2012 Acura TSX Issues..taking to dealer

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Acura TSX Issues..taking to dealer

Had my car for about less than a month and have put about 300+ miles on it. Driving mostly local, and have heard some odd noises that I have not taken seriously until I drove to Georgia today to purchase Powerball tickets .

On the way to Georgia, doing about 80mph or less the rattling steadily got worse as the trip went on. The rattling sound seemed to be coming from behind the dash and happened mostly over rough roads on the highway. On top of that, whenever I accelerated, I would here a whining noise..much like a supercharger (if only..) And to top it off, there is a very distinguishable whistling noise when my foots on the gas and going about 80 mph.

Taking it to dealer tomorrow so they can diagnose. Not too happy about it, considering the car is so new. Hopefully it is nothing serious...purchased this car for reliability and comfort (drove a GM before). However, the GM has made less noises than my TSX so far.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by larryt1026
Had my car for about less than a month and have put about 300+ miles on it. Driving mostly local, and have heard some odd noises that I have not taken seriously until I drove to Georgia today to purchase Powerball tickets .

On the way to Georgia, doing about 80mph or less the rattling steadily got worse as the trip went on. The rattling sound seemed to be coming from behind the dash and happened mostly over rough roads on the highway. On top of that, whenever I accelerated, I would here a whining noise..much like a supercharger (if only..) And to top it off, there is a very distinguishable whistling noise when my foots on the gas and going about 80 mph.

Taking it to dealer tomorrow so they can diagnose. Not too happy about it, considering the car is so new. Hopefully it is nothing serious...purchased this car for reliability and comfort (drove a GM before). However, the GM has made less noises than my TSX so far.
Are you sure it rattles behind the dash? On mine ('11 wagon) the only thing that rattles (it's more like a buzz) sometimes is the key fob. The noise is so minor and infrequent that I didn't even think to mention it to the dealer.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:04 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Novichek
Are you sure it rattles behind the dash? On mine ('11 wagon) the only thing that rattles (it's more like a buzz) sometimes is the key fob. The noise is so minor and infrequent that I didn't even think to mention it to the dealer.
Are you sure it is the fob? I have similar buzzing and removed everything from the fob but the buzzing remains - even if I hold the key.

There is a secondary buzzing near the bottom pillar that is the grab handle. A small felt doorstop from a kitchen cabinet fixes that nicely and is invisible.

The dash buzzing isn't bad enough to warrant a trip to some the dealer so I'll just wait a month until my car begs me for a blood transfusion
The following users liked this post:
Novichek (04-05-2012)
Old 04-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Advanced

Well I got my car back. They said the intake cover was a little loose and the rattle they said was from the key. According to my bill, they said they tightened the key fob for the fix. Right after pulling out onto the main road from the dealership, the whine was back from acceleration. However, the rattle was gone when I took the highway home from the dealership. The service advisor said the whine is from the transmission, but I do not believe it. The loaner they gave me had no such whine, as well as my buddies '10 TSX.

I am going to bring it back AGAIN, and I am making the advisor get in the car with me to hear it. I still think this is BS. Will keep you all posted.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:09 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Are you sure it is the fob? I have similar buzzing and removed everything from the fob but the buzzing remains - even if I hold the key.

There is a secondary buzzing near the bottom pillar that is the grab handle. A small felt doorstop from a kitchen cabinet fixes that nicely and is invisible.

The dash buzzing isn't bad enough to warrant a trip to some the dealer so I'll just wait a month until my car begs me for a blood transfusion
I couldn't believe it's a key fob myself, but no buzzing with valet key. I can feel the key blade is a little loose inside the fob. I'll take it apart when I feel like tinkering. I like your doorstop idea - thanks!
Old 04-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Advanced

This is a long post but bear with me...

So this is the final update from the service guys at the dealership. They say that the transmission whine is normal, even though mine is a good amount louder than the other 3 we test drove. Their reasoning is that each of these cars are different, as parts of it are handmade and therefore each car will produce unique/different sounds. I don't know if I really believe them since the other 3 that I test drove were not nearly as loud as mine.

But who am I to argue with these acura technicians..they say the next step is to take it up with their district manager and have him hear it and make a decision. Or just enjoy the car as it is. They ensure that the transmission is safe and working properly. They advocated my situation and submitted a “snapshot” of the engine and transmission performance to their technical support line. From the graphics, they were not able to determine any problem with the vehicle’s operation.

What do you guys think I should do at this point? I'm between a rock and a hard place..thinking about taking it to a mechanic and see what they say. For those that read the whole thing...thanks for bearing with the long post lol.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
i had a similar situation with a noisy transfer case. first dealer 2-3 visits. finally they say 'its normal' i say 'lets drive another' and like you, others are ALL quiet.

i call jeep. they tell me 'go different dealer' so i DO THAT.

goes thru the same paces, says its normal. BUT he says I will do you a favor. we will rebuild it. car has 7K miles.

so they do that, at 8500 it explodes on the inside and I get a whole new transfer case. same one in there for 144K miles.

point is DONT let them touch it unless you are getting a new one.

also its noted all over your service record so if you have an issue down the road you hav e something to stand on/

Good Luck!
Old 04-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
Originally Posted by Novichek
I couldn't believe it's a key fob myself, but no buzzing with valet key. I can feel the key blade is a little loose inside the fob. I'll take it apart when I feel like tinkering. I like your doorstop idea - thanks!

i got the same thing....the freaking key buzzes at 80 MPH+

Thanks to the poster who said that. I grabbed the key and the BUZZing stopped...WTF/
Old 04-11-2012, 12:39 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a 2012 tsx that makes this very annoying squealing noise, been to the dealer several times and they cannot fing the noise, first thought it was the pairing of the ph but i took the ph out and still makes it, sounds like a bad bearing or something. car will be going back again it needs to be fixed.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:56 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
how odd...i did not encounter any rattling or buzzing or anything out of the ordinary when i drove 80-90 mph. then again i was rockin' out to my music but when i lowered it i still didn't hear/notice anything out of the ordinary...
Old 05-21-2012, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 TSX Whine!

the whine first appeared around 3k. First time I took it to the dealer we did a test drive with the mechanic and he said yes he could hear the whine. I was then told by the service manager that "this is the nature of the car!!!" I asked why the car did not make the noise for the first 3K and he had no answer. He said to bring back the car if the noise got worse....so about three weeks later I bring back the car and have a factory rep ride in the car along with the mechanic. Yes, everyone can hear the noise! The factory rep tells me even though he can hear the noise he has to listen really hard to hear it and the noise does not affect "the saftey, the driveability or the value of the car!" At this point they are now willing to do anything about it at all!