Intake Resonator Removal Help / Instruction anyone???

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tishkevich
he has an automatic !! what a lossaaa
haha whats soo bad about an automatic.. i have one too.. but thats because i live in the city and its hecka annoying for manual..

oh and can any1 post a video soo i can hear what it would sound like? i reallllyy want to know.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
The day after I took mine off I thought it was too loud and wanted to put it back on, but the hassle of having to remove the bumper dissuaded me. After having driven it for a week+, I feel that it's nice to have the option to make that sound when you want to. As someone else on this board said, it really only kicks in with load and at around 3-4K, and I'm usually a pretty gentle driver.

Mine's a 5AT and when I want to have fun I put it in S and shift at 5K. Makes me giddy just thinking about it.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MrOtocinclus
The day after I took mine off I thought it was too loud and wanted to put it back on, but the hassle of having to remove the bumper dissuaded me. After having driven it for a week+, I feel that it's nice to have the option to make that sound when you want to. As someone else on this board said, it really only kicks in with load and at around 3-4K, and I'm usually a pretty gentle driver.

Mine's a 5AT and when I want to have fun I put it in S and shift at 5K. Makes me giddy just thinking about it.
post a video of the sound plzz! thanks in advance
Old 06-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by B3RRYKOOL
+1
Old 06-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll refrain from commenting on that ridiculous remark.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

OK, here you go. Sorry about the quantity (lack thereof) of engine sound... it was rush hour and not really a lot of room to drive, and when I finally got a chance to... well you'll see in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGMngUi19cI
Old 06-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Advanced

OK, here you go. Sorry about the quantity (lack thereof) of engine sound... it was rush hour and not really a lot of room to drive, and when I finally got a chance to... well you'll see in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGMngUi19cI
hahaha omg!! thanks!! ohh its good! lol

oh woww thats more meaner and louder.. dayumm lol and last part was what the heck?!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

hahaha omg!! thanks!! ohh its good! lol

oh woww thats more meaner and louder.. dayumm lol and last part was what the heck?!
No problem, I figure I've gained so much knowledge from this forum that I should contribute something myself.

That last part was sudden acceleration+weak tripod=camera down.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
haha whats soo bad about an automatic.. i have one too.. but thats because i live in the city and its hecka annoying for manual..

oh and can any1 post a video soo i can hear what it would sound like? i reallllyy want to know.
lol yeah, I had to go out and buy a corolla for all the traffic and driving I do. Still fun as shit though early in the mornin before traffic gets heavy with a 6 speed
Old 06-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Advanced

No problem, I figure I've gained so much knowledge from this forum that I should contribute something myself.

That last part was sudden acceleration+weak tripod=camera down.
ohh haha yeaa i could tell!

lol yeah, I had to go out and buy a corolla for all the traffic and driving I do. Still fun as shit though early in the mornin before traffic gets heavy with a 6 speed
ohh that sucks! yeaa haha that is fun! just speeding and going to like 5th gear!
Old 06-25-2009, 06:28 AM
Burning Brakes

lol na unfortunately for me since Iraq I've become a completely wreckless driver and in traffic I make it all the way through the gears several times.. well 2 - 6 cause you give me any bit of straight away and i'm up to 120 mph and when I come up on traffic I just shift down to fifth let off the gas and look for an opening thats leading to another, then I drop it to 3rd or 4th and punch through it.. Yesterday morning on my way home from DC me and this motor cycle tore it up all the way from 29 exit on 495 to route 32. He could go faster then 138 though so he had me on the long straight aways.. but it was fun
Old 06-25-2009, 08:18 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
lol na unfortunately for me since Iraq I've become a completely wreckless driver and in traffic I make it all the way through the gears several times.. well 2 - 6 cause you give me any bit of straight away and i'm up to 120 mph and when I come up on traffic I just shift down to fifth let off the gas and look for an opening thats leading to another, then I drop it to 3rd or 4th and punch through it.. Yesterday morning on my way home from DC me and this motor cycle tore it up all the way from 29 exit on 495 to route 32. He could go faster then 138 though so he had me on the long straight aways.. but it was fun
First of all, thank you for serving.

Secondly, it would be a damn shame for you to survive Iraq only to die in a 138+ mph traffic accident when home.

Then again, it'd be worse if you were to survive a collision but kill another non-participatory civilian for wanton recklessness. :shakehead
Old 06-25-2009, 10:01 AM
Burning Brakes

I'd gaurd that throat if I were you...

Old 06-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Burning Brakes

lol yeah, I've assessed this a lot. I'd like to say i'm a responsible wreckless driver but there is no such thing. I have had several professional Offensive and defensive driving courses administered by many different government agencies.. but I can not account for how others will react to my driving.

For example.
495 south towards 95 south I fly by this civic and i'm doin about 115. I guess he experiences road rage that I drove by him on the left so fast and he speeds up as well. We hit traffic and I slow down and he comes flying up my ass, and whips around me and goes to cut me off but as he cuts me off I had my right signal on and was getting out of the lane to go to the far right lane which was open. Well dude sees this and tries to cut back in front of me and punches the gas.. well he didn't look infront of him and he clips the rear right tail of the car infront of him I slam my brakes he fish tails out the car he hit slams there brakes and the front of his car is totalled.. i drive slowly around them and couldn't help but laugh..

This was not my fault directly because of my aggresive driving but becuase of the way the guy reacted to me. In HEAVY traffic I don't drive wrecklessly but anything 70 mph + type traffic and i'm whipping around.

This is why I love my corolla once i get to 80 mph it takes effort on my part to get the car to go any faster. Keeps me calmed down.

P.S. sorry if i'm beginning to jack this thread i'm done :o)
Old 06-25-2009, 12:34 PM
Robbie D.

I don't know if I asked this question already, but anyone know how much a shop would charge me to remove the resonator?

I don't trust myself to do it on my own.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Advanced

lol yeah, I've assessed this a lot. I'd like to say i'm a responsible wreckless driver but there is no such thing. I have had several professional Offensive and defensive driving courses administered by many different government agencies.. but I can not account for how others will react to my driving.

For example.
495 south towards 95 south I fly by this civic and i'm doin about 115. I guess he experiences road rage that I drove by him on the left so fast and he speeds up as well. We hit traffic and I slow down and he comes flying up my ass, and whips around me and goes to cut me off but as he cuts me off I had my right signal on and was getting out of the lane to go to the far right lane which was open. Well dude sees this and tries to cut back in front of me and punches the gas.. well he didn't look infront of him and he clips the rear right tail of the car infront of him I slam my brakes he fish tails out the car he hit slams there brakes and the front of his car is totalled.. i drive slowly around them and couldn't help but laugh..

This was not my fault directly because of my aggresive driving but becuase of the way the guy reacted to me. In HEAVY traffic I don't drive wrecklessly but anything 70 mph + type traffic and i'm whipping around.

This is why I love my corolla once i get to 80 mph it takes effort on my part to get the car to go any faster. Keeps me calmed down.

P.S. sorry if i'm beginning to jack this thread i'm done :o)
hahahaha that is funny! i bet the person he/she clipped got really pissed off! loll yeaaa but why a corolla? ewww! lol imo their p.o.s. i'd go with like a honda or like a mazda for the same price.. unless its like 3 or 4 years old
Old 06-25-2009, 12:52 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by boydanger
I don't know if I asked this question already, but anyone know how much a shop would charge me to remove the resonator?

I don't trust myself to do it on my own.

There comes a time in a young man's life where he realizes he knew more than he gave himself credit for. Look in this thread posted by Tech on Mucter's inquiry about the same thing. There's detailed instructions, take your time and you'll be fine.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-photograph-gallery-144/meh-new-pwp-tsx-w-sport-bumper-722159/

If you still want a shop to do it, they shouldn't charge you more than 1 man/hour's worth of labor. (Most shops don't charge less than 1hr minimum.)

If nothing else, a body shop can do it for you. Their labor rates are much less than mechanical labor rate.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DerwoodEE
I'd gaurd that throat if I were you...

Hahahahahahaha. LMAO. You kill me 'E'.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:08 AM
Burning Brakes

hahahaha that is funny! i bet the person he/she clipped got really pissed off! loll yeaaa but why a corolla? ewww! lol imo their p.o.s. i'd go with like a honda or like a mazda for the same price.. unless its like 3 or 4 years old
lol yeah the corolla is a 2000 and corollas never die! lol plus its got a timing chain not a timing belt which was a big turn on in reliability :o)
Old 06-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Advanced

lol yeah the corolla is a 2000 and corollas never die! lol plus its got a timing chain not a timing belt which was a big turn on in reliability :o)
ohh that would explain it! haha ohh yea huh?! haha i wouldnt be surprised!
Old 06-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Burning Brakes

yep was a cheapo 4 grand car that will last me quite some time and my 25k miles on my tsx can level out with age and sitting under the cover lol
Old 06-26-2009, 11:53 AM
Advanced

yep was a cheapo 4 grand car that will last me quite some time and my 25k miles on my tsx can level out with age and sitting under the cover lol
hahaha yea! oh woww i know right! lucky now your tsx turned into a weekend car. lol
Old 06-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Instructor

I put my resonator back in last night. I drove 400 miles without it, and even in normal driving the sound was much louder, especially when shifting into 2nd (to be fair, I push 2nd longer/harder than any other gear). The biggest reason is we had 95 degree, high humidity weather in MN this week, and it felt like the brake was on during acceleration, with an even louder drone (all bark, no bite).

By mistake, I did create a win/win. The resonator portion that plugs into the bottom of the filter box has a rubber diaphram. When I pushed up, a portion of the diaprham did not seat around the outer tube of the filter box. Just enough to poke your finger through. Therefore, the majority of the air flow comes from the air intake resonator, and a portion allows air (and noise from the engine) to pass through/from the engine compartment. The only time you hear it is when you are in heavy throttle.

An easy way to try this is to remove the top cover of your filter box, remove the bolt that holds the filter box next to the tower, remove the filter, pull up on the filter box and reseat with the rubber lip having a portion "folded over" - just a little. Put the bolt back in place, put the filter back in and snap the cover. You have now tuned the box. If you wanted to be more daring, you could drill around a 1/2 inch hole below the filter into the tube, but then you have a permanent modification.

This procedure takes a whole 5 minutes. Try it and let us know if you like it or not.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:54 PM
10th Gear

I was thinking of pulling off the resonator as well but my wife being the primary driver of the vehicle may not be too pleased with the excessive sound. After looking at the diagram of the intake, http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=TSX&catcgry2= 2009&catcgry3=4DR+TECH&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=RES ONATOR%2BCHAMBER&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no , I may remove the resonator chamber from the air intake ducting and plug it up with something. Don’t know just yet with what. I’m hoping it’s not too loud and I want to avoid having the car bog in this sweltering northern Chihuahua desert heat by having the car ingest air from underneath the stock airbox location.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by 09TSXMN
I put my resonator back in last night. I drove 400 miles without it, and even in normal driving the sound was much louder, especially when shifting into 2nd (to be fair, I push 2nd longer/harder than any other gear). The biggest reason is we had 95 degree, high humidity weather in MN this week, and it felt like the brake was on during acceleration, with an even louder drone (all bark, no bite).

By mistake, I did create a win/win. The resonator portion that plugs into the bottom of the filter box has a rubber diaphram. When I pushed up, a portion of the diaprham did not seat around the outer tube of the filter box. Just enough to poke your finger through. Therefore, the majority of the air flow comes from the air intake resonator, and a portion allows air (and noise from the engine) to pass through/from the engine compartment. The only time you hear it is when you are in heavy throttle.

An easy way to try this is to remove the top cover of your filter box, remove the bolt that holds the filter box next to the tower, remove the filter, pull up on the filter box and reseat with the rubber lip having a portion "folded over" - just a little. Put the bolt back in place, put the filter back in and snap the cover. You have now tuned the box. If you wanted to be more daring, you could drill around a 1/2 inch hole below the filter into the tube, but then you have a permanent modification.

This procedure takes a whole 5 minutes. Try it and let us know if you like it or not.
The rubber thing is just a coupler. Infact, I took the airbox off and took the coupler out. Heres a couple vids of after taking the rubber coupler off. I have some in-car clips but they came out crappy from the wind noise. The mic on the camera was so sensitive that it made music i had playin in the car sound like it was blasting when it was actually pretty low. I'll have to redo those clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfmRKjC9BTo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frPOzq2i0Xw
Old 08-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Racer

i really want to try and remove my resonator.
ive been looking around the threads for pics, but i dont even know where to look, or even what im looking for?
help please. id prefer to do it without removing the bumper.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by hjahmad
i really want to try and remove my resonator.
ive been looking around the threads for pics, but i dont even know where to look, or even what im looking for?
help please. id prefer to do it without removing the bumper.
it will be ALOT easier if you remove the bumper. I know its a frightening though at first but it really isnt that hard...trust me. I also believe being able to remove your bumper is a good skill to have, especially if you are a car enthusiast.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Racer

i agree, but my car is still new and one broken clip would annoy me. ill eventually get to it.
is there any diagram that shoows each and every clip or screw?
ive seen mucter's thread and in his pics, he took off more than just a bumper. is all that required to remove the resonator?
i have read that it is possible to do it with out. i do have jack stands to going from underneath is no trouble for me.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

There is a diagram on the Honda e-store site. It's actually the instruction for installing the aero bumper, but you can use it to take off the bumper.

If you have never done it before, I would not try to take out the resonator without removing the bumper. One of the bolts holding the resonator in place is way in the back and difficult to get to unless you know exactly where it is.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Racer

im gonna try it. im pretty handy, and have worked on some cars before.
but i just dont know what the resonator even looks like.
pics of it?
Old 08-06-2010, 12:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

It is the black plastic box in mucter's pics.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Racer

lol thanks
but can you be more specific?
Old 08-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Here's a picture of the intake from another forum member.

The bottom part is the resonator, the top is where the air filter resides, connect through long tube to the resonator below. As you can see, it will be easier if you remove the bumper.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Racer

thanks, yeah it does look like the bumper will need to be taken off.

what is the best place to disconnect it. in the 2nd pic, i see the two tubes have a connection point.

on a side note. what does the resonator do?
Old 08-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Some people managed to get the resonator out by removing the left front wheel and then pull the inner fender cover off to gain access.

The role of the intake resonator is to reduce noise. If you look at the parts diagram http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no,

the air comes in from the top inlet (#10) , travel down through the L joint to the resonator (#6) and then up through the tube to the air filter box before going into the engine. It's very restrictive but quiet. A Cold Air Intake bypass all that, draw the air from below near wheel well and go straight up to the intake manifold. You only have to remove part #6, the parts that follows can remain in place.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys just did this mod, took about 2 hours for me, first time taking off bumper and we were taking our time, but according to

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

Part #7, which is located to the left of the battery, we couldn't get that part out.. no matter how much wiggling or wutever, it was just too tight, and the part was too big, so we just bolted it back onto the battery platform where .. so its just kinda free hanging there. we actually pulled the battery too and we still couldn't get it out.. wonder if the CDN TSX is any different than the USDM one? Any ideas or help getting it out?

Taking off the bumper was abitch lol... i hate all those plastic clips.. not bad we only broke 2 lol..

and i didn't think the resonator was in that tight, took alot of wiggling and tugging to get it out.. we actually accidentally broke off the bottom box, and then the piping came out.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jonnie5
Hey guys just did this mod, took about 2 hours for me, first time taking off bumper and we were taking our time, but according to

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

Part #7, which is located to the left of the battery, we couldn't get that part out.. no matter how much wiggling or wutever, it was just too tight, and the part was too big, so we just bolted it back onto the battery platform where .. so its just kinda free hanging there. we actually pulled the battery too and we still couldn't get it out.. wonder if the CDN TSX is any different than the USDM one? Any ideas or help getting it out?

Taking off the bumper was abitch lol... i hate all those plastic clips.. not bad we only broke 2 lol..

and i didn't think the resonator was in that tight, took alot of wiggling and tugging to get it out.. we actually accidentally broke off the bottom box, and then the piping came out.
Part #6 is the resonator, leave part #7 alone, you don't need to remove them.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:58 AM
Instructor

so i just leave part 7 hanging there? it servers no purpose now that its disconnected lol

edit: Just like to add, such a sweet CHEAP MOD !! lol, sounds so deadly, my friend was driving beside me and he said he can hear that thing roar when i lay it to the gas, but i've noticed that my mileage is fluctuating more, probably just cause its adjusting to the extra airflow

Last edited by Jonnie5; 08-12-2010 at 02:08 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Leave #7, #9 and #10 alone, it's part of the intake ( Cold air comes in through #10, down through #9 and #7 and then go through #6 resonator (which you removed) and up to the air filter.

Leaving #7,#9 and #10 alone will help you later on if you wish to install CAI (Cold Air Intake) like CT Ice box, Takeda or Injen, because the air filter (for Takeda and Injen) and air horn velocity stack (for CT Ice box) will draw cold air from where the resonator used to reside (#6).
Old 08-13-2010, 01:57 AM
Instructor

oh ok thanks, well im gonna do be doing SRI anyways, because of the easier access and i personally like the louder sound, does anybody know if the takeda SRI is any louder than the stock box with out resonator? cuz right now its nice and loud, i love it lol, also i'd like to add that my mileage is back to normal now, after the install i shot up to like 8.8-9L/100km but im back down to 7.9-8.3L/100Km

Quick Reply: Intake Resonator Removal Help / Instruction anyone???