Hood shaking on highway speeds - How to adjust hood?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 09:19 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Hood shaking on highway speeds - How to adjust hood?

I've noticed this issue for a while, I can visually see the hood lifting when looking at the seams where the hood/fender panel meet at highway speeds/big bumps. Is this normal?

Here is a similar complaint: https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-...ration-711381/ - There is a lot of discussion, post #16 explains how to adjust the hood but the picture links are broken so I am not able to confirm the procedure. Unfortunettly I don't think there is much that can be done.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:37 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
He gave excellent instructions!!
I can def. follow the instructions

although, making minor adjustments AINT easy. probably be easier with 2 people

Last edited by justnspace; 06-30-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
I have the same issue with mine.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:11 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
There are various things you can try but the simplest it to raise the front Hood stoppers. Although if your hood is vibrating by the windshield then that is a harder problem to solve.

Front Hood Area Shaking

1. With the hood close. With both hands spread open and pushing down gently on the hood with your hands to feel for play between the hood and the hood latch. If there is play you will feel and hear a clicking noise. Be sure to position your hands above the hood latch towards the front edge and the hands left and right of the center line of the hood. If the clicking noise is present then the hood latch is too high and will need to be adjusted lower by loosening the latch bolts.

2. Near the front corners of the hood there is two hood stoppers... One on each side above the headlamps. It looks like a like a cork (back color) from a champagne bottle with the lower half
​​threaded for adjusting up and down. Counter clockwise to add tension to the hood. The higher the tension the less movement.

Rear Area Hood Shaking

On the perimeter of the hood are seals. Those seals are too low or too small and not in contact with the hood. Since the hood is too high and not adjusted you need to raise the seals... Rear, and sides.

1. Raise the rear seal by removing it from the cowel. Then add stripes of duct tape to shim it up so it contacts the hood. The duct tape goes in-between the car and the seal. Do the same for the fender seals if it's a pinching type of seal if not see #2. If the gap is really bad then you will need to do both #1 and #2.

2. Shim the cowel pane up with washers to raise the seal. Do the same for the fender seals.

3. Replace seals with larger ones from another car. Long as they are of similar mounting style it will work. Bring your seals to a junkyard and match them up for fit but thicker ones.

As an alternative you can use self adhesive house weather stripping to fill in the gap to stop the vibration. Just stick it on the underside of the hood to add tension to stop the vibration. This should be applied directly above the existing seals.
The following users liked this post:
TSX1012m6 (07-07-2017)