2010 TSX V6 Starts with a THUD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 07:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 TSX V6 Starts with a THUD?

I have a two month old (<1K miles) V6 and have noticed that the engine starts strange. It usually starts on the first crank, but makes a thud noise when it starts. We have a 2007 TL-S that starts in about two cranks and doesn't make this noise. I've been told the engines are the same. I'm bringing it to the dealer next week for a major water leak around the sunroof/passenger visor so I'll mention it then and ask to hear another V6 start. If it doesn't make the same noise, I'll ask them to fix it along the water leak. I'm really starting to hate this piece of crap. This will be the fourth time returning to the dealer. I have a list of other not so serious problems that are just building a case to dump it. So much for Japanese built quality. Our 2007 TL-S is built MUCH better and has been flawless, absolutely NO problems. List of problems/complaints:

- Major water leak around sunroof, headliner now needs to be replaced.
- Thud noise when starting (mentioned above)
- Engine sometimes will not start. Cranks for 5-10 sec then gives up???
- Various rattles and squeaks.
- Wing sploiler needed to be replaced. Mounting bolts sheared off after closing trunk a few times. Could have been tech over tightening bolds, but can't be sure.
- Loose trunk liner, fixed myself.
- Steering wheel radio controls sometimes don't work if I push the preset buttons while nav system boots. Dealer said they can't fix???
- Backup camera sometimes doesn't work. Haven't figured out the pattern yet. Once I do, another trip to the dealer.
- Poor paint quality, found a few blemishes after first wash. Seems like clearcoat is missing in those aeas.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Intermediate

Sorry to hear about your problems. I've never seen anyone with so many problems with their TSX. Hopefully for everyone else's sake you just happen to have gotten a bad one. Not that I wish that upon you.. lol. Good luck with everything.

On a side note... how does the V6 drive?
Old 05-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Hi,
My V6 also does the THUD when it starts, but not all the time. It depends how it was off before re-starting and the outside temperature. I think it's due to the engine mount, and I think it is within normal parameters.

Regarding the other issues, I suspect that most of them may have been due to dealer installing your lip spoiler. involved removing trunk liner so did not re-install properly.

The water leak is likely due to either a bad seal or a mis-adjusted sunroof. (Mine was misadjusted and, I had to re-adjust it myself as soon as I got the car in my driveway from the dealership).

I have no problems starting the car.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Intermediate

All,

Thanks for the replies. As for the spoiler problem, I'm also leaning towards an installation problem and not a defective part. I'm really pissed about the leak as the headliner has two bad stains and needs to be replaced. The car will never be the same as a lot needs to be removed.

I forgot to mention that the infamous brake squeal has just started, but only when I first drive the car. It goes away within a few hundred feet. I'll mention it to them. I'll fill you in after my Tuesday appointment. They said they may need to keep the car for a while. The V6 drives great, much quicker than the 4 (I've had three 4 cylinder loaners so far), but a new problem just surfaced today. I feel a shudder if I push it a bit. It isn't torque steer as I can trigger that if I floor it. I had the same shudder in my 01 Accord V6 that I traded in because of tranny problems which were very common for that car. I really want to dump the car, life is way too short for this crap, but my wife is trying her best to convince me not to. She usually wins.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:25 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
I understand your frustration... Don't jump to conclusions too quickly and wait until your problems are resolved. I am sure that the headliner replacement will be OK.

I am also picky with my cars, and I tend not to let the dealer touch anything unless I can't do it myself or that there is a warranty issue involving $$$.

As for the shudder, are you sure it is not wheel spin due to the power of the v6? Sometimes I see the traction control icon light up for a split second when i push the car a bit.

And for the brake squeal, it could be normal depending on the humidity and on how long you parked the car. Sometimes there is a very think layer of oxidation on the brake discs that will squeal when you first drive it.

Mention it to the dealer and let them check if your car is part of the rear brake TSB (not sure if it applies to the V6).
Old 05-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sgfitzs
All,

Thanks for the replies. As for the spoiler problem, I'm also leaning towards an installation problem and not a defective part. I'm really pissed about the leak as the headliner has two bad stains and needs to be replaced. The car will never be the same as a lot needs to be removed.

I forgot to mention that the infamous brake squeal has just started, but only when I first drive the car. It goes away within a few hundred feet. I'll mention it to them. I'll fill you in after my Tuesday appointment. They said they may need to keep the car for a while. The V6 drives great, much quicker than the 4 (I've had three 4 cylinder loaners so far), but a new problem just surfaced today. I feel a shudder if I push it a bit. It isn't torque steer as I can trigger that if I floor it. I had the same shudder in my 01 Accord V6 that I traded in because of tranny problems which were very common for that car. I really want to dump the car, life is way too short for this crap, but my wife is trying her best to convince me not to. She usually wins.
If you push it a bit the VSA will kick in and you'll get your shutter. It's normal. Of course you can turn the VSA off and have more fun with it.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had similar issues

Breaks squealing yes
Leaking sun roof.. I swear sometimes I'm in the car wash and with the visor open I can feel water drop on my shoulder
poor paint quality yes
back up camera not working sometimes, yes but can never reproduce at dealership.
Rattling and squeaking when driving on bumpy roads, yes
sounds like my windshield isn't seated in right.

Enging not starting? You just need to give the fuel pump time to kick in before you just crank the key.

Turn it to on I usually wait untill all my lights on my dash come on, then I turn the car on never had the starting issue again. usually happens in the cold.

Also engine fluttering or whatever..
I have a 4cyl so might not apply

But i Know since i got my ping service done my car on moderate to a bit more aggressive acceleration jitters almost like the engine is coughing or a cylinder doesn't fire once or twice. It's weird and I hate it especially when I have people in the car

Makes it look like its my shifting though my foots not even on the clutch!

Last edited by Tishkevich; 05-30-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sgfitzs
All,

OMG... I have a 2001 Accord coupe ex v6. I hate the shutter. I was getting fed up and thinking of getting the tsx. Now I know the only way to escape is to wait for honda to put the zdx 6speed auto in the tsx,civic, accord, etc. hope the new 6speed is good.
or go another brand with higher quality and build.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:34 PM
Intermediate

I had the same car, ~140K miles when I traded it. I take all our Acuras/Hondas to a local Honda tech I've been using for >15 years. I trust him 100%. He said the shudder was definitely a sign of problems. Pay very close attention for other problems. Ours was slipping, especially when cold. Also, if I put the car into 2nd gear, there was an ~5sec delay and then a very loud bang. The first time it happened we actually thought the car behind us hit us, we were at a red light. Unlike the other problems, this problem was not intermittent, it happened every time I put it into 2nd. There were also times it wouldn't engage into 2nd gear at all. These are all early signs of the now infamous V6 automatic tranny problems. Many Hondas/Acuras had the same problem. The tranny was getting close to complete failure. Not sure what I'm going to do if the dealer says it's a tranny problem. I don't want to deal with this crap. Replace a tranny in a new car with <1K miles on it??? No way. I'll probably just cry, dump the car at carmax (hopefully they can't detect the problem), swear I'll never buy another Acura/Honda and buy a Subaru.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:24 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
Sorry to hear about all your problems..I think you just got a lemon
Old 06-01-2010, 03:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I would lemon the car as soon as possible.
maybe get an Infiniti G37 instead?
Old 06-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Intermediate

I just heard from the dealer. The sunroof tray is defective (it is channeling water towards the center right where it leaked and not to the right drain tube). All the tubes are fine but the water is pooling in the center of the tray. The tray needs to be replaced. Since they need to remove the headliner, they will just replace it since they cannot remove the stains.

I have to say that the dealer (Norris Acura) has been great to deal with. Unfortunately, I have decided to sell the car. It is definitely a lemon. I haven't decided what to buy just yet, but I will not buy another Acura/Honda and will take more time to research the next time around.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Pro

what a lemon... sorry to hear about all your problems.
for me i would do the same thing... good luck...
Old 06-06-2010, 08:12 PM
1st Gear

I also have the "thud" when starting my V6. At the first oil change I asked the dealer to check into it. They noticed it also and tried 3 othe V6s on the lot and all did it, so they're response was that is it normal. I will try the technique mentioned by Tishkevich to wait a second before cranking. thx
Old 06-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Advanced

I have a V6 with almost 5000 miles now and now problems what so ever so far. I have never heard the thud, so i think you guys are all getting lemons (or im telling myself that to make myself feel better lol). Do you guys push your cars or no? Reason im asking is ive never had mine above 3500-4000 rpms yet.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Intermediate

A quick update in case anyone cares. The dealer replaced the drain pan, but the headliner is being shipped from Japan. They put the old headliner back in temporarily. They got grease stains on both A pillars, the sunroof shade and one visor. All need to be replaced.

I have a hard time believing the drain pan was defective, but that's what they said. My plan is to have them replace the headliner and sell the car. This is by far the worst car I have ever owned. Quick summary of my problems (car still has <1K miles):

- Major sunroof leak
- Back-up camera intermittently blacks out
- Steering wheel radio controls sometimes don't work
- Numerous squeaks and rattles
- Car sometimes will not start
- Wing spoiler bolt sheered off, though probably an installation problem.

I've been driving hondas/acuras for 25 years and still can't believe they let me down. I haven't decided what to buy just yet, maybe a Subaru. I'm not in a rush since we have a 07 TL-S and two Integras. Best of luck to all.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Instructor

That truly sucks! But I guess every auto maker builds a few lemons. I also own an Infiniti G-35 coupe 2004.
I hear the new ones have much higher quality of materials. My 04 does not compare tow my two Acuras.
Infiniti have issues also. mostly power door locks ,windows..
Good engine though.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:53 PM
Cruisin'

Sgfitzs, I'm curious as to where the water was leaking in your car?

Mine is currently at the dealer for the 3rd time it has leaked after a heavy rainstorm. They cannot reproduce the leak by testing with a high presssure hose and the carwash, because of this they will not replace anything or really do anything because they say they don't know where it is coming from.

After a heavy storm, when I am parked at work and get in the car, it is dry, but as soon as I back up out of my parking space, water streams down just to the right of my map light and soaks that area next to the windshield between the center console and the passenger visor.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Intermediate

KMU9728, this has been a major issue for me. I feel your pain. My car is currently at the dealership. They are replacing the headliner, passenger sunvisor, sunshade and both A-pillar covers. Mine leaked at exactly the same spot as you decribe. They said they removed the headliner and found that the drain pan was defective. The service manager (Fred @Norris Acura, Ellicott City, MD) who has been great to deal with, said the pan was deformed. When they ran water in the pan, all the drain tubes would drain properly, but water poured in the car right in the middle front of the pan. They replaced the pan two weeks ago and it took until now to get all the replacement headliner parts. The delay was actually good since it gave me time to test the fix before they replaced the headliner. I'm fairly certain they found root cause since I've had the car parked in exactly the same spot when I first noticed the leak and we've had a few major storms since then and no leaks. I also tested it myself last weekend by running the hose on the sunroof and flooding it for a few minutes, no leaks. I have a sunroof visor and noticed that it could make things worse. Those two small holes on the side of the visor can't seem to keep up and a lot of water pools in the front of the sunroof depending on the direction you are parked. This can't be good. These tests were all done with the car parked in exactly the same spot in my driveway.

With all this said, this problem still makes me uneasy. My gut says there is some kind of design issue here. I've owned Acuras/Hondas for over 20 years and never had a sunroof leak. I feel I'm going to live with this over my head, pun intended, for the life of the car. Due to this and other problems, we do plan on selling the tsx within the next few weeks.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Cruisin'

Interesting...my service manager has been in contact with the Acura techline engineers and the district reps have tested the car as well. They said that Acura has not heard of this problem before. Today, they talked to some sort of "expert" and he is going to have them replace the moonroof, the drain channels on the top of the car and remove and reseal the windshield in hope of fixing the problem, but they still do not know where the water was coming from. They said they tried plugging the moonroof drains and filling the tray with water and it didn't leak. They have tried sitting it in the carwash for hours and running a high-pressure hose on it for hours with no luck at reproducing the leak. They said there are no stains in the headliner and no water damage to indicate where it is coming from.
Right now, I'm just glad they are finally trying to fix it instead of just testing it. So far, they have kept my car for about 16 days for this issue and the new parts won't be in until sometime next week.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Intermediate

It may have something to do with the position the car is parked in during a storm. I had the car for two months and didn't notice the problem until I parked it my spare parking pad in the driveway. The nose was pointed up (I think the driveway slope is ~6 degrees) and the car was tilted toward the passenger side. My dealer was very quick to replace he drain pan. They tested it in a similar angle I had descrbed and it leaked right away. I don't know what the lemon law is in your state, but in MD I think it says if they try to fix it 4 or more times and it is in the shop for 30 days or more, it's a lemon. If you meet the lemon law in your state, I would follow the rules and request that Acura buy the car back. If they baulk, get a lawyer immediately. If my car leaks again it's gone, assuming I don't sell it before then, as soon as it meets our lemon law requirements. This car is a total piece of crap.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Intermediate

I forgot to mention that I'm almost sure it isn't the windshield seal. The first thing I tested this past weekend was the windshield. I ran high pressure water at the seal, making sure not to get any water near the sunroof rubber seal. I ran it for a few minutes. Absolutely no leak. I think they are wasting their time replacing the windwhield.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Intermediate

Did you see this post:https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-problems-fixes-145/moonroof-leaking-during-touch-free-carwash-752461/

Seems like it may be related. One person describes the leak in the middle front of the sunroof, right were we noticed our leak.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Intermediate

2010 TSX Major Sunroof Leak

KMU9728, if you are still reading this thread, you are not going to believe it!!! I just picked up my car with the new sunroof tray and headliner. The headliner and sunshade both have water stains on them. They replaced the headliner on Friday so it leaked sometime over the weekend. They want me to return the car and will be calling in an engineer. I've decided to hold out and see if I can hit the 30 days and 4X to see if we can lemon the car. It's already been in the shop for 13 days and 2X to address sunroof problems.

I think Acura has a major issue here. There is some kind of design issue with the sunroof. We are not the only ones. I'm calling a lawyer friend tomorow just to prepare to do battle if Acura attempts to play any lemon law games.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TSXV6Guy
Hi,
My V6 also does the THUD when it starts, but not all the time. It depends how it was off before re-starting and the outside temperature. I think it's due to the engine mount, and I think it is within normal parameters.
My 8th gen. Accord (same as your TSX) diesel does the exact same thing from time to time, and for no apparent reason. It's been doing it for a year or so now and nothing's fallen off, so I'm guessing it has to be harmless
Old 07-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Cruisin'

sgfitzs, how disappointing! Keep me updated on your situation and I will do the same. My car is still at the dealer waiting on the parts to arrive. 23 days and counting for mine at the dealer and this is the 3rd time it has been there for the leak, but I'm still waiting for them to attempt to fix it.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Intermediate

kmu9728, will do. Mine is also at the dealership. The "leak specialist" is due to arrive on Monday.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Intermediate

kmu9728, some more news. I dropped the car off last Thursday and the "leak specialist" was suppose to come on Monday. He never showed up and the dealer just called today (one week later) to tell me. So, the car has been in for a total of 21 days. I contacted a lemon law atorney and we definitely have a case, just based on the number of times the car has been back for repairs. Even if it wasn't back the required number of times, there is no way they are going to be able to fix this problem by next Friday (the 30th day). In Maryland, its 4X for the same problem or 30 days in the shop (non-consecutive) within the first 15 months. The specialist still hasn't looked at the car.
We're going to shoot for a buy back, not a replacement car or compensation. I will never buy another Acura, even the RDX loaner they gave us is a piece of crap. The rear bumper trim nearly fell off the car and it has never been touched. It reminds me of my wife's old neon. Acura has lost its way. They definitely don't build them like they used to.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Intermediate

kmu9728,any news on your end? I just heard from the service manager and the leak specialist feels that the problem was related to the sunroof visor. It comes with four clips and all were installed. He found that with the visor installed, too much water entered the pan and it overflowed what they think is a lip that is too short. When they remove the visor, it doesn't leak. I have no choice but to pick up the car, but I already contacted a lawyer and initiated a lemon law claim. Not sure where it's going to go. I still don't think it's fixed as I have a visor on my 07 TLS and it's never leaked. I think there is a design problem with the sunroof and it will leak again. I'm going to let the lawyer determine if we meet my state's lemon law criteria. We may need to wait to see if it leaks again.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:57 PM
2014 MDX, 2011 Audi B8 S4

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Funny...my 2010 TSX Backup Camera sometimes doesn't work either. It's only done it a few times. Very strange!
Old 07-13-2010, 04:59 PM
2014 MDX, 2011 Audi B8 S4

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2010 TSX Crystal Black Pearl paint in the front looks like a shotgun went off at it. Paint is chipping and all kinds of blems in the paint. Acura quality has gone down the crapper!
Old 07-17-2010, 02:27 PM
5th Gear

This car has a lot clunking and popping noises!
I have that engine thud since I got the car (TSX 2010 V6). I find it very annoying. My dealer says it's a normal characteristic of that vehicle which has to do with the vacuum/hydraulic controlled engine mount. He says he checked with their Engineering Group and that a few owners complained about having the same noise. I responded by saying if this was normal then every car should have the same noise. He did not respond to me. I took the car to another dealer who did not even try to diagnose the problem but I was told again he will have to check with their Engineering Group. I think they know what the problem is but won't do a fix on it. Will take the car to another dealer as their Client Service recommended....I guess the run around! Anyone who has this problem, please reply.

Brake pedal makes clunking noise when pedal is released. A typical problem with Hondas. I was told it's the solenoid and that normal.

Also, had popping noises when the car slows down, accelerates and when making turns slowly. This was repaired by bolting wedges in the sills on both sides of the car at the jack mount location. Service manager says noise due to friction between sheet metal in the sill area.

Hope to get rid of this car soon!
Old 07-17-2010, 02:33 PM
5th Gear

I haven't had any leaks so far, even during heavy downpours.
I am keeping my fingers crossed. I am a bit luckier, considering my car problem are noises.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:40 PM
5th Gear

See my response #32 below.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:01 PM
Cruisin'

sgfitzs, did they acutally do anything with your car this time? I don't see how the visor would cause a problem.

I finally got my car back last Friday after 6 weeks at the dealership. They put in a new windshield and sunroof. They were never able to recreate the leak after all kinds of testing. So far it has not been in any heavy storms, so no leaking, but only time will tell...
Old 07-31-2010, 11:03 PM
Pro

Old 08-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Intermediate

kmu9728, I'll try to keep it short, but it's hard. The dealer "said" they only needed to remove the visor, but when I got the car back, I found that they glued (super glue, epoxy, I'm not sure) the rubber to the glass. They neglected to mention this to me or on the repair invoice. I had a heated discussion with the service advisor and after talking to his manager, they agreed that it was not an authorized repair and said when I bring the car back (again) to replace the headliner that they would also replace the sunroof. They had an outside contractor do the leak testing and repair even though they said he would be an Acura leak specialist. I'm guessing there was a communication breakdown since after the dealer reviewed the contractor's repair invoice it clearly said the water was coming in between the glass and rubber. The sunroof was defective which isn't a suprise since the week after I bought the car, the rubber separated from the glass. This should not have happened. The rubber should be bonded to the glass at the factory. When he discovered this, he should have discussed it with my service advisor and the entire sunroof should have been replaced, it isn't field repairable. I checked with two other dealers and they both said the same thing, replace the entire sunroof.

I have since filed a lemon law claim through an attorney and Honda has agreed to diminished value compensation or a swap out (new car). I haven't decided what to do just yet. The attorney recommends that we let them make this last repair and wait a bit. If it works, then take the compensation. I can't say the amount, but it is significant. If it leaks again, then take the new car and at that time only the 2011s may be available (hopefully, a good thing). Using an attorney was free since the Maryland lemon law contains a fee shifting provision that requires the manufacturer to pay my attorney fees. Honda came back with an offer very quickly and I'm sure it's because the complaint was filed through an attorney. I never would have allowed them to keep my car as long as you did w/o filing a lemon claim. Not sure what the rules are in your state, but six weeks is way too long. You should file a claim. The value of your car has taken a serious hit, especially if the repairs show up on carfax as they did in my case.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:10 PM
VTX
Advanced

whew.... that moonroof put you through some hell. But why and how does a moonroof repair show up on carfax?
Old 08-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Cruisin'

They had my car a total of 6 weeks with 2 separate trips there. The first time it leaked this summer they kept it for a few days, then made me take it back because they couldn't recreate the problem. Then it rained and leaked the very next day, so back it went, this is when they first did more testing, waited on Acura engineers for the go-ahead to replace the glass, then waited about 3 weeks for all the parts to come in, place the new glass, re-test, then send it to a body shop to fix the scratches they put in my paint while working on it. I had no idea it was going to take this long to replace a windshield and moonroof!

So, now I'm going to have to go back because I was inspecting my car this weekend and they did not fix all of their scratch marks. I still see multiple scratches in the paint on my roof and hood! But...to top it all off I noticed very small red marks all over the silver paint of my car, but concentrated on the back end...looks like paint overspray that probably occurred while at the bodyshop, doesn't come off very easily with rubbing compound either!!! In addition they snagged the fabric on both sunvisors and left dark dirt/stain marks in several areas of the headliner.

I feel like my new car is totally ruined with it being all scratched up and torn apart.

I'm not really familiar with with lemon law in MO, but it does state if they don't fix the problem(s) within reasonable attempts of 4 times or have kept it for 30 or more working days it may be eligible. I'm just wondering what quailifies since my dealer could never confirm/recreate the leaking moonroof, but they did see it wet when I brought it in the last 2 times (first time it happened they were closed). And, if replacing the glass actually fixes the problem, would it still qualify since it was there for so long?
Old 08-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Intermediate

VTX, you are correct, the numerous sunroof repairs are not showing up on carfax yet. I'm too cheap to pay the $45 for the report, but if I enter my vin on their search form, it just shows one report. I assume that is the entry for the registration. My lawyer said it depends on the dealer. Some report all repairs, some none. I guess I could lie if I sold the car since the law doesn't require disclosure of problems when selling used cars. We are most likely going to take the swap since I will take a 15% hit with a buy back in Maryland. I have to decide between the compensation offer or a swap out. Who knows, the replacement car could have problems too and more serious than a sunroof leak.

Quick Reply: 2010 TSX V6 Starts with a THUD?