Canadian 2009-2010 TSX: Pinging Issue, TSB now out in Canada!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Canadian 2009-2010 TSX: Pinging Issue, TSB now out in Canada!

Hello fellow Canadians,

Just to let you know, it seems like the TSB for Acura Canada came out on Oct. 2nd for the pinging issue. Not bad timing considering the American TSB came out last month.

I just got a call from a local service manager advising me to return to the shop to perform the repair after them having denying the issue existed and refusing to fix it since there was no Canadian TSB.

Will report back with how it goes.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:05 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi any updates since you posted, did your dealer do the update??
Old 10-13-2009, 08:44 AM
Advanced

My appointment is this Friday..
Old 10-21-2009, 11:23 AM
Cruisin'

Did anyone in the Toronto area make an appointment for the TSB?
Thinking about which dealership to go to!
Old 10-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sunnytl
Did anyone in the Toronto area make an appointment for the TSB?
Thinking about which dealership to go to!

I had a lengthy discussion with Acura 2000 in Brampton a couple of weeks ago. Basicaly at that time the couldn't do anything as the TSB had not been released. I sent them a copy of the US TSB and they were talking to Engineering at Acura and they said that nothing could be done. Very frustrating. If anyone has a copy of the Canadian TSB I would appreciate a copy so that I can go back to the dealer.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Instructor

Knock Sensor

I haven't made any appointment yet waiting for my Service Ad visor to call me and schedule an appointment
Old 10-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Intermediate

i can confirm the canadian tsb has been released, my serive advisor in north vancouver told me that they are waiting for the knock sensor since it is back order but as long as they get it i will get the ping fixed under warranty
Old 10-22-2009, 03:33 PM
1st Gear

Hi, Just called Acura Head Office and they are saying the TSB has not yet been released in Canada. If anyone in the Toronto area has been successful in making an appoinment to have the work done, please let me know the dealership.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Cruisin'

Went to Acura in Markham but they have no clue what I am talking about! They ar probably lying! Does anyone have a copy of the Canadian TSB please?
Old 10-24-2009, 12:08 AM
Instructor

ping

Went to Acura in Markham but they have no clue what I am talking about! They ar probably lying! Does anyone have a copy of the Canadian TSB please?
talk to some other service advisor in the same dealership or call some other ones in GTA..I called mine they said they have the service bulletin for TSX..when i called first guy said theres a service bulletin i called again another dude says none for 09 tsx then I call again and another dude says yes they have service bulletin for 09 TSX. so it is out but these guys are computer illeterate to open up and search for any TSX bulletin
Old 10-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by the_razor
talk to some other service advisor in the same dealership or call some other ones in GTA..I called mine they said they have the service bulletin for TSX..when i called first guy said theres a service bulletin i called again another dude says none for 09 tsx then I call again and another dude says yes they have service bulletin for 09 TSX. so it is out but these guys are computer illeterate to open up and search for any TSX bulletin
I got mine repaired a few days ago under the Canadian TSB, so it definitely exists. My dealer apparently replaced the knock sensor + 4 intake manifold gaskets and upgraded the PCM and AT softeware. The pinging in my car, which used to be horribly loud in the 4-4.5K range, is now almost (maybe even) completely gone. There appears to be a small difference in how the car shifts, I'm not sure, but really no performance deficit whatsoever. It runs great now.

So not to worry, it should only be a matter of a short while for you guys.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cec99
Hi, Just called Acura Head Office and they are saying the TSB has not yet been released in Canada. If anyone in the Toronto area has been successful in making an appoinment to have the work done, please let me know the dealership.
FWIW, I gave up on Downtown Acura in Toronto. The service manager told me that if you had to listen hard for the noise (ie - turn the radio down/off and kinda concentrate) that I shouldn't worry. Whatever. They've lost my business, that's for sure.

So... I went in to Erin Mills Acura in Mississuaga. They recognized the pinging, and were aware of the TSB.

I have not yet had the fix done, however, because they said that the knock sensor is on back-order. They're supposed to call me when it is in (but I think I'll be calling them next week just to check...).

I'll let you know when I get the fix done.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
Mpg

Anyone else experience any differences in fuel economy or driving feel after getting the fix done? Someone mentioned in the US thread that their MPG dropped a bit after the fix....I'd pass on the fix if it meant a decrease in fuel economy.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 5thTo2nd
Anyone else experience any differences in fuel economy or driving feel after getting the fix done? Someone mentioned in the US thread that their MPG dropped a bit after the fix....I'd pass on the fix if it meant a decrease in fuel economy.
Like I posted above, the fix cured my pinging problem and I am experiencing no real change in how the car feels. In addressing your specific question, I have also been monitoring fuel consumption. After the fix I still get around around 11.2l/100km city and 6.5l/100kms highway.....just like before, which is pretty good I think.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Advanced

I had my TSX fixed Friday Oct 23rd at Acura Sherway after the dealer first ordered the knock sensor from Montreal (took a couple of days).

I drove the car Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday and the "small ball bearing being rattled in a tin can noise" is gone.

Service at the dealer was great.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Cruisin'

Did anyone have there TSX fix in the GTA area please?
Old 10-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Advanced

Did anyone have there TSX fix in the GTA area please?
acura sherway is in the GTA (south etobicoke)
Old 10-31-2009, 04:28 PM
Intermediate

Got the fix done on Oct 30/09 at Erin Mills Acura.

So far so good. Can't hear any pinging. I have an AT, and the shifting just seems... smoother somehow now.

All in all, I'm really happy.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Intermediate

First one at local Acura

I finally got around to bringing in the pinging TSB to my dealer. It was the US one, but they checked their system and found the Canadian one. Claimed it was the first they heard of it, but they have only sold ~ 10 09 TSX's (small dealership, 130 cars a year).

They noted it was warranty for 8 years or 100,000 km from purchase.

Said they'd order the parts.

I booked a tire change over (to snows) for the 23rd, so they said they would do it the same time if they can get the parts in by then.

No hassle.

We'll see how the service goes.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by NFTSX
I finally got around to bringing in the pinging TSB to my dealer. It was the US one, but they checked their system and found the Canadian one. Claimed it was the first they heard of it, but they have only sold ~ 10 09 TSX's (small dealership, 130 cars a year).

They noted it was warranty for 8 years or 100,000 km from purchase.

Said they'd order the parts.

I booked a tire change over (to snows) for the 23rd, so they said they would do it the same time if they can get the parts in by then.

No hassle.

We'll see how the service goes.
what dealer in which city did you go to?
Old 11-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Intermediate

Tucker Acura
Mount Pearl, NL
Old 11-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Intermediate

Got mine done on Nov 4, ping is 95% gone, that 5% left happens only on hard throttle on a 30 degree incline slope, so im very satified.

btw i noticed the car shifts at higher rpm, would that affect the fuel consumption u guys were talking about?
Old 11-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mwing
Got mine done on Nov 4, ping is 95% gone, that 5% left happens only on hard throttle on a 30 degree incline slope, so im very satified.

btw i noticed the car shifts at higher rpm, would that affect the fuel consumption u guys were talking about?
I had the fix two weeks ago. The pinging is gone (thank the Lord) and I also notice that the car shifts differently (I would say better). Moreover I have been carefully monitoring fuel consumption. I don't drive aggressively, nor like granny, and am getting 9L/100Kms (average city/highway) which is 26 mpg...........no change, just like before.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:43 PM
10th Gear

I just got this done. Didn't really have to since I installed a CAI to not hear the pinging but I did it anyways. You get slightly better throttle response - easier to blip to rev match IMHO.

I haven't noticed a HUGE differences in MPG, but I haven't been keeping track. I usually average 24.8. That hasn't changed much.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:07 PM
7th Gear

I had the fix done in Edmonton Alberta after twice having dealer deny that they could hear the rattling noise. Brought in a copy of the US Service Bulletin and they agreed to do it. Dealer claimed that I was the first they have done but that they were aware of the issue (yeah right, because I told you about it!). Like has been posted here by someone else, rattle is now 95% gone so I am very happy, especially since in was starting to seem like I had 3 more years on a lease of a car with a very annoying sound that I could not look past. Now I love this car again!
Old 11-19-2009, 07:16 AM
Intermediate

Dealer just confirmed my pinging TSB parts have arrived.

Appt. on Monday to put on winter tires and have the pinging issue resolved.

Will update later.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Intermediate

Got my car back at lunch time.
Work order only references knock sensor, no new software, and the manager was out when I was there.

Still got the engine 'rattle' on my way back to work, but will give it a few days to see if the computer gets any smarter.

Only noticed it once, and it was on the long, slight uphill merge onto the highway that always made it ping.

If it doesn't subside I will contact servie manager to see exactly what they did. I think the PC flash was more important than the sensor, so hopefully it was done, and I won't need another trip back.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Old 11-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Instructor

I agree with you. I got mine done they did both software and the sensor and I still hear a very slight one but this update did make a difference before the rattle was longer now its much better..As NFTSX says lets wait and see if computer adopts the new updates..

Originally Posted by Mwing

Last edited by the_razor; 11-24-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Intermediate

Mine seems to be improved again.

Shifts seem smoother, but I don't know if I would have noticed that if I didn't read it here.

Seems like it will hold a gear longer when cold, too.

Idle is definitely smoother... especially when cold/warming up.

I can still hear pinging, but have to put a big effort into it.

I'd call it 95% + cured, and I expect a few more days and a fresh tank of premium will take it the rest of the way.

Glad to be rid of it.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Instructor

So u still hear a bit rattle noise I wonder what will really fix this rattle for real. You think fresh tank of gas will really make any difference..btw which dealer did you take?
Old 11-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Intermediate

So u still hear a bit rattle noise I wonder what will really fix this rattle for real. You think fresh tank of gas will really make any difference..btw which dealer did you take?

Had mine fixed two weeks ago. So far no noise.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Intermediate

Tucker Acura
Mount Pearl, NL
^
Old 11-25-2009, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Any one did theirs at Acura of North Toronto??
Old 11-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Advanced

Acura of North Toronto is the GTA dealer closest to me, and where I bought my 2009 TSX.

While impressed with their sales department, I have had too many negative experiences with their service department to ever go back there.

Examples:
- They reset my oil service life indicator to 100% when I had my winter tires taken off in May (car was not in for an oil change at the time).
- Grill replacement work (needed due to rock damage) was done improperly, leaving a large gap. Took 2 more trips to finally get fixed. First time I took it back service manager said gap could not be fixed, which was BS.
- Phone calls and e-mails are usually ignored (such as when I enquired about whether they knew about the service bulletin).

Luckily Sherway Acura is close to where I work (dealer is across the street from Sherway mall, in southern Etobicoke). I have been extremely happy with the service I have gotten there. Dealer is also alot cleaner / nicer.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Instructor

Ha..the only service center I went is at North Toronto but after reading your opinion I am thinking of visiting other service centers. I agree North To has a good sales dept.. I noticed you did ur update in ur car almost a month ago do u hear any more noise..I hve a feeling the noise is not completely gone..

Originally Posted by tsxcisa
Acura of North Toronto is the GTA dealer closest to me, and where I bought my 2009 TSX.

While impressed with their sales department, I have had too many negative experiences with their service department to ever go back there.

Examples:
- They reset my oil service life indicator to 100% when I had my winter tires taken off in May (car was not in for an oil change at the time).
- Grill replacement work (needed due to rock damage) was done improperly, leaving a large gap. Took 2 more trips to finally get fixed. First time I took it back service manager said gap could not be fixed, which was BS.
- Phone calls and e-mails are usually ignored (such as when I enquired about whether they knew about the service bulletin).

Luckily Sherway Acura is close to where I work (dealer is across the street from Sherway mall, in southern Etobicoke). I have been extremely happy with the service I have gotten there. Dealer is also alot cleaner / nicer.

Last edited by the_razor; 11-26-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Advanced

noise is 99% gone I would say.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tsxcisa
noise is 99% gone I would say.
+1

I agree
Old 11-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Racer

has anyone tried using a fuel cleaner like Chevron Techron Concentrate? Personally I would get something like Red Line SI-1 or Amsoil PI. That will help the knock and pinging.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Intermediate

+1

I agree
Pinging all gone.
Idle is smoother too, especially when cold.
Seems a little smoother running and shifting overall.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S/b ???

Originally Posted by 240sxer
Hello fellow Canadians,

Just to let you know, it seems like the TSB for Acura Canada came out on Oct. 2nd for the pinging issue. Not bad timing considering the American TSB came out last month.

I just got a call from a local service manager advising me to return to the shop to perform the repair after them having denying the issue existed and refusing to fix it since there was no Canadian TSB.

Will report back with how it goes.

Anyone have the S/B number for this? IF you have had the fix done it will be on your paperwork.

Quick Reply: Canadian 2009-2010 TSX: Pinging Issue, TSB now out in Canada!