Balky Manual Transmission

Old 03-24-2019, 02:04 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Balky Manual Transmission

My 2010 TSX has almost 118k miles, and the 6MT is the best manual transmission I've owned, by far. But over the past few weeks, shifting has become very difficult at times, especially going into first, second, and reverse. Initially, it seemed shift quality was improving after warmup, but today it remained balky after driving for awhile in relatively warm temperatures, and it seems to be getting worse. (It also seems like I have to depress the clutch further to shift than before, but I'm less sure about that.)

Could this just require new transmission fluid, or is this more likely to be something more serious -- and expensive? I was hoping to keep the TSX through the summer to teach my daughters how to drive manuals (one has some manual experience), and then replace it with something that has MT and modern safety tech like a GTI or Accord Sport. I was hoping to avoid dumping money into the TSX before replacing it, but looks like that might not work.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:09 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Frequently, difficulty in shifting into gear results from dragging clutch. If shifting into high gear and then to low gear eases problem, a dragging clutch is indicated.

good luck
Old 03-25-2019, 10:12 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Nedmundo
My 2010 TSX has almost 118k miles, and the 6MT is the best manual transmission I've owned, by far. But over the past few weeks, shifting has become very difficult at times, especially going into first, second, and reverse. Initially, it seemed shift quality was improving after warmup, but today it remained balky after driving for awhile in relatively warm temperatures, and it seems to be getting worse. (It also seems like I have to depress the clutch further to shift than before, but I'm less sure about that.)

Could this just require new transmission fluid, or is this more likely to be something more serious -- and expensive? I was hoping to keep the TSX through the summer to teach my daughters how to drive manuals (one has some manual experience), and then replace it with something that has MT and modern safety tech like a GTI or Accord Sport. I was hoping to avoid dumping money into the TSX before replacing it, but looks like that might not work.
Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Frequently, difficulty in shifting into gear results from dragging clutch. If shifting into high gear and then to low gear eases problem, a dragging clutch is indicated.

good luck
@Nedmundo , as @TexasHonda says, your clutch is on it's way out.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:55 PM
Pro

Thanks guys. That's what I was afraid of. I'll get it checked out.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:01 AM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
When was the last time you changed your clutch fluid? And your MT fluid? Acura does not have a service schedule for the clutch fluid (really?), but since it's brake fluid, it should be changed at least every three years. Before giving up on this rare MT TSX, it's worth a deeper diagnosis. Check out:

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/Bad-Clutch-Symptoms

Some folks have had luck using GM Syncromesh clutch fluid vs the Acura brand.
The following users liked this post:
Nedmundo (03-26-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 01:07 PM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
Or what about adjusting the clutch. Could be as simple as that too.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:59 PM
Pro

Well, the clutch was shot, and the flywheel needed replacement too. Ouch. On another forum, I've seen that many Honda enthusiasts like Amsoil Synchromesh manual transmission fluid, so I had my shop used that. With this, the shifter feel is heavenly, probably the best it's ever been. The clutch is pretty heavy, but it has been for a long time.

Before the repair, things were really getting bad. I had a band rehearsal way out of town on Monday night, and at first shifting was okay, but after about half an hour it was almost impossible to shift into any gear. I barely made it to rehearsal, and was afraid I'd be calling AAA for a tow home. Afterwards, it again started off okay, but things declined and it was nearly impossible to shift by the time I got home. One of my bandmates said bad clutches get worse as they heat up, which probably explains it.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:40 PM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Just had my clutch/flywheel replaced 2 weeks ago at 165k (replaced with OEM). I knew it was on it's way out for months (even adjusted the clutch pedal twice during it's life to buy more drive-ability time), but procrastinated until it left me stranded... Symptoms were (numerous): Clutch pedal engaging lower (adjustment helped), clutch pedal requiring more force/stiffer than 'normal' (didn't really notice till I got the new clutch, felt much lighter), chattery engagement, cold weather throwout bearing whine, fast shift lockout.

Everything back to feeling smooth/normal now, just bought a new slave cylinder and removed the delay valve, will install that in a few weeks.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
I bet when “authorized” dealer does it, half of the under cover plastic clips will be missing/broken. Its also questionable if they will follow all the steps.