Turning Steering Wheel Makes a Clicking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Turning Steering Wheel Makes a Clicking Noise

Hey guys, I've had my '09 TSX for a little over a year now. She only has 13.5k miles on her, but starting a little over a month ago, my steering wheel makes an intermittent clicking noise when making a turn, be it a full-turn or semi-turn. It kind of sounds like an actual turning signal "click", but sometimes it goes "click, click", other times just a "click".

Weird and not a huge deal, just kind of annoying. No it's not my keys or anything, b/c I only use my car key in the ignition.

Anyone else have this issue or have heard of it?
Old 04-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by ressling
It kind of sounds like an actual turning signal "click", but sometimes it goes "click, click", other times just a "click".
In the 'old days' this could be the ribbon cable that connects the steering wheel controls to the rest of the car. I say old days because I haven't heard of this problem in recent years. Still, it's the most likely culprit.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:51 PM
Self Aware

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't heard this on my car, but good luck.

Keep us updated.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does it do this only when your turn signal is on? If so, it has something to do with the system 'knowing' when you've completed your turn which then automatically cancels the indicator light when the turn is completed. Which is normal.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:44 PM
10th Gear

I had a similar problem with my car. It would click every time the steering wheel was turned in either direction. I just got it back from the dealership, 1 week later, and they replaced the steering assembly. The sound is now gone but unfortunately the steering wheel is no longer centered, it’s slightly off and some the plastic trim pieces around the wheel got all scratched. Back to the dealership I go. What a hassle!

When I was experiencing this problem I found this thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...steering+wheel
Old 04-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Colin
In the 'old days' this could be the ribbon cable that connects the steering wheel controls to the rest of the car. I say old days because I haven't heard of this problem in recent years. Still, it's the most likely culprit.
Appreciate that. Good to know!
Old 04-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Luchin
Does it do this only when your turn signal is on? If so, it has something to do with the system 'knowing' when you've completed your turn which then automatically cancels the indicator light when the turn is completed. Which is normal.
No. It does it regardless of whether the turn signal is active. I know exactly what you're talking about though and that is exactly what the noise sounds like!
Old 04-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fceeviper
I haven't heard this on my car, but good luck.

Keep us updated.
I will. I'm going to monitor it for a bit and if it gets worse I'll take it in, otherwise I'll likely end up taking it in on my next oil change.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Self Aware

I will. I'm going to monitor it for a bit and if it gets worse I'll take it in, otherwise I'll likely end up taking it in on my next oil change.
Guess what?

I heard it to on my car too, only when I make a right turn, I hear a loud knock/click in the steering wheel.

Very annoying! If I take this up with my dealer, what wording should I use, for those who took their cars in for this issue.

Sorry if I dont make sense, I been drinking.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I also hear that noise, but i only hear it when i turn the steering wheel all the way, but it sounds like the tire is hitting something as i feel a vibration on the steering wheel. However, I don't hear clicking noises when i make a left/right turn.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:03 AM
Burning Brakes

I will keep everyone posted. Unfortunately my dealer gave me the old "I couldn't reproduce the issue" excuse... sigh...
Old 04-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL i got that shit twice when i took my car for that brake noise

I will keep everyone posted. Unfortunately my dealer gave me the old "I couldn't reproduce the issue" excuse... sigh...
Old 05-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Cruisin'

After dealing with this for a while I had a look to see if anyone else is struggling with this annoyance. In my case it is an intermittent click when turning the steering wheel that is most pronounced when backing out of the driveway or when parking in the garage at the office. I don’t know if it is related, but I also get a noise coming from the steering column on a really rough patch of road that sounds like the plastic steering column is loose. The plastic housing seems to have a little more give on the left side than the right.

I’m finally getting close to my first oil change (only at 30% at 7000 miles) and plan on getting it looked at by the dealer then.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Self Aware

So, I took my car into the Dealer, they had to order two parts to resolve this issue of the clicking sound, it took 2 1/2 days to fix it. I should get my car today. Hopefully its fixed.

I'll you guys know how it goes.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
After dealing with this for a while I had a look to see if anyone else is struggling with this annoyance. In my case it is an intermittent click when turning the steering wheel that is most pronounced when backing out of the driveway or when parking in the garage at the office. I don’t know if it is related, but I also get a noise coming from the steering column on a really rough patch of road that sounds like the plastic steering column is loose. The plastic housing seems to have a little more give on the left side than the right.

I’m finally getting close to my first oil change (only at 30% at 7000 miles) and plan on getting it looked at by the dealer then.
I'm getting exactly the same thing!! Backing out of my garage spot every morning and I can feel a "tap" inside the steering column as I'm turning the wheel. I am gonna get it looked at when I have my next maintenance but I'm at 60% so it'll be awhile...
Old 05-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Self Aware

Well I came back from the dealer, noise gone.

The service guy told me they had to replace 2 parts of the steering column to resolve the clicking noise issue.

Happy happy joy joy!
Old 05-20-2010, 08:29 PM
3rd Gear

Just got my 2010 TSX V6 back from the shop today, addressing this very same noise in the steering wheel. They had to replace the steering column assembly. Noise gone now.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:05 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by wch966
Just got my 2010 TSX V6 back from the shop today, addressing this very same noise in the steering wheel. They had to replace the steering column assembly. Noise gone now.
I finally reached my first service (8k miles) and was able to get mine checked out. Dealership was pleasant to deal with, but stated that this is an inherent design issue with the car. There is a plastic spring-like mechanism that is going to cause this noise and there is little they can do to fix it. They did try to address the issue and a couple of other minor concerns. They stated that replacing parts will be temporary fix and that the noise will come back. If so, I’m curious to see if those of you that had parts replaced still have click-free driving down the road.

They did give me another 2010 TSX as a loaner that had 8500 miles on it and it also had the clicking sound.

At the end of the day, it’s not the end of the world, but it is a little disappointing to have to live with this noise.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hermes
design issue with the car.
seems there are a lot of those
Old 06-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fceeviper
Well I came back from the dealer, noise gone.

The service guy told me they had to replace 2 parts of the steering column to resolve the clicking noise issue.

Happy happy joy joy!
Glad to hear it! My noise has gone away for the time being but I'm going to continue to monitor and may take it in if it gets worse.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Cruisin'

I wanted to check in and see if the noise returned for any of you that were able to get a fix?

I want to make an appointment to try and get this fixed as the claim that it may come and go with temperature does fit in my case. It is always there.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2010, 12:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually went in to get this problem checked out by my dealer.

Saturday, I dropped the car off for a few hours and they couldn't reproduce the noise.

Monday, I took the car back and had a road test with a technician and confirmed the noise. Left the car at the dealer for 6 hours. Then they called me back saying that the noise was caused by "loose items in the trunk." They also managed to scratch my window tint on my driver side window and they denied scratching it. Got told by the dealer that front window tint was illegal anyways and that I shouldn't have tint up there, thus it wasn't their fault. Of course I went ballistic and eventually the manager agreed to take $35 off my next service.

As of right now, the noise in the steering is still there, but I do not want to deal with this dealer.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:47 AM
3rd Gear

I'm having the same issue and just took my car back to the dealership for the 3rd time on Friday. Around 4500 miles, it started making this knocking noise when steering and of course the service tech "couldn't reproduce the issue" (They must have a handbook of all these canned phrases). On Friday we took him to an empty parking lot and made various turns and complete circles so he could hear it. My brother in law says thinks it's the cv joints/bolts. The tech is supposed to call me back tomorrow to let me know the status.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Instructor

Unhappy

My 2011 started making this noise (sounds like a relay clicking) whenever you make nearly 90 degree turn of wheel in either direction. There are alot of round-abouts on my daily drive and about a week ago I started noticing this. Dropped car off this morning for an unrelated issue and mentioned this to them and was initially told it may be normal but they will check it. The loaner car I was given does not do this and I would have a hard time believing a clicking noise everytime you turn the wheel should be considered normal. Will see. This honeymoon with my 2011 was certainly short lived. I don't know at what point Acura would ever step in to buy it back but in the 4 months I've had it it has been in 5 or 6 times for various issues (rattles, weatherstripping, nav screen, ipod skipping, and now steering wheel clicking)...guess mine has the "built on a Friday" syndrome.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Racer

Looks like this issue is not unique to the TSX as my 2010 MDX also has it, annoying, mine sounds like there is a loose piece of plastic inside the steering column that falls around as I turn the wheel. Will be bringing in at next oil change if I can stand it that long!! I don't like the sounds of getting it fixed and having my steering wheel off center either as I read in an earlier post....
Old 07-11-2011, 01:03 PM
7th Gear

My 09 TL has the very same issue. You can hear a loud click when driving/turning out from a parking spot and feel a pop in the steering column area.

Techs and Acura corporate are apparently aware of the issue and have stated it is just how the car was built. Apparently after letting the car sit for a while the car makes the above mentioned noises as the tranny fluid begins to circulate again.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Racer

An update to my steering wheel click for the 2010 MDX, had it in finally for the B16 service, they informed me that it was a cable reel, they ordered in part, replaced and now my steering wheel is like the day I bought it, fixed and most importantly, quiet. I needed a loaner vehicle for 2 days but nothing too inconvenient.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Advanced

I believe there is a TSB for the TSX's not sure about the other models
Old 10-17-2011, 09:43 PM
Intermediate

I had a 2011 loaner with the same problem. I'm really disappointed with the dealer. I went in to have a blown speaker replaced. They took forever to fix it. Today I was cleaning the seats and I noticed that the bottom of the rear seat is no longer attached. I think one of the bracket / pins is broken. I think they broke it when they fixed the speaker. *sigh* I still can't get them to fix the knock issue. I might have to write Acura's corporate and threaten litigation.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Racer

An update to my problem, 2-3 days after the Cable Reel replacement, my steering wheel click has returned, annoying and rediculous. I'm not sure if I will bother having them tear my steering column down again, I'm afraid they might break something or make it worse in the process, specifically when they didn't correct in the first place.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Instructor

...on my 2011 TSX, the clicking noise was there for about a month but then stopped for some reason...i can now hear the unfixable rattle above my door with much more clarity without another noise to listen to in the steering column...
Old 04-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Advanced

2012 TSX .. Started to notice the clicking sound when turning the wheel in either direction just over 400miles... Kind of annoying. Ill probably take it to Acura this week to get it looked at.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:57 PM
4th Gear

Hi, I have an intermittent clicking noise as well. Dealer thought is was a lose motor mount but after tightening the bolts the clicking was still there. It sort of clicks very faintly on and off. Sounds like it is comiing from the right front. Mechanic told me to wait and see if it gets worse so that it would be easier to analyze. He was certain that it had nothing to do with the transmission. I will keep you posted.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
mine clicks when i have the turn signal on, pisses me the fuck off. but i was told it was normal, my dads 08 had it too
Old 05-20-2012, 08:39 PM
mugen cu2

Received 201 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by aLittleFavour
2012 TSX .. Started to notice the clicking sound when turning the wheel in either direction just over 400miles... Kind of annoying. Ill probably take it to Acura this week to get it looked at.
same here i have the 2012 with about 2400 miles no clicking noise yet but i was told by one of the mechanic that works for the dealer where i bought it that it was a common issue and they still don't know what was the cause you can always take it back to them but expect similar answer from them
Old 06-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Intermediate

my 2012 wagon just developed this noise, car has 3300 miles now. Cliking noise turning either direction 90 degree and all the way.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Advanced

My 2012 has this noise as well. I just dropped it off at the dealer about 30 minutes ago - the service advisor hears it too but said they would need to compare it to one on the lot to see if it is a characteristic of the vehicle.

I have a feeling that this may be the case - the TSX loaner I just drove home with 1500 miles on it ALSO has this click.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Advanced

Just a follow-up: I was told that the techs drove 3 other TSX on their lot and all exhibited this same "click." As I mentioned, the loaner I have with 1500mi on it also has it.

The service advisor says that when Acura changed from "power steering" to "electric power steering," this became a characteristic of the vehicle.

Last edited by ckiggins314; 06-11-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Clicking disappeared...

I have 2012 SE and started getting that annoying click about 3 months ago. Never bothered bringing it to the dealer. Was waiting for more info on the TSB for the front ball joint issue.

Anyway, about 2 weeks ago I noticed the click was gone and I haven't noticed it since. I haven't done anything to the car in about a month, so I don't know what happened.

Hope I don't jinx myself, but has anyone else's noise magically disappeared?
Old 11-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
^^I have had this issue as well with the steering wheel clicking and I have also noticed it just disappeared by itself. I'm not sure if weather has anything to do with this either like the ball joint one for the clunking issue.

Quick Reply: Turning Steering Wheel Makes a Clicking Noise