had to take my 2012 tsx to the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:46 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 533 Likes on 272 Posts
I read that this happens when it's about 95 degrees outside but I'm hearing it a ton when it's 83 degrees outside too. This dang noise is driving me nuts and makes the car feel rough rather than smooth.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:04 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my problem happened after I drove over a period of time, I didn't hear anything when the car was cold start even with high temperature outside.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by new TSX owner
my problem happened after I drove over a period of time, I didn't hear anything when the car was cold start even with high temperature outside.

BINGO!! know what, I'm starting to feel better about this. I still don't like it but I don't mind it. I spoke w/ an Acura Master Tech who dd a 12 SE and he took me for a ride on his car. Same noise. Nice guy. He game me his personal cell number and I gave him mine and says he'll check his out during the first oil change and let me know what happens. He says its the brake pads sticking then releases shortly after the brake is released. I still think its the ball joint. He says its normal which probably means there is no fix. We'll never know. BTW he is a lurker on here but have yet to join.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gonzo08452
BINGO!! know what, I'm starting to feel better about this. I still don't like it but I don't mind it. I spoke w/ an Acura Master Tech who dd a 12 SE and he took me for a ride on his car. Same noise. Nice guy. He game me his personal cell number and I gave him mine and says he'll check his out during the first oil change and let me know what happens. He says its the brake pads sticking then releases shortly after the brake is released. I still think its the ball joint. He says its normal which probably means there is no fix. We'll never know. BTW he is a lurker on here but have yet to join.
From reading this thread, it seems that people are hearing the noise when they apply the brakes and when the let go. If the brake pads are sticking, wouldn't you only hear the noise when you let go of the brakes?

I have a 2012 with ~3500 miles on it and also have this noise. Hopefully a fix comes soon.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
i think i hear the same noise, but not nearly as much as others in this thread. maybe 3 times total. i have ~6100 miles.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by illuzionb18c1
From reading this thread, it seems that people are hearing the noise when they apply the brakes and when the let go. If the brake pads are sticking, wouldn't you only hear the noise when you let go of the brakes?

I have a 2012 with ~3500 miles on it and also have this noise. Hopefully a fix comes soon.

Yes. I mentioned that and he said the pads would stick momentarily before immediately snapping back when the caliper is released causing the noise.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:58 PM
AZ Community Team

No, this isn't a normal function of a car and I won't sit here and allow it to do it throughout my ownership of the vehicle. Acura will either fix it or I'll make a fuss about it because my Honda Civic didn't do this and I sure as hell don't expect my Acura to be doing this. Do not feel better about an issue that's an obvious flaw. I have never driven a car that does this.

Besides, this thumping doesn't feel or sound like brake pads sticking. I've had that problem on my Civic where they were not immediately letting go and that was a flaw I fixed with new brake pads and calipers. This didn't start happening until 3 years into ownership though. So I don't accept his theory one bit.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
No, this isn't a normal function of a car and I won't sit here and allow it to do it throughout my ownership of the vehicle. Acura will either fix it or I'll make a fuss about it because my Honda Civic didn't do this and I sure as hell don't expect my Acura to be doing this. Do not feel better about an issue that's an obvious flaw. I have never driven a car that does this.

Besides, this thumping doesn't feel or sound like brake pads sticking. I've had that problem on my Civic where they were not immediately letting go and that was a flaw I fixed with new brake pads and calipers. This didn't start happening until 3 years into ownership though. So I don't accept his theory one bit.

I hear you but until they announce a tsb or recall, we can only put up w/ the noise.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:53 PM
AZ Community Team

I hear you but until they announce a tsb or recall, we can only put up w/ the noise.
True, but I'll be giving them a month or two before I start making an issue out of it. This isn't normal and I'll keep bringing it in and leave it there until it's fixed. I'll put mileage on their loaner vehicles and save me some wear and tear. I've been patient with the quality Acura has been putting out and let me just say it's not great. From terrible paint jobs with discoloration to this, I'm not happy. This is not why I bought a Honda product to say the least.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:34 PM
Intermediate

Its the ball joint, if you want the noise to disappear for a brief moment, jack the car off the ground. Noise will be gone for at least a day. Whatever you do, do not let them replace your entire front suspension to find the problem. It is not the brakes, front strut assembly, re torquing all bolts, or some wedge kit problem from a previous TSB. Now if you had them do all of that and got charged for a loaner car at $5 dollars a day. Then you can get pist and get a new car .Well you may have to buy and leased 11 cars in 15 years for that to happen. Something about being super preferred status in the system. Trust me guys i dropped at least 1200 in add on on my TSX. I loved my SE. No complaints other than that stupid ass annoying pop pop and more pop. You all haven't even heard the worst stuff yet. watch when that POP goes to a grind and pop and then pooppppopp grind.
You stop driving cuz u think the wheel gonna fall off. They will come out of a TSB from what i have been told. Other than that be safe and turn the music up.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:51 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by TSXCHI99
Its the ball joint, if you want the noise to disappear for a brief moment, jack the car off the ground. Noise will be gone for at least a day. Whatever you do, do not let them replace your entire front suspension to find the problem. It is not the brakes, front strut assembly, re torquing all bolts, or some wedge kit problem from a previous TSB. Now if you had them do all of that and got charged for a loaner car at $5 dollars a day. Then you can get pist and get a new car .Well you may have to buy and leased 11 cars in 15 years for that to happen. Something about being super preferred status in the system. Trust me guys i dropped at least 1200 in add on on my TSX. I loved my SE. No complaints other than that stupid ass annoying pop pop and more pop. You all haven't even heard the worst stuff yet. watch when that POP goes to a grind and pop and then pooppppopp grind.
You stop driving cuz u think the wheel gonna fall off. They will come out of a TSB from what i have been told. Other than that be safe and turn the music up.
I can hear that noise you're speaking of at times! It's almost like a non-stop grind for a brief moment when the brakes are applied or something like that.

I've filed complaints against Acura and my dealership a few times already. From paint defects from the factory to paint and interior scratches caused by the dealer. Both of my cars in the last year, 2012 model mind you, have all been victim to this non sense. Now along with the scratches I had originally before paying to get them removed mostly myself, I have this ball joint. I hate sounding like a whiner, but this isn't a Chevrolet Sonic here...
Old 08-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Pro

^^^hey, I like the Sonic. lol
Old 09-04-2012, 05:49 PM
AZ Community Team

This sound has been extremely annoying and rapid today. I can feel it while I accelerate at the lower speeds of about 20 MPH or lower. It may happen at a little bit higher speed but this is getting very annoying. No word on a fix yet or an update at all? My music is cranked up and the fact that I can feel it is bothering me.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Pro

Know what? I havent heard or felt it in about a week. But I know its still there.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:10 PM
AZ Community Team

Know what? I havent heard or felt it in about a week. But I know its still there.
You son of a... biscuit! I think my car has picked up the slack for your TSX.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:43 PM
AZ Community Team

Today was my first visit to the new dealer that I'll be using instead of that terrible one... Anyways, their tech went for a ride with me and heard the popping loud and clear. Told me that it does indeed sound like a ball joint but he isn't sure it's an issue that can't be fixed now. He has never heard this on any TSX before and no one at the dealership has heard of this before and many of them have 2012 TSX'. I'll be bringing it in when the weather is warmer since I need an appointment in order to get a loaner car because they do a lot of business and have trouble keeping up. Sadly, the next week is below 80 degrees so I need to wait a bit.This is Continental Acura of Naperville and I must say the service representative named Chris was very helpful.

Also, I'm not sure if this is related, but when I hit a bump in just the right spot or a railroad track (smooth track), my car makes this horrible squeaking noise. This doesn't happen on 90% of bumps but when it happens it's loud enough to disrupt me over my music at 32/40 level (XM Radio, which is lower than AUX). I figured maybe something in the dashboard since it's intermittent, but I've never heard a dashboard make a noise like that before. I mentioned it to them and they will try and look but it's nearly impossible to get it to occur at the dealer without that specific type of bump.

This car is so fun to drive in the morning but than on my drive home it's so annoying.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:29 AM
mugen cu2

Received 201 Likes on 142 Posts
Its the ball joint, if you want the noise to disappear for a brief moment, jack the car off the ground. Noise will be gone for at least a day.
yup that's what i was told by the tech,i normally get between 4-5 days of relief after i do it, i always thought i had to jack up just the front but noise still stays there so i jack up the whole car, also the noise on mine can be heard when I'm doing a complete stop when I release the brake pedal and when i'm taking off. It used to bother me alot but honestly i even forgot i had it until i look at this thread my cure for now is to turn on that radio louder and enjoy the damn thing until maybe Acura has a fix
Old 09-07-2012, 07:55 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Dam sorry about all this issue you guys are having my tsx have 60k at this point and i have no issue with popping/grinding sound best of luck and i work at acura so if i hear anything i make sure i give you guys a heads up
Old 09-07-2012, 10:32 AM
8th Gear

Again, I noticed this noise 2nd day after I brought new car home. per service manager, it's a known issue and he expects a fix by end of September based on his meeting with Acura "part manager". I'm still have confidence that Acura will behind their product.
The following users liked this post:
khoacu2 (09-07-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
hmm, i wonder if it is affecting only late build 2012's. i got my 2012 in december and have only heard noises (usually in the rear) about 3x
Old 09-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Pro

the noise is gone and its been cooking outside **knocks on wood**.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts
I have never heard this noise in my 09. I have replaced the entire rear suspension with SPC pieces though... Car is also lowered... looked like a 4x4 with the stock ride height...
Old 09-21-2012, 08:03 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Apparently the revised ball joints are showing up at dealers.
The following 2 users liked this post by ceb:
gonzo08452 (09-21-2012), MC MiYoung3269 (10-01-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 09:54 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by ceb
Thank you, I may call my dealership and ask about the ball joints. It's been cold outside so there is no way they could replicate it but the service technician has heard it already so he should remember.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:36 PM
8th Gear

I called dealer today, but no luck.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Drifting

Received 1,000 Likes on 712 Posts
Hmmmm, I'll hit up the dealer some time this week and see what happens
Thanks Ceb
Old 10-03-2012, 12:18 PM
8th Gear

I had a follow-up call with dealer's part manager, he stated that Acura has not determined that how many cars have been impacted, however, the revised part won't be readied till early November. Hopefully, Acura can make their mind as early as possible.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:47 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does anyone know why one of my signal light doesnt blink when i signal.. both my signal is on at night but only one side flicks when i signal
Old 10-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Drifting

^ Would probably be better if you started a thread asking that rather than posting in an existing thread, or search for it first
Old 10-14-2012, 10:38 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I called dealer today, but no luck.
I had a follow-up call with dealer's part manager, he stated that Acura has not determined that how many cars have been impacted, however, the revised part won't be readied till early November. Hopefully, Acura can make their mind as early as possible.
My dealer is installing the new ball joints even as we speak so either the dealer is lying or the new parts are available.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:48 PM
Drifting

I called a week or two ago asking if they had them and he only said shit about replacing the control arms, I'm like dafuq -_- Acura really needs to release a TSB for this...
Old 10-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by kitt1126
what other syntoms do you have? I have my car for 3 weeks now and it has this steering vibration over 40 mph, i think it has been worsen that even the pedals area has slight vibration, ppl in this forum said could be bad motor/transmission mount or even bent suspension components. I'm going to dealer tomorrow fr the 3rd time, done wheel alignment twice in 2 weeks, road force tire balanced and found nothing wrong, yet vibration still exist. please let me know what you found at the dealer.
Hmmm I've had some vibration happen in my car but it only happens on certain roads. I just figured it was just the roads... Gonna have to pay more attention
Old 10-14-2012, 07:14 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by ceb
My dealer is installing the new ball joints even as we speak so either the dealer is lying or the new parts are available.
Thank you, I called my dealer earlier in the week and they knew nothing about it.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:42 PM
8th Gear

ceb, please let us know if the new ball joins solves the "noise" problem.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:04 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

ceb, please let us know if the new ball joins solves the "noise" problem.
It'll be hard to tell now that it has gotten colder since the noise only really gets loud when it is over 90 degrees or so.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:51 PM
Intermediate

Yup looks like the ILX guys are experiencing the same problems. just got back from reading there forum. Wow!! whats going on with the quality of the Honda's premium brand. I mean i would have kept my SE if that stupid noise wasn't there. i had big plans for it too. Well peeps, i hope they find a solution for this problem. honda swap me out for a HFP Coupe with Nav, so i guess i cant complain too much
Old 10-14-2012, 11:57 PM
Drifting

Tbh, I think all the newer acura's have this problem... We got a 2012 TL Tech rental and the clunking was even worse and louder than the TSX
Old 10-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
Yup looks like the ILX guys are experiencing the same problems. just got back from reading there forum. Wow!! whats going on with the quality of the Honda's premium brand. I mean i would have kept my SE if that stupid noise wasn't there. i had big plans for it too. Well peeps, i hope they find a solution for this problem. honda swap me out for a HFP Coupe with Nav, so i guess i cant complain too much

they took your car back and traded it for a HFP coupe?

nice!
Old 10-15-2012, 06:26 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BobbyC
they took your car back and traded it for a HFP coupe?

nice!
yea i had a 2010 TSX 6sp and traded for a 2012 SE. yea the HFP accord is nice. but i miss the handling and the interior quality of an acura. the power and extra features offset it.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:40 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
It'll be hard to tell now that it has gotten colder since the noise only really gets loud when it is over 90 degrees or so.
I got the car back last night. It seems less noisy over speedbumps but it is really hard to tell.

Quick Reply: had to take my 2012 tsx to the dealer