pinpointing my AC problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 01:05 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pinpointing my AC problem?

hello all! first post on this forum for me! although I've been browsing for over a year now! right at the end of summer last year my ac stopped working (no metal shavings near compressor, just clutch won't engage) back when it first cut out me being stupid i went and bought a recharge kit (did not use) as soon as i hooked it up i noticed the pressure gauge was into the red, so i didn't add any refrigerant. now its months later and i need to get this fixed. I've tried putting the ac on and tapping the face of the clutch with a heavy screwdriver and it did NOT engage. are there any other tests i can do ? i HAVE verified the compressor is getting 12v constant. and I've swapped the horn and AC compressor relay and theres no change (horn still works) what else can i do? i have access to a garage, have full set of tools and a DMM

thanks so much in advance guys!
Old 05-25-2015, 01:15 PM
6th Gear

also i forgot to mention, the clutch face is NOT seized, and turns with some slight resistance, but turns pretty easily
Old 05-25-2015, 03:48 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
If you've got 12V to the compressor connector, and clutch will not engage despite tapping w/ screwdriver, then clutch coil is likely open or damaged compressor clutch wire (from connector to coil). Thermal overload switch could also be failed open, but less likely since you have 12V to to the coil.

Suggest checking resistance of clutch coil (connector w/ pin red/wht wire to compressor body). Resistance should be 3-4 ohms.

If clutch coil resistance is good, check the thermal overload switch to compressor body (grn/red and red/blk wires) at the connector pins. It should show closed circuit. If open circuit, a new thermal overload switch is needed.

good luck
The following users liked this post:
Ian.van (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 02:48 PM
6th Gear

awesome! thank you texas honda! verified zero connection from the PIN that connects the red/white wire to the compressor body..... is this a easily replaceable part? i saw a couple DIY walkthroughs but they were for older tsx's and the MDX/RDX, not the 2nd gen tsx. when i was under the car tapping on the clutch face i noticed the compressor IS kinda loud, has a noticeable whiiishing/ ALMOST whining sound. sounds kinda like it could be a bad tensioner too. are there any more tests i can do?

what would you advise?

new field coil and install myself?
new compressor install myself and have acura fill with refrigerant to factory spec (will they even do this/is this an option?)

say fuck it all and have acura do it all correctly and spend a fortune.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:27 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian.van
awesome! thank you texas honda! verified zero connection from the PIN that connects the red/white wire to the compressor body..... is this a easily replaceable part? i saw a couple DIY walkthroughs but they were for older tsx's and the MDX/RDX, not the 2nd gen tsx. when i was under the car tapping on the clutch face i noticed the compressor IS kinda loud, has a noticeable whiiishing/ ALMOST whining sound. sounds kinda like it could be a bad tensioner too. are there any more tests i can do?

what would you advise?

new field coil and install myself?
new compressor install myself and have acura fill with refrigerant to factory spec (will they even do this/is this an option?)

say fuck it all and have acura do it all correctly and spend a fortune.
Depends. From your first post you made it sound like you had mad technical skillz. From there on your questions got more basic to the "Should I let the dealership do it?"

Do you feel qualified to do the work? Do you have the right tools and safety equipment? What happens if you break more than you fix? What year car do you have and what is the mileage?
Old 05-28-2015, 08:14 PM
6th Gear

no need for attitudezz! I'm very capable of doing my own work, that doesn't mean I've replaced my exact AC system before...or any AC system for that matter....or want to....

I'm looking for responses like "oh no, replacing the field coil is an absolute bitch and your better off getting a whole new compressor" or "well since you mentioned a slight groaning noise get a whole new compressor" or "hell no buy that field coil, heres a link to the DIY for a 2nd gen tsx (the forum we are in)

hell, i dont even know..maybe acura tax AC systems are brittle as glass and GENERALLY everyone is better off taking it to a dealership or someone experienced in air conditioning systems? who knows! thats why I'm asking.

so to answer your questions:
yes i feel qualified to do the work, unless its a full AC system replacement, time= money and taking time off of work to complete the job isn't worth it if its going to take more then a day or two plus add a ton of frustration/hassle. but then again if i did need an entire system, theres no way id pay someone to do it. I've swapped engines before, i know i could do an AC system.

if i break more then i can fix, like anyone, you're fuckt. same rules apply. i dont see what i could break besides lines, or somehow destroying the compressor taking it apart (i would hope theres a DIY haha)
and lastly, its a 2010 tsx MT with just under 130k

also the reason for the need for advice is, its a SEMI time sensitive matter, i have a motorcycle i can ride if the car is out of commission for a couple days but i have a trip planned for the beginning of next month and would like to get it sorted out thats all thanks again guys

Originally Posted by ceb
Depends. From your first post you made it sound like you had mad technical skillz. From there on your questions got more basic to the "Should I let the dealership do it?"

Do you feel qualified to do the work? Do you have the right tools and safety equipment? What happens if you break more than you fix? What year car do you have and what is the mileage?
Old 05-29-2015, 08:24 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian.van
no need for attitudezz! I'm very capable of doing my own work, that doesn't mean I've replaced my exact AC system before...or any AC system for that matter....or want to....

I'm looking for responses like "oh no, replacing the field coil is an absolute bitch and your better off getting a whole new compressor" or "well since you mentioned a slight groaning noise get a whole new compressor" or "hell no buy that field coil, heres a link to the DIY for a 2nd gen tsx (the forum we are in)

hell, i dont even know..maybe acura tax AC systems are brittle as glass and GENERALLY everyone is better off taking it to a dealership or someone experienced in air conditioning systems? who knows! thats why I'm asking.

so to answer your questions:
yes i feel qualified to do the work, unless its a full AC system replacement, time= money and taking time off of work to complete the job isn't worth it if its going to take more then a day or two plus add a ton of frustration/hassle. but then again if i did need an entire system, theres no way id pay someone to do it. I've swapped engines before, i know i could do an AC system.

if i break more then i can fix, like anyone, you're fuckt. same rules apply. i dont see what i could break besides lines, or somehow destroying the compressor taking it apart (i would hope theres a DIY haha)
and lastly, its a 2010 tsx MT with just under 130k

also the reason for the need for advice is, its a SEMI time sensitive matter, i have a motorcycle i can ride if the car is out of commission for a couple days but i have a trip planned for the beginning of next month and would like to get it sorted out thats all thanks again guys
Take me for an example. I'm an armchair mechanic. When I get interested in something I generally research it to death and become an expert in it but I probably won't do the work myself for a few reasons - I generally don't like getting dirty (been that way forever), I have a disability that makes some stuff really hard to do and I generally have little time to do it.

There are a few exceptions. I do my own detailing and interior cleaning because I always want my car to look like new. I work in the industry so I know all the regs with automotive lighting being my specialty.

Now, back to your issue. Unless you know what you are doing then I'd give it to an A/C guy or gal - either at the dealership or an indy. There are EPA rules about recapturing refrigerant but more importantly, it is so easy to screw something up ultimately requiring a much higher repair bill. When I had an A/C issue with my GTI a few years back I asked my indy if Sue, the guy who normally does all my work (yep, a boy named Sue) would be doing the work and they said that A/C work is one of the few things they send out to a specialized shop. That in itself would keep me from wrenching on the system.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:34 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Clutch coil replacement for 1st & 2nd Gen TSX and Accords of same period should be the same (same engine and same compressor position). It looks to me like the compressor would be unbolted from engine and lowered for access to clutch coil (remove clutch plate, retaining clip, and coil. It is not a simple job but should be possible.

Hard to know if compressor is failing. If it was making grinding noises while engaged before, then compressor failure is possible.

A shop will not want to replace clutch coil, only a complete compressor, and there is logic to their position (no comeback repair). Your call!

good luck
Old 07-16-2018, 09:45 AM
4th Gear

Hey Guys,

I'm going to try replacing the coil first and thank you all so very much!!, as no recalls on the TSX 2010 6sp for this AC issue. Like TexasHonda my mechanic works on them (he used to own Integra back in the day) but has always worked on Honda's. All the AC is doing is blowing hot air. I'll let you all know the out come is too!!
Old 08-06-2018, 10:59 AM
4th Gear

Had to replace the compressor, wasn't as bad as it could've been got a brand new one $150, belt snap the day I brought it to my guy too, however in total it was $200. Still not impressed that it needed to be done and no recalls on them if this has been such an issue, only recalls on these cars as of right now are the Air bags. If case you didn't know just wanted to pass that along!
Old 08-07-2018, 07:09 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Wait, you've got a 2010 and complaining that an AC compressor is not a recall? It's 9 years old, parts don't last forever, even in Hondas. Glad you got it fixed, but def not a recall issue.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:42 AM
4th Gear

First it's only 8yrs old and clearly I understand that parts don't last forever. I only got this car last year and as far as recalls go you'd be surprised what pulls up for them (no matter how long or what year your car is) as this isn't the first Acura and or Honda I've owned. This is the 4th one I've owned (Second Acura) and in both Generations 1's & 2's it's a common problem in the Acura's so I wasn't complaining that it wasn't a recall, just simply stating that if it's been such an issue they should be a recall on it.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:03 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
I clearly misunderstood.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:09 PM
4th Gear

Np