time for coilovers or struts, strut leaking....things to consider and look for..

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 10:14 AM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
time for coilovers or struts, strut leaking....things to consider and look for..

So it seems the megan ez or tein street advanced are a pretty reasonable price and good kit...

This is a true daily driver, currently lowered on H&R (sport pretty sure) nothing real crazy....
The driver side strut is leaking now....
So either go cheap and $200 for KYB sturts in front
Middle road $350 for Koni yellows in front

Or either Tein or megan coilovers for like $610 vs $800, but now have all four corners fresh!
Given price Tein seems to do all the Megan does and $190 cheaper

If i go just struts I probably will want new sping perches or mounts as well..
Do they coilovers add noise or harshness over H&R lowering springs and struts?

Thanks,

Last edited by blownby; 08-08-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
Tein SA's are very high quality and will ride better than stock. They are not full body adjustable like the Megans. They will still get the car pretty low. I have a set with like 50 or 55k on them and they're still going. I will assume that they will last til 75K until I consider them worn out. Excellent for an aftermarket part...especially one that costs $600.

If you're looking to slam the car on its testicles...buy the Megans...or a better option would be Tein Street Flex.

Koni yellows are excellent shocks, and they will be the most durable overall. I think tire rack is having a sale on Koni yellow/H&R spring combos. Or...they were, at least.

I still like the Teins more than the Koni for daily use because their corrosion coating is WAY better. Plus, you have height adjustment and simplicity of having dampers matched to the spring.

What do you mean new spring perches? Top hats? Your stock ones really shouldn't ever wear out. You can snag some TL-S tophat bushings if you want them to feel a bit more crisp....but you likely will not notice the difference.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:40 PM
Racer

Excellent. I don't have any desire to slam it more than the ~ 1" of the current H&R springs. It rides perfect with the wheel tire combo now 255/35 19 & 275/35 19.
I wil probably go with the tein SA then. Yea i was referring to spring perches/ the rubber mount at the shock tower. I will stick with oem originals if you feel they should last a long time. car has 43k on it now, so was just wondering if I should repace as i was in there now or just wait till next 75K miles when these coilovers wear out and need replaced to replace them then
Old 08-08-2016, 04:48 PM
Safety Car

Your tophats won't wear out any time soon. There's not much to them at all. They're just rubber bushings and a metal plate. So unless they're damaged by rust or a bad installation of springs...they're fine. I've never seen tophats wear out on double wishbone hondas. I just did a shock install on an accord with 215k miles worth of Chicagoland driving. The tophats were fine.

You will need to swap the tophats on to the Teins. Some people buy a second set for the convenience of not having to take apart their existing shock assemblies.

I have always just reused the stock, existing tophats.
The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 07:19 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Originally Posted by Roland_Bluntzs
Your tophats won't wear out any time soon. There's not much to them at all. They're just rubber bushings and a metal plate. So unless they're damaged by rust or a bad installation of springs...they're fine. I've never seen tophats wear out on double wishbone hondas. I just did a shock install on an accord with 215k miles worth of Chicagoland driving. The tophats were fine.

You will need to swap the tophats on to the Teins. Some people buy a second set for the convenience of not having to take apart their existing shock assemblies.

I have always just reused the stock, existing tophats.
Yep I bought a second set of top hats for convenience. Not a huge cost, and I figured if I needed to sell the car, I wouldn't have to spend time in putting the top hats back onto the OEM shocks. Not that it's a difficult or very time consuming thing to do; just personal preference
Old 08-09-2016, 09:45 AM
Racer

Thanks, stock top hats should come off easy enuf as I just put the H&R lowering springs on fall 2014.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:17 PM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
Sounds like deja vu for me. I went through the same motions a few years ago.

Lowered on Tein s tech on stock struts February 2011. Loved it but blew the driver front shock after and replaced with Koni Yellows in the front only around October 2013 after roughly 20,000 miles put on the originals. I first installed on lower Koni perch which lowered the car an additional half inch or so but the ride quality really suffered. Became very bouncy. Nothing like it drove with springs and stock shocks. A couple weeks later switched the spring perch from lower to higher. That made it better but was still not acceptable for ride comfort. I played with all the rebound setting on the shock and no setting returned results that I liked.

I took a plunge and bought my first set of coilovers. Megan EZ streets. At the time a lot of people had them and their reviews seemed good enough. I was not impressed one bit by these Megans when set to a ride height the same as the Tein Springs drop. Again a bouncy ride with less spring travel. I would constantly be swerving the road trying to avoid road imperfections I had learned would produce a loud clunk.

I literally had them on for like 3 months/2300 miles before I said screw it and decided I was going back to stock shocks and Tein lowering springs as for me that was the best combination of comfort and handling.

My experience with coilovers left me wondering how the more expensive coilovers could be magnitudes better than the Megans I had tried. I imagine it the age old you "get what you pay for" type of thing but don't know for sure since ive never purchased or experienced any other sets.

I have been back to this original set up since November 2014 and no issues since and very happy. I'm sure someone will chime and say hey I don't want to pay for new shocks every 20,000 miles and I agree I don't either. I suspect my blown shock was more from my 2.5" driveway lip that I solved by altering some plastic car ramps to smooth out the transition.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:32 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Originally Posted by Terdbath
Sounds like deja vu for me. I went through the same motions a few years ago.

Lowered on Tein s tech on stock struts February 2011. Loved it but blew the driver front shock after and replaced with Koni Yellows in the front only around October 2013 after roughly 20,000 miles put on the originals. I first installed on lower Koni perch which lowered the car an additional half inch or so but the ride quality really suffered. Became very bouncy. Nothing like it drove with springs and stock shocks. A couple weeks later switched the spring perch from lower to higher. That made it better but was still not acceptable for ride comfort. I played with all the rebound setting on the shock and no setting returned results that I liked.

I took a plunge and bought my first set of coilovers. Megan EZ streets. At the time a lot of people had them and their reviews seemed good enough. I was not impressed one bit by these Megans when set to a ride height the same as the Tein Springs drop. Again a bouncy ride with less spring travel. I would constantly be swerving the road trying to avoid road imperfections I had learned would produce a loud clunk.

I literally had them on for like 3 months/2300 miles before I said screw it and decided I was going back to stock shocks and Tein lowering springs as for me that was the best combination of comfort and handling.

My experience with coilovers left me wondering how the more expensive coilovers could be magnitudes better than the Megans I had tried. I imagine it the age old you "get what you pay for" type of thing but don't know for sure since ive never purchased or experienced any other sets.

I have been back to this original set up since November 2014 and no issues since and very happy. I'm sure someone will chime and say hey I don't want to pay for new shocks every 20,000 miles and I agree I don't either. I suspect my blown shock was more from my 2.5" driveway lip that I solved by altering some plastic car ramps to smooth out the transition.
Your skepticism is definitely warranted, given what you've gone through on this car alone. However, Megan's are generally known for their ability to slam your car, but unfortunately not for their quality. Many have had issues with their coilovers, and I suspect yes, this is why they are priced accordingly.

TEIN has lowered their prices quite significantly... and if I hadn't jumped on the TEIN Street Basis before this, I would've opted for either their SA or even Flex if I wanted to spend more money. Anyway, my TEIN Street Basis ride great. Not so good when there are broken/chewed up roads, but this is sort of a given. On "normal" roads with some bumps here and there, I have absolutely no complaints. Of course sometimes I wish I had dampening adjustability, but I got what I paid for and I have no regrets at this time. I've put about 35K kilometres on these coilovers and I haven't experienced any issues yet.

Now, I only have experience with TEIN and their Street Basis, so I can't really even comment. Most of what I said above is based on information on this forum.

tl;dr
From what I've read on this forum, I hear Megan's are of terrible quality. I do love my TEINs though.

Last edited by xtcnrice; 08-09-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:57 PM
Safety Car

Tein SA's are very comfortable. As I mentioned...softer than stock. But they have enough low speed damping to keep the car from feeling like a whale.

They will ride much better than the very short stroked Megans. And last longer. You're buying a lot of features with the Megans. The Tein is a more basic setup....but with much better quality and comfort.

They, are, however, a $600 coilover. While you do get quite a bit of quality and longevity....the damping curve isn't as nicely plotted as something by Bilstein or Öhlins (duh). The ride does get a little cadillac floaty on the soft settings. I think there's a lack of midrange damping. If you stiffen them up....the crashiness arrives before the floatyness stops.

So it takes a little time to dial them in. I have my sedan's 55K mile SA's set to -4F and -7R. I am starting to run out of clicks because they're wearing out haha. Pretty soon, -4 will be too soft and I'll have to click to -3.

The almost new set on our wagon is set at -6F and -8R, IIRC. It still rides very very well. There's some float...but its not awful.

I have driven my SA's over truly mutilated Chicago and NYC pavement and have never felt them to be harsh. Again...they soak up bumps better and with a more solid feel than stock.

I used to have KW's ST-X on the wagon. They were definitely better at keeping the car stable. Much more confidence inspiring. But...they were somewhat harsh over the broken up stuff. Though, they'd probably ride nicer if I had them lowered a little more than I did.

I'd still consider the ST a really great setup. I kept the setup from the wagon in case I ever replace my 1st gen TSX with a 2nd gen (probably not). But...I like the comfort of the Tein a little more....even if the car does float around a tiny bit.

Koni yellows with the RIGHT spring (eibach pro kit or similar) are a great setup too. But..lack features like true height adjustment. And the coating is made from the most delicate of substances (matters if you live in a place where they use road salt). Koni yellows are stock length...so they're meant for modest drops. Great damper plot, though. And they'll never die. They're cheap and easy to rebuild and customize.

Koni yellow and off the shelf ground control springs offer actual height adjustment. They're about $900. Good to consider if you don't live in a terrible climate.

Last edited by BROlando; 08-09-2016 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:06 AM
Racer

Thanks all. I am really planning the Tein at this point.
I am not interested in a big drop. 1" seems about right to get the car with just basically no gap, as the wheels are a tad taller than oem.
I am not sure i am really concerned with the adjustable dampaning, but probably for the extra $150 the options is nice to have!
Old 08-10-2016, 08:17 AM
Safety Car

Last I checked, SA's were within $100 of SB's. The adjustable damping us 110% worth it. I've bought a few sets from THmotorsports.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:28 AM
Safety Car

Its worth noting, however....Tein's minimum drop is about 1+" with sedans. And 1.4" (rear) with wagons.

Meaning that when you completely max the coilovers UPWARD....the drop will still be between 1 and 1.4". I believe that setting them to Tein's recommended measurements via the instruction manual will result in about a 1.5 to 2'' drop.

I had tophat spacers CNC'd (out of aircraft grade, aged aluminum ) for the wagon. I needed more height for winter months. For summer use, I *think* the spacers are un-necessary. But I've never removed the spacers. I just turned the springs down a little for summer.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:37 AM
Racer

Tein SA are just under $600!
Im ordering!!
Old 08-10-2016, 08:47 AM
Racer

Looked up the springs I have h&R sport....
1.3" drop front and rear...
so the minumum drop of 1" for the Tein SA is fine!
Old 08-10-2016, 09:27 AM
Safety Car

Good choice. Let us know how you like em!
Old 08-10-2016, 09:29 AM
Racer

they should be here by Thursday or Friday to be installed this weekend!
Old 08-16-2016, 02:36 PM
Racer

Got them installed in about 4 hrs over the weekend. So far so good.
They seem to ride real nice. Have the car about 1.5" drop, may go up a tad. But seem to have a good 2" left if I wanted to go lower tho!
Not really sure how to state my adjustments....basically there is 32 clicks...

Max soft 16-0 and firm 0-16 Max firm......middle being neutral i guess
I am at like 10 clicks away from max firm on back and 9 click from max firm on front.
Rides great thus far.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:49 PM
Safety Car

Yep. there are 32 clicks for some weird reason. But using a setting past -16 (16 counter clockwise from full stiff) will damage the damper. I am guessing this is because tein uses the same adjuster on all their dampers...and some come with 32 settings.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:18 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First post here, but this is exactly the information I came here for. Appreciate all the input, gentlemen its very helpful. Question though: is there really any point for a daily driven wagon to be on flex? I have RA's on my 00 Si with the pillowball mounts and EDFC.......and the idea of the EDFC is nice for the wagon. How is the ride quality with the flex on our chassis? Even necessary? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:07 AM
Safety Car

Street Flex or Flex A/Z is definitely more agressive than the SA. But..they have to be because they're full body adjustable...so the shock strokes are fairly short at any height. I know full body adjustables allow ride height change without stroke change...but the strokes need to be fairly short to begin with.

For ride quality, I'd bet on the SA or CST.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:30 AM
6th Gear

Yea, thats what I have been thinking and I mean, its an auto wagon, its not going to be going anywhere quick, thats what my K-Civic and R civic are for lol.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:21 PM
Safety Car

I should add that the SA doesn't do well when over-lowered. There is a lot of downward adjustment available...but...you shouldn't lol.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:26 PM
6th Gear

Oh, don't worry about that. I wanted to lower it just enough to have a finger gap between the tire and lip.