RV6 I4 PCD/Downpipe for the K24Z3 08+ Accord and 09+ TSX

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 06:09 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by YZ450
This is a great product awesome power gain for the money; unfortunately it's not for me!

I installed mine about 3 weeks ago but this weekend is coming off and will be up for sell for $200.00. I'll only sell locally in the Orlando FL area.

I love the power gain but cannot live with the raspy sound between 2 / 3 k RPMs. BTW - this is with 2nd cat.

If interested please send PM.
I have that same raspy shit. Don't like it at all! Guess we'll see what happens when I install the rest of the exhaust.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:19 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
Can someone post a video of the rasp so I can grasp the extent of the noise and gasp in surprise.
The following users liked this post:
ed_423 (08-13-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 11:11 AM
TSX 6MT 11 / MDX Tech 14

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Asian Candy
I have that same raspy shit. Don't like it at all! Guess we'll see what happens when I install the rest of the exhaust.
Yes, it's kind of annoying!

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
Can someone post a video of the rasp so I can grasp the extent of the noise and gasp in surprise.
Unfortunately, I took mine off this past Saturday. I'm keeping it in the garage for now until I've the time to find a solution to get rid of the raspy sound.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by thunderbt3
From the service manual:

Nuts to attach PCD to engine head - 23 ft-lb
Nuts to attach PCD to 2nd cat - 25 ft-lb
Nuts to attach PCD to HF cat/test pipe - 30 ft-lb
Nuts to attach 2nd cat to rest of exhaust - 25 ft-lb
Nuts to attach HF cat/test pipe to rest of exhaust- 30 ft-lb
O2 sensors - 33 ft-lb
Nuts to attach strut bar - 16 ft-lb

I forgot to put in there to reuse the rubber exhaust hanger and make sure its in place before lowering the car. If you have trouble pulling it off the precat or putting it on the PCD, use a little bit of WD40 and it will slide right off.
Thanks!
Old 08-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
thanks alot!

also, did anyone else experience this phenomenon of the car raising up a significant amount after the PCD install? i was going to adjust the height on my coilovers today but i guess not (?)

and can this be installed easily on jack stands/jacks or should i schedule some lift time in a garage?

Last edited by KillerG; 08-13-2012 at 11:39 AM.
spdandpwr (08-13-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Talking

Originally Posted by KillerG
thanks alot!

also, did anyone else experience this phenomenon of the car raising up a significant amount after the PCD install? i was going to adjust the height on my coilovers today but i guess not (?)

and can this be installed easily on jack stands/jacks or should i schedule some lift time in a garage?
Oh, shit. Man I was just joking about that because the stock downpipe is so f'in heavy.
Lol. Sorry.
I'm a fairly big guy, so it was kinda cramped under the car, but jack stands are fine.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Drifting

^killer has a terrible sense of humor...lol, I totally picked up on your facetiousness...i think dental school will do that to you
Old 08-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Instructor

OK, before I go and put this on, how bad is the rasp?
Old 08-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Instructor

To me, it's loud. Windows up, ac on, and radio on, I can hear it clearly. At least is short, only between 2,000 rpm and 3,000 rpm. But only when driving. If I'm stopped and rev the engine it doesn't happen. I pray when I install the rest of the exhaust it goes away. Was planning to replace the stock resonator, but now maybe I'll just add a second one.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:53 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
Video of rasp please Guys!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:06 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
yes +2 on ed's request. video of the rasp.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Instructor

How do I upload a video I took on my ipone? I'm trying to upload from my pc, but it keeps saying there is an error
Old 08-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 205 Posts
^post it on youtube and then copy the link
Asian Candy (08-13-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Thumbs down

Hope this works. This was on my ipone so ignore the quality. I have the downpipe and the HFC installed. I also have the CT icebox, which I can't even hear any more.

YZ, I see you have a 2011. I have a 2012. I wonder if this has something to do with the later models?

In a few weeks, after I lower the car, I have a custom exhaust getting installed. This was planned before the downpipe, and my goal was to create as much of an aggressively deep tone as possible. This rasp kinda throws a wrench into that plan.

Instead of just replacing the stock resonator, I'm thinking of adding a second resonator along with the stock resonator. But the rasp is coming from either the downpipe or the exhaust manifold. So I'm not sure another resonator will make any differnce since the rasp is before the resonator.

Very dissapointed!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 491 Likes on 233 Posts

Hope this works. This was on my ipone so ignore the quality. I have the downpipe and the HFC installed. I also have the CT icebox, which I can't even hear any more.

YZ, I see you have a 2011. I have a 2012. I wonder if this has something to do with the later models?

In a few weeks, after I lower the car, I have a custom exhaust getting installed. This was planned before the downpipe, and my goal was to create as much of an aggressively deep tone as possible. This rasp kinda throws a wrench into that plan.

Instead of just replacing the stock resonator, I'm thinking of adding a second resonator along with the stock resonator. But the rasp is coming from either the downpipe or the exhaust manifold. So I'm not sure another resonator will make any differnce since the rasp is before the resonator.

Very dissapointed!

Getting some rasp is very common with modifications that deal with freeing up the exhaust. This PCD/Downpipe is equivalent to a header and makes power by freeing up the exhaust. It is pretty much common knowledge that headers and cat deletes will cause some rasp. In the case of the TSX it really isn't that bad there is light rasp during 1krpm window. If you are unhappy with the rasp you can add a resonator. This is pretty much common knowledge resonators convert rasp into a sexy deep tone if done properly.

Believing any type of header modification will give you a deep sound is just foolish. We aren't talking about small gains and huge trade offs. The PCD alone makes ~10% HP gains over stock.
JCharged (09-26-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 10:21 PM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
lol @ leaf blower noise
Old 08-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Drifting

the audible "metallic" sound is due to the cylinder head's "integrated manifold" design, coupled with a high flow downpipe. That's also the reason the stock cat is SO restrictive, it bottlenecks the sound, and the flow. A resonator like the ones from vibrant should deepen the tone...I suggest vibrant's 18" resonators which will weld neatly to the factory exhaust
Old 08-13-2012, 10:59 PM
Drifting

P.s. the factor exhaust sounds like a quieter version of that noise...if you actually put decent vibrant mufflers and a better resonator, you won't get that shitty noise...case in point, my civic Si was catless, but with some proper resonators and a catback it sounds nice:

Old 08-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Drifting

and notice how a downpipe on the civic si exhaust sounds different...

it's all about how you combine resonators and mufflers to alter the exhaust flow / tone
Old 08-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 491 Likes on 233 Posts
Rear mounted camera from our test car. Its aggressive with a slight hit rasp. Definitely not in the fart can civic category.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:53 PM
Instructor

Still going to install this. Factory 2nd cat and don't mind some noise. Where do you jack the front from with a floor jack? Looking for central point to raise front so that I can put jack stands under front. Also in back, good point to put floor jack? Thanks
Old 08-13-2012, 11:55 PM
Op is too busy to care

ugh. normally i wait a long time and im never an early adopter but speeddanpower gave me a price i couldnt refuse on his pipe

I have an intake (SRI) and a pair of magnaflow mufflers, so my exhaust setup is already loud enough. I will be the hero this city needs and install this downpipe soon, and i am also going to order a resonator beforehand so i can have it installed it shortly after.

Can anyone recommend the vibrant or magnaflow res, or rather provide a reason why i should get one over the other, and can anyone suggest where to install the resonator ?

RV6 I4 PCD/Downpipe for the K24Z3 08+ Accord and 09+ TSX-lvq1g.jpg
Old 08-13-2012, 11:57 PM
Op is too busy to care

RV6 I4 PCD/Downpipe for the K24Z3 08+ Accord and 09+ TSX-wkmls.png
The following 2 users liked this post by KillerG:
ed_423 (08-14-2012), VortexBlueTSX (09-01-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Op is too busy to care

ugh. normally i wait a long time and im never an early adopter but speeddanpower gave me a price i couldnt refuse on his pipe
lol,
Old 08-14-2012, 06:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Richie v6
Getting some rasp is very common with modifications that deal with freeing up the exhaust. This PCD/Downpipe is equivalent to a header and makes power by freeing up the exhaust. It is pretty much common knowledge that headers and cat deletes will cause some rasp. In the case of the TSX it really isn't that bad there is light rasp during 1krpm window. If you are unhappy with the rasp you can add a resonator. This is pretty much common knowledge resonators convert rasp into a sexy deep tone if done properly.

Believing any type of header modification will give you a deep sound is just foolish. We aren't talking about small gains and huge trade offs. The PCD alone makes ~10% HP gains over stock.
When YZ first mentioned the rasp, you said it ISN'T normal. I didn't foolishly expect the downpipe to give me a deep tone... I know that's the exhaust's job. But I didn't expect this either.
But if those with experience believe a resonator will help, then that's good enough for me.
Question is, do I add the resonator before or after the stock resonator? Or just replace stock resonator all together? Also, magnaflow resonator I bought is 14". Should I get an 18" instead? I want to eliminate the rasp as much as possible without overly quieting the exhaust itself.... If that makes sense.

@killerG, I have a magnaflow setup going in, also. Same as what Jeroplex had installed So would love feedback or video of what it sounds like after you install the downpipe

@SpdandPwr: I'm not familiar with vibrant, but are their exhsusts noticeably deeper than magnaflow?

On a positive note.... The performance gains are very noticeable! Throttle response is greatly improved and the car pulls ALOT harder!! And the rasp isn't noticeable when cruising in that 2000-3000 rpm range. Only when accelerating.

If the new exhaust can clean things up, then I'll be extremely happy.

KillerG, please keep me posted on yours.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:55 AM
TSX 6MT 11 / MDX Tech 14

Just a thought!
Can a 12” resonator be installed to the PCD itself where the first cat was? I’m just wondering as I don’t want to mess with the stock exhaust system and my intention was never going custom. I just wanted better response from the car.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:33 AM
Drifting

When YZ first mentioned the rasp, you said it ISN'T normal. I didn't foolishly expect the downpipe to give me a deep tone... I know that's the exhaust's job. But I didn't expect this either.
But if those with experience believe a resonator will help, then that's good enough for me.
Question is, do I add the resonator before or after the stock resonator? Or just replace stock resonator all together? Also, magnaflow resonator I bought is 14". Should I get an 18" instead? I want to eliminate the rasp as much as possible without overly quieting the exhaust itself.... If that makes sense.

@killerG, I have a magnaflow setup going in, also. Same as what Jeroplex had installed So would love feedback or video of what it sounds like after you install the downpipe

@SpdandPwr: I'm not familiar with vibrant, but are their exhsusts noticeably deeper than magnaflow?

On a positive note.... The performance gains are very noticeable! Throttle response is greatly improved and the car pulls ALOT harder!! And the rasp isn't noticeable when cruising in that 2000-3000 rpm range. Only when accelerating.

If the new exhaust can clean things up, then I'll be extremely happy.

KillerG, please keep me posted on yours.
both magnaflow and vibrant employ the same design, so you shouldn't worry from that standpoint. The length, though, is pretty important as it determines which frequencies get phased out -- building exhausts is actually a science and not an arbitrary exercise of slapping together pipes (that's why those high-end exhausts are so expensive, especially for german cars). I do know that a longer resonator will do more in terms of silencing the tone and deepening the exhaust, but it could also add drone. However, since you're running the stock mufflers (and will run the stock resonator in tandem), you probably won't hear drone. So, net-net run the longer resonator.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:35 AM
Drifting

Just a thought!
Can a 12” resonator be installed to the PCD itself where the first cat was? I’m just wondering as I don’t want to mess with the stock exhaust system and my intention was never going custom. I just wanted better response from the car.
I didn't install the pcd, so do you know if it will fit (the resonators are pretty wide) without rubbing against the firewall or the engine? Honestly, who's going to know that you added a resonator to the stock exhaust? A good shop won't hack it up.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:37 AM
Drifting

lol,
free and easy
Old 08-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Instructor

both magnaflow and vibrant employ the same design, so you shouldn't worry from that standpoint. The length, though, is pretty important as it determines which frequencies get phased out -- building exhausts is actually a science and not an arbitrary exercise of slapping together pipes (that's why those high-end exhausts are so expensive, especially for german cars). I do know that a longer resonator will do more in terms of silencing the tone and deepening the exhaust, but it could also add drone. However, since you're running the stock mufflers (and will run the stock resonator in tandem), you probably won't hear drone. So, net-net run the longer resonator.

I'm going to be running magnaflow mufflers as well. Not the stock mufflers. The guy installing it all is extremely well respected by every other exhaust installer in the city, so I'm confident he'll do a great job, but I'm open to all opinions, so what do you think would best accomplish: lessening or eliminating the rasp, while minimizing drone and maximizing the deep tone. Adding 14" resonator to stock resonator. Adding 18" to stock resonator. Or replacing stock resonator with an 18"?
Old 08-14-2012, 08:18 AM
TSX 6MT 11 / MDX Tech 14

I didn't install the pcd, so do you know if it will fit (the resonators are pretty wide) without rubbing against the firewall or the engine? Honestly, who's going to know that you added a resonator to the stock exhaust? A good shop won't hack it up.
Thank for your input , but my question was more regarding funtionality. For fitment I guess it won't be too difficult as the primary cat was already there.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Drifting

I'm going to be running magnaflow mufflers as well. Not the stock mufflers. The guy installing it all is extremely well respected by every other exhaust installer in the city, so I'm confident he'll do a great job, but I'm open to all opinions, so what do you think would best accomplish: lessening or eliminating the rasp, while minimizing drone and maximizing the deep tone. Adding 14" resonator to stock resonator. Adding 18" to stock resonator. Or replacing stock resonator with an 18"?
I'm not sure how the stock resonator works in terms of which frequencies it cancels out. If you want volume, then eliminate the stock resonator, if not, use that in tandem with another resonator...typically an aftermarket resonator lowers exhaust volume by 3-5 db.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:21 AM
Drifting

Thank for your input , but my question was more regarding funtionality. For fitment I guess it won't be too difficult as the primary cat was already there.
it shouldn't, aftermarket resonators are hollow...at least the ones suggested in this thread.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:26 AM
Drifting

oh, and there probably won't be much of a difference between the magnaflow and the vibrant, just go with what's cheaper.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:35 AM
Instructor

I'm not sure how the stock resonator works in terms of which frequencies it cancels out. If you want volume, then eliminate the stock resonator, if not, use that in tandem with another resonator...typically an aftermarket resonator lowers exhaust volume by 3-5 db.
Volume aside, which setup do you think would lessen drone and more importantly, lessen the rasp?

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Drifting

Get the longer resonator (not sure if the 18" will fit).

Sorry I didn't mention this before, but: there are two types of resonators, a louvered core and a perforated core (from what I know, the Magnaflow and Vibrant are both perforated). The louvered cores have little hooks that cancel the frequencies. The perforated cores are just holes in the sides. Needless to say the louvered cores reduce flow (by about 5%, I'm told), but they make the exhaust slightly(!) quieter. Longer resonators have a greater effect, cause there's more space to cancel the frequencies. The sound change does not vary much between brands of resonators. The sound difference comes with the length of the resonator and or the number of resonators you use! The longer the resonator, the more effective it is!
YZ450 (08-14-2012)
Old 08-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Instructor

Get the longer resonator (not sure if the 18" will fit).

Sorry I didn't mention this before, but: there are two types of resonators, a louvered core and a perforated core (from what I know, the Magnaflow and Vibrant are both perforated). The louvered cores have little hooks that cancel the frequencies. The perforated cores are just holes in the sides. Needless to say the louvered cores reduce flow (by about 5%, I'm told), but they make the exhaust slightly(!) quieter. Longer resonators have a greater effect, cause there's more space to cancel the frequencies. The sound change does not vary much between brands of resonators. The sound difference comes with the length of the resonator and or the number of resonators you use! The longer the resonator, the more effective it is!
Thanks man! You seem to really know your shit.

Quieter I'm not overly concerned about. It's the sound frequency that I want to accomplish. Especially the rasp. I know it's impossible to eliminate all high frequencies, but my goal is deep tone and nothing else. Being loud takes a backseat.
I think I'll try just replacing the stock resonator with the 18" magnaflow since, to me, the stock resonator doesn't seem all that great. I'll see how that works and add a second magnaflow if needed.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Drifting

Keep us posted!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Instructor

Definately.

It will be a few weeks until I install it. My exhaust guy said to lower it first, which I'll do this weekend, if my Coilovers arrive in time.

Hopefully KillerG will have his downpipe installed and give some feedback on the sound since I believe he has the same exhaust setups as I'm putting in
Old 08-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Drifting

Really? I'm not sure those mufflers will sound great with the downpipe. They sound really soft. I would go on the TL forums and see what they did to handle rasp, etc.

Quick Reply: RV6 I4 PCD/Downpipe for the K24Z3 08+ Accord and 09+ TSX