Moonroof Leaking - during touch free carwash

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 09:09 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moonroof Leaking - during touch free carwash

Hello,

I have been a long time lurker and have appreciated all of the information found on this site. I have a 2010 TSX Tech that has problems going through the touch free car wash.

During the high pressure pass, water sprays through the front portion/edge of the moonroof. The moonroof appears to depress as the wash passes during this portion of the wash. Luckily, when I discovered it, I had pulled open the moonroof visor and caught it before there was excessive water accumulating where it was leaking in.

The car wash is the automated Water Wizard 2.0 and I have never had any problems either with our previous 2000 Honda Accord and our Volvo.

I have a loaner today, what I think is a 2009 TSX that I just took through the same wash. Not only did it leak, it also displaced the windshield trim and the the weather stripping that runs along the roof of the car, from front to back.

Has anyone else had any problems running through an automated touch free car wash?

Thanks,
Darryl
Old 11-22-2009, 10:01 AM
4th Gear

Update

The Acura dealer had my vehicle for one week. They along with Acura Client Services report that there is nothing that can be done about the leaking and further more, there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. Leaking from a touch free car wash is a desired feature of this vehicle, much like the engine pinging. Advised not to take car through touch free car wash. (as I said before, neither my 2000 Accord or volvo leak in the same wash that caused this headache)

I am happy to have my car back but disappointed that I cannot run it through a touch free wash. We are in water restriction hell here in Florida. You just can't your car in the driveway any day of the week around here without the possibility of a getting a fine. We get one day a week to water, after 5 or 6 pm.

Oh yeah, one last thing. I was provided a loaner 2009 TSX which was beaten to hell and back, with only about 4500 miles on it. Both windshield trim pieces were lifted up off the windshield and it pinged once it hit 2000 rpm until acceleration was complete. It was a disappointment to say the least.

Has anyone else run into this problem?
Old 11-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Man, sorry to hear that. I totally feel you on the water restriction, as I'm in GA and we had that for quite some time with recent years' droughts.

My suggestion for you would be to buy some thin insulation at a home depot or lowe's and install it around the brim of the metal opening. I had to do something similar with my 2003 Maxima on my driver's side door when I was getting a lot of road noise.

Let us know what you come up with.

Best of luck.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:37 PM
4th Gear

Conclusion...

Thanks for the input, I was thinking of doing something like that.

So the conclusion of this story is that I went to another car wash, a lower pressured touch free and did not have the leaking this time. (I stuffed a towel up there to catch any water just in case) The dealer did have my car all week so maybe they made an adjustment or two. I am a little less worried now that I have seen the car sustain the water without any spraying through.

The wash in question is the Water Wizard 2.0 which has been hands down my favorite touch free wash. I guess the one close to my house has the pressure up too high.

I will keep the insulation idea in mind if there is any future leaking.

Thanks again,
Darryl
Old 11-30-2009, 02:46 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi, i use those touch free car washes all the time, as i just get them for free because i buy so much gas. But i was wondering if you could be more specific on where it is leaking on the sunroof?? Does it leak into the car?? Also the weather stripping along the driver side of the roof came off one time through the touch free, but i simply put it back in and its never come off since *shrugs*
Old 12-02-2009, 03:00 PM
4th Gear

Leaking

The leak was close to the middle of the leading edge of the moonroof. When I first noticed the leak, the water actually sprayed into the car as the machine passed over head. The sides and the rear seals remained intact with no leakage. It was only the front part of the moonroof seal.

The 2009 loaner vehicle leaked in just about the same place, only it did not spray into the car. I did have a towel held close to it just in case, but the water actually entered the vehicle on both occasions.

I have not had any issues the one time that I ran the car through the other touch free car wash.

The machine was the Water Wizard 2.0 and seems to be meticulously maintained. The second water wizard that I went to must have had its pressure set a bit lower as I had no problems with that wash.

Last edited by funklab; 12-02-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RE Car wash

Originally Posted by funklab
The Acura dealer had my vehicle for one week. They along with Acura Client Services report that there is nothing that can be done about the leaking and further more, there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. Leaking from a touch free car wash is a desired feature of this vehicle, much like the engine pinging. Advised not to take car through touch free car wash. (as I said before, neither my 2000 Accord or volvo leak in the same wash that caused this headache)

I am happy to have my car back but disappointed that I cannot run it through a touch free wash. We are in water restriction hell here in Florida. You just can't your car in the driveway any day of the week around here without the possibility of a getting a fine. We get one day a week to water, after 5 or 6 pm.

Oh yeah, one last thing. I was provided a loaner 2009 TSX which was beaten to hell and back, with only about 4500 miles on it. Both windshield trim pieces were lifted up off the windshield and it pinged once it hit 2000 rpm until acceleration was complete. It was a disappointment to say the least.

Has anyone else run into this problem?
Unless the rest of the Acura world has this problem I would say it is a defect in your vehicle and would demand the dealer fix it. If your car is under warranty get it fixed. Sounds like your dealer is crappy. Mine has not given me excuses they just fix the problem. Keep taking your car in and demand they fix it or you'll report them to the BBB or Attorney General's office under the Lemon Law. Sometimes you have to be an Alpha Hotel (A**hole) to get people to do their jobs.

You bought a brand new car and cannot take it though a touch free car wash? That is pure BS! I guess next they'll blame the brakes squeaking on the type of roads you cannot or can drive on? Do not let them get away with this. Stick to your guns and start talking like your going to put them on the 9:10 to Yuma.

Last edited by TSX1138; 12-28-2009 at 12:30 PM.