2017 Sport Hybrid Intermittent System Warnings Flashing on Dash

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2024, 05:52 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Sport Hybrid Intermittent System Warnings Flashing on Dash

About a month ago I replaced my original battery with a Costco new one. About two or three times a week we see these warning flashing lights on our dash. After starting and stopping the car numerous times they go away and don't seem to impact the functioning of the car. I disconnected the battery and reinstalled it and they still are happening. Any ideas you guys have would be appreciated

Old 07-18-2024, 10:50 PM
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 74 Posts
Assuming that the Costco battery is the correct one for the car, the first thing that I would do is test the battery to make sure that it's good. The systems in modern cars are very sensitive as far as voltage is concerned and they go crazy when something is off. Even when new, a battery can be defective.

Our MDX Sport Hybrid was doing the same thing when it was around 1.5 years old and after testing the battery, the dealer replaced it under warranty. The issues never came back after that.

I now have a Costco battery in the car and everything is working as it should.

Last edited by MBP 03; 07-18-2024 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-19-2024, 08:11 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Seems like Acura vehicles can sometimes give x-mas tree of warning lights when the 12v battery is weak or failing. A simple test is to put the 12v battery on a charger to see what the % of charge is above 40% and see if the warning light go away when fully charged. My old Acura's would sometimes have a slowly failing alternator and it wouldn't charge the 12v and run the Acura with enough power. The vehicle would give similar warning lights and would steal power from 12v until it kills the battery. I think the sport hybrid uses the DC inverter instead of an alternator so that probably isn't the problem.

I replaced my OEM battery on my 19 MDX Sport Hybrid after +5 years and +53,000 miles. I wasn't having any issues with the OEM battery; but, had issues with previous Acura OEM battery failing around the 3-4 years timeframe. Replace with a Costco AGM H6 (48) part #: 1624799, CCA 760, CA 950. So far, zero issues.
Old 07-19-2024, 06:23 PM
8th Gear

I replaced the original battery with 130,000 miles on on it from 2017 when new with a Costco battery about 6 weeks ago. I'm certain I used the correct part number battery but I will double check. With the old battery original battery I was having no warning light problems as I do now. I did notice one of the terminal bolts was a little loose a couple of weeks after installing the new battery..so I tightened it and ended upbreaking the post so I went to AutoZone and bought a new terminal post and installed it and now the terminal bolts are nice and tight. I also took the new Costco battery to AutoZone and had them test it and they said it was fine and the battery is in perfect condition but as a precaution I'm going to return it to Costco and get another one and try that to make sure I certain the battery is good. I hope this is a battery issue but can't be certain.. I'll keep you posted.. please anymore ideas are welcome thank you all so much
Old 09-02-2024, 11:36 AM
8th Gear

Update

So replacing my battery did not stop the warning light flashing so I took it to the Acura dealer ..they told me I needed a front-facing rear camera replacement at a cost of $1,800 they replaced the camera but the flashing lights continued
Step 2: they next they involved an Acura Field Regional Tech and told me I need a dashboard circuit board replacement so they did that and the cost was $2,000... the flashing warning lights stopped appearing but now it's showing a code that says I need a new transmission and they can't clear the code.. so they haven't even given me a price yet but the service representative said the "part" alone is $22,000... Im assuming by part she means entire transmission...I'm getting extremely disgusted.. Acura Client Services is involved.. hopefully they'll help.. any ideas? this is crazy ?I love my hybrid MDX and I've never had one problem with it and never suspected anything wrong with the trans...
has anyone else had to have a hybrid MDX transmission replaced

Last edited by phybridmdx; 09-02-2024 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-09-2024, 09:22 PM
Racer

I would take the car to another dealership or to an independent mechanic for another diagnosis and opinion on what may be going on. There is no such thing as a general code that says that you need a new transmission and hearing stuff like that makes me question the competency of the service department.

Did your vehicle ever have the recall done where they update the software to fix the issue with the transmission odd gear monitor?

It sounds like the current dealer is firing the parts cannon at your expense without a proper diagnosis and you may very well be paying for unneeded part replacements.
Old 09-09-2024, 09:42 PM
Racer

Even though you said that you replaced the battery again, I still wouldn't rule out a voltage issue.

I don't know what part of the country you're in and whether corrosion is a factor or not, but I would also check the condition of the battery cables and engine grounds.