My Review of Megan EZ Street Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 07:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My Review of Megan EZ Street Coilovers

Backstory: I have a 2010 v6 model that I suspected had damaged rear struts. After I got tired of dealing with the dealer saying they're good I bought a set of coilovers. I liked the price and damping ability of the EZ Street. I purchased from THMotorsports, I would definitely recommend those guys. They made it easy and even though Fed EX screwed up (not TH's fault) and it took two weeks longer to get them, I was still happy.

Install Tips:
I basically followed the write up on the 2008 Accord I found here (http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=41858). It's pretty accurate, just forgot to mention that you will use a crap load of different extension sized, swivel sockets, breaker bar and your jack handle because your impact gun probably won't fit in the tight space in the rear. I found the rear to be harder so I was glad I did those two first. I have small hands and was able to get to the top two rear bolts without removing the rear deck. Others with big hands will probably have a problem and I definitely recommend adjusting the damping before you install them because it will be a pain to get to.

If I had to do it again I would work on one side at a time. Install both front and rear on one side of the vehicle, adjust the ride height then match the other side. I installed them straight out of the box, assuming Megan would set the ride height to factory settings. I have no idea why I assumed that but I was wrong.

Ride Impression:
Assuming Megan set the height to factory specs, I threw then on and when I lowered the car down it was friggin low, the wheel was basically on my fender. As soon as I would roll the car it would squeak like a mouse. On bumps the chin spoiler under the bumper would make a scraping noise. Definitely annoying.

Megan sent them with 3" of space between the lower perch and the middle perch in the rear and 1 3/4" of space between the lower perch and middle perch in the front. That drop equals what's show in the picture: .

I adjusted the distance between perches to 4 1/4" in the rear and 2 3/4" in the front, which resulted in a 2 finger gap all around. I think this is a good starting point until I can tweak it.

Damping:
They came set at 6 clicks from Hard (basically more toward the hard side). The ride on this is FIRM, definitely not meant for bumpy roads, you have to hold on. Before I adjusted the ride height I adjusted damping to 8 clicks from full soft, which is basically in the middle. It made it better ride quality without being too soft and floaty. After I adjusted the ride height I adjusted to 6 clicks from full soft (more toward the soft side) in the front and 6 in the rear as well. Definitely starting to ride more like a stock car except WITHOUT the body roll and the car feels more planted. THIS is how the car should have come from the factory.

Another plus was everyone including professionals were complaining how harsh the v6 ride is from factory and I found it to be really noisy suspension. That noise is all gone now. The car takes bumps like a champ but you still feel connected to the road. Another plus is the steering felt a bit stiffer which gives you a bit more feel for the road.

Pics will follow obviously. Need to get an alignment before I take it out for a highway test.
The following 3 users liked this post by fuLLah:
iSeeYouTwo (01-02-2014), musty hustla (12-31-2013), Slade037 (12-31-2013)
Old 02-19-2014, 12:40 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah once u have them setup,it's great.

After a while they do squeak. Also ride quality changes slightly when cold.

So far they have held up this winter with all the pot holes due to snow.

I have about 1finger gap all around.

Great value coilovers.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Part 2:

So another thing I took for granted was that they would send the coils with the correct preload. They didn't. Out of the box not only were they too low but the preload was too high and resulted in the car being EXTREMELY bouncy. I adjusted that and the bounce went away!

The one thing I noticed is that even with the damping set around 8 (about halfway) the rear still seems really stiff. Is it just me or do you guys have that issue?

Right now I have them set at 8 all around due to being winter and hitting ice on hard suspension really hits you in the lower back. It's not too soft of a ride but I hear it clunking when I go over a really nasty bump. I'm on 17" snow tires right now and the car has dropped another 3/4" or so due to the smaller rim size so I'm scraping everywhere! Definitely don't like that.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:55 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by fuLLah
Part 2:

So another thing I took for granted was that they would send the coils with the correct preload. They didn't. Out of the box not only were they too low but the preload was too high and resulted in the car being EXTREMELY bouncy. I adjusted that and the bounce went away!

The one thing I noticed is that even with the damping set around 8 (about halfway) the rear still seems really stiff. Is it just me or do you guys have that issue?

Right now I have them set at 8 all around due to being winter and hitting ice on hard suspension really hits you in the lower back. It's not too soft of a ride but I hear it clunking when I go over a really nasty bump. I'm on 17" snow tires right now and the car has dropped another 3/4" or so due to the smaller rim size so I'm scraping everywhere! Definitely don't like that.
The rear is much stiffer than the front if you match dampening clicks. When I had my stock wheels on I was softest in the back, and around 7 from the softest in the front.

I am much stiffer now that I am lower and my front tires are pretty close to my fenders when I am turning. I think 3 from stiffest in the front and midway in the rear.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:29 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welded nut removal

Did you have any issues removing the welded nut on the rear shock fork?
"For the rear suspension, the OEM rear shock fork has a nut welded on. Megan Racing replace this with a nut with these dimensions: M12 x P1.25 x 15L."