2009 TSX (Auto) - Grinding noise after starting car..

Old 05-31-2010, 02:28 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2009 TSX (Auto) - Grinding noise after starting car..

After I start my car, engine rolls over, all's great then after 2 seconds I hear loud grinding noise from under the hood that lasts for a second.. Usually this happens over night or when the car's been parked for a while, regardless if its hot outside or cold.

Has anyone had this issue before?
Old 06-01-2010, 07:00 AM
Intermediate

try to switch off all your consumers like A/C, sound and anything else; the A/C divice doesn't work at -3 celsius degrees and probably the car tries to tie.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
never had that problem.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bastircar
try to switch off all your consumers like A/C, sound and anything else; the A/C divice doesn't work at -3 celsius degrees and probably the car tries to tie.
It hasnt been -3 in months here..
Old 06-08-2010, 01:57 PM
10th Gear

I've noticed the same noise as well. It doesn't happen all the time. Only once every few days or weeks even. No idea what it is. Dealer wasn't sure either, but if it becomes consistent, I will take it in to get looked at.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Instructor

i have the same issue (6 spd manual). I took it into the dealer and they couldn't locate the problem, so I just deal with it.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Intermediate

Anybody have any updates on this? I'm having the same issue. I drive a 09' 6MT.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:25 AM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had this happen on my 2009 Auto recently. I think my car was parked in a garage for about a week.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:32 AM
Good Vibes

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Check out this board thread, someone found out it was the water pump (bad bearings).

http://bit.ly/ovUMZi

Hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:29 PM
Advanced

if its a rattle at cold start up there is a TSB for it.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Endika
if its a rattle at cold start up there is a TSB for it.
Thanks! I found the TSB. I'm going to bring the car in to get it fixed. Hope there is no engine damages =)
Old 10-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I have had mine at the dealer for this issue 3 times and they have yet to be able to "repeat" the issue. The car has sat over night each time I have had it up there, but does not make the grinding noise for the dealer. I was told that they can't preform the TSB until they actually hear the noise for themselves when starting the car at the dealership.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Did anyone have this TSB performed on their vehicle yet? This noise is really annoying!
Old 12-15-2011, 12:37 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a TSB out for it. I'm a tech at Acura of Reno, and we see if fairly often (maybe 1 or 2 a month). The VTC actuator on the intake cam drains all the oil after sitting over night, or in really cold situations. The colder it gets, the longer it takes for oil to reach the top end, especially the actuator. It controls the positive/ negative cam phasing on cold start up. That's why the K24 doesn't have any emissions components (besides 2 cat converters). I think the VTC actuator replacement takes about 3 hours. All of the ones we've replaced haven't come back with the problem anymore
The following users liked this post:
i_MOB (03-21-2013)
Old 12-15-2011, 12:40 AM
Cruisin'

It's becoming more of a problem as the weather get's colder. It doesn't necessarily hurt anything, but over a long period of time it can lock the actuator one way or another. You'll have the intake side running either + or - 20 degrees of cam timing. She'll be hard to drive at that point! If you have that problem, take it to the dealer.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:04 AM
Advanced

My dealer keeps telling me that they have to hear the problem when the car starts. Until they can replicate the problem they will not preform the TSB. Any advice on how to get my dealer to preform the TSB before the noise really becomes a major issue?
Old 12-23-2011, 08:16 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by leftyskikass555
There's a TSB out for it. I'm a tech at Acura of Reno, and we see if fairly often (maybe 1 or 2 a month). The VTC actuator on the intake cam drains all the oil after sitting over night, or in really cold situations. The colder it gets, the longer it takes for oil to reach the top end, especially the actuator. It controls the positive/ negative cam phasing on cold start up. That's why the K24 doesn't have any emissions components (besides 2 cat converters). I think the VTC actuator replacement takes about 3 hours. All of the ones we've replaced haven't come back with the problem anymore
Based on the TSB 10-024, VTC actuator is defective. However, TSB procedure tells to replace the VTC actuator that has the same part number as the defective one
(P/N 14310-R40-A01). If the VTC actuator is defective, wouldn't there be a new VTC actuator? If I get this replaced, I'm afraid it's going to cause the same problem in the future! Thanks
Old 01-15-2012, 01:05 AM
Racer

I had that issue for over a year and the TSB DID fix it. The real problem is getting the dealer to duplicate it since the sound isn't consistent. I had left my car at the dealer 3 different times over that time and finally this last time they got it to make the sound.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:54 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Same issue for me as well. I left my car at the dealer for 2 days of course the temp didnt hit below 40 degrees and then today temp was 18 degrees with a windchill of -1 and i went outside to start my car after the patriots game and it did it. Dealer wouldnt fix it unless they heard the problem so i guess when it gets really cold out again im bringing it in because i want it fixed before my warranty expires!
Old 02-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I had the same issue about a year ago. Replacing the VTC actuator fixed the problem. If you're not under warranty, it's about a $500 repair.
The following users liked this post:
i_MOB (03-21-2013)
Old 02-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 162 Likes on 133 Posts
I have the same issue on a 2011 auto
happens once in a while

Hopefully i'll get the delaer to fix it since you guys have dont the research and provided a Tsb
Old 03-13-2012, 08:03 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
It's the VTEC actuator. Had the issue and took it in several times. They couldn't replicate it, so I actually just video taped it and caught it on the first go. Brought it in, and they were able to confirm it was the VTEC actuator from the sound which gave them the go ahead to fix it. It's perfect now.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:46 PM
Advanced

I have had my car at the dealership several times for this issue but they have been unable to replicate the noise. I tried showing them a video I took after the first time the car was in but I was told that the tech had to hear it for themselves when the car is at the dealership. Anyone think that a call to Acura Customer Care will help me out in this situation? I am tired of hearing this noise when I start my car in the morning in my garage (my garage is no colder than 50 degrees by the way).
Old 12-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 89 Posts
VTC actuator

I had the replace before my warranty is up. One acura dealership bullshitted me.. Other one new the issue and replaced it. Make sure if your in the chicago land area go to Acura of Westmont.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Grigio09
VTC actuator

I had the replace before my warranty is up. One acura dealership bullshitted me.. Other one new the issue and replaced it. Make sure if your in the chicago land area go to Acura of Westmont.
Interesting.. I had mine there in July and they kept it for 3 days but could not replicate. It obviously seems to happen more in the cold, so I am taking it back tomorrow. Hopefully they can get me fixed up. My warranty is up, but it was there in July BEFORE my warranty was up, so hopefully they dont try and screw me.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Racer

I had the issue last year and I had to leave my car at the dealer for a week 3 different times before they could reproduce it. It only makes the sound when its cold out or cool and humid. I had the VTC tsb done and that seemed to fix it, but this year it still does it, although not quite as often. I've kinda given up on it as now it'll prolly be even more difficult to reproduce it at the dealer.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:25 AM
Clever caption here

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
This is good to know, lucky for me I'm a mechanic. But still good information.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 72 Posts
just started hearing this on my car and my warranty is up fml x2
Old 06-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Not to stir up an old thread but I figured I'd post in here instead of making my own thread regarding the same issue.

I have a few questions because I'm experiencing an issue that seems really similar to this.

Has anyone had an issue with there starter that was causing a symptom very close to the sound of the VTC actuator TSB? Personally when I listen to it, it reminds me more of a starter bendix or solenoid issue. It sounds as if after starting the car, it's gummy and isn't retracting and the noise is the sound of the starter spinning wildly with its non-precision gear.

Follow up - if my problem is indeed the VTC actuator issue, what is the seriousness of this problem? It's hard for me to make time to get the car into a dealer during the week working full time and being under 25 I'm unsure whether or not I'd be able to get a loaner car or anything like that to use for going to work while the car is there. Something I'm just apprehensive about since leaving my car at the shop is a huge pain, paying the diagnostic fee is a huge pain, and the last thing I want to do is pay for a loaner and diagnostic fee just to have them say they're unable to duplicate the issue..
Old 06-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
Originally Posted by JordanTSX
Not to stir up an old thread but I figured I'd post in here instead of making my own thread regarding the same issue.

I have a few questions because I'm experiencing an issue that seems really similar to this.

Has anyone had an issue with there starter that was causing a symptom very close to the sound of the VTC actuator TSB? Personally when I listen to it, it reminds me more of a starter bendix or solenoid issue. It sounds as if after starting the car, it's gummy and isn't retracting and the noise is the sound of the starter spinning wildly with its non-precision gear.

Follow up - if my problem is indeed the VTC actuator issue, what is the seriousness of this problem? It's hard for me to make time to get the car into a dealer during the week working full time and being under 25 I'm unsure whether or not I'd be able to get a loaner car or anything like that to use for going to work while the car is there. Something I'm just apprehensive about since leaving my car at the shop is a huge pain, paying the diagnostic fee is a huge pain, and the last thing I want to do is pay for a loaner and diagnostic fee just to have them say they're unable to duplicate the issue..
are there are any other dealers in your area? there is 1 in my area who wants a diagnostic fee, the other 3-4 dont. and 2 will give me a loaner no questions asked. i've been getting loaners since i was 17 lmao. 1 of the dealers requires you to be over 21, so i never went there either
Old 06-09-2013, 04:29 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by JordanTSX

If the car is under warranty you should never pay a diagnostic fee.

Call the dealer to see if there are any issues with getting a loaner because of your age.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:50 PM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
ABS self-check? Usually occurs right after initial start-up after sitting for hours or overnight and lasts for about a second. If so, then normal. Some are loud and some barely noticable. Its also on the FAQ section of the Acura Owners website.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Advanced

I got the VTC actuator replaced twice. First time, it seemed to solve the problem but after about a year, the sound came back. Second time, I got the VTC actuator replaced while getting the piston and rings replaced due to oil consumption issue. The noise hasn't came back since but it's only been few months and it only makes the sound when it's cold and humid. With so many problems with my car, I'm definitely staying away from Acura from now on.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:36 PM
2010 TSX

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
my 10 is doing this and its not covered by the TSB....vin 288889
Old 12-12-2013, 05:47 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have exactly the same issue, Accord 2.4 Euro AT.
Started a few months after I ran out of the warranty

Question: can I drive the car without problem, or must I fix it? For example my car was also suffered fron the pinging noise which I fixed, but that had no effect to the car except the sound and was not mandatory to fix it.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:54 AM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Received 856 Likes on 643 Posts
holly thread revival. anyways the problem your car is probably having is a bad VTC actuator. There is a TSB for it... i got my dealer to replace it for free even past warranty.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been having this sound coming from my '10 TSX (just outside of the VIN range for the TSB), with the dealer never being able to reproduce it. However, I had always been able to reproduce it by leaving the car sitting in the garage for more than 24 hours when the temps were below 50 degrees F.

In fact, while I was trying to video the problem so I could show the dealer during an upcoming service visit, the car wouldn't start. Turns out the battery had failed. Dealer replaced the battery under warranty.

Since then, I've haven't heard the issue at all!

Both the dealer and I, in conversation prior to the battery failing about the noise, had determined it was not the starter, so I don't think that is part of the equation. The sound just didn't appear to come from the starter, especially since the sound would only occur AFTER I let off the key.

So - my theory is that over the past few months, due to a failing battery, the starter wasn't turning over the engine fast enough to generate adequate oil pressure, thus starving the VTC actuator of oil for a few seconds.

That being said - I fully predict that the problem will return to my car at some point. Not having lubrication on the VTC actuator over many starts has got to have put additional wear on the part.

Just a theory, could be totally wrong. :-)
Old 12-12-2013, 07:51 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Received 856 Likes on 643 Posts
^^ Sounds right to me. My dealer replaced both my battery and VTC actuator and i have not heard the noise since then.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:56 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Guys, I sometimes hear a strange "moaning" noise from the engine area when I am accelerating from standig stop on a very light throttle. It is around 1500 rpm, light throttle, only sometimes of course. It is kind of similar of this VTC noise at startup. Do you think it is related? Do your cars this noise with faulty VTC too?
Old 12-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Advanced

I had VTC actuator replaced twice and every time, the noise seemed to dissappear. However, I recently started to hear the grinding noise again! Any suggestions????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 TSX (Auto) - Grinding noise after starting car..