Clutch clicks when depressing

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch clicks when depressing

So I've mentioned this a couple times in other threads, but never made a dedicated thread to it. I'm curious to see how many others are having this problem, and draw on fellow members' expertise.

From the first day I bought the car, the clutch lets out a click every time it's pushed in. I would say it's at about 20% in, right about the spot where it would engage. The faster I push in the clutch, the louder the click is. That's to say that if I very slowly push past the spot, you can hear it very faintly, and if I blow past it as if I were driving, it's much louder. Happens at a standstill and when I'm moving (whenever I push in the pedal), and the sound seems to be coming from the clutch area. It's incredibly annoying, and while I think I've gotten sort of used to it, I've noticed that it generally just makes me uneasy when I'm driving, whether I notice it or not.

I took it to the dealer after a couple months of owning it (bought it in May 08) and was told that it was the clutch mechanism, that's the way it was, and it couldn't be fixed.

Can anyone offer any insight into this issue?
Old 07-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 547 Likes on 354 Posts
The 7th gen. Accord coupe had the same issue and I have heard about a few 8th gen. with it also. Here are some threads I dug up that you may find helpful:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...t=clutch+click

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...t=clutch+click

It seems to be a Honda thing, and one that can and should be fixed.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the link ESHBG. Lots of those people are talking about a squeaking clutch, though I did see a couple references to a clicking sounds. I should point out that I had a '98 Civic before the TSX that had the squeaking clutch problem. I got it lubed 2 or 3 times, but after it kept coming back after 100 miles or so, I just said forget it, and stopped trying.

However, to be clear, I'm not have a squeaking sound with the TSX. It's absolutely a click. But it does sound like, initially, that others have had the issue. I'm just curious if I'm going to have any luck with the dealer. I did just move, so I could try out my new local stealership to see. I have to take it in for B1 anyway.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:28 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
I've been doing a lot of work on a 350Z for a co-worker and one of the items on the list was a clutch master cyl & operating cylinder. I did notice a little clicking that I traced to the nuts that hold the master cylinder on the firewall. There was a little spongy high density seal on the outside where the master cylinder mounted to the firewall and after installing to the correct torque, over the period of a week or two the seal compressed, making the studs/nuts loose. So...when driving, it would make a little 'click' at a certain point every engagement. I retorqued the nuts and the sound went away.

Granted, a TSX & a 350Z are two different animals, but, there is a clutch master that comes through the firewall and attaches to the pedal on both cars. Look under your dash and look for the bolts or nuts that hold the master in place. (Follow the clutch pedal to the top, then look for a rod that's attached to it, that rod is the clutch master.) Put a socket on the bolts/nuts and *gently* turn to tighten and see if they're loose. *Do Not* overtorque it, just a 1/8 or 1/4 turn may solve your problem.

I'm exercising rectal linguistics here, it's possible the master mounts from the engine compartment side, but either way, that would be my first look-see.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:28 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a problem on my DC5R and it was the hard clutch line moving slighly when the clutch was depressed. The line just needed a slight tweak and the noise went away.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lol i never knew that this was an issue.. just thought it was the way the car was.. the only reason i know the clutch is depressed is because of that click other then that its so light, unles you slam it to the floor you'd never know lol
Old 07-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Advanced

i'll have to give the tightening a try.. i'll let you know what i find.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:57 PM
6th Gear

For what it is worth, I have a 2005 TSX and I know EXACTLY what you are referring to and I have had the same problem since the car was new. It seems to always be worse when the outside temp is very hot compared to the sound/feeling of the the "click". I have come across before those who believed it was the switch that prevents the ignition key from being turned if the clutch is not depressed to others who have had the whole master cylinder replaced (which did not seem to be a fix either). Spraying silicon up into the perceived clicking area does seem to help for a short time, but it is very difficult to lay down under the steering column to do this. Anyway, not much help I know, but I wanted you to know that you are not the only one with this issue.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Advanced

So I took my TSX over to Rosenthal Acura in Gaitherburg, MD for a B1 service, and asked them to take a look at my clutch while they were in there.

After waiting for the requisite hour and a half, they finally came to the waiting room and told me, "As for the clutch, our techs really couldn't find anything mechanically wrong with it. There would have to be something actually wrong with the clutch for us to replace it." To which I said, "Actually wrong.. like a clicking clutch maybe?!"

Granted, it was late afternoon on Friday, so I don't think they gave it their full attention, but so far I've been told twice that it's part of its "normal operation." To me, normal operation is me going to sit in all the 09 TSX's they have on the lot, and hearing a loud clicking sound with each one's clutch when I push it in. I just don't think that's going to be the case. Anyway, the dealership was an out-of-town one that was convenient at the time, but I'm going to take it to Tischer Acura for the first time and see what they say.

It's frustrating when I hear the same thing over and over, when there is clearly something wrong. These people are making me feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Maybe customer service would help?

On a side note, my front right tweeter is blown.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,007 Likes on 14,511 Posts
Dude...funny thing is I was thinking the same thing...if they're gonna call it normal I would stand there and make them drive every one of the ones on the lot that have the "abnormally" quiet clutches!
Old 08-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Racer

I have a clicking sound coming from under the dash somewhere, so I assume thats the sound everyone is talking about. I just thought it was normal...something in the pedal assembly making a click. Its always in the same place and didn't seem out of order.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:51 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
i have a 2004 TSX and it also does this, i also notice it more on warmer days.