2014 MDX vs. what? Mercedes GL?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 11:50 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2014 MDX vs. what? Mercedes GL?

I have owned an MDX since 2001 and am on my third model. I have loved my MDX's and have not liked some things about them. I am about to get rid of my 2011 MDX and am in the market for a replacement vehicle. I was about to purchase the 2014 until I heard people say the new vehicle is SMALLER and the gas tank holds less gas (improved gas mileage makes up for)

I have three kids and right now my current MDX is at it's limit with size, I like the size and do not want smaller. A little larger would be great too

The things I am looking for in a new vehicle
- Comfort
- Ride and Handling
- Size
- Style
- Technology
- Gas mileage

The only areas I think the new MDX fails is in the Size and possibly the tech. these have have been done better elsewhere in both areas IMO.

However, given my concerns and previous love for the MDX, do I just get the 2014 or what are my options for a vehicle?
*I have read the Infiniti isn't a good option and would wait for the new model but was looking to make a move now
* I can't do a Buick or GMC, I just don't like the way they look
* I have heard the Pathfinder and Nissan are not great vehicles from a handling POV, anyone weigh in here?

Is the only other option the Mercedes GL? The MDX is the smallest vehicle I would consider and I would even like a little larger

My husband says the current MDX's are better models (2010-2013) then the current 2014 and he suggests just keeping my car or getting the '13 MDX.

Appreciate any feedback you may have.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:35 AM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you an afford a GL, you should get a GL. You are comparing apples to oranges by comparing an MDX and GL.

MDX in my opinion is a middle of the road car in every sense. Despite what our amigos in this forum think, an MDX is a compromise car in every sense - It has everything you will need but not one bit more: space, pricing, luxury, cache - you name it. To me, that's the appeal. I don't care much for a brand and I don't need the best of the best in every sense. I will rather compromise and keep the extra money in my pocket.
The following 2 users liked this post by kriore:
cksocal (07-12-2013), justnspace (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 12:53 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by kriore
If you an afford a GL, you should get a GL. You are comparing apples to oranges by comparing an MDX and GL.

MDX in my opinion is a middle of the road car in every sense. Despite what our amigos in this forum think, an MDX is a compromise car in every sense - It has everything you will need but not one bit more: space, pricing, luxury, cache - you name it. To me, that's the appeal. I don't care much for a brand and I don't need the best of the best in every sense. I will rather compromise and keep the extra money in my pocket.
That's true! I like your thinking and you are right, and that is why I have always stuck with the MDX. My problem is that they have now shrunk down the MDX and I think in essence they have made it worse for someone like me, not better. I actually would rather not be driving a vehicle as expensive as a GL and do not like driving something that people consider a status symbol, not me. However, I am in my vehicle A LOT and would like to not feel cramped and have my kids fighting because there isn't space. I was considering a previously owned GL and could get the pricing around the same as the MDX. I lease my vehicles for business purposes and need to focus on the monthly payment cost.

However, I am very tempted by the MDX. My dealership is offering me the 2014 tech at $560 a month for the lease price (with tax that comes to $603 a month in Ca)

The only other option that I could think of is the Infiniti, but others have said negative things about the engine and that's the last thing I need.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:49 AM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cksocal
I lease my vehicles for business purposes and need to focus on the monthly payment cost.

However, I am very tempted by the MDX. My dealership is offering me the 2014 tech at $560 a month for the lease price (with tax that comes to $603 a month in Ca)

The only other option that I could think of is the Infiniti, but others have said negative things about the engine and that's the last thing I need.
Have you had an opportunity to take the family to a dealer and give it a try in all the areas you noted? Is the cabin a little smaller: in width yes, but not in length so the third row is more accessible (not perfect but worth checking out). I traded in my 2010 MDX for the '14 FWD Tech this week and to me everthing is improved. Of course your own needs/taste are the most important in the decision you make.

There is a lot of good info in most forums but I like to take the info (and many opinions) and then go get in the vehicle and see what I think.

Good luck in your research/decision!
The following users liked this post:
cksocal (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 07:40 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
You MAY want the check out the Infiniti JX/QX60 ... I don't think we are getting one but it is a touch more spacious and larger than the MDX. The tech features are a slight bit better than the MDX. It maybe feels a touch more upscale but does not drive as sporty and feels more SUV like. They are also coming out with a hybrid in October than obtains around 25mpg city, 27mpg hwy. Personally I didn't care for the JX's feel and ride versus the MDX but did like most everything else. They hybrid might be the perfect combo.
cksocal (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 08:48 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
For me, the GL and the 14-MDX are my only two options. The GL does provide a little more space and quite a few creature comforts but comes at a premium price. If i were to go with the GL, i would only go used and you'd be surprised what the cost is for a used GL with under 20K miles. What does worry me is the maintenance and upkeep. Not to mention the GL is a gas guzzler.

As the previous posters have mentioned, for its price-point the MDX is a great option but middle ground.

Whats that old saying? "Jack of all trades but master of nothing."
The following 2 users liked this post by TiggaMan909:
Acura_Dude (07-12-2013), cksocal (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 09:04 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
^
Old 07-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I will be cross-shopping the MDX with the JX35. I love the tech available on the JX as well as the low pricing (available for $2-3k under invoice right now). However, a lot of people are complaining about the power. And gas mileage and long-term reliability is not as good as Acura.

But I actually like that the MDX doesn't offer a lot of luxury cache and flies under the radar. Especially in the company parking lot, I don't need something that screams "I can afford to spend X on a car".
The following 3 users liked this post by TyroneBiggums:
Acura_Dude (07-12-2013), cksocal (07-12-2013), rhn75 (07-22-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 10:43 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by TyroneBiggums
I will be cross-shopping the MDX with the JX35. I love the tech available on the JX as well as the low pricing (available for $2-3k under invoice right now). However, a lot of people are complaining about the power. And gas mileage and long-term reliability is not as good as Acura.

But I actually like that the MDX doesn't offer a lot of luxury cache and flies under the radar. Especially in the company parking lot, I don't need something that screams "I can afford to spend X on a car".
Wow, you people are awesome and are definitely right on the mark! I am in the same boat, I LOVE that the Acura flies under the radar...I am definitely not a show boat and this is a big deal to me. I think you all have appealed to my practical side and I will continue on and get the '14 MDX.
Acura_Dude (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 10:50 AM
David_Dude

MDX, MDX, MDX!
Old 07-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In Canada, the tech in the mdx blows away all the competition. I did compare it to the JX and it has all of the JX plus a few more.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Unfortunately, there is no car that satisfies all requirements. There will be always compromises. If you are able to afford GL's high maintenance cost and depreciation (of course gas prices), GL is definitely better than MDX. They are not in the same class.

MDX 2013 vs. MDX 2014, of course, I do much love MDX 2014 (because I bought it) But, at least, (1) comfort and quietness, (2) Technology, (3) Gas mileage, 2014 is just far better than previous models. I also think 2014's ride/handing should be close to the previous generation. I think it's a no-brainer: Get MDX 2014 if you want to buy MDX, unless there is a *significant* discount on 2013 model.

But, I have concern because you have three kids. I don't think MDX (neither 2013 nor 2014) can provide roomy space. JX35/QX60 would be a better answer. Their magic (folding 2nd row seat with car seat for 3rd row access) is a great feature. Of course, GL is better in space.

It's clear you don't like a mini van. Then, there aren't many choices for three kids SUV. I also don't think you will like Lexus LX...

Last edited by printf; 07-12-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:31 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a 2013 GL550. Great car but a little too big for us (2 young kids). We are now actually considering the 2014 MDX as it seems to be the perfect size. GL 550 is quite the car - exclusive etc but I'd rather save $40k+ and get the MDX.
Flame3g (07-13-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 01:00 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Only an opinion but I don't think compromise is necessarily the best word here, every car is a compromise or has compromises to some extent, it depends on what one is looking for, and nothing is perfect despite how much it costs or how highly regarded for whatever reasons. I think balance is a good term and is one of the key attractions to the MDX.

It is a little premature for many other areas of the vehicle but there are some key areas that should prove to be first rate where Honda/Acura typically is, resale, reliability, safety, etc. Probably not the most luxurious nor does it offer every option possible but you also don't pay for that. We will have to wait and see but I would not be surprised if the MDX turns out to be the most performance capable as a whole and gets the best mpg within the heart and volume of the segment.

As for it's size, it was already a class leader in terms of interior volumes that they could actually afford to shrink the vehicle with room to spare. It was very large for a mid (built off a shared platform with the Honda minivan and larger Pilot), but too big actually, as it was borderline full size offerings and that took a little away from what the core of the mid size market is looking for. It is designed as a 7 seater from scratch, not an odd on so it's going to be bigger for a mid SUV. Some mids don't offer 7 seats at all.

One would be surprised to learn that the previous MDX is/was only short 1ft in passenger volume compared to the current GL and the GL is considered a full or large size SUV where the MDX is a mid. Similar extent for the Pathfinder, also a large or full size SUV and the previous MDX was/is only down 7 cu ft.

The MDX is great as a mid size SUV as far as space is concerned both before and now, but if one needs a true full size and more room, that is another story. The new MDX did lose some space but if they took a few away here but added one in a better spot for example, as well as improved the seats and adjustability, one may not notice. I can't comment one way or another.

Op, if the interior volume is going to be the main issue, it's possible this new MDX may not cut it. If it were me, I would check it out and get a fair assessment first hand, aside from space there is so much improved, and if it's a no go, I would hang onto the current model for the time being. If you must have a new car and more room soon, I would suggest a Honda Pilot, it seats 8 and is class leading in passenger volume for the non luxury segment and coming from an Acura, it would be very familiar.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 07-13-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Here are some options

Nissan armada
Infinity Qx or whatever it's called
Mini-van - I have both mdx and odyssey and we use the ody for everything unless its snowing out.
Chevy Tahoe
Chevy suburban
GMC
Honda pilot
Old 07-21-2013, 07:18 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ntwillie1
Here are some options

Mini-van - I have both mdx and odyssey and we use the ody for everything unless its snowing out.

Honda pilot
I also at some point considered the GL, but now I've pretty much narrowed my search to the MDX and the Odyssey. But I can't make up my mind!

Since you have both, can you please describe what advantages/disadvantages you see in the Odyssey vs MDX? You imply it doesn't do well in the snow, how about in the rain?
Old 07-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Instructor

If you plan on keeping the vehicle past the factory warranty then go with the Acura. Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Land Rover, Range Rover are nice cars, however, they're terribly expensive to repair and seem to have lots of problems as they age. Acura will have better resale too. I've had personal experience with all and always come back to Acura, Toyota, or Honda.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:49 PM
Racer

Mdx v ody

Originally Posted by 14mdx?
I also at some point considered the GL, but now I've pretty much narrowed my search to the MDX and the Odyssey. But I can't make up my mind!

Since you have both, can you please describe what advantages/disadvantages you see in the Odyssey vs MDX? You imply it doesn't do well in the snow, how about in the rain?
Hey there, how are you? I am not implying that the odyssey is not good in the snow. It is heavy and front wheel drive so it does well in the snow. We had it one full winter so far and it snowed a lot up here and I did use it in the snow and it was fine. What I was saying was that since we owe both cars that I typically use the awd of the mdx to take the kids to school if it is snowing out. Plus the mdx has higher ground clearance so I am able to get around a little better in the snow. Both cars do well in the rain as well.

Advantages of mdx would be awd, higher ground clearance, sportier look and feel. Disadvantages would be higher price tag and not as good mpg (avg 18 city and hwy for me)

Advantages of Odyssey would be much more room than mdx, better mpg (avg 24 city and hwy) lower price for my odyssey touring elite than my mdx advance, larger entertainment screen, more cup holders (lol), takes regular gas vs premium.

Disadvantage would be no awd but fwd is still very capable.

Tht
Wil
14mdx? (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 09:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts
Buick Enclave? Personally I would not buy one, but I have heard they have the extra room you are looking for.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:14 PM
5th Gear

ntwillie1, thanks, this is very valuable information for me. I have one kid who's a little over a year old and a new one coming soon. My main concern is how comfortable it would be to squeeze in two child seats and another 2 or 3 adults. Do you have experience with child seats?

As for the OP's observations - I admire your ability to fit three kids in your MDX (do any require child seats?). I think you're right that, in that price range, the GL is the only car big enough (although Lexus has the LX which I haven't tried). I test drove one and really liked it; except for the price!

Not too far below in luxury but a good 20K cheaper is the Infiniti QX56. At least to me this really seemed like a huge whale of a car. Although as with most SUVs, it seems much bigger on the outside than on the inside...

Wouldn't you consider a minivan? I test drove the '14 Odyssey this weekend and really liked the space you get. Nowhere near as powerful or luxurious as the GL, but surprisingly much roomier on the inside!
Old 07-22-2013, 04:22 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by cksocal

Not sure if you are referring to the JX or the QX. I have two friends who have QX's and they have had no problems (Of course this is not exactly a statistically significant sample!).

The QX is very spacious, and although it is heavy, it has a powerful V8 that has no problem moving the thing. Personally I didn't like it because it is huge like a tank, but if I had 3 kids and were considering an SUV, this one would be a contender...
Old 07-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My neighbors white QX reminds me of a whale. A lot of great deals on these but just too darn big and ugly for me.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:09 PM
Intermediate

Advantages of Odyssey would be much more room than mdx, better mpg (avg 24 city and hwy) lower price for my odyssey touring elite than my mdx advance, larger entertainment screen, more cup holders (lol), takes regular gas vs premium.
Just to be clear, the 2014 MDX offers much better mileage than previous years and may be comparable and potentially better than the 2014 Odyssey. The large entertainment screen is available with the Adv/Ent model, but it does cost quite a bit more than the Odyssey Touring/Elite.

I also took the Odyssey (2013) for a test drive. It has a ridiculous amount of space. The MDX has enough space for me (I have one kid with one on the way), and it offers the features I want that I'm willing to pay for. If I had three kids, I would probably have to go with the Odyssey.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts
2014 Odyssey
Old 07-22-2013, 07:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by 14mdx?
ntwillie1, thanks, this is very valuable information for me. I have one kid who's a little over a year old and a new one coming soon. My main concern is how comfortable it would be to squeeze in two child seats and another 2 or 3 adults. Do you have experience with child seats?

As for the OP's observations - I admire your ability to fit three kids in your MDX (do any require child seats?). I think you're right that, in that price range, the GL is the only car big enough (although Lexus has the LX which I haven't tried). I test drove one and really liked it; except for the price!

Not too far below in luxury but a good 20K cheaper is the Infiniti QX56. At least to me this really seemed like a huge whale of a car. Although as with most SUVs, it seems much bigger on the outside than on the inside...

Wouldn't you consider a minivan? I test drove the '14 Odyssey this weekend and really liked the space you get. Nowhere near as powerful or luxurious as the GL, but surprisingly much roomier on the inside!
As one who has owned minivans over the years as well as SUVs, I can say that most SUVs are hard pressed to be as effective a people mover as minivans while at the same time maintaining carlike driving dynamics.

If I had a third child in addition to my 6 y/o and 3 y/o (and if the wifey was not so vehemently against going back to minivans), I probably would have opted for a 12 Odyssey EX-L over the 12 MDX Tech we currently have.

Honestly, minivans are only "lacking" when it comes to style and power....but even that is quite subjective.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SkylineUSA
Just to be clear, the 2014 MDX offers much better mileage than previous years and may be comparable and potentially better than the 2014 Odyssey. The large entertainment screen is available with the Adv/Ent model, but it does cost quite a bit more than the Odyssey Touring/Elite.

I also took the Odyssey (2013) for a test drive. It has a ridiculous amount of space. The MDX has enough space for me (I have one kid with one on the way), and it offers the features I want that I'm willing to pay for. If I had three kids, I would probably have to go with the Odyssey.
I'm not sure how old your first child is, but if still in a stroller then you might want to rethink the MDX. I can say that I can put two strollers in the trunk of the MDX, diaper bags/kid stuff, and thats about it. If i was doing groceries then i would have to put some in the trunk and some on the floor in the front seat (my wife sits in the second row wit both of our kids (4 and 1) whenever we have used the MDX. If you will only have 1 stroller then i think you won't mind it as much.

With the Mini-Van I load that mother up with a double stroller, a single stroller, a radio flyer, and whatever else crap I need. Otherwise I can put my road bike in there as well as a the radio flyer or the double stroller and diaper bags/kid stuff and a cooler and well you get the idea. its very spacious and comfortable. And to be honest, i don't mind the look of the 2012 Odyssey TE we have at all. I think it looks very nice and performs decently.

Last edited by ntwillie1; 07-22-2013 at 09:14 PM.
SkylineUSA (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Intermediate

I'm not sure how old your first child is, but if still in a stroller then you might want to rethink the MDX. I can say that I can put two strollers in the trunk of the MDX, diaper bags/kid stuff, and thats about it. If i was doing groceries then i would have to put some in the trunk and some on the floor in the front seat (my wife sits in the second row wit both of our kids (4 and 1) whenever we have used the MDX. If you will only have 1 stroller then i think you won't mind it as much.

With the Mini-Van I load that mother up with a double stroller, a single stroller, a radio flyer, and whatever else crap I need. Otherwise I can put my road bike in there as well as a the radio flyer or the double stroller and diaper bags/kid stuff and a cooler and well you get the idea. its very spacious and comfortable. And to be honest, i don't mind the look of the 2012 Odyssey TE we have at all. I think it looks very nice and performs decently.
Thanks for the feedback! My first kid is 2, so we'll have two car seats, and two strollers. I agree the strollers take up a lot of space, but I have compact folding strollers. I've been managing one child with my small WRX all this time. It's hard to imagine not being able to make it with an MDX. True, I won't have the luxury of carrying more stuff though. It's a compromise in the end, because I wanted something with a relatively sporty driving experience, given I won't be able to drive the WRX on weekends any more.

My wife wanted the Odyssey, so I can't tell her what you said.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:53 AM
David_Dude

Originally Posted by SkylineUSA
My wife wanted the Odyssey, so I can't tell her what you said.