Re-upholster TSX 2010 with leather seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re-upholster TSX 2010 with leather seats

Hi folks,

Sorry I don't know if I'm posting at the correct location but it seems to be the more appropriate. Although it's not a performance upgrade, it is a modification.

I have a 2010 TSX base 2.4 silver and it came with cloth seats. Honestly, I hate this interiour material,specially what on the door handle. I find it very easy to look dirtly and I think in time, will look scuffy... For instance, that inside door area gets whiteish and being it's all black, it really looks dirty and scuffy and no matter how I clean it or try to keep it clean, it just seems impossible.

Anyhow, I'm thinking of re-upholstering the car with black leather. I went to a local shop here who advertises to specialize on this and in fact, the only one I can seem to find in the Montreal area. They quoted me 1900.00 cdn including a section of the seat with leather perforation.

I thought I'd post and ask opinion if this cost seems high, worth it or if anyone in the area that may know another that would do a similar and hopefully a quality job. I'm thinking of dropping by an Acura dealer here and see if they can do the job at a competitive pricing.

Thank You.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i think we have more US members than Canada, tho i could be wrong.

in the US we don't have the base model, all tsx come standard with leather and hids

but if you are going to reupholster your car, try other material if its in your budget
Old 10-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
i think your best bet would actually be to source a salvaged/totalled TSX premium/tech and pull the black leather seats out, this would also possibly give you power/memory seats with a few more pieces as i assume you don't have that either, and possibly heated seats?
Old 10-10-2012, 02:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 109 Posts
This is why I hate grammer. When it says "performance parts and modifications" I think what "whomever created this subsection" wanted us to read was "performance parts and performance modifications" though I could be wrong. Anyways, I do don't know what's a good price for this but 2k sounds pretty expensive. On another note I don't understand why'd you pick up the car when you feel uncomfortable inside it. I originally wanted a Camaro but after testing it out I found it uncomfortable to drive with such a small windshield. It's literally half the size of the TSX's WS. On another note I 100% agree with Pyro with finding a TSX in the junk yard and pulling all it's seats out. lol GL
Old 10-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
that sounds pretty reasonable to do your entire interior.
custom work isnt cheap.

like pyrodave said, you might have better luck at the junk yard getting used seats.

maybe even seat covers made of real leather?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
the plus side of oem seats is they will have the additional functions built in, i know the US version our base seats have power, memory, and seat warmers, along with driver side having manual lumber
Old 10-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If 1900.00 is for the whole interior, including the door cards then it's a reasonable price. I replaced the cloth seat covers with leather on my '03 jetta a few years ago. I ordered them from leatherseats.com. It was alot of work especially to get the seats looking good with no wrinkles. The door cards would require stripping the cloth off and using glue to put on the leather. All in all my wife and I did the whole car in about 15 hrs over two days. Granted a professional would have been much quicker, I would still expect about 8 hrs.

If you have heated seats, expect to need to replace the heating elements, they will get damaged when removing the covers.

I'm glad I did it though because I could order custom leather (I went with red double stitching), that is much better quality compaired to VW oem for about 900.00 USD.

Replacing the seats with oem will be the easy option, however research the cost of the whole interior. You aren't going to be happy with leather fronts and cloth back seats. Also be sure your car has the wiring for the power seats etc if you go with oem. Get them from a reputable source too, aside from not wanting to get stolen parts you want to make sure the airbags and active head rests will work when you need them.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for responding. To answer BaoZZer, I've always had cloth seats on my previous cars until recently, my wife and my daily driver (Acura CSX) has leather seat and simply liking it. I also think this particular cloth Acura uses for this base TSX is something that I didn't anticipate I would begin to hate. It wasn't that way when I first bought the car but as time went by (two years now), I began to notice how easily it gets dirty.... visualize a black cloth and you sprinkle flour and then try to wipe it out... you'll get most of it out but you'll have the white specs that sort of gets buried in the cloth. Anyhow, at the time I purchased the car, I believe the dealer told me that I need to go up to the next level to get leather but that comes with automatic tranny and I wanted a manual transmission.

The car has power and heated seats. The only option that is missing is memory seats which does not bother me as I'm the only person who drives this car.

The quote includes the door cards and inside handle. They told me that they don't have a template for this car so it'll cost more. I believe I checked around the Internet and have not yet found one that I can order and install myself. Will also check junk yards and see if something turns up.