lowering options for wagon

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
lowering options for wagon

Before I buy a TSX wagon, I want to know there is a way to get coilovers for it, so I have begun the research hunt. So far, I can't find very much info. It looks like H&R made coilovers for the 04-08 models but not 09+. Can anybody help me find out the difference in spring rates for the H&R wagon/tourer/kombi kit vs. sedan?

KW Suspension made different kits for the 03-08 sedan and wagons and one single kit for 08+. I can't find spring rates, but the f/r weight limits in kg are sedan: 1080/920 and wagon: 1100/1030. 09+ kits for sedan/wagon are 1200/1030.

Tein Basic and Super Street coilovers for 09+ are 10kg/mm front and 5kg/mm rear, so that at least gives a starting point of what others might be using for their sedan kit spring rates.

D2: I saw from the other TSX forum that a guy in Germany used D2 street coilovers. Looking on www.d2racing.com they have coilovers for the TSX but not sedan. However, you can buy replacement springs in various rates. If higher spring rates are needed, they would surely have what is needed.

So far, it looks like D2 is the way to go in the US for having options and the availability of other springs if needed. Now to find out if heavier rate springs are needed. Who wants to be a guinea pig? I know there are others who are at least curious to see a US wagon lowered. Maybe as time goes on, knowledge can be added to this thread, or it can get cut short if sedan pieces are perfectly sufficient.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:06 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by PPower
Before I buy a TSX wagon, I want to know there is a way to get coilovers for it, so I have begun the research hunt. So far, I can't find very much info. It looks like H&R made coilovers for the 04-08 models but not 09+. Can anybody help me find out the difference in spring rates for the H&R wagon/tourer/kombi kit vs. sedan?

KW Suspension made different kits for the 03-08 sedan and wagons and one single kit for 08+. I can't find spring rates, but the f/r weight limits in kg are sedan: 1080/920 and wagon: 1100/1030. 09+ kits for sedan/wagon are 1200/1030.

Tein Basic and Super Street coilovers for 09+ are 10kg/mm front and 5kg/mm rear, so that at least gives a starting point of what others might be using for their sedan kit spring rates.

D2: I saw from the other TSX forum that a guy in Germany used D2 street coilovers. Looking on www.d2racing.com they have coilovers for the TSX but not sedan. However, you can buy replacement springs in various rates. If higher spring rates are needed, they would surely have what is needed.

So far, it looks like D2 is the way to go in the US for having options and the availability of other springs if needed. Now to find out if heavier rate springs are needed. Who wants to be a guinea pig? I know there are others who are at least curious to see a US wagon lowered. Maybe as time goes on, knowledge can be added to this thread, or it can get cut short if sedan pieces are perfectly sufficient.
The TSX wagn is sold in Europe as the Accord. Try looking on ebay Germany for Honda Accord Touring parts
Old 10-02-2011, 07:14 PM
im baaaack!!

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
See what the differences are between the i4 suspension and the v6 suspension. They might be an option.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Racer

Thanks for the suggestion, but wagon increase in weight is in the rear, not the front. Do you mean to see if there is a difference at all? Does anybody make a V6 specific kit, or would that be the US 4 vs. 6 kits?
Old 11-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Former Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bump since i might be getting a wagon soon
Old 11-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Racer

Looking back at this I have to ask if it's really necessary to quote the long post of the OP when you're the first reply. I think it will be understood what you are referring to.

I haven't made the call to KW in UK, but I think that is the best way to get an answer about this. Either 1) the sedan kit works for the touring or 2) there wasn't enough demand for the touring kit to make a new version. If 2) then what were the differences in the previous gen kits (shock/spring rates)?
Old 11-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts
Nothing definitive, but we threw around some thoughts in an earlier thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-tires-wheels-suspension-300/wagon-coilovers-822656/
Old 11-07-2011, 01:46 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
check out guys from australia or russia, they lowered their wagons
Old 11-07-2011, 02:38 PM
TSX 6MT 11 / MDX Tech 14

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't know if the new koni yellows are height adjustable but if they are you can use then with stock spring. Normally in other cars the yellow's drop 20mm front / 15mm rear. But again I don't know if they are yet.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:10 PM
Racer

Thanks for pointing out that other thread. I have NO idea why I didn't just continue in that one, so if a mod would like to combine the threads, please do.

From looking on KW's page again, they do show the same F&R axle weight limits for both sedan and wagon, so that's a good sign that they could be one and the same.

Good news/bad new$:
I just found a site that looks like ships Accord Tourer parts from Japan meaning $380 shipping on top of ridiculous pricing! http://usa.auto-style.jp/accordtourer/

BEST NEWS:
Further research led me to an amazing spreadsheet from Tein that shows that the sedan kit can be used on the wagon but was not made specifically for it as the previous CM2 version was. It notes that being listed as a compatible model, "Testing on the actual vehicle confirmed the compatibility and the same level of performance, as the model the product was developed for."
http://www.tein.co.jp/search/search1...=HONDA&lang=en

I will accept your "thanks" now.
The following users liked this post:
Puppetmaster (11-11-2011)
Old 11-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for pointing out that other thread. I have NO idea why I didn't just continue in that one, so if a mod would like to combine the threads, please do.

From looking on KW's page again, they do show the same F&R axle weight limits for both sedan and wagon, so that's a good sign that they could be one and the same.

Good news/bad new$:
I just found a site that looks like ships Accord Tourer parts from Japan meaning $380 shipping on top of ridiculous pricing! http://usa.auto-style.jp/accordtourer/

BEST NEWS:
Further research led me to an amazing spreadsheet from Tein that shows that the sedan kit can be used on the wagon but was not made specifically for it as the previous CM2 version was. It notes that being listed as a compatible model, "Testing on the actual vehicle confirmed the compatibility and the same level of performance, as the model the product was developed for."
http://www.tein.co.jp/search/search1...=HONDA&lang=en

I will accept your "thanks" now.
You have my thanks now. Thanks. Great find, I didn't get half as far as doing that cross check. It does make sense given that the CU2/CU4 sedan suspension is essentially the same as the wagon.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Racer

What I find interesting is that while they are the same kit, they show different lowering amounts for both. In front, the sedan can lower 30 compared to 20 for the wagon. On the rear, I can understand the wagon dropping 5mm more than the sedan (20mm sedan/ 25mm wagon) from the extra weight, but that could easily be resolved with a height adjustment. The difference in the front is what I find quite odd.

In the end, D2 is probably the "safest" bet because of the ability to buy higher rate springs if needed, but there shouldn't be much concern using a sedan kit of your preference as long as there is height adjustment to account for any saggy butt. So essentially, springs alone probably wouldn't cut it.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Burning Brakes

You should be able to request custom spring rates, ie. higher spring rates in the rear, from most reputable sellers/vendors, as long as the springs are within specs for the valving of the shock. Megan's site states that their dampers can handle +/- 2 kg/mm spring rate differences, which means that their stock 10 kg/mm front 6 kg/mm rear coilovers can handle (and likely, be requested) to be something like 10 front and 8 rear. I'd still assume that long term durability of the dampers might suffer a little, but it shouldn't deteriorate too much if what they say is true.

I was thinking a cheap option might be to try a set of springs with less of a drop in the rear like Progress, so as to allow for some sag in the rear, but that doesn't solve the spring rate issue. Yes, the drop might look right, but the rear is going to be bouncing around like a pogo stick half the time.

Another option would be to get some Koni Yellow shocks and Ground Control coilover sleeves, which use Eibach springs, with the spring rates of choice. Not cheap, nor with the same convenience or adjustability of preassembled coilovers, but definitely solid performers and quality parts.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Burning Brakes

This guy successfully lowered his wagon with H&R springs and then D2 coilovers. I assume both were sedan specific but they worked. The H&R drop actually looks pretty good on the wagon, I just wonder how it rides.

http://www..com/forums/2nd-gen-image...tml#post770321
Old 11-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Racer

Yep, he's the one that I referenced somewhat vaguely. I just recently joined that forum and meant to post asking about the ride between the two. However, the fact that he upgraded to coilovers tells me that springs alone weren't cutting it. Buy the best and cry only once.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Yep, he's the one that I referenced somewhat vaguely. I just recently joined that forum and meant to post asking about the ride between the two. However, the fact that he upgraded to coilovers tells me that springs alone weren't cutting it. Buy the best and cry only once.
Money wise, yes, but work and effort wise, you won't cry at all with pre-assembled coilovers - it is way easier swapping the entire shock assembly than having to take them apart, compressing springs, etc. I'm inclined to pay the extra money to buy budget coilovers vs springs just so that I don't have to disassemble anything.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Racer

Yes, that's why if you try to save money by buying springs, you'll cry a second time on install whether your own labor or paying somebody else, then the labor again when you realize you need better shocks and have to upgrade to coil overs anyway.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Racer

I just received a quick response from KW that the TSX kit (part #10250024) is compatible on the wagon as well.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Burning Brakes

And according to a vendor here, BC Racing will do custom spring rates for their coilovers with no upcharge.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
And according to a vendor here, BC Racing will do custom spring rates for their coilovers with no upcharge.
That's correct, we can customize the spring rates/cartridges in BC Racing coilovers
Old 02-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump

Really interested in this as well, I am looking to possibly get a wagon soon.
Looking to trade out of my ZDX (purely to save some $$$as I love the ZDX) into a wagon. Good news is I work for an Acura dealership in the Svc dept, and pretty much have the whole shop at my disposal to work on the car if need be.
The wagon just begs to be lowered!
Old 05-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Racer

Since I was referencing this thread for another update, I might as well show the pudding cause that's where the proof it. Riding on Tein SS coilovers:

ttk5 (11-21-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 01:53 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
amazing pic!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:21 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
KW makes coilovers for the wagon, and Tein's website says that they're coming soon for the wagon. Anyone know anythings about either product?
Old 11-20-2012, 11:42 PM
Racer

Welcome MrLogan. For the current body style, any sedan kit works for the wagon as well. I was very close to ordering KW or H&R for the progressive rate springs. I went with Tein SS to give control over damping just in case the extra weight would cause an issue.
MrLogan13 (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 02:45 AM
Instructor

Welcome MrLogan. For the current body style, any sedan kit works for the wagon as well. I was very close to ordering KW or H&R for the progressive rate springs. I went with Tein SS to give control over damping just in case the extra weight would cause an issue.
Thanks for the info. I kind of garnered that from reading through some of the other threads. Your wagon looks great! Love the drop and wheels.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Racer

Sorry if that was a bit repetitive. I didn't know if you read all the way through. There was at least one manufacturer that changed their online offering to specify "wagon" soon after I inquired. Do you have a link to Tein's site that says it is coming soon? That certainly seems odd given the information already uncovered especially since that is the one company I found verification "in writing" instead of a verbal "yeah, it'll work". I just looked up KW, and the part number for wagon is the same as I referenced above which is also the sedan kit.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Always Winter!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just looked on Tein's site, sure enough, in the works is a SS kit for the wagons! http://www.tein.com/price/acura.html
states coming soon, very interesting.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Instructor

Sorry if that was a bit repetitive. I didn't know if you read all the way through. There was at least one manufacturer that changed their online offering to specify "wagon" soon after I inquired. Do you have a link to Tein's site that says it is coming soon? That certainly seems odd given the information already uncovered especially since that is the one company I found verification "in writing" instead of a verbal "yeah, it'll work". I just looked up KW, and the part number for wagon is the same as I referenced above which is also the sedan kit.
Yeah, if you go to their product applications spreadsheet, it lists the Acura TSX Sport Wagon as "coming soon".

http://www.tein.com/price/acura.html

It's at the bottom of the list. What settings did you end up using on your Tein setup, and how does it ride compared to stock? I'm debating between the less expensive Tein and the KW. I like that the KW variant 1's have their own pre-determined damper setting that balances sporty handling and ride comfort.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Instructor

Any opinion on lowering springs? I really only want a conservative drop, but I'm concerned about stressing the OEM shocks.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MrLogan13
Any opinion on lowering springs? I really only want a conservative drop, but I'm concerned about stressing the OEM shocks.
In my experience with other cars is that the OEM shocks do not have the dampening specs to pair well with aftermarket springs, unless you get a relatively mild drop with a softer spring rate. It is possible that the TSX (wagon) shocks might be different, but there's no way to tell. I did see somewhere that the wagon actually has higher spring rates, but don't remember the source nor do I know if that is credible. If that really is the case, the OEM shocks might be valved accordingly, but again, just speculation.

As for lowering springs with aftermarket shocks, that's an option, but you'll have to take into account the labor aspect. Specifically, the need to compress the springs and disassemble the stock components in order to reuse the top hats and mounts. Alternatively, you could buy another set of top hats and preassemble your shocks and springs, then just swap the complete assemblies on in place of your stockers. That's more convenient, but will cost more.

And after all this, there is the preassembled coilover vs shocks/springs debate, which all comes down to what you want/need. One thread discussing that is here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ight=coilovers

For the wagon, I would personally go with coilovers so that you can properly adjust the height and dampening in the rear, since it is about 200+ lbs heavier in the rear than the sedan. Wagon owners using sedan coilovers have done that with success so far, if you see threads by PPower and Mantra1.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:55 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it. I guess that swings me back into the direction if coilovers. Another option I'm seriously considering is the Mugen suspension for the Accord Tourer. It's a nice conservative drop and I know it was made for the wagon. I have a friend who can get Mugen imports, so I'll try to see what the price is for comparison.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Instructor

Well, I just went ahead and ordered the H&R Street Performance coilovers for the wagon. Getting them installed next week. I will post photos then. Can't wait!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
^^I've strongly considered those, good choice IMO. Reason I didn't go with them is not being able to use OEM springs in case ride wasn't woman-approved. Bilsteins are great dampers, much better than the dampers Tein SS uses.

Stan
Old 01-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MrLogan13
Well, I just went ahead and ordered the H&R Street Performance coilovers for the wagon. Getting them installed next week. I will post photos then. Can't wait!
Awesome! Where did you get them from and how long is delivery time? There was supposed to a long wait on those. Glad yours are coming quick though.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Awesome! Where did you get them from and how long is delivery time? There was supposed to a long wait on those. Glad yours are coming quick though.
I bought then from Tire Rack, and I was fortunate because it was their last set. I ordered on Wednesday night, they shipped Thursday morning, and they should be in on Tuesday. I'm planning to do a conservative drop, ~1.2" in the front and ~1-1.1" in the rear.
Puppetmaster (01-06-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 02:33 AM
Instructor

PPower and anyone else who has lowered their wagons, how much did you lower it by? Do you guys have any issues in the rear when carrying cargo?
Old 01-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I own the 2011 tsx tech package wagon that tein used as the test vehicle. The car rides great
Old 01-22-2013, 12:55 AM
Instructor

Anyone have issues rubbing in the rear when carrying cargo?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't have any rubbing issues. I installed the rear camber kit with tein coilovers.
MrLogan13 (01-22-2013)

Quick Reply: lowering options for wagon