Turbo build 2009 tsx k24z3

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 07:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 508 Likes on 315 Posts
Originally Posted by optimusaccord
Damn....

Keep track of which parts make up the kit for the head work. That will be useful later. For the rods/pistons is it any off the shelf k series piston and rod? Same with valves, springs and retainers??

Also, about to make my purchase from Axion.

Honest thoughts here Utah, the ZDX TB worth it, or stick with the TSX?

Right now I'm a smidge under 3500, still need to pick up two mufflers (would prefer a single 3"... but anyway) and 3 inch SS piping from the cat back, so that's more money. OR, I have been considering maybe getting an electronic cut out post the cat, so I could just flip a switch and have a straight dump post cat.

I'm open to suggestions, any thoughts, etc.

To have everything installed at local shop around 1700, so you know how much I've spent to get the parts and labor for you.

Before I cut the check just thought I'd reach out and see what you thought.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ZDX throttle body not a big deal with boost it will jam the air into the engine no problem I made 350 WHP not even trying with the stock TB

The exhaust if you put a dump tube in the exhaust you will have to tune for that backpressure and tune for it closed and that would be hard with flash pro any muffler shop can build a system for a reasonable price 1/3 the $1500+ cat back that is available

3500 is that what you need to buy the rest of the parts for turbo or is that with the transmission stuff ???
well better get out of work and get to the train
Old 08-27-2013, 09:10 PM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Originally Posted by UTAH TSX
I NEED ONE BAD
I'm using a antifreeze bottle full of rags in the front fender by the washer bottle temperately
I will buy one for sure sign me up, I need one that will drain back into the block where the PCV valve screws into the block (behind the drive belt tensioner)
Good luck with project, sounds like you are about done with school that's going to be awesome we will change your name to Mr. Joe bad ass engineer extraordinaire, I'm kind of jealous
hahaha that would be cool!!
I'm honestly hoping that this project kick starts my career, I currently work in the Gas Turbine Industry, but I want to do automotive. Hopefully I'll get some great contacts for the future and maybe some real companies interested in me.

Just out of curiosity, what size oil droplets are you estimating are coming from the PCV? I have done some research already and have found that on average they are anywhere from 1~3 microns in dia. The reason I ask is because if we can determine oil droplet size we can then determine the best way to separate it from the air.

Mishimoto ( our direct competitor) makes a baffled oiled catch can with a bronze filter... but it only catches oil droplets larger than 40 microns.

We have labs here at UCF, and I'm nearly positive we have a particle diffractor, but simulating actual blowby is gunna be really hard. Anyways... I'll keep you up to date with our project (if you're interested)

PS- we are doing research on that nifty new spray that is super hydrophobic- and oilyphobic. It's called ultra ever dry. So we got some exciting things in the near future.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by ssjoeboe9
So... I'm designing an oil catch can for our "Senior Design Project." (It's like the biggest project before we graduate as an engineer) We are sponsored by Improved Racing of Orlando. Albeit we are designing it towards LS series engines, it should be universal. It would be cool if you went with our catch can! It's 9 months out.. but I could prolly get you a good price, and it will be the BEST engineered catch can on the market, I personally guarantee it!
I would happily use one. I'll get a cheap one to tide me over if you are for real.
The following users liked this post:
ssjoeboe9 (08-28-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Holly crap I have no idea how many microns, I think the exhaust from a little two stroke weed eater with to much oil in the mixture would be close to what comes out of blow-by exhaust gasses and oil vapor ?????
Old 08-27-2013, 10:01 PM
Burning Brakes

I had been looking at the mishimoto... If you will have one better, please offer me a suggestion on a cheap one that will provide what I require.

I plan on my oil catch can having a drain that I can have drop out under the car with a little valve that I can turn and let it drain out safely. No need to drop it back into the car.

Utah - the 3500 is with everything, lsd, ring gear, 10 bolts, clutch/flywheel, injectors, pump, boost gauge, intake manifold, prl adapter plates, zdx and boring of the intake to match the zdx... Oil feed and drain from PRL

I'm just kind of on the fence before I drop the bank on it. Because I want a nice magnaflow exhaust. The TB and IM boring is ~300, and 300 can go a decent way in a set of mufflers and a high flow cat.

I need an oil catch can, and I know in a year or so I'd like a big brake kit and some nice wheels.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:52 PM
Burning Brakes

I had been looking at the mishimoto... If you will have one better, please offer me a suggestion on a cheap one that will provide what I require.

I plan on my oil catch can having a drain that I can have drop out under the car with a little valve that I can turn and let it drain out safely. No need to drop it back into the car.

Utah - the 3500 is with everything, lsd, ring gear, 10 bolts, clutch/flywheel, injectors, pump, boost gauge, intake manifold, prl adapter plates, zdx and boring of the intake to match the zdx... Oil feed and drain from PRL

I'm just kind of on the fence before I drop the bank on it. Because I want a nice magnaflow exhaust. The TB and IM boring is ~300, and 300 can go a decent way in a set of mufflers and a high flow cat.

I need an oil catch can, and I know in a year or so I'd like a big brake kit and some nice wheels.
You already have the turbo oil drain just like the PRL one get the prl oil feed block and a an-3 line with 1/8 npt fittings on both ends 30 in long it will screw into turbo no flange needed the turbo is already threaded
Old 08-28-2013, 12:37 PM
ROTAREDOM

Our can is 9 months out... but I can assure you our product will be of great quality. We are feverishly researching oil separation methods.
For now I'll give you some info on choosing an oil catch can, even if you decide to go with a product other than the one I am designing.

Firstly, you want MAXIMUM filtration of oil,water vapor, and other particulates while MINIMIZING pressure drop through the can. That pressure allows it to flow back into the system (usually the intake mani to be "re-burned" in combustion)
Secondly, there are two main methods of filtration; that is through a filtered medium (SS mesh, or CU mesh), or mechanical separation through centripetal force causing the oil to slam into the wall and coalesce (separate from the air and drop out of the air+oil solution caused by temp drop) which then runs down the can and accumulates at the bottom.
Time to decided... large mesh filters do well with stopping larger particles but do not really protect you from any droplet size less than ~20microns. But they are easy to find and relatively inexpensive.Coalescing catch cans can filter out oil droplet sizes down to .01 microns, and is a far superior method of filtering out particulates. But, to coalesce an oil droplet is hard business.. you need a lot of turbulators or "road blocks" if you will, to cause change in flow direction. This is where you get the most oil fallout. So to do that it requires intricate machining, which drives the cost up so much.

This is where Mishimoto combined two ideas with a baffled inlet (that's the part that allows for coalesence) and also inserted a bronze filter in the middle. So they dont rely solely on either method. Cut down machining cost & have a relatively inexpensive medium. Then why the high price? Probably cause they are the only ones on the market with that technology ( this is what we hope to change by creating a competitive market)
Old 08-28-2013, 04:52 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so when can we start putting down deposits?
Old 08-28-2013, 06:40 PM
4th Gear

Edit: This seems more...promising then a genesis coupe turbo'd. the V6 genesis turbo'd with 13 PSI only gets 425 whp + 475 Wtq with a meth setup and a tune. Maybe a stand-alone ECU tuned + 12 PSI on a i4 could possibly reach those numbers? he did reach 425 at 12 PSI with his turbo'd acura.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by killa4eva15
so when can we start putting down deposits?
As soon as optimus gets his installed and my car running I will start making a few kits nothing for sale yet
Old 08-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Burning Brakes

I agree with Utah.

Wait until I have mine installed. I have been very transparent to the cost. That way people will have a real world expectation of what to spend on the kit.

We will also be able to validate that the LSD works (or doesn't) and clutch and flywheel...

The only thing I won't be doing for a while, would be head work, or block work, but, Utah is doing that, so that's a good thing.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Supertech valves

Got the Supertech valves springs retainers seats and valve guide seals today verry nice stuff look how much thicker the head and stem taper are compared to the stock one and this is made of inconel supposed to be bullet proof
Attached Thumbnails Turbo build 2009 tsx k24z3-supertech-valve.jpg  
Snorlax (09-17-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 05:40 PM
ROTAREDOM

Won't the thickness on that taper cause less flow? Just thinking about that angle. Or does the new spring adjust for that?
Old 08-30-2013, 06:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ssjoeboe9
Won't the thickness on that taper cause less flow? Just thinking about that angle. Or does the new spring adjust for that?
They say less than 5% but that is what is needed to hold up to high boost and rpm' a turbo engine has tons of restriction on the exhaust side compared to a NA engine
Old 08-31-2013, 08:55 AM
ROTAREDOM

Gotcha! Yeah understandable, you don't want a valve to shear at like 6000rpm. That would be no bueno
Old 09-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im so interested in this right now lol, been following this for a while, im actually trying to do mine right now but just piecing things together, just curious, how did you do the turbo adapter? i have a borgwarner turbo right now but not sure how it would work, if its not hard to make the adapter, could you give me a list of material i would need?
Old 09-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sano817
im so interested in this right now lol, been following this for a while, im actually trying to do mine right now but just piecing things together, just curious, how did you do the turbo adapter? i have a borgwarner turbo right now but not sure how it would work, if its not hard to make the adapter, could you give me a list of material i would need?
The manifold I make is for a internally waste gated turbo only with a t3 flange, what turbo do you have ??
Old 09-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Be wary of the install. This is not as cost effective as doing my old accord turbo kit... that was like... 3200... this is way more than that....
Old 09-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Burning Brakes

MAP sensor

Hondata has a 4bar map sensor for us now

http://www.hondata.com/4barmap.html
Old 09-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Burning Brakes

^^ That's is one of the parts I'm getting from my parts vendor.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Burning Brakes

So, just bought an mfactory LSD unit. Getting close to going live with all of this. Hopefully in a month or two we'll have concrete proof one way or another that the diff will work.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Intermediate

i believe it is a borgwarner 3lm, but i think i would need an external wg
Old 09-05-2013, 05:02 PM
Burning Brakes

i believe it is a borgwarner 3lm, but i think i would need an external wg
It's really tough to build a manifold with external waste gate, that's why I went internal waste gate, the EFR series is just as good as the external waste gate but it is not cheap but it's a ball bearing bad MOFO, about $2,000.00 for turbo alone
Old 09-06-2013, 07:12 AM
Burning Brakes

I've gotten the EFR that Utah suggests. Everything is in the one unit, I think it makes for a much cleaner engine bay.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:20 PM
tsxmichael

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
UTAH TSX you car is automatic?
Old 09-06-2013, 11:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by icymichael
UTAH TSX you car is automatic?
It is automatic had some shifting issues with it in drive but paddle shiftor worked normal but I figured it out with the help of Hondata they have great customer service
Hondata wrote:
You need to enable the AFM in order for the AT computer to work correctly (and it should be in the intake pipe and reading the air flow). You can have both the AFM and 'Use MAP Fuel Tables' enabled at the same time, and it will use the correct MAP fuel tables.

Also the AT computer will not read the manifold pressure correctly with a 4 bar MAP sensor. If you are below 14 lbs boost then use the stock MAP sensor.

No need to use the AFM with manual transmissions
icymichael (09-08-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Intermediate

yea i wanted to get the efr turbo first but i ended up getting the one i have because friend sold it to me cheap, it was new and he just didnt need it, i do want the efr turbo but like u said its hella expensive, i dont know how else i can do it, its gonna be an exciting build i can already tell lol, i guess if i really needed to i will get the turbo i want but for now im gonna try with what i have, any advice?? lol i havent done anything, only have my turbo, feed lines and bov, all i have done to my tsx performance side so far is takeda cai, and ct short shifter
Old 09-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Burning Brakes

yea i wanted to get the efr turbo first but i ended up getting the one i have because friend sold it to me cheap, it was new and he just didnt need it, i do want the efr turbo but like u said its hella expensive, i dont know how else i can do it, its gonna be an exciting build i can already tell lol, i guess if i really needed to i will get the turbo i want but for now im gonna try with what i have, any advice?? lol i havent done anything, only have my turbo, feed lines and bov, all i have done to my tsx performance side so far is takeda cai, and ct short shifter
Start gathering parts - Flashpro from Hondata - fuel pump - injectors - intercooler - wastegate - boost controller and or gauge - pipes - flanges - Etc
sano817 (09-07-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 11:45 PM
Intermediate

thats actually what i plan on doing, im gonna get the flashpro next, then prob my exhaust, the start piecing it together, i do have a question, does the intake manifold for the 8th gen work for our cars? or do you have to do some custom fitment? thinking about purchasing one
Old 09-09-2013, 09:24 AM
Burning Brakes

I would urge you to read this entire thread first, instead of asking questions that have already been covered.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Intermediate

well i actually did read the thread, i saw pics but it never said anything about a perfect fitment, and i like to have a confirmation about something before i decide to do it that way i dont waste money, is that bad? so i apologize if i am asking a question that has been answered, i just didn't see it
Old 09-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Intermediate

it was just a yes or no question
Old 09-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Burning Brakes

The answer is no.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-performance-parts-modifications-299/aftermarket-intake-manifolds-available-886578/

It requires a PRL manifold adapter.

I am not trying to be difficult. I am actively updating this thread with everything that I have experienced purchasing parts for my kit, same as Utah has.
sano817 (09-10-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
looks good
Old 09-14-2013, 01:05 AM
Intermediate

The answer is no.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886578

It requires a PRL manifold adapter.

I am not trying to be difficult. I am actively updating this thread with everything that I have experienced purchasing parts for my kit, same as Utah has.
thank you sir, this helped out alot =)
Old 09-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Cruisin'

Ok, a noob here...

First of all:

Utah--kudos to you for starting this project (no offense to others who may have too, earlier), however, your attention to detail, frequent updates, photos/videos, parts suggestions, time, etc., are unmatched. I've read the entire thread and your work was captivating, to say the least...could not stop if I wanted to.

It was heartbreaking to see the smoke from the exhaust, in your video, however, your dedication and determination to get to your XXX whp goal is inspiring to most, if not, all TSX followers.

Second of all:

Optimus--congrats on standing alongside Utah and working on your project. I'm optimistic it will put smile on your face when installed.

Third of all:

I just purchased a 2012 TSX TECH AT and was very excited, reading this thread, what options I have to turbo my car. Reading in, I realized that I can't do this now, as Hondata does not provide FlashPro for 2011+ TSX. Am I correct? So, I'll try and follow the updates as they become available.

P.S. As I read from Hondata's 09-10 TSX tune, they suggested to set the VCT to 45 degrees, instead of what you have gone to 50 degrees (I think)...my
Old 09-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Cruisin'

Oh, and UTAH...

I see you are local...Where did you Dyno your car?
Old 09-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Fuel injector clinic box just showed up. Very cool.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:48 PM
Burning Brakes

When are you going to start installing your mountain of goodies optimus ?????
I got my stuff back from the machine shop, just need to save up a little money for ACL race bearings and I will put my engine together, I have the cylinder head all ready to go and all the other parts and gaskets I need. just need bearings
Old 09-17-2013, 11:59 AM
Cruisin'

^_^ +1 on Optimus goodies...

Quick Reply: Turbo build 2009 tsx k24z3