Squeak in the seat

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 01:18 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 533 Likes on 272 Posts
Squeak in the seat

I noticed today that my passenger side seat makes a whiny squeaking noise in the seat. For a month now, when I hit a bump just right, I heard this noise and it's been annoying. I thought it was my dashboard but found out today that my passenger side seat is causing it. When my friend sat in the car today, it went away so on my way home, alone, I slapped my seat hard and got the sound to happen each time.

Any idea what this could be? I'll be taking it in and having them solve it as I'm not dealing with this annoyance forever. It's so loud and annoying! I have a bit of time since I'm waiting for that ball joint fix but still curious if anyone has experienced this?
Old 10-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Drifting

Received 657 Likes on 478 Posts
My driver & passenger seats squeak as well, and I bet it's more annoying than yours. But mine are just a bit worn out I guess.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:32 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 533 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by iSeeYouTwo
My driver & passenger seats squeak as well, and I bet it's more annoying than yours. But mine are just a bit worn out I guess.
Does it happen when people are in the car or just no one in the seat? I assume both as you said driver side as well. My passenger side has this horrible squeak, almost as if a strut had failed on my car but on the interior. It's so annoying on bumpy roads that I'm going to force them to fix it some how. I only have 2000 miles on this car and rarely do I have a passenger.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:32 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had the same issue with my passenger seat, went so far as trying to put a towel between the seat and center console, holding down the seat cushion attempting to isolate the issue, etc. Then I saw another post on here that indicated the squeaking issue or rattle from the seat, is actually the seat bracket loose. As designed the front brackets of the front seats are bolted to the car floor, but the brackets sit on the exposed metal of the car frame (as opposed to the back brackets which sit on carpet). To resolve your squeaking or rattling issue, simply unbolt both front brackets on the front seat, lift the seat up marginally, enough so you can place a strip of felt or other thinly padded material under the bracket, and re-bolt the bracket back down. Voila! problem solved!
note: be careful when placing your padding under the bracket, the edges of the metal brackets are sharp!
Old 10-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Drifting

Received 657 Likes on 478 Posts
I think mine is just due to worn seats, because it only happens when someone is physically sitting on the seat. Like the side bolsters that hug you squeak like no other.... it drives me insane so I have to blast the music!! LOL
Old 01-23-2013, 05:56 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I know this is an older post but mt 2012 SE 6-spd with 9600 miles has this same squeak that just developed this winter and it is very annoying. When someone sits in the passenger seat the noise goes away.
When it gets a little warmer outside I may try the felt on the seat frame mounts, I hate bringing the car to a dealership for something small.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My driver side seat squeaks on the right bolster.. It's annoying but I don't think there's anything I can do since it's coming from inside the seat
Old 01-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my passenger side and rear driver side also squeaks, 8k miles.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Instructor

I thought I would share what my problem and solution to this squeaking passenger seat on my 2012 TSX SE was.
I removed my passenger seat from the car so I could inspect it carefully.
I am able to reproduce the squeaking noise by hitting the bottom bolsters with the flat of my hand. And it seemed to squeak from both sides of the bottom bolster.
After removing (Very Carefully) the plastic covers for the rear mounting bolts that mount the seat to the floor pan. I removed (again Very Carefully) the bottom seat cushion and front and side plastic trim. I was able to figure out that it was the seat weight sensors (not really sure what the shop manual technical description is but hopefully you know what I am describing) mounting bracket that is riveted to the seat frame rails.
Now the rivets which mount the middle of the sensor bracket to the frame rails are solid but the brackets are metal and have tabs on 4 corners of each side which are not riveted (there is one sensor/bracket on the left and one on the right side of the frame rails). The 4 corners of the brackets vibrate and squeak against the metal frame rails.
My solution was to cut pieces of felt (peel and stick fairly thin felt variety I had lying around the house) and pry the metal away from the seat frame rail. Then apply the felt in between the tabs on each bracket corner (4 of them on each rail) and the frame rail. Then I reassembled the seat. I tested it and no more squeaks. I can hit the seat and it is solid. I took it over the bumpy roads I travel and not a noise from the seat. I also checked to make sure the sensor works by putting a light weight on the seat and the Air Bag light OFF came on.
I also stuck some felt on the overhead eye glass holder which vibrates occasionally.
Now my TSX is quiet! And yes my car is still under warranty, but do I want the mechanics to do this job or worst yet tell me they can't reproduce the squeak? Answer No!
Note: There are a lot of wires under the seat that need to be disconnected, one of them being the side seat air bag!
If you attempt to do this yourself be very careful.
I only broke the tabs off of one of the rear seat mounting bolt covers. A little glue fixed my mistake. But there are a lot of little plastic pieces/trim that can break. Be Very Careful.
I hope this may help some of you with the squeaking passenger seat!
The following 2 users liked this post by gsvette:
MC MiYoung3269 (02-24-2013), TSXV6Guy (02-23-2013)
Old 02-23-2013, 08:46 PM
CU2 TSXClass

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by gsvette
I thought I would share what my problem and solution to this squeaking passenger seat on my 2012 TSX SE was.
I removed my passenger seat from the car so I could inspect it carefully.
I am able to reproduce the squeaking noise by hitting the bottom bolsters with the flat of my hand. And it seemed to squeak from both sides of the bottom bolster.
After removing (Very Carefully) the plastic covers for the rear mounting bolts that mount the seat to the floor pan. I removed (again Very Carefully) the bottom seat cushion and front and side plastic trim. I was able to figure out that it was the seat weight sensors (not really sure what the shop manual technical description is but hopefully you know what I am describing) mounting bracket that is riveted to the seat frame rails.
Now the rivets which mount the middle of the sensor bracket to the frame rails are solid but the brackets are metal and have tabs on 4 corners of each side which are not riveted (there is one sensor/bracket on the left and one on the right side of the frame rails). The 4 corners of the brackets vibrate and squeak against the metal frame rails.
My solution was to cut pieces of felt (peel and stick fairly thin felt variety I had lying around the house) and pry the metal away from the seat frame rail. Then apply the felt in between the tabs on each bracket corner (4 of them on each rail) and the frame rail. Then I reassembled the seat. I tested it and no more squeaks. I can hit the seat and it is solid. I took it over the bumpy roads I travel and not a noise from the seat. I also checked to make sure the sensor works by putting a light weight on the seat and the Air Bag light OFF came on.
I also stuck some felt on the overhead eye glass holder which vibrates occasionally.
Now my TSX is quiet! And yes my car is still under warranty, but do I want the mechanics to do this job or worst yet tell me they can't reproduce the squeak? Answer No!
Note: There are a lot of wires under the seat that need to be disconnected, one of them being the side seat air bag!
If you attempt to do this yourself be very careful.
I only broke the tabs off of one of the rear seat mounting bolt covers. A little glue fixed my mistake. But there are a lot of little plastic pieces/trim that can break. Be Very Careful.
I hope this may help some of you with the squeaking passenger seat!
WOW i know that the squeaky sound of the leather seat is annoying but u took it to another level sir... I hope i don't reach that level i dont want to be removing seats to remove this sound lol... But on the other hand thank you for the information didn't actually know this.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:36 AM
Instructor

Mellostack, I am anal about the odd noises from this car. Probably because the interior is one of the quietest of the vehicles I have ever owned.
I also know how most mechanics treat a vehicle for warranty work
I am not afraid to tackle mechanical or electronic problems (Not bragging but I am fortunate to be gifted in these areas).
And I realize this may not be a repair for everyone but I hope that it helps out someone
Old 02-16-2019, 02:55 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by gsvette
Mellostack, I am anal about the odd noises from this car. Probably because the interior is one of the quietest of the vehicles I have ever owned.
I also know how most mechanics treat a vehicle for warranty work
I am not afraid to tackle mechanical or electronic problems (Not bragging but I am fortunate to be gifted in these areas).
And I realize this may not be a repair for everyone but I hope that it helps out someone
I am facing the same issue with 2019 rdx. I have posted a video here. Can you please check and see if this is smilar to yours. Dealer and acura client realtions are clueless and saying this is normal noise.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:47 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the same problem it started recently on the passenger side. If I hold the the sides or just a pressure on the back it stops.