2009 Acura TSX Warranty Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 10:19 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 Acura TSX Warranty Issues

Six months ago I just bought my second Acura. This time I bought a 2009 TSX (w/Tech package) and at the time of purchase it was still under manufacturers warranty ( I had 2 months left on it).

Right after I bought it, the backup camera did not work and the voice went out on the navigator.

I immediately went to the dealer to have it fixed. I also reached out to the acura directly.

All I have to say is now many months have passed and the dealer in conjunction with the manufacturer have replaced nearly every part they can think of ( driver side fuse box, passenger side fuse box, wire harness). Everything except the Navigator, but they swear it's not the navigator.

They have even taken the camera out of my car an into another acura and it works fine. Put another camera into my car and it doesn't work.

Also the camera and voice on the navigator will come on from time to time when it feels like it.

My question and it's a big one. It's been several months and my case is still open with the manufacturer and they still cannot fix the problem.

They call me every week to check and I think we are at the end of the line and I'm wondering if they are going to just tell me, "Well we can't fix it and youre on your own."

Can that happen? I know I'm the second owner, but I bought the car with low miles (38,000) and it had still not reached it's 4 year anniversary.

I do have a case number with Acura.

Any advice if they walk and can't fix it? This has gone on for several months and now I'm starting to worry. They did take down the dashboard and had a rep from Acura the manufacturer verify that the car had NOT been tampered with and whatever is wrong is on Acura's side. But they still cannot fix the problem and have not offered a solution.

Please help. Any advice is appreciated
Old 09-01-2013, 03:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Since it sounds like you've been over 60 days with them unable to repair your vehicle, you may have a right to initiate a lemon law claim depending on the laws of your state. My advice would be to send a certified letter to Acura corporate demanding that they fix your vehicle properly within the next 10 days and provide an extended warranty to compensate you for your trouble. If they fail to fix the problems then, pursue your rights under the lemon law.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:24 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by cdbmo
Since it sounds like you've been over 60 days with them unable to repair your vehicle, you may have a right to initiate a lemon law claim depending on the laws of your state. My advice would be to send a certified letter to Acura corporate demanding that they fix your vehicle properly within the next 10 days and provide an extended warranty to compensate you for your trouble. If they fail to fix the problems then, pursue your rights under the lemon law.
Not sure what state the OP lives in but it is very unlikely (completely impossible?) that the formal lemon law applies. I find it funny when people who know nothing about the lemon laws keep talking about them as if they apply in all cases.

So, let's talk about real remedies.

It seems that both Acura and the dealer are trying to do the right thing and that should be lauded. It also seems that they are unable to fix the car. Accordingly, you should decide what (reasonable) things Acura can do to resolve the issue.

What I can think of off the top of my head is for Acura to replace it with a similar car - perhaps newer and still under warranty. They'll actually want the car back in order to figure out what went wrong.

It sounds as if Acura is willing to do whatever is necessary to keep you happy so as long as your expectations are reasonable, you should walk away with a working car.

I've found that if you know what would make you happy, then the best strategy is to call Acura and say "I appreciate your trying to fix my car, but it looks like you are unable to do so. How do you propose resolving it?"

They may surprise you with an offer better than the one you would propose. If they don't offer up anything worthwhile, then propose your offer.

If they dig in their heels, then I would contact a lemon lawyer. While your car issue won't be resolved under the lemon laws, many lemon lawyers will still contact a manufacturer to resolve issues - if they see a few bucks in a quick resolution then they will jump on it.