ISC Coilovers Installed ( with slight issues )

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 10:06 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ISC Coilovers Installed ( with slight issues )

Just got done installing ISC XLR8 coilovers on my 2010 TSX yesterday. The boys over at Excelerate are great to deal with. Great customer service and quick shipping.

Very well built product, nice finishes, look awesome coming out of the box, like Christmas morning.

I took the time to coat all of the threads in anti-seize to hopefully make it easier in the future to adjust ride height when needed.

Overall, ride feels nice, but I'm going to need to play with the dampening settings to get it perfectly dialed in for me. Taking a tight corkscrew on-ramp on the way home the car felt SOOO much more stable. Just felt absolutely glued to the road. Rear end feels like its floating a bit, so I may need to adjust the back dampening settings. I'm going to wait until I get it aligned to make that call though, as it may just be my toe being off that is causing that feeling.

Issues

1) bolts for brackets that attach the ABS lines on front coilovers are too big. Had to drill out the brackets on the car. Not really a big deal. 2 minute fix.

2) Lock nuts supplied for lower mount on rear coilovers are too big. Stock bolt slips right through the threads of the supplied nut. Nothing a trip to the local hardware store and $2 in hardware couldn't fix, but it was a momentum killer for sure and luckily the store had the right size M12 x 1.25 (not exactly common)

3) One of my rear coilovers is clunking, yes, I'm pretty sure just one (passenger side.)

I was sure to put the recommended preload of 5mm (3/16") on the springs and I tightened the center bolt on the top hat of each coilover.

I'm going to pull that wheel off and re-tighten everything tomorrow and see if I can find something that needs snugged up.

What concerns me, is that the holes in the mounting fork on the coilover body are slightly bigger than the mounting bolt that goes through them. Anyone think this would cause clunking issues? That bushing that the coilover mounts around is pretty tight, but I don't know. And if this were the problem, I would think I'd have clunking on both sides.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Now, the fun part, PICTURES (these were dusk pictures with my phone, please excuse the poor quality, I'll try to get better ones posted in the next couple of day.

Its not slammed by any means. Front is 1 finger gap. rear is 2 finger gap. Thinking I'm going to drop the rear another half inch and call it good. Especially since I have a chunk of tools in the rear as it sits.

What does everyone think? Leave the rear height or drop it down a bit more to match the front. And NO I don't want to slam the whole thing right now. Love the front height, just looking for opinions on the back.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:36 PM
10th Gear

Well I've taken the back end apart essentially and tightened everything and I STILL have a bad clunking sound on the passenger side. Driver's side is perfect.

I've made contact with one of the sales guys over at XLR8 who has been very helpful. He had me to contact ISC directly since they have a good reputation for customer service.

I've emailed them twice and waited a week with ZERO response. I'm going to PM Josh and hopefully he can help me out or at least get ISC's attention so I can get some help with these. *** Paging XLR8 Josh ***

As I've said, the ride is fantastic and I love everything about these coilovers with the exception of this clunking issue. Very frustrating. But, Josh and the guys over at XLR8 have been good to me up to this point, so I have no reason to think they won't see this through. Things happen, no big deal... I just want to get the ball rolling on getting this resolved.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:05 PM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
I assume u tried swapping sides and see if it moves.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:38 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by robpp
I assume u tried swapping sides and see if it moves.
... and tried clocking the coilover 180 degrees in case it wasn't seating properly or something on the upper mount.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
Sucks that you had to buy or alter the existing hardware. Then the clunking on top of it. Hate to say it but these are things that would make me steer clear of ISC. But thanks for the install notes and review. Im sure many others besides myself appreciate it.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:01 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Terdbath
Sucks that you had to buy or alter the existing hardware. Then the clunking on top of it. Hate to say it but these are things that would make me steer clear of ISC. But thanks for the install notes and review. Im sure many others besides myself appreciate it.
I don't blame you for thinking that, but I wouldn't be so hasty. While I am having the clunking issue, the ride and adjustability are great.

I've heard great things about ISC/XLR8 customer service, so I have no doubt in my mind they will help me out and get things sorted out.

The reality is, every business will have mishapps, it happens. Its how they handle them that separates the great business people from everyone else. I'd be willing to bet that ISC/XLR8 step up and make things right.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Sorry I was on vacation for a few days. Please contact me again at sales@excelerateperformance.com or call me at 203-483-6100 to discuss.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:00 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Sorry I was on vacation for a few days. Please contact me again at sales@excelerateperformance.com or call me at 203-483-6100 to discuss.
No problem. Casey at your shop is working with ISC to try to get this resolved for me.

Thanks for your great service so far!
Old 06-11-2014, 09:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just PM'd excelerate too. Just got my ISC's for a gen 2 tl a few weeks ago and cant get rid of some clunking in the rears too.

Are you having any difiiculty adjusting the rears? I cant turn mine at all after it sat on for about 2 weeks.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:25 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Master-X
I just PM'd excelerate too. Just got my ISC's for a gen 2 tl a few weeks ago and cant get rid of some clunking in the rears too.

Are you having any difiiculty adjusting the rears? I cant turn mine at all after it sat on for about 2 weeks.
I adjusted mine after about a week of having them on, got it aligned, and haven't touched ride height since. They were a little stiff, but not too bad... but I did put anti-seize on the threads when I installed them. Hopefully that continues to help.

ISC is working with me right now to get my issue resolved, when they do, I'm going to drop the back another 1/2" or so. Hopefully they'll be easy enough to adjust. ~fingers crossed~
Old 06-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds good. Can you update with any resolutuons?
Old 07-26-2014, 04:48 PM
10th Gear

UPDATE:

I'm happy to report everything is fixed and riding beautifully now.

Before I get into the details I have to say that ISC is a VERY standup company and stood beside me until we figured out what the problem was. I would not hesitate to do business with them again. every company is going to have issues, its how they handle them that speaks the loudest. And ISC is a standup company. I'd always heard that their customer service was great and now I know why.

Small Issue

The rear bottom mounts that came with my coilovers had a 15mm hole, where as the rear mounting bolts in our cars are 12mm. We're still not sure how this happened, but they got the proper mounts shipped to me quickly. We thought this was causing my clunking issues. I got the the mounts swapped out and while that helped, there was still some bad clunking on my passenger side.

Bigger Issue

After taking apart the back, passenger-side shock I found that it wasn't rebounding. I had a new shock body in my hands 3 days later. Transferred all of my hardware and spring over to the new shock body and that fixed everything up perfect. Rides nice and smooth.

All of that being said, here are my conclusions. Yes, I did have my issues with my coilovers, but I'd buy them again even knowing that. ISC is fairly new to the Acura game, but they've been around the performance suspension game for a while. They are getting all the kinks ironed out... but they are a great company with great people and these coilovers ride awesome!
The following users liked this post:
Terdbath (07-28-2014)