2021 MDX test mules spotted, one seems to be the 3.0T Type-S.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 01:17 PM
Too many cars

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I was thinking it would be almost the reverse engine set-up now and as the NSX with turbo engine+electric power FWD and electric motors on the rear for the Type-S MDX. Even adding the NA 377hp/341tq 3.5L hybrid set-up from the RLX would move the 4th Gen MDX into Type-S territory......
I really like the immediate torque with our RLX Sport Hybrid. My only concern would be how long the battery would hold out for the rear electric wheels in a heavy snow/ice situation. I haven't had a chance to see how the RLX holds out because we take our 2007 AWD MDX whenever the weather is bad. We have a long curving up hill drive to deal with before even getting to the road.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:28 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Originally Posted by 647TTA
I really like the immediate torque with our RLX Sport Hybrid. My only concern would be how long the battery would hold out for the rear electric wheels in a heavy snow/ice situation. I haven't had a chance to see how the RLX holds out because we take our 2007 AWD MDX whenever the weather is bad. We have a long curving up hill drive to deal with before even getting to the road.
The NA engine can act like a generator to power the rear electric motors directly; but, it robs some hp to do that. Don't think we would notice the power deficit driving in the snow/ice situations. I think that is the reason why Sport+ mode charges the battery pack ASAP to provide maximum hp/tq when needed. I don't think the MDX is at its 321hp/289tq when the battery pack is too low or when it is too cold.
The following users liked this post:
bmoua15 (06-15-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 11:47 PM
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
I was thinking it would be almost the reverse engine set-up now and as the NSX with turbo engine+electric power FWD and electric motors on the rear for the Type-S MDX. Even adding the NA 377hp/341tq 3.5L hybrid set-up from the RLX would move the 4th Gen MDX into Type-S territory. The rear electric motors in the MDX and RLX are very responsive and you can feel the improved handling/tq in maneuvers. Power just gives out +75 mph; but, most of us don't need that much performance +80 mph.

I'm just thinking (wishing) out loud. Making the Type-S MDX a sport hybrid with +375hp and +28 mpg combine would move performance into the AMG, S-Line, M, SVR, and GTS SUVs range.
I would trade the 3.0 turbo for the RLX setup forsure! 0-60 would be in the 5.5sec range forsure

Last edited by bmoua15; 06-12-2020 at 11:53 PM.
mrgold35 (06-13-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 05:09 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Originally Posted by bmoua15
I would trade the 3.0 turbo for the RLX setup forsure! 0-60 would be in the 5.5sec range forsure
Keep in mind that the tuning potential for turbo/super-charged engines is almost unlimited, as long as the engine block can hold. Just crank up the boost pressure, via chip tuning, and/or larger turbocharger, and/or higher-pressure wastegate, it is easy to realize an additional 30-100 hp to the new setup. Shaving half a second to the 0-60 time is cheap and easy.

On the other hand, there is not a whole lot one can do to jack up the hp on the RLX's or any naturally-aspirated engine, unless you start messing around with the battery pack and the electric motors.

bmoua15 (06-13-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 06:21 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Keep in mind that the tuning potential for turbo/super-charged engines is almost unlimited, as long as the engine block can hold. Just crank up the boost pressure, via chip tuning, and/or larger turbocharger, and/or higher-pressure wastegate, it is easy to realize an additional 30-100 hp to the new setup. Shaving half a second to the 0-60 time is cheap and easy.

On the other hand, there is not a whole lot one can do to jack up the hp on the RLX's or any naturally-aspirated engine, unless you start messing around with the battery pack and the electric motors.

Since Acura developed new V6 Turbo engine, there is no question of not using that in MDX-S. I wish Acura can use eTurbo (or whatever other technique) to get 400-450 HP and 450ish lb-ft for that. That will put MDX-S performance to mid level performance variants - GLE 53 amg, Cayenne GTS, SQ7, BMW X5 50i etc.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:56 PM
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by BGR

You can see they'll have different options here. I'm assuming based on drive modes. I'm so anxious to see this since it's been four years since they showed the concept.
BGR, great find. Do you know if the MDX is confirmed to have the new Precision cockpit for the gauges? Any ideas why they waited for the MDX when the TLX is a redesign this year? Also, if the MDX gets it this year, will the TLX get it next year or will you have to wait for a refresh (3 years)?
Old 06-17-2020, 09:45 PM
BGR
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by stevenpsu
BGR, great find. Do you know if the MDX is confirmed to have the new Precision cockpit for the gauges? Any ideas why they waited for the MDX when the TLX is a redesign this year? Also, if the MDX gets it this year, will the TLX get it next year or will you have to wait for a refresh (3 years)?
I honestly think Acura just wanted it to debut on the flagship but that's my personal opinion. The MDX will have an even better interior than the TLX. Acura will make it clear this is their flagship. Not sure when the TLX will get it.

Look at the attachment.

You can see the precision cockpit in this picture. Also notice the piece of paper on the passenger side dashboard. It is a layout of the digitial screen.
stevenpsu (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 09:55 PM
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by BGR
I honestly think Acura just wanted it to debut on the flagship but that's my personal opinion. The MDX will have an even better interior than the TLX. Acura will make it clear this is their flagship. Not sure when the TLX will get it.

Look at the attachment.

You can see the precision cockpit in this picture. Also notice the piece of paper on the passenger side dashboard. It is a layout of the digitial screen.
Sweet. Will it be the screen like we saw here and on the precision cockpit or will they implement it into the cluster sort of like Audi did. Also, do you have a bigger photo to expand?
Old 06-17-2020, 10:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Originally Posted by BGR

Look at the attachment.

Holy crap, that guy's johnson reaches all the way to the steering wheel?
Old 06-17-2020, 11:15 PM
BGR
Instructor

Sweet. Will it be the screen like we saw here and on the precision cockpit or will they implement it into the cluster sort of like Audi did. Also, do you have a bigger photo to expand?
I don't have the details on that. You can see the word sport on the paper on the dash and if you zoom in you can see the digital dash in the cluster is red and lines up with the earlier photos I sent.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:17 PM
BGR
Instructor

it may be better to pull from here

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...e-s-spied/amp/
Old 06-18-2020, 07:14 AM
mrgold35

Looks like the upper screen might have an integrated console screen with hood instead of the RDX pop-up design. From the picture, it almost looks like the current 3rd gen MDX dash/center console with the new tech laying on-top?
Old 06-18-2020, 08:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I am guessing that the MDX will have the same Head-up display available as the TLX? Love that new cockpit design. My lease will be up just in time for one of these
Old 07-01-2020, 02:11 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Massage seats would be a major bonus, but I'm not holding my breath, nor would I make a decision to buy off of that.

Now, heated steering wheel... that was almost a determining factor between the TLX my wife got and the Lexus GS, which was quite a bit more money. We ended up with the TLX and literally the only thing we wish we had was the heated steering wheel. ... oh and CarPlay (it's a 2016 model).

If the 2021 MDX has a heated steering wheel, CarPlay, good styling, and a sporty engine, we're sold. TLX has been amazing in almost every possible way, but with kids (and their associated stuff), the MDX is looking very desirable. Massage seats would, of course, be the cherry on top. Type-S would be interesting, but I'd rather have excellent ground clearance and a variable suspension tuned for off-road than a hard, sporty suspension.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:22 AM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
I won't be looking to upgrade my current 19 MDX Hybrid Adv anytime soon. I like to wait until after the MMC because Acura usually does a refresh of styling, luxury, and tech. I just hate it how Honda can leap frog over Acura in tech and engine choices before Acura because of the design schedules (carplay sooner and on more models, updated info-tainment, getting ventilated seats in an Accord before the base/tech TLX, hybrid CR-V before the hybrid RDX, handsfree liftgate sensor, etc...). The only major thing that is unique to North America Acura is the sport hybrid powertrain system (hybrid system is in the Honda Legend over seas).
The Honda Accord also has a glass dashboard. Something no Acura has.

mrgold35 (07-03-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 02:26 AM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by BGR

Nose is too long, Proportions are off. And in typical Acura fashion it will have skinny tires. Not big wide tires like what the Germans give you. Acura engineers and designers must be 65 year old seniors that nap all afternoon and are counting the days to retirement.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:09 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Hate the front overhang as well.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Front end has the makings of the Honda/Acura peeps hanging out with the Mazda crew.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Exclamation CarScoops

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/08/20...of-fall-debut/

2021 Acura MDX Switches To More Revealing Camouflage Ahead Of Fall Debut

BY Dan Mihalascu | Posted on August 20, 2020 0The redesigned 2021 Acura MDX has been spotted undergoing testing in the United States with a new, more revealing body wrap and no padding whatsoever.

Following the patent images we featured in May, these spy shots provide the best look yet at Acura’s next-generation midsize SUV. Corroborating these photos with the patent images, it’s pretty clear this prototype wears the production body complete with the production headlights and taillights.

The design language is obviously inspired by the recently-released 2021 Acura TLX sedan, and that’s a good thing because the new MDX looks less bulky and more athletic than before.

See Also: 2021 Acura MDX Stops By The Patent Office, Could Gain A Type S Variant

At the front, highlights include the diamond pentagonal grille that focuses attention on the massive Acura logo, sleek LED headlights with integrated DRLs underlining the 4 clusters, and a sculpted bumper featuring vertical inlets.

Seen from the side, the MDX 3-row crossover looks flatter than the outgoing model and features an ascending third lateral window for a sportier appearance. Out back, the sleek LED taillights are clearly inspired by those of the new TLX sedan, while the seemingly smaller rear window and flat tailpipes add to the sporty look.

As for the interior, one of the photos reveals a “floating” central display that looks consistent with the leaked images we showed you one year ago. Expect a sporty dash with a digital instrument panel, slim center console, ambient lighting and all the bells and whistles available in the Acura universe right now.

The 2021 MDX is expected to share the all-new platform with the 2021 TLX. As a result, we can expect a turbocharged 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine to act as the entry-level variant. Hooked to a 10-speed automatic transmission, it offers 272 hp (203 kW / 276 PS) and 280 lb-ft (379 Nm) of torque in the TLX and it comes with standard FWD or optional AWD.

We also know the 2021 Acura MDX will offer a Type S variant, likely powered by the same 3.0-liter turbo V6 engine from the new TLX Type S. On said model, the power plant delivers 355 hp and 354 lb-ft (479 Nm) of torque in combination with a 10-speed auto and standard Super Handling All-Wheel Drive system. Besides these 2 gasoline engines, a Sport Hybrid variant also looks likely for the 2021 MDX.

Expect the new generation MDX to be revealed in the fall and go on sale next year.

Tony Pac (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 08:19 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,618 Likes on 975 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/08/20...of-fall-debut/

2021 Acura MDX Switches To More Revealing Camouflage Ahead Of Fall Debut

BY Dan Mihalascu | Posted on August 20, 2020 0The redesigned 2021 Acura MDX has been spotted undergoing testing in the United States with a new, more revealing body wrap and no padding whatsoever.

Following the patent images we featured in May, these spy shots provide the best look yet at Acura’s next-generation midsize SUV. Corroborating these photos with the patent images, it’s pretty clear this prototype wears the production body complete with the production headlights and taillights.

The design language is obviously inspired by the recently-released 2021 Acura TLX sedan, and that’s a good thing because the new MDX looks less bulky and more athletic than before.

See Also: 2021 Acura MDX Stops By The Patent Office, Could Gain A Type S Variant

At the front, highlights include the diamond pentagonal grille that focuses attention on the massive Acura logo, sleek LED headlights with integrated DRLs underlining the 4 clusters, and a sculpted bumper featuring vertical inlets.

Seen from the side, the MDX 3-row crossover looks flatter than the outgoing model and features an ascending third lateral window for a sportier appearance. Out back, the sleek LED taillights are clearly inspired by those of the new TLX sedan, while the seemingly smaller rear window and flat tailpipes add to the sporty look.

As for the interior, one of the photos reveals a “floating” central display that looks consistent with the leaked images we showed you one year ago. Expect a sporty dash with a digital instrument panel, slim center console, ambient lighting and all the bells and whistles available in the Acura universe right now.

The 2021 MDX is expected to share the all-new platform with the 2021 TLX. As a result, we can expect a turbocharged 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine to act as the entry-level variant. Hooked to a 10-speed automatic transmission, it offers 272 hp (203 kW / 276 PS) and 280 lb-ft (379 Nm) of torque in the TLX and it comes with standard FWD or optional AWD.

We also know the 2021 Acura MDX will offer a Type S variant, likely powered by the same 3.0-liter turbo V6 engine from the new TLX Type S. On said model, the power plant delivers 355 hp and 354 lb-ft (479 Nm) of torque in combination with a 10-speed auto and standard Super Handling All-Wheel Drive system. Besides these 2 gasoline engines, a Sport Hybrid variant also looks likely for the 2021 MDX.

Expect the new generation MDX to be revealed in the fall and go on sale next year.

Looks really good. I think MDX will have all the bells and whistles. We have seen those photos from RDX infotainment. Hopefully Acura reveals this car before end of the year.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:47 AM
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 378 Posts
I feel no comparison to Mazda at all, I mean if you sit both side by side it wouldn't be anything to compare. The 4G MDX will be look like it's been in the gym and be more defined over outgoing with the puffy rear qtr and round butt lol. I believe it will stand out from others in the segment. Finally some definition in the doors and near the door handles it appears, could just be the lighting. Those taillights will be beautiful at night, and the headlights won't be as bulky. I think I made the right choice waiting around for the '21 to come out.

Old 08-20-2020, 07:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 549 Likes on 355 Posts
Not sure if anyone has seen the outrageous TLX pricing but damn, this MDX is probably going to be one expensive vehicle and not sure if it will be worth it:

2021 Acura MDX Shows Off Its TLX-Inspired Styling

The redesigned three-row luxury SUV is likely to debut soon with the same 355-hp turbo V-6 as its sedan counterpart.​​​https://www.caranddriver.com/news/am...-future-spied/
Old 08-20-2020, 08:01 PM
Too many cars

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
The local Acura dealer said to expect about a 10k price increase on the nicer trims.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:18 PM
mrgold35

I was looking at Temple of VTEC about the trim levels and options for the TLX: https://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?...tem_id=1424335

I was really surprised the 2.0T is the standard engine for the base, tech, A-spec, and Adv models. You can only get the 3.0T with the Type-S TLX. I was thinking the 3.0T de-tuned version would be option for the tech, Aspec, or Adv TLX. It would really suck if Acura does the same with the MDX making the 2.0T standard and only the Type-S MDX gets the 3.0T.

Last edited by mrgold35; 08-22-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:39 PM
Racer

I was looking at Temple of VTEC about the trim levels and options for the TLX: https://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?...tem_id=1424335

I was really surprised the 2.0T is the standard engine for the base, tech, A-spec, and Adv models. You can only get the 3.0T with the Type-S TLX. I was thinking the 3.0T de-tuned version would be option for the tech, Aspec, or Adv TLX. It would really suck if Acura does the same with the MDX making the 2.0T standard and only the Type-S MDX gets the 3.0T.
Acura announced 2.0T engine as base engine in TLX many months back.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:27 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Acura is keeping a few options off of the TLX Type S. No fog lights, power folding mirrors, HUD, 360 camera, rain sensing wipers, heated steering wheel and heated rear seats. I could see losing a few of those to keep costs and weight down but things like 360 camera and HUD should be there for $52,000 - $55,000 estimated.

Old 08-22-2020, 11:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Originally Posted by MrJames
Acura is keeping a few options off of the TLX Type S. No fog lights, power folding mirrors, HUD, 360 camera, rain sensing wipers, heated steering wheel and heated rear seats. I could see losing a few of those to keep costs and weight down but things like 360 camera and HUD should be there for $52,000 - $55,000 estimated.
Fog lights I think might actually be because of the additional cooling requirements of the 3.0T. Otherwise it makes no sense that the A-Spec has it, but not the Type-S which is built on the A-Spec package has every other A-spec option. I wouldn't be surprised if they needed to add a real vent to the bumper in that location for a brake duct or oil cooler or something.

Old 08-23-2020, 07:08 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by MrJames

I've noticed that also. I would want the Type-S to have all the Adv features PLUS the performance, brakes, suspension, and body kit upgrades. I use the 360 cameras, folding mirrors, and HUD everyday for my RLX hybrid; but, probably used the full 377hp probably 10 times in the last 8 months (pretty much just in "jacking around" situations).
TSX69 (08-24-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 07:50 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by alpha0
Acura announced 2.0T engine as base engine in TLX many months back.
I was really hoping Acura would squeeze in a de-tuned version of the 3.0T in-between the 2.0T and Type-S 3.0T as an option for the A-Spec and Adv TLXs. I'm just worried Acura might do the same for the MDX and only offer the 2.0T for everything from base-to-Adv and you can only get the 3.0T in the Type-S MDX. We have to wait and see if Acura mates the 2.0T (or NA V-6 engine) with hybrid tech for third engine choice.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:54 AM
Racer

I was really hoping Acura would squeeze in a de-tuned version of the 3.0T in-between the 2.0T and Type-S 3.0T as an option for the A-Spec and Adv TLXs. I'm just worried Acura might do the same for the MDX and only offer the 2.0T for everything from base-to-Adv and you can only get the 3.0T in the Type-S MDX. We have to wait and see if Acura mates the 2.0T (or NA V-6 engine) with hybrid tech for third engine choice.
Acura has been very quiet about base engine of MDX. I hope it is improved NA J35 or detuned 6 cyl turboo than 4 cyl 2.0T, will wait and see. If i were the product planner, i would use similar engine (may be somewhat more performance tuned to use premium fuel) to whatever they are planning for next versions of Pilot/Ridgeline.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:11 AM
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
The Type-S MDX was spied in Ohio. Time stamp 17:18
TLbullet (09-13-2020)