2020 MDX Sport Hybrid or 2020 RDX A-Spec?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2019 | 08:13 AM
Racer

2020 MDX Sport Hybrid or 2020 RDX A-Spec?

I know I'm posting this in the MDX section but I'm a current MDX owner (17 AWD Tech) . Looking to possibly trade in my 17 w 49k for something newer. To me its at that point where your either trade it or drive it another 50k. Its going to need tires and brakes (not a big deal but just for reference) and the MDX has become our primary family vehicle for short road trips (lots of soccer, baseball, football games and swim meets) with 4 or less passengers. We have 3 kids (20, 16, and 10) we also own a 15 Suburban for the long hauls with all 3 kids which doesn't happen often. Just drove a 2020 Tech Hybrid and a 2020 RDX A-Spec AWD and got numbers on both. There is a 4k difference between the 2 cars. Throwing out the price difference, which would you buy? The MDX is in its last year and while I'm excited for the new one, I won't buy a 1st year model so whatever I buy I will probably only keep a max of 3 years. The MDX is great but the RDX felt livelier and newer (which it is). I'm worried about losing some space in the MDX but as I said, I have a Suburban as well. Thanks everyone! I always like to post here and see other opinions.
Old 08-16-2019 | 08:22 AM
Racer

since you already have a Suburban i would go with RDX, it's more fun and easy move around in town for short trips. beside the cabin is very nice and sure you'll feel excited when you're in it!
Old 08-16-2019 | 08:26 AM
Racer

Thanks, Just to be clear, the "short" trips are 1 to 3 hours away......LOL
Old 08-16-2019 | 08:40 AM
Greb 06 RL

I think the MDX Sport Hybrid is the best of both worlds roomy, luxury and sporty, especially in Sport+ mode....
Old 08-16-2019 | 09:30 AM
mrgold35

I was looking for an replacement for my 08 RDX and was considering +19 RDX in Aspec or Adv trim. It was going to be our city errand car and the wife's daily work commuter. It is just the wife and I with the youngest in his last year of college and Daughter living in Texas. Long time Honda/Acura owner and always learned to stay away 1st year versions with all the potential bugs. The +19 RDX is totally new from the ground up with very little carry over parts from previous models in the line-up. I've always liked the MDX sh-sh-awd; but, felt it was overkill having a 11 MDX along side the 19 MDX. I was able to have 3 loaner 19 RDXs when I was having work done at different times on my other vehicles (19 RDXs in fwd, sh-awd, tech, and adv trims). It was great to have the 19 RDX for several days to run it through my normal routine and push the performance envelope on occasion.

19 RDX likes for me:
- Pano sunroof
- very aggressively programmed sh-awd
- 3D sound system with ceiling speakers
- highly adjustable seats and head rest
- updated interior styling
- the 7 LED HIDs is an improvement on the already outstanding MDXs 5 LED headlights
- very responsive turbo engine
- HUD should be standard on all Tech, Adv and Aspec trims

19 RDX dis-likes for me:
- no recline for rear seats, rear seats not as contoured like the in the MDX
- 10AT make paddles almost useless (have tap 3-4 times)
- road noise; especially, from the rear was higher than the MDX
- A larger vehicle on the outside; but, around the same volume as my 08 RDX inside.
- city mpgs can be in the very low 20s if you drive in the fast lane, I would never get EPA hwy mpgs since the speed limit are between 70, 75 or 80 mph out west.
- Auto Stop/Start shakes the RDX on start up, had to disable everytime
- TMI overload, instrument panel and split screen can have a lot of graphics and information displayed in a very small areas.
- the updated tech works best if you like to "set it and forget it" type of person. Lots of drilling down menus with touch pad if you prefer manual mode for the most features.

Ended up going for 19 MDX sh-sh-awd Adv in Fathom Blue Pearl after just one test drive. It was was the extra room, greatly reduced road noise, most advance tq vectoring system made by Honda/Acura for better handling, extra hp/tq that was instant, Auto Stop/Start system that is almost invisible, greatly improved mpgs as a fast lane driver (always above 25 mpgs after +2200 miles), unique powertrain that is also used in the RLX and NSX, active dampers, and Sport+ mode.

Added 20" Berlina rims, black lugs, painted red calipers, and chrome delete with plastic dip:
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019 | 11:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Type-S RPh
I know I'm posting this in the MDX section but I'm a current MDX owner (17 AWD Tech) . Looking to possibly trade in my 17 w 49k for something newer. To me its at that point where your either trade it or drive it another 50k. Its going to need tires and brakes (not a big deal but just for reference) and the MDX has become our primary family vehicle for short road trips (lots of soccer, baseball, football games and swim meets) with 4 or less passengers. We have 3 kids (20, 16, and 10) we also own a 15 Suburban for the long hauls with all 3 kids which doesn't happen often. Just drove a 2020 Tech Hybrid and a 2020 RDX A-Spec AWD and got numbers on both. There is a 4k difference between the 2 cars. Throwing out the price difference, which would you buy? The MDX is in its last year and while I'm excited for the new one, I won't buy a 1st year model so whatever I buy I will probably only keep a max of 3 years. The MDX is great but the RDX felt livelier and newer (which it is). I'm worried about losing some space in the MDX but as I said, I have a Suburban as well. Thanks everyone! I always like to post here and see other opinions.
I'm might be in the market for a 2020 Tech Hybrid as well. would you mind sharing what type of pricing you got on it?
Old 08-16-2019 | 11:57 AM
Racer

Couple weeks ago I had an Aspec RDX as a loaner for a week. Not a fan. The mouse pad and the display stuck on the dash like an after thought really turned me off. Someone must like them, but to me the mouse pad was a huge distraction when trying to drive.
Old 08-16-2019 | 03:00 PM
Pro

I cannot say enough good things about the MDX Hybrid. I have a 2017 with 23,000 miles and always have a smile on my face driving it. I have a lifetime MPG average of 30.1 which even I find incredible. When my lease is up next year I hope to be able to get a 2020 before they are gone. I drove a 2019 RDX loaner (base not A Spec) for a day and while it is a fine vehicle I think it is a step down from the MDX in term of luxury and driveability. The MDX Hybrid is almost sports car like with its quick acceleration and seamless transmission. I found the drive and transmission of the RDX to be a hit harsh.
Old 08-16-2019 | 03:25 PM
mrgold35

Another thing to keep in mind is the all new 4th Gen MDX should be available starting in 2020 as an 2021 model. We haven't heard anything about a 4th Gen MDX Sport Hybrid being available in 2021. Getting a 2019/20 Sport Hybrid MDX might be it until maybe the Mid-Model Change (MMC) for the 4th Gen MDX in around 2024 time frame. The powertrain of the MDX Sport Hybrid is unbelievably awesome for only a $1500 premium over the MDX 3.5L sh-awd tech version.

The 3rd Gen RDX will still be available at any time during that same time period.
Old 08-16-2019 | 06:44 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Type-S RPh
I have a 2019 MDX Aspec and came from a 17 RDX. I tested the 19 RDX and found it more cramped than my 17 RDX which was a good car. The thing was, with the discounts, the price for the MDX was close to the RDX for the Aspecs. So I went with the MDX. I do not regret it one bit. The rear seats are never up, but this weekend we need all 7 so we can use it. The gas mileage is slightly worse than the RDX and I love the V6, as I did not want the 4 turbo, but it goes pretty good. The V6 is quieter and smoother. Have and it for 3 months and no issues. love the extra cargo area over the RDX.
Old 08-16-2019 | 08:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I was looking for an replacement for my 08 RDX and was considering +19 RDX in Aspec or Adv trim. It was going to be our city errand car and the wife's daily work commuter. It is just the wife and I with the youngest in his last year of college and Daughter living in Texas. Long time Honda/Acura owner and always learned to stay away 1st year versions with all the potential bugs. The +19 RDX is totally new from the ground up with very little carry over parts from previous models in the line-up. I've always liked the MDX sh-sh-awd; but, felt it was overkill having a 11 MDX along side the 19 MDX. I was able to have 3 loaner 19 RDXs when I was having work done at different times on my other vehicles (19 RDXs in fwd, sh-awd, tech, and adv trims). It was great to have the 19 RDX for several days to run it through my normal routine and push the performance envelope on occasion.

19 RDX likes for me:
- Pano sunroof
- very aggressively programmed sh-awd
- 3D sound system with ceiling speakers
- highly adjustable seats and head rest
- updated interior styling
- the 7 LED HIDs is an improvement on the already outstanding MDXs 5 LED headlights
- very responsive turbo engine
- HUD should be standard on all Tech, Adv and Aspec trims

19 RDX dis-likes for me:
- no recline for rear seats, rear seats not as contoured like the in the MDX
- 10AT make paddles almost useless (have tap 3-4 times)
- road noise; especially, from the rear was higher than the MDX
- A larger vehicle on the outside; but, around the same volume as my 08 RDX inside.
- city mpgs can be in the very low 20s if you drive in the fast lane, I would never get EPA hwy mpgs since the speed limit are between 70, 75 or 80 mph out west.
- Auto Stop/Start shakes the RDX on start up, had to disable everytime
- TMI overload, instrument panel and split screen can have a lot of graphics and information displayed in a very small areas.
- the updated tech works best if you like to "set it and forget it" type of person. Lots of drilling down menus with touch pad if you prefer manual mode for the most features.

Ended up going for 19 MDX sh-sh-awd Adv in Fathom Blue Pearl after just one test drive. It was was the extra room, greatly reduced road noise, most advance tq vectoring system made by Honda/Acura for better handling, extra hp/tq that was instant, Auto Stop/Start system that is almost invisible, greatly improved mpgs as a fast lane driver (always above 25 mpgs after +2200 miles), unique powertrain that is also used in the RLX and NSX, active dampers, and Sport+ mode.

Added 20" Berlina rims, black lugs, painted red calipers, and chrome delete with plastic dip:
That is one sweet MDX! I love the blacked out trim. If I could have anything, it would be an MDX Hybrid A-Spec
mrgold35 (08-17-2019)
Old 08-17-2019 | 12:22 AM
Racer

MDX Aspec or Hybrid!
Old 04-12-2022 | 09:31 AM
5th Gear

Looks aggressive, did you plastic dipped the sidesteps or they were available in all black?
Old 04-12-2022 | 10:09 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by Bomdy809
Looks aggressive, did you plastic dipped the sidesteps or they were available in all black?
Plastic dip out all the chrome on front, sides, chrome strip on side steps, roof rails, and rear chrome 3 years ago. I had to re-spray around the grill because I went out of town for 2 weeks in summer and left bug guts on the dip. It bake into the dip in the +100 degree San Antonio heat/humidity and caused patches to the chrome when I washed. I now clean bug guts off in a day or two with zero issues.

Still looks good after a wash in Jan of this year (PPF on entire hood, fenders, front bumper, side mirrors, windshield and windshield side pillars, LEDs and rear bumper, Ceramic coating everywhere else):

Before (with chrome delete 18 RLX hybrid stablemate):

After:

Last edited by mrgold35; 04-12-2022 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-13-2022 | 07:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Looks like my car all the time up here in the winter :-)
Old 07-25-2022 | 05:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

I know the OP of this thread probably made his decision already (given the original date), but in case there are others that come across this thread, I can give my 2 cents as we just traded in our 2021 RDX A-Spec for a 2019 MDX Advance. Keep in mind we've also had a 2006 MDX, 2010 ZDX, 2016 MDX, 2018 MDX, the aforementioned RDX and now the "new to us" 2019 Advance.

There is a lot of good pro/con breakdown on this thread but I'll keep it simple: if you have a family, especially with 2 or more kids, and if there are any sports involved (as the OP mentioned), go with an MDX.

With the supply shortages, our 2018 MDX lease was up in 2021 and there were few and far between options for the new incoming 2022 MDX. We got a good deal on a 21 RDX A-Spec lease so we jumped on it. Fast-forward 14K miles of use (we gave it a good run), but we were just "done" with not having the space and the third row of seats. There were several times when we had to take 2 cars when taking our sons and some friends. No more. We felt like that 6th seat was so often needed. We didn't feel like 7 was as big of a deal, so we opted for second row captains chairs. OMG the boys love them.

Space wise was not as bad, but still noticeable. You don't realize how much more useful the wider trunk is in the MDX until you go to an RDX. I forgot how much we enjoyed the space in our 2016 and 2018 MDXes. We're glad to be back
The following 2 users liked this post by Type34:
andysinnh (07-26-2022), mrgold35 (07-25-2022)
Old 07-25-2022 | 06:36 PM
mrgold35

I'll bet you get the same or better mpgs with the 3rd Gen MDX compared to RDX.
Old 07-26-2022 | 08:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Type34
I know the OP of this thread probably made his decision already (given the original date), but in case there are others that come across this thread, I can give my 2 cents as we just traded in our 2021 RDX A-Spec for a 2019 MDX Advance. Keep in mind we've also had a 2006 MDX, 2010 ZDX, 2016 MDX, 2018 MDX, the aforementioned RDX and now the "new to us" 2019 Advance.

There is a lot of good pro/con breakdown on this thread but I'll keep it simple: if you have a family, especially with 2 or more kids, and if there are any sports involved (as the OP mentioned), go with an MDX.

With the supply shortages, our 2018 MDX lease was up in 2021 and there were few and far between options for the new incoming 2022 MDX. We got a good deal on a 21 RDX A-Spec lease so we jumped on it. Fast-forward 14K miles of use (we gave it a good run), but we were just "done" with not having the space and the third row of seats. There were several times when we had to take 2 cars when taking our sons and some friends. No more. We felt like that 6th seat was so often needed. We didn't feel like 7 was as big of a deal, so we opted for second row captains chairs. OMG the boys love them.

Space wise was not as bad, but still noticeable. You don't realize how much more useful the wider trunk is in the MDX until you go to an RDX. I forgot how much we enjoyed the space in our 2016 and 2018 MDXes. We're glad to be back
Very similar experience with our family. Long-time Acura owners. Wife has had 2 Integras, a 93 Legend, a 96 RL, a '12 TL, and now an '18 RLX. I had Honda pilots, then a '13 MDX base, then moved to a '15 RDX thinking that I didn't need the extra seating and wanted something a bit smaller with better fuel economy. Let's just say that downsizing decision wasn't the best decision. I don't have younger kids, so the 3rd row seating wasn't a huge deal. But the gas mileage was not that great, the ride/handling of the RDX was certainly not the same as the MDX was, and perhaps the biggest deal was just the lack of interior room. The adage "you don't know what you ot till it's gone" was true when downsizing to the RDX :-) I ended up ending the RDX lease 6 months early and moved to a '17 MDX Tech, with the intent of keeping it for the long haul. I had the infamous navigation "flying thru the woods" issue, and the dealer moved me into a '19 MDX Advance, and I couldn't be happier. Gas mileage is identical (if not better) to the RDX, and the features in the Advance just make me smile. :-) Bought it out of the lease earlier this year, and I see no reason to move away from it as I head into my retirement years :-)

andy
mrgold35 (07-26-2022)
Old 07-26-2022 | 12:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'll bet you get the same or better mpgs with the 3rd Gen MDX compared to RDX.
Originally Posted by andysinnh
Very similar experience with our family. Long-time Acura owners. Wife has had 2 Integras, a 93 Legend, a 96 RL, a '12 TL, and now an '18 RLX. I had Honda pilots, then a '13 MDX base, then moved to a '15 RDX thinking that I didn't need the extra seating and wanted something a bit smaller with better fuel economy. Let's just say that downsizing decision wasn't the best decision. I don't have younger kids, so the 3rd row seating wasn't a huge deal. But the gas mileage was not that great, the ride/handling of the RDX was certainly not the same as the MDX was, and perhaps the biggest deal was just the lack of interior room. The adage "you don't know what you ot till it's gone" was true when downsizing to the RDX :-) I ended up ending the RDX lease 6 months early and moved to a '17 MDX Tech, with the intent of keeping it for the long haul. I had the infamous navigation "flying thru the woods" issue, and the dealer moved me into a '19 MDX Advance, and I couldn't be happier. Gas mileage is identical (if not better) to the RDX, and the features in the Advance just make me smile. :-) Bought it out of the lease earlier this year, and I see no reason to move away from it as I head into my retirement years :-)
You guys are right. Thus far, we've actually gotten better gas mileage in the MDX. Granted when I drove the turbo RDX, I drove faster (man it was fun to drive)

And Andy, I absolutely echo the love for our 2019 "Advance". This is our second Advance model as our ZDX was an Advance, but our first MDX Advance. I won't get another trim going forward. The Milano leather is gorgeous. All the little additions such as the Surround-View Camera and heated second row captains chairs are a nice touch. Plus the painted bumpers and LED fog lights finish the exterior off nicely.

Plus, I don't know about others on here, but whomever designed the 2019+ RDX and 2022+ MDX interior infotainment system with the dial and touchpad should be fired. Like yesterday. The 3rd-gen dual screen with touch screen (not touch pad!) is far superior. That's why we got a 2019 and not a 2022. I can't stand that dial and touchpad and my wife hates it even more than me. We had constant frustration with it.

Long live the 3rd gen Advance!
Old 07-26-2022 | 12:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Plus, I don't know about others on here, but whomever designed the 2019+ RDX and 2022+ MDX interior infotainment system with the dial and touchpad should be fired. Like yesterday. The 3rd-gen dual screen with touch screen (not touch pad!) is far superior. That's why we got a 2019 and not a 2022. I can't stand that dial and touchpad and my wife hates it even more than me. We had constant frustration with it.
I'll freely admit that my wife and I are both near retirement age, but very technically saavy (we both work in high tech and educational technology). Both of us have spent enough time behind the wheel of the new Acura infotainment sytems to know that the much-maligned dual-screen setup works out a LOT better for us, and made conscious decisions to stay with our current rides ('19 MDX Advance, '18 RLX Sport Hybrid Advance) as long as we can keep them running. The screen size and the details within (MID/cluster, display screen) in terms of text volume and font size make it VERY distracting to drive - and navigating the screen with the touch pad is not overly intuitive for us non-millenials. :-) Moving between our 2 cars, aside from the driving feel of a sedan vs an SUV, it's the same setup between the two - so no culture shock when swapping cars. I realize we're in the minority here, but the dual-screen model is much better suited for our needs....
mrgold35 (07-28-2022)
Old 07-28-2022 | 09:40 AM
mrgold35

I like the "looks" of the interior dash/info-tainment of the +19 RDX and +22 MDX; but, love the function of the dual screens of my 18 RLX and 19 MDX. I can see everything with a quick glance between the dual screens and dash (or HUD for my RLX). No HUD on my 19 MDX Adv is the only thing I really hate not having compared to newer models.
Old 08-01-2022 | 02:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

I like the "looks" of the interior dash/info-tainment of the +19 RDX and +22 MDX; but, love the function of the dual screens of my 18 RLX and 19 MDX. I can see everything with a quick glance between the dual screens and dash (or HUD for my RLX). No HUD on my 19 MDX Adv is the only thing I really hate not having compared to newer models.
I agree. The "looks" of the wider screen and techy looking touchpad are definitely cool...until you use them. Years ago I helped design the Cadillac User Interface (CUI) and the end result was some that I did and some that I did not ask for. My baseline requirement was touch screen. You go to the bank - touch screen. You even go to McDonalds now and it's touch screen. Tesla basically uses a vertical iPad and everyone loves it.

Acura needs to stop trying to be BMW or Audi and freakin' go back to a touch-screen interface. I love the dual screen setup in the 2014-2020. Very easy to use and intuitive.
mrgold35 (08-01-2022)
Old 08-02-2022 | 08:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jzhu625
since you already have a Suburban i would go with RDX, it's more fun and easy move around in town for short trips. beside the cabin is very nice and sure you'll feel excited when you're in it!
If you like a quiet ride like the burb, and if the MDX is to you reasonably quiet, drive the RDX before you decide. IMHO the RDX has way to much road noise, way worse tha the MDX. RDXit came off our list real quick. typical honda outrageous road noise. MDX is much quieter, still not up to par with the best of many other mfg, but at least good enough to be comfortable on trips.
Old 09-18-2022 | 03:15 PM
mvl
Pro

While I saw lots of review about the noise of the 19-21 RDX, Acura did substantial sound deadening improvements in the mid model refresh for the 22 RDX.

My 22 RDX is at least as quiet (and maybe a tad quieter) than my 2020 MDX hybrid Advance. In the 22 RDX, the Advance trims have more sound deadening (rear acoustic glass) than the lower trims.
Old 09-18-2022 | 07:37 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by mvl
While I saw lots of review about the noise of the 19-21 RDX, Acura did substantial sound deadening improvements in the mid model refresh for the 22 RDX.

My 22 RDX is at least as quiet (and maybe a tad quieter) than my 2020 MDX hybrid Advance. In the 22 RDX, the Advance trims have more sound deadening (rear acoustic glass) than the lower trims.
Good to hear Acura is getting serious about road noise. Rear road noise was the #1 reason I scratched the 19 RDX off my list when I was looking to upgrade my 08 RDX back in 2019. Road noise was improved with the 3rd Gen RDX; but, still noticeable to me compared to my 11 MDX Adv. Road noise roar was too much sometimes in my 08 RDX on road trips at +80 mph for 2-12 hours. Switching out the OEM tires to Conti DWS 06 helped a bit; but, not to the same level of noise reduction compared to putting Conti DWS 06 on my 06 TSX or 11 MDX. Looking forward to changing out my worn OEM tires on my 19 MDX hybrid w/ +38,000 miles to Conti DWS 06+ tires in a few months to see how they perform.

Last edited by mrgold35; 09-18-2022 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-18-2022 | 09:44 PM
Instructor

Glad to hear the newer RDX is improved for road noise. Like Mrgold35 we scratched the RDX off the list very quickly. Drove it on the same road as we did the MDX hybrid. While DW could easily hear front seat conversation while sitting in the 3rd row seat in the MDX, she couldn't hear front seat conversation in the RDX in the second seat. For whatever reason IMHO Honda is WAY behind other mfg in making cars with low levels of road noise, and making them pretty insenstive to tire variations for road noise. We really hadn't even considered a Honda or Acura when we started looking because of our experience with Hnoda road noise in two previous honda's and in friends hondas. The only reason we decided to give it a try was the auto show and seeing a MDX hybrid. With the hybrid we decided we'd give it a try and were really suprised at the low level of road noise. Not as quiet as our denali diesel pickup but pretty darn close and good enough that on long road drives in states with high speed limits (80+) (for us long is 700+ ,miles/day) the cabin is quiet enough that we still arrive w/o a headache.
The following 2 users liked this post by MCRacer:
bmoua15 (09-18-2022), mrgold35 (09-19-2022)
Old 09-20-2022 | 01:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

andy
You guys are right. Thus far, we've actually gotten better gas mileage in the MDX. Granted when I drove the turbo RDX, I drove faster (man it was fun to drive)

And Andy, I absolutely echo the love for our 2019 "Advance". This is our second Advance model as our ZDX was an Advance, but our first MDX Advance. I won't get another trim going forward. The Milano leather is gorgeous. All the little additions such as the Surround-View Camera and heated second row captains chairs are a nice touch. Plus the painted bumpers and LED fog lights finish the exterior off nicely.

Long live the 3rd gen Advance!
What type of gas mileage were you/are you getting?
Old 09-22-2022 | 08:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ESHBG
What type of gas mileage were you/are you getting?
For mixed driving (rural, some city) I get anywhere between 22.5 and 24 depending on how often I sit with the AC on waiting for my wife while she shops :-) On the highway I can easily get 27 mpg. IN the winter it drops to the 21-22 range. As a comparison, my '13 MDX would get 3mpg less in all of the above situations.....
ESHBG (09-22-2022)
Old 09-22-2022 | 02:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

For mixed driving (rural, some city) I get anywhere between 22.5 and 24 depending on how often I sit with the AC on waiting for my wife while she shops :-) On the highway I can easily get 27 mpg. IN the winter it drops to the 21-22 range. As a comparison, my '13 MDX would get 3mpg less in all of the above situations.....
Thank you. What's wild is I am 90% city driving in my TSX and sometimes I don't even crack 20 MPG, even when I go easy on 'er.