Ordering Raven Black Machined tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 11:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ordering Raven Black Machined tomorrow.

I decided to go with the Raven Black. One reason being if I curb one it will be easier to refinish then the Liquid Graphite and the wheel also looks larger in that finsih.

For those of you who purchased these wheels, did they come with TPMS sensors or do I have to buy another pair from Acura?
Old 03-25-2009, 11:15 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used the sensors from the stock wheels.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Burning Brakes

So I take it the answer is no they do not come with TPMS sensors. How much did you pay for just the wheels if you don't mind me asking.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought an extra set from a member on here selling his. $50.00.

The Legends are quickly becoming a popular wheel for the 2nd gen.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:39 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
If you do buy them used from someone, I can tell you 08 TL-S TPMS sensors do not communicate with the 2G TSX. Dunno about other models compatibility.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Burning Brakes

The reason I'm going with RJ wheels is because I don't want to have to deal with vibrations which hubcentric rings sometimes cause. Trust me I'm so anal that I think the Universe has given me a life of challenges through faulty products.

Anyway, the legend seems to suite the 2G the best and the Raven Black look bigger then they are. I was thinking Liquid Graphite but it looks too much like chrome in the sunlight. Not to mention there is a guy on here that is having problems with the finish peeling on his LG...
Old 03-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lou01
The reason I'm going with RJ wheels is because I don't want to have to deal with vibrations which hubcentric rings sometimes cause. Trust me I'm so anal that I think the Universe has given me a life of challenges through faulty products.

Anyway, the legend seems to suite the 2G the best and the Raven Black look bigger then they are. I was thinking Liquid Graphite but it looks too much like chrome in the sunlight. Not to mention there is a guy on here that is having problems with the finish peeling on his LG...
For the record, a guy I met a few weeks ago who had the Raven Black on his 3rd Gen TL said that the black paint was coming off in some places IIRC. I think he touched it up on his own though.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Well what the hell?!? These wheels are not exactly cheap to be having finishes that are coming off on more then one finish type!?!?!? Maybe I should hold off on getting them after all.....
Old 03-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Burning Brakes

I would just talk to Rondy at RJ and speak to him about it.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm not that concerned about it. I would just hate to have the finish come off two months after I get the wheels.

Nice shots of the Charlotte meet BTW. Your wheels look like a different color in those photos then they due in your initial shots when you lowered the car.

Was that a White TSX with Liquid Graphit Inspyres beside your car? Rear view and looking to the left.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:11 AM

Anyone can have a bad batch of...whatever. It's all in how you handle it. If the claim is legit, and from what I know of RJ, they'll take care of it. If it's user error or abuse, that's another story.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm not that concerned about it. I would just hate to have the finish come off two months after I get the wheels.

Nice shots of the Charlotte meet BTW. Your wheels look like a different color in those photos then they due in your initial shots when you lowered the car.

Was that a White TSX with Liquid Graphit Inspyres beside your car? Rear view and looking to the left.
Yeah similar to the LG finish, the Liquid Silvers look entirely different in varying lighting.

And yes, that was a 1st gen TSX with the Inspyres.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DerwoodEE
Yeah similar to the LG finish, the Liquid Silvers look entirely different in varying lighting.

And yes, that was a 1st gen TSX with the Inspyres.
Did you use factory nuts for the RJs. I'm assuming since this wheel is centre bore specific that you did not need a centric ring. Am I right?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:29 PM
on to a CRZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its good that the RonJons are hubcentric but hub rings don't really cause vibrations in all applications. In fact i have hub rings on my 1G and they don't cause any vibration. just something else to consider...
Old 03-26-2009, 02:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Did you use factory nuts for the RJs. I'm assuming since this wheel is centre bore specific that you did not need a centric ring. Am I right?
I'm using the lug nuts RJ sent me at the moment. However I'll be replacing them soon because they're not locking nuts and I don't care to have my wheels stolen anytime soon.

And no, I am not using any hubcentric rings since I didn't need to. They're a perfect fit onto the hub.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:56 PM

I must be chatty cathy on the wheel thing, but yeah, I agree, hub rings are used widely on various apps. Even BBS makes you buy a P.F.S. kit (Pretty Fvcking Stupid) that includes lug nuts, a center cap & retainer spring & hub ring.

The presence of a hub ring doesn't like...bear a load, the function is to center the wheel, so hub rings are ok, but not as nice as hubcentric wheels to begin with, IMHO.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Well I decided in the end that since the RJs were only $150 (total) more then any of the other wheels I was looking at to go with the Raven Black Machined Legend.

I actually happen to like the Legend but when I looked at them last they were going to cost me over 2K just for the wheels. Since Toronto Honda is having a sale on them, I went with my gut and got the RJs.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to answer the same question seven times over. I appreciate all the help.

Hats off.

Thanks again.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Any problems are replaced under warranty, base coat and over coat paint finishes tend to have a slightly higher defect rate due the the multiple layers, but nothing abnormal, ask around, we warranty anything that is defective if it ever comes up, no worries. You will see the quality when the wheels arrive. trust me.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rondog
Any problems are replaced under warranty, base coat and over coat paint finishes tend to have a slightly higher defect rate due the the multiple layers, but nothing abnormal, ask around, we warranty anything that is defective if it ever comes up, no worries. You will see the quality when the wheels arrive. trust me.
Thanks Ron. Although I ordered through Toronto Honda I appriciate all the great customer service you've provided right from the start which started way back in October.

Thanks again. Looking forward to seeing what these babies look like.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
I checkeed each wheel, they are all perfect, I also shipped them out today. Tracking number is in your email.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rondog
I checkeed each wheel, they are all perfect, I also shipped them out today. Tracking number is in your email.
Thanks for taking the time to check each wheel. I wasn't really worried about anything other then the hassle of needing to send a wheel back it there was a problem. I'm sure everything will be fine. As soon as I have them on the car I'll do a shoot and send you the photos.