Are you dreading buying new tires this year?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Are you dreading buying new tires this year?

I know I am, I've got bridgestone ponteza pole positions, and they're incredible.. but they're also $250 - $325 a tire depending on where you buy them.. This year I'm probably going to have to look at a cheaper tire. I like getting all weather tires, but I need some feed back...

Do you think All weather really matters with low profile tires?

Would it be more beneficial to save the money and buy a Summer tire?

Whats the perks of a Summer tire over incredible All weathers?

What type of tire are you running, how do you like it, and how much were they?
Old 03-24-2010, 08:17 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It depends on where you live and if you get any snow whatsoever. If you do get some snow then go with all-season. If you don't then you can get away with summer tires.

When I had my 1G TSX I used Yokohama YK520's and I thought they were good.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:28 AM
Instructor

The YK520's run about $150 a tire.

Also note that even though summer tires have the best performance vs all-season they tend to wear faster and most average 10-15k miles when driven hard. That's because they have softer rubber than compared to all-season. The advantage then of summer tires are that they do a better job of gripping the road, which improves handling, braking and acceleration

All-season will be the most practical tires. Yes, you may sacrifice some performance but they will last a little longer and cost less too.

It's up to you as far as what you're really looking for.

If you want performance and can afford going through tires quicker then get the summer tires.

Otherwise all-season would be the choice.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:40 AM
Racer

I went with dedicated summer tires and winter tires. All seasons are a good compromise between the two, but they are not as good as dedicated tires. I've seen tests that show, for obvious reasons, that summer tires handle better in dry/wet and winter tires do much better in snow/wet than all seasons. So if you can afford to have two sets of tires, I'd say that's the way to go.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Burning Brakes

So summer tires perform better in rain then All weather tires?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tishkevich
Yes, summer tires are better in the rain than all-season.
As chibianh stated all season tires are a compromise of summer and winter tires. So you get a tire that performs average/mediocre in the snow and dry/wet conditions.

Most people don't mind all season tires as they are not pushing their tires to the limits. They just want to go from point A to point B so they stick with the most practical choice.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:04 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chibianh
I went with dedicated summer tires and winter tires. All seasons are a good compromise between the two, but they are not as good as dedicated tires. I've seen tests that show, for obvious reasons, that summer tires handle better in dry/wet and winter tires do much better in snow/wet than all seasons. So if you can afford to have two sets of tires, I'd say that's the way to go.
Agree with Chibianh
When I was living in Indiana, had two sets of wheels with different tyres (for my 6th gen accord). I found it more convenient to swap out the summer rims when winter came around and put on the ugly steelies with winter tires. This also saves your rims from winter damage as well (depending on if you get snow in your region)
Old 03-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Racer

as others have mentioned, yes. Here's a good article that tests all 3 types of tires in snow, wet, and dry environments.

http://www.insideline.com/features/t...vs-summer.html
Old 03-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Was trying to get some brand names and experiences though, was making more of an informative thread then anything
Old 03-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
I kinda had the same question cause I gotta get some rubber soon for my 18's.

I do mostly highway driving and I've got my kid in the backseat half the time so I'm definitely not pushing the limits but I also like a spirited ride. I'd say treadwear is the first priority, followed closely by price and then performance.

I'm probably going to end up with a decent all-season and not a dedicated summer. I really want Toyos but the budget will probably mean I'm getting Falkens.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Well my all weather bridgestone ponteza 245 35 19 re960as pole position xl's.. Were great Soft ride, great grip on the road , rated for 20k miles, i've gotten 23k miles out of them with very aggressive driving and they still hav e greater then 50% tread left

down side?
$250 - $325 a tire.

Last edited by Tishkevich; 03-24-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by 5thTo2nd
I kinda had the same question cause I gotta get some rubber soon for my 18's.

I do mostly highway driving and I've got my kid in the backseat half the time so I'm definitely not pushing the limits but I also like a spirited ride. I'd say treadwear is the first priority, followed closely by price and then performance.

I'm probably going to end up with a decent all-season and not a dedicated summer. I really want Toyos but the budget will probably mean I'm getting Falkens.
^Same here. I am using the stock 17" w/ all season Michelins for Fall and Winter, and switch to 19" w/ Summer Yokohama's rest of the time. It does not snow very much here in Vancouver.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:52 AM
Instructor

If you go to the Discount Tire website and input your vehicle info you can find reviews from owners of similar makes and models of your vehicle. You probably won't find that many reviews on 2009-2010 TSX models, so you might have to change your model year to a 1G TSX. That's how I decided to go with Kumo's YK520 for when I had my 1G TSX.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Burning Brakes

meh, tire racks been good to me in terms of reviews, I was lookin for more of personal opinions, then the reviews on the websites :-P
Old 04-19-2010, 07:32 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
meh, tire racks been good to me in terms of reviews, I was lookin for more of personal opinions, then the reviews on the websites :-P
I had Bridgestone RE960's like you (225/45 17) on my Civic. They were $160/each and were at 46,000 miles and had another 5-10,000 to go before replacement. Were a very good tire, but very heavy. I had General's UHP before that, lighter tire/soft sidewall. Only lasted 38,000 miles and got VERY loud after about 25,000 miles, but were only $77 when I got them (cost more now). I am thinking of going with a summer tire as well on my TSX, instead of all-seasons, but want to find one with decent wear (not much snow in NC).

How did you buy your Bridgestones? Tirerack? I don't see where Ronjons sells tires and wheels as a package.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I bought my tires off of tire rack. RJ stopped selling wheels and tire packages a few years back he said they were damaged during shipping to often then not, I believe anyway don't quote me.

The tire rack to the authorized installer option is what I did, and doin that I ended up with damaged wheels and 3 months of hassling to get a new set of rims and a check for $1800. So free wheels awesome right? Yeah.. But I'll never do that again with wheels I care about, Those small shops don't take there time when mounting and balancing they just get the tire on how ever they can and balance it and put it back on the car.

Dealership has been the only place that hasn't damaged my rims and bought me a new one. I've been to Mr Tire, Firestone, this small auto place near my house, and ALL of them have bought me a new rim or wrote me a check for a new rim.