Jumpy suspension is just horrible!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
As the owner of a 2010 TSX (base, 6MT), I'm compelled to chime into this revived thread. I live in Center City Philadelphia, which has plenty of potholes, dips, etc., and I have not noticed anything "jumpy" about the suspension. It stays well-planted at all times, and is tight and responsive without being harsh. I think it's just about perfect. Perhaps it was revised for 2010, as CTWickman has reported.

The steering was revised for 2010, as Honda stated in a press release. It's still numb on-center, and doesn't feel as "locked-in" on the highway as other cars I've owned. This is partly because it doesn't snap back to center the way it should; turn the wheel slightly at speed, and it will just stay there, unlike my Mazda 5's wheel, which quickly centers itself, even when turned only a few degrees off center. But the TSX still tracks reasonably well, and I wouldn't call it "twitchy" like some have described the 2009 cars. Off center, the steering has good feel, and is extremely precise. So while it still needs improvement to make the TSX a complete sport sedan, I find it acceptable.

I wonder whether the numb on-center feel is characteristic of powerful front drive cars, and reflects additional assist to combat torque steer. My 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero, a front-driver with massive torque, had the same issue, albeit to a much lesser extent. But I noticed that my in-laws' 2001 base 9-5 had better steering feel, especially on-center. Since the Aero was the performance-oriented version, which would normally include better steering feel, I concluded the on-center assist must have been related to its higher power and torque.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I did not notice anything odd about my '10 V6 loaner's suspension. I drove it for approximately 2 hours the day I had it, on back roads and highway, and did not notice any twitchiness, jumpiness, or numb steering. It had less road feel than my 04 for sure, but the differences made it feel more like a luxury car than something wrong with the suspension or steering.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:11 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ 09TSXMan & I_like_scotch

Have you contacted the dealer or made any modifications to the vehicle to improve the ride?

I happen to agree with some of your opinions and USA Today/Consumer Reports. I do not think the ride is overly "harsh" and the dual mode shocks do quite well absorbing the large potholes, however it is the small bumps that annoy me. For instance, when driving on concrete roads where each section is not poured evenly, the back and forth "jittering" is unbearable. IMO, it is the stiff response to the small bumps (bumps that in most cars you would not feel) that make the ride uncomfortable.

Now of course I understand the other side of the argument, feeling the road, drivers car, etc, etc.....but come on, if we were real drivers we would not have bought a 4 door sedan with a 4cyl that barely makes 200hp at 7k rpms and I sympathize with a driver who wants a smoother ride. Personally I bought the car because I thought it would be a nice blend of luxury and economy. Handling capabilities had little to do with it. I do a lot of highway driving for work where the agility of a Buick would suffice.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:58 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I played with tire pressures as suggested by a member in this thread. Mine were a few over and dropping then back to spec did help. Dropping then down a few more helped some more but at the expense of a lot of precision.

In the end I went back to stock pressures as a decent balance between precision and jumping.

Also my car runs on Yoko E70 rubber from factory (225/50/17 98).
Old 02-17-2010, 06:43 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I can't wait to swap out suspension way to bumpy I miss my ground controls.
(VBP 09 TSX tech)

Last edited by civichbdx; 02-17-2010 at 06:45 AM. Reason: forgot to add type of car
Old 02-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Well, I've had my 2010 for a little longer, and I know what some of you mean by "jumpy," which I'd call "jittery." The suspension on mine stays completely planted, which means it's not "jumpy" as I understand the term. But yes, the body does move in response to more bumps than a typical family sedan, which I'd call slightly jittery. It's just a symptom of a sport-tuned suspension, and considering the excellent chassis dynamics, I think the ride quality is very good.

My last car, a 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero, was similar, but actually worse because the inferior damping allowed more movement, with a harder ride at the same time. With that car as my reference point, the TSX was bound to seem smooth as silk. Years earlier, I had a 1989 Pontiac Grand Am, which was incredibly jittery, and I managed to get used to it. Almost everyone I knew liked that car, even my parents who were in their late 50's at the time.

I do think BMW might be better at blending composure and performance, but with those cars you're stuck with run-flat tires, which degrades the ride quality. And even some hard core enthusiasts think BMW's sport package suspension is way too harsh, especially with the RFT's.

So, all things considered, including the TSX's reasonable price, I think the ride handling balance is outstanding.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:38 AM
1st Gear

=( I am so dissapointed that I got this car.... I am angry at myself for not doing more research and not noticing the terrible ride of this car on the test drive. I complained to people about the ride of this car and they act like i'm being dramatic.... I see a lot of you see the exact same thing I do..... While I am driving in perfectly smooth roads.... the car decides to jitter and I find myself literally wanting to ask the car..... "what the hell are you shaking and moving for?" I have owned many cars..... Benz, Lexus, Nissan, and Infiniti..... and I have never had an issue like this on a car. regardless if this is preferance or not, it simply does not make any sense. I do see that the car remains as flat as possible..... but for that simple reason.... the guys at Honda decided that having a crappy ride for 90 percent of your travels.... is worth it? I mean something like that makes sense in maybe the v6 variant.... or a significantly more powerful car. This car just simply doesnt make sense..... they put a electronic steering wheel that is light on a suspension set up that should be on an m3 (with 415 hp).... not on a 4 door sedan with 200 hp. IMO Acura is a lost company that has no direction on what it wants to do. Lexus makes cars that make much more sense. 09TSXMAN as well as all others that are mad about this car.... Please contact me @ thefinerthings22@aol.com so we can all see what options we have available to make this experience better.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:22 PM
2nd Gear

I too have the same problem with my TSX. The ride on concrete roads is too bumpy and jittery esp. for passengers on the back seat. The ride on smooth roads is firm and planted but its completely a different picture on the not so smooth concrete roads. I have complained to the dealer and test drove another TSX and it has the same issue too. Looks like its the issue with dampeners as others have quoted. I really want to know if there is anything we can do get rid of this issue.
Old 03-05-2022, 10:12 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do know about this bounce you are talking about I own a 2013 TSX 6 speed manual and bought it new with 24 miles on it. When I first bought it the Car handled very well , But it was stiff and absorbed the bumps with some minor attitude adjustment. Overall though the car handles straight and performs very nice on turns and can hang with cars with much better equipment. The Car had this bit of of a stiff front Left suspension feel though after 35000 miles and around 40000 the dealer in service let me know that the Front Shock had blown. This is when I noticed a bit of loss of ride quality so I decided to go with Tokiko Blues up front and stocks shocks in the back for awhile. This fixed the ride quality but upon getting it back the car felt a bit more bouncy on slow speeds. At high Speeds the car feels very good and comfortable and yet handling is very very good. So to address bouncy issues I bought Two Rear Tein Shocks and that removed 1/3 of the bounce. According to the specs on the spring rates of the TSX it requires shocks that are a bit more aggressive to eliminate the bounce. So Tein have a much more aggressive damper rate that matches the Harder springs up front. I am going to purchase the Tein and replace the Tokiko blues while good are a bit too soft for the spring combo. Once I get those installed I will share my results with you guys. If it eliminates the bounce and the car get a bit more aggressive then I will call that fixed and resolved. Besides that doing full coilover of course would eliminate all of the stock configuration but you will need to buy adjustable shocks and springs so you can still have that ACURA razor sharp handling with the Luxury comfortable feel.