Approaching the end of basic warranty.....I'm scurred.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Approaching the end of basic warranty.....I'm scurred.

I'm sitting at 46k miles and my car is currently at Nalley Acura.

Its getting the following done :
1) Front & rear brakes/rotors (rears will be done under the class action lawsuit)
2) Master key is getting fixed for not retracting.
3) Subwoofer rattle being addressed.
4) Creaks from rear jack points are being looked at.
5) Fuel door fix.

I've owned tons of vehicles and always felt at peace when they crossed the dreaded 50k mile mark.

For some reason, I'm a little worried because when I was shopping for TSX's this vehicle earlier this year, I noticed tons of TSX's with rust spots where the sunroof is and I might be seeing signs of it in mine. Not actual rust spots but it looks like the black paint coming off from the inside from where the sunroof and body makes contact. I figure that after a while, it will eventually lead to rust.

I am aware of the rust warranty but will they cover the reason the rust accumulated in the first place? Did reasearch and discovered that in some TSX's the water channel isn't doing its job, therefore, letting water sit.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
not to offend ya, but please do a search. i remember a thread LITERALLY IDENTICAL(almost) to this not too long ago, that quite a few people commented suggestions in. you'll find more answers and alot quicker by looking there.(probably before you cross the mark, instead of waiting for new answers!)
Old 10-03-2011, 06:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
and also, if your that worried, invest another $1000-$2000, whatever it is, in extended warranty, aka acuracare. you can enroll till 50K miles. pretty comprehensive coverage.
also discussed in a thread on here. choose what fits you

http://www.curryacuracare.com/index.cfm
Old 10-04-2011, 08:44 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by Mizzy
I'm sitting at 46k miles and my car is currently at Nalley Acura.

Its getting the following done :
1) Front & rear brakes/rotors (rears will be done under the class action lawsuit)
2) Master key is getting fixed for not retracting.
3) Subwoofer rattle being addressed.
4) Creaks from rear jack points are being looked at.
5) Fuel door fix.

I've owned tons of vehicles and always felt at peace when they crossed the dreaded 50k mile mark.

For some reason, I'm a little worried because when I was shopping for TSX's this vehicle earlier this year, I noticed tons of TSX's with rust spots where the sunroof is and I might be seeing signs of it in mine. Not actual rust spots but it looks like the black paint coming off from the inside from where the sunroof and body makes contact. I figure that after a while, it will eventually lead to rust.

I am aware of the rust warranty but will they cover the reason the rust accumulated in the first place? Did reasearch and discovered that in some TSX's the water channel isn't doing its job, therefore, letting water sit.
None of the issues you mentioned are scary. The water channel issue may be a problem but regular maintenance ought to take care of that.

You want to see scary? Here is a post on E90post (a major BMW site) from this morning. Not my car - I'd have ditched it long ago.

*Here is my time line*

• 6k-8k miles ---- Low oil warning weekly I was adding 1 to 3
quarts a week (was told this was normal)
• 6500mi -----Right tail light goes out (fixed)
• 6500mi --------Left tail light goes out (fixed)
• 9k miles --------brakes won’t stop squealing (fixed)
• 10k mi ------Right tail light goes out again, and I got a ticket from officer (fixed again)
• 11k miles – brakes still squealing (fixed again)
• 13k -16k-----oil prob back added 3qts on one day ( shop kept it for a week said couldn’t find an issue not to worry)
• 18k mi—left tail light goes out (fixed)
• 19k mi – Left tail light again this time just small bulb but
dash warning was annoying
• 22kmi ---comfort access gets possessed and works only when it wants to doesn’trecognize key, both mirrors point
to the sky, random stuff like that (still not fixed)
• 22k mi – entry lights in car and out quit working (fixed)
• 22k mi – Halo on right goes out (fixed)
• 25kmi – oil issue back again and in full force on a trip and the car has me pull over because it is not safe to travel due to oil level
• 30k mi – Halo on left ( I fixed)
• 32k mi – seat belt slipping off of actuator ( fixed but only lasted a week and still doing it)
• 34k mi – HID xenon burns out (fixed)
• 36k mi --- oil issue back again!! Car went in for 3 weeks and hey they found the problem, Crank case housing had been misaligned the whole time so everything that had Been told to me prior was just a load of crap
• 36k mi --- HPFP goes out in an intersection non the less
• 43k mi --- Both turbos blow

A few notes for non-BMW people:

Mirrors are set to memory along with the seats
In the coupe, a "arm" grabs your seatbelt and hands it to you as you get in. The arm first starts missing the seatbelt, then stops working altogether. Because of the long doors, you need this arm (or you need to be a contortionist) to reach the seatbelt.
The HPFP is the "high pressure fuel pump." BMW turbo cars have two fuel pumps a low pressure and a high pressure pump. The warranty on the HPFP has been extended to 10 years/120k miles and a recall was conducted but neither adequately fixes it. Even the latest revision of the HPFP is prone to failure. It seems to happen more frequently in the US and the cause of failure is unknown. A failure while driving results in sudden loss of power.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
I almost got an E92 before going back to my CU2, and it's a shame there are so many issues (the HPFP especially). Those are some fun cars to drive for sure.

Back on topic, though. PyroDave is correct, if OP is scared of the warranty expiring, then just buy more warranty, or get rid of the car. Life is too short to be worrying about your car all the time.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I was merely ranting about the issues stated above but more "afraid" of the spot that (might) accumulate rust.

I can't have them fix rust that isn't there yet but will likely show up in a few years.