newish owner of a 2010 acura tsx 2.4 L

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
newish owner of a 2010 acura tsx 2.4 L

about 2 months ago, i decided to buy a 2010 tsx 2.4L, i got it as a demo so it was a pretty good price and was sold as new with 5400 miles, about 5,000 miles later im somewhat questioning my purchase, and i know i cant trade it in since i still owe a bit of money on the car, and its not worth trading in to lose more money on it, but mostly i drive this thing probably harder then i should, ive been running it stock basically 70-90 mph on my highway commutes which are about 70 miles round trip. sometimes i end up going 100+, yesterday i hit 115. obviously this car is not made to go speeds like that without some sort of modifications let alone the v4 version. so im looking to see what i can do with this car to make it perform better, i dont know much about cars and i probably wont have too much money to spend but im willing to listen to what suggestions you have. oh and by the way even with my driving habits i average 28.4 mpg. but 90% of my daily commute is highway. also would be interested in body kits.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:32 AM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
Looks like you need the CT-E Supercharger, buddy.

That's probably one of the only engine upgrade that you'll notice a difference in performance. There's cold air intakes, but those won't really help performance, just sound. You can also just get a whole bunch of small things like cold air intakes, intake manifold gasket, pulleys, etc. and see if all those together will improve the driving experience for you.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Advanced

yeah the supercharger is like 4k, dont really have money to go and do something like that. plus i dont know enough about cars to do it. i really want to do something to it, even sound would be nice but i couldnt install it myself and i dont know where i could go to have it done. oh and i drive automatic so i probably will stick to stock for awhile.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
i think the best purchase for you....would be a lawyer on retainer.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by live2hit01
i think the best purchase for you....would be a lawyer on retainer.
haha, im not that dangerous, only 1 accident and 1 speeding ticket and the accident wasnt at a fast speed at all and not in my tsx. the speeding ticket also was not in this car suprisingly. i live in chicago on the highway its 55 but the normal is like 70-80 sometimes 90. and when theres actual open space i like to drive 100+, i considered trading my tsx for a genesis coupe 3.8 but it didnt end up happening cause i didnt wanna waste 6.5k on the trade.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts
spend $200 on a helmet.

are you using the paddle shifters?
Old 06-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by defconskylude
spend $200 on a helmet.

are you using the paddle shifters?
i actually hate paddle shifters, so i do not use them if it had a shift gate, which for a car of this price i think should, i probably would have used it. and i usually have it in drive but whenever i want more fun i just throw it down to whatever the S is, its basically sport but they have some fancy name for it. oh and ive also become one of the long list of people who has had a broken foglight on this car. but mine is only cracked its still intact and functional so i havent brought myself to spend 350$ to have it fixed.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by kazelement
i actually hate paddle shifters, so i do not use them if it had a shift gate, which for a car of this price i think should, i probably would have used it. and i usually have it in drive but whenever i want more fun i just throw it down to whatever the S is, its basically sport but they have some fancy name for it. oh and ive also become one of the long list of people who has had a broken foglight on this car. but mine is only cracked its still intact and functional so i havent brought myself to spend 350$ to have it fixed.
yea i use S mode a lot with the paddle shifters to manually control the RPMs. its sequential sport shifting.

so you just put it in S mode without using the paddles? hmmm id have to try that one.

try using the paddle shifters for 2 weeks. i hated it at first but i wanted to go faster and just got used to it. im at 24 mpg but its mostly city driving.

go to home depot or lowes, buy some lexan plexiglass. its like $8-$12. using a cardboard and sharpie, cut out the shape of your foglight glass. use this template on the plexigass and use a dremel to cut out the exact shape. then use some construction or marine adhesive silicone glue to bind them. of course you will have to break the cracked fog light glass. so try this first before you spend $350

Last edited by defconskylude; 06-08-2011 at 10:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kazelement (06-08-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by defconskylude
yea i use S mode a lot with the paddle shifters to manually control the RPMs. its sequential sport shifting.

so you just put it in S mode without using the paddles? hmmm id have to try that one.

try using the paddle shifters for 2 weeks. i hated it at first but i wanted to go faster and just got used to it. im at 24 mpg but its mostly city driving.

go to home depot or lowes, buy some lexan plexiglass. its like $8-$12. using a cardboard and sharpie, cut out the shape of your foglight glass. use this template on the plexigass and use a dremel to cut out the exact shape. then use some construction or marine adhesive silicone glue to bind them. of course you will have to break the cracked fog light glass. so try this first before you spend $350
if you really want to you can use the paddle shifters in Drive, i learned this from reading the manual, in S it will just let you have more power, ive never really used them because i cant drive stick so i dont know how to shift and im scared to mess up the car, but ive gotten my car to red line in Drive just slammed the pedal to the floor but luckily once it hit red line and shot back down but yeah it was kinda scary, thanks for the advice on the light ill probably leave it for awhile also if you use the paddle shifters in drive you can like use the paddle shifters but go back to automatic whenever you want, i forgot how but i know when your in S once you hit he paddles then your stuck in paddles unless you switch back to drive, but you can def drive S mode without paddles just your RPM's will be insanely high and you'll use a lot of gas.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Drifting

ill try the paddles on drive.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Advanced

yeah, i tried the paddles in both modes, but since i kinda dont know anything about shifting the car kinda felt shaky, but i know its not the car cause i had someone drive it yesterday with paddles and they said it was fine but they drove it in S
Old 06-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
So do you want to mod or stay stock? And if you do all the basics like Intake, downpipe w/ cat delete, ported runners, and tbs you could easily add 15-20hp. Yeah the sound might improve some but honestly that is the last thing I care about, so long as it doesn't sound like a weed-wacking piece of shit.

Personally, I refuse to do any mods that offer no gain or performance related enhancements outside of oem body kits. The fad with headlights just gets me on my soap box so I won't even start.

Anywho! For the basics you are looking at around a grand to get most of what you might need to help your engine breathe easier and respond better. The stock exhaust is debatable. I say downpipe w/cat delete but don't bother replacing the whole thing. Won't do a damn thing for ya. And eventually when you get the cash together you'll be all set up to add the supercharger, especially if you get the CT-E Icebox.

Good luck. Drive safe and don't kill anyone. You aren't the only one out there on the roads.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tannis
So do you want to mod or stay stock? And if you do all the basics like Intake, downpipe w/ cat delete, ported runners, and tbs you could easily add 15-20hp. Yeah the sound might improve some but honestly that is the last thing I care about, so long as it doesn't sound like a weed-wacking piece of shit.

Personally, I refuse to do any mods that offer no gain or performance related enhancements outside of oem body kits. The fad with headlights just gets me on my soap box so I won't even start.

Anywho! For the basics you are looking at around a grand to get most of what you might need to help your engine breathe easier and respond better. The stock exhaust is debatable. I say downpipe w/cat delete but don't bother replacing the whole thing. Won't do a damn thing for ya. And eventually when you get the cash together you'll be all set up to add the supercharger, especially if you get the CT-E Icebox.

Good luck. Drive safe and don't kill anyone. You aren't the only one out there on the roads.
i would really like to mod but i dont really know much about it, i would probably go about changing the exhaust, the oem body kit just kinda looks odd to me, so if i ever went for a body kit i would have to find a decent aftermarket one, i just dont know how to install most of these things, and i dont know any decent shops around me. but that ct-e supercharger and ct-e icebox sounds pretty awesome probably wait till i have the car paid off till i drop 4500 on that. and i know for sure i need to get this electronic limiter off supposidly you cant go over 120 on the car with it but im not sure if thats true
Old 06-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Racer

and i know for sure i need to get this electronic limiter off supposidly you cant go over 120 on the car with it but im not sure if thats true
I really don't know jack about limiters but I know there are tons of TSX videos on Youtube of those guys doing 140. You really need to find a shop first and then consider modding, especially if you aren't going to do it youself.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:46 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
looks like you got a lot to learn buddy, and you are at a good site for that

patient is the main thing here. you dont have much to spend, so you are just going to have to get one thing at a time. speaking from experience, the modding process is going to be slow and painful, but wheres the fun if you mod it all at once?

here's a list in no particular order:

intake
downpipe
pulley
gasket
tb spacer
ported runner
fuel rail

super charger.

there could be more that i cant think of right now,but stick around the forum, check out the performance section, you will learn a lot
Old 06-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ ed_423 is totally correct. sounds like you just need to continue with your research and experience, and have patience. sounds like you want to go faster..faster! like most of us.
i ll share with you my experience with a i4 200hp honda engine:
CAI! many will flame me for this but when i had my 05 rsx-s i installed an injen cai(cold air intake) on it, got drunk that night after doing it(was much younger!). forgot i installed it the next day and when i drove it hard the day after when i hit vtec i could literally feel the push in power that i had never felt stock. it was so noticable that i felt it i was still numb and hungover and i could still feel more power.
installing cai is easy just takes a couple hours for a beginner, thats how you learn is by just getting into it and doing it, dont be afraid u wont mess up anything.
also running an expensive synthetic oil like royal purple will get you about 3hp(this is fact) and also a smoother acceleration. i used to use mobile 1 in my i4 2.0ltr and it was ok but it was horrible on evaporation, spend a little more on royal prple, u wont have to change the oil as often and you will feel gains and be happy with your expencive oil haha
i never changed the exhaust because honda is pretty damn good when it comes to exhaust.
other things you can do on the heavy tsx would be weight reduction if you dont mind.
remove all engine plastic covers(15lbs?), spare tire(bad idea IMO), and anything else.
i once did a crappy diagnostic and found that basically(in an i4) for every 100lbs you "loose" ABOUT 5hp. so if 5/100=20, if u loose 20lbs u free up 1hp

Last edited by russel082581; 06-08-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Advanced

thanks for your input, i probably wont do much to try to lighten the car cause the car already doesnt feel stable when i go like 100+ yeah i know for sure i want to put a cai, and a exhaust, i get free oil changes from my acura dealership so whatever synthetic they use is what i get. i just hope the way i drive my acura, it actually holds up and doesnt break down or something.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
sometimes i end up going 100+, yesterday i hit 115. obviously this car is not made to go speeds like that without some sort of modifications let alone the v4 version. .

I didn't know there was a v4 engine option, do you have any specs on it? thanks
Old 06-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by komplexZ
I didn't know there was a v4 engine option, do you have any specs on it? thanks
  • Base engine size: 2.4 L
  • Cam type: Double overhead cam (DOHC)
  • Cylinders: inline 4
  • Valves: 16
  • Valve timing: Variable
  • Torque: 170 ft-lbs. @ 4300 rpm
  • Horsepower: 201 hp @ 7000 rpm
Old 06-09-2011, 02:41 AM
SeeYou2Crew #2

• Base engine size: 2.4 L
  • Cam type: Double overhead cam (DOHC)
  • Cylinders: inline 4
  • Valves: 16
  • Valve timing: Variable
  • Torque: 170 ft-lbs. @ 4300 rpm
  • Horsepower: 201 hp @ 7000 rpm
haha he is saying there is not "v4" only "v6" and "v8" and etc. 4 cylinder is referred to as "i4" or inline 4
Old 06-09-2011, 02:41 AM
SeeYou2Crew #2

thanks for your input, i probably wont do much to try to lighten the car cause the car already doesnt feel stable when i go like 100+ yeah i know for sure i want to put a cai, and a exhaust, i get free oil changes from my acura dealership so whatever synthetic they use is what i get. i just hope the way i drive my acura, it actually holds up and doesnt break down or something.
dont worry your car should hold up fine with your "abuse"
Old 06-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Advanced

good to know it wont break down, i actually had a friend of mine who has a mitsubishi evo, he told me i should consider putting a turbo in it rather then a supercharger.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Racer

@Ed... "but where's the fun if you mod it all at once?"

I've been stuck in the middle east for half a year now. Trust me when I say I have ALL my hardware waiting for me. Sometimes waiting sucks so fuck it, I'm modding it all the day I get home.

Back to the OP...

I saw in another thread someone else already tried a turbo and failed. The design on the exhaust side sucks. That might have been the problem. I know the aftermarket industry refuses to touch it. But even then, if there is no turbo kit available aftermarket then it'll cost you at least $6k to get one installed custom. Hell, the Genesis Coupe guys are paying around $7.2k for their turbo kits. So our supercharger option is a very good deal and honestly, in terms of reliability, probably the best way to go without risking damage to your connecting rods and a plethora of other internals you may want to steer clear of. Save your pennies, do the little things and maybe in a year or two you you'll be ready for the supercharger. I gotta figure out how to stop getting tickets before I get it myself.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Advanced

I've been stuck in the middle east for half a year now. Trust me when I say I have ALL my hardware waiting for me. Sometimes waiting sucks so fuck it, I'm modding it all the day I get home.

Back to the OP...

I saw in another thread someone else already tried a turbo and failed. The design on the exhaust side sucks. That might have been the problem. I know the aftermarket industry refuses to touch it. But even then, if there is no turbo kit available aftermarket then it'll cost you at least $6k to get one installed custom. Hell, the Genesis Coupe guys are paying around $7.2k for their turbo kits. So our supercharger option is a very good deal and honestly, in terms of reliability, probably the best way to go without risking damage to your connecting rods and a plethora of other internals you may want to steer clear of. Save your pennies, do the little things and maybe in a year or two you you'll be ready for the supercharger. I gotta figure out how to stop getting tickets before I get it myself.
thanks for the advice, on the turbo. i would have thought a turbo would have been easier and cheaper but apparently not, supercharger is more reliable anyways, but luckily my friend suggested places where i can get work done on my acura.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts

Back to the OP...

thanks for saving us from the terrorists

what mods await ye?
Old 06-09-2011, 06:33 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Back to the OP...

haha in your case my friend, mod away!
Old 06-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Advanced

i found a few air intakes that look good, so i wanted to hear your guy's opinions.
K&N 69 Series Typhoon Intake (273$)
Injen SP Series Cold Air (296$ and comes with a free Injen hydro shield)
AEM Cold Air Intake (256$)

i included prices cause i wasnt sure if these are good prices, and im not sure what the hydro shield is so i put that out there.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:55 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

i have a friend selling his K&N typhoon for the cu2 if you are interested. he only put it on once for his dad's ride. but his dad didn't want it so he took it back out. let me know if you are interested
Old 06-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Advanced

well is there a big difference between these 3 intakes?
Old 06-09-2011, 09:26 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

well is there a big difference between these 3 intakes?
honestly, no. they all pretty much perform the same or similar lol.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Advanced

im assuming all 3 probably change the sound of your car in different ways tho.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:55 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

haha well, they are all gonna make it louder, and sound meaner.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:09 AM
Op is too busy to care

one of those comes with a heatshield for SRI right?

if SRI, get that one, if CAI, get injen

unless you have the ears of something that has really great ears then you wont notice any sound dif
Old 06-10-2011, 07:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by KillerG
one of those comes with a heatshield for SRI right?

if SRI, get that one, if CAI, get injen

unless you have the ears of something that has really great ears then you wont notice any sound dif
yeah the injen look nice, they make it in black and chrome but idk if that makes much of a difference, and i got pulled over today, but not for speeding the cop complained about my headlights being too bright, he didnt give me a ticket but it would have been funny if he did. its raining so i had my HID's on and hes like if i see you have them on ill gonna give you a citation, which is stupid because im sure HID's are legal. also thinking about it, since HID's are my headlights it made it seem like he rather see me drive with no headlights on which would be illegal in the conditions.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:44 AM
He was speeding, Rusty!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Since your in the Chicago area, you should check this thread out...
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-performance-parts-modifications-299/looking-pcd-hfpc-i4-tester-around-chicagoland-822066/
Old 06-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Advanced

yeah i saw the thread, i just am kinda weary, of problems it could cause being a prototype and all
Old 06-11-2011, 03:48 AM
Racer

thanks for saving us from the terrorists
My pleasure!

what mods await ye?
CT-E Carbon Ice box, TBS, Downpipe w/cat delete and Tein SS Coilovers all waiting in at my house. About to order the ported runners here soon. Virginia also just changed their tint laws to 35% all around so I'll be getting my front windows re-done. And I'll finally install a JL W710 with an old school PPI 1800.1 Can't freakin wait. I don't think I'll sleep for two days since I'll be so busy working on my car.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:19 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
I'll be in and out of this thread in no time, just wanted to voice an opinion.

You seem to be at the very beginning of being an automotive enthusiast, so welcome to the club! That being said, 115 is a dangerous speed on a public roadway in any circumstance, but your status as a noob makes me think you have no business going 115 even on a track. The speed limit is 55 on the aforementioned road? If you don't care about your own safety, think about the consequences of taking out somebody's child.

Before you defend your "driver control," consider that objects sometimes fly into the roadway leaving very little time to react.

Just be safe, and like I said, welcome to the club!

/end rant
Old 06-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Op is too busy to care

My pleasure!

CT-E Carbon Ice box, TBS, Downpipe w/cat delete and Tein SS Coilovers all waiting in at my house. About to order the ported runners here soon. Virginia also just changed their tint laws to 35% all around so I'll be getting my front windows re-done. And I'll finally install a JL W710 with an old school PPI 1800.1 Can't freakin wait. I don't think I'll sleep for two days since I'll be so busy working on my car.
woah woah woah, thats a ton of shit, im looking forward to you getting home too

do us a big favor, and install em all one at a time, this way you can get a feel for each piece individually and let us know how they are!
Old 06-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Op is too busy to care

but mostly i drive this thing probably harder then i should, ive been running it stock basically 70-90 mph on my highway commutes which are about 70 miles round trip. sometimes i end up going 100+, yesterday i hit 115. obviously this car is not made to go speeds like that without some sort of modifications let alone the v4 version.

woah woah, how did i not see this? normally im all over shit like this. I dont have the energy to troll because i just woke up but listen to NWSTL. Dont be a tool. Respect the rules of the road and the fact that others use it too. If you are reading this, i want you to know you are not welcome into any club with that kind of attitude. Maybe the tsx club.com because that website sucks but not here. We dont drive race cars. We drive entry level luxury sedans. Take it to a track, pay 10 bucks for some laps, and drive as poorly as your heart desires.

Last edited by KillerG; 06-11-2011 at 11:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TSXKid2010 (06-11-2011)

Quick Reply: newish owner of a 2010 acura tsx 2.4 L