was clearly overfilled on the dip stick. Not sure if Gun Acura in San Antonio would be a good choice since 2020 was the last year for the RLX/MDX/NSX sport hybrids?

I would double/triple check to make sure the service manager uses the correct fluids at the right levels. I've been extremely happy with prices and service my local Acura dealership in ABQ, NM. I just did a 7DCT (189.95+tax) and TMU (139.95+tax) service at 53,000 miles.
Thank you for this info. Can you please share the detailed writeup and scope, showing both part quantities, labor hours, and pricing, and that it was an MDX Sport Hyrbid. I'm very much struggling to find a competent local dealer. Being armed with the proper service info and fair prices would save me countless hours. My dealers may have slightly higher labor rates, but parts quantities and labor hours to do a job are irrelevant to location. Thank you so much.
Old 05-28-2024, 03:37 AM
mrgold35

I usually don't keep my service receipt once I input the info in my "Road Trip" smartphone app for tracking vehicle data. What I listed above is what my one and only Acura dealership in NM charges. You could check on the price per qt for DW-1 from the Acura parts dept. and subtract out that cost out for labor for doing each service to get an "estimate" of what it should cost for 7DCT/TMU services (owner's manual give the amount of DW-1 for 3.7 qts DCT and 2.56 qts TMU). I would check out local shops to ask about labor cost per hour and the ability of supplying your own fluids/filters to lower cost.
Old 05-28-2024, 08:30 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I usually don't keep my service receipt once I input the info in my "Road Trip" smartphone app for tracking vehicle data. What I listed above is what my one and only Acura dealership in NM charges. You could check on the price per qt for DW-1 from the Acura parts dept. and subtract out that cost out for labor for doing each service to get an "estimate" of what it should cost for 7DCT/TMU services (owner's manual give the amount of DW-1 for 3.7 qts DCT and 2.56 qts TMU). I would check out local shops to ask about labor cost per hour and the ability of supplying your own fluids/filters to lower cost.
OK thanks. In that case, can you please share the name of the decent Acura dealer in NM, so I can contact them and get a detailed quote of the procedures? That would be quite helpful, as I've been struggling for months here.
Old 05-28-2024, 09:39 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by AcuraGuy2016
OK thanks. In that case, can you please share the name of the decent Acura dealer in NM, so I can contact them and get a detailed quote of the procedures? That would be quite helpful, as I've been struggling for months here.
Montano Acura (505 373-0807): https://www.montanoacura.com/

Gabe is the service manager and he knows his stuff. The prices I listed above is going to be the quoted prices for 7DCT and TMU service for an MDX Sport Hybrid (7DCT: 189.95+tax and TMU 139.95+tax).