Installing cold air intake DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 08:13 AM
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 83 Posts
Installing cold air intake DIY?

I just purchased a Takeda CIA and was wondering if there is a write up in installing it.

This will be my first time actually doing a engine mod and i know alot have already done this.
so any instructions or advice will be a great help..
Planing on doing it today after work.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:07 AM
Banned

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
http://www.aemintakes.com/instructio...1-697_inst.pdf
Old 08-18-2014, 09:53 AM
Racer

looks more complicated then I thought
The following users liked this post:
musty hustla (10-05-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 11:02 AM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Received 856 Likes on 643 Posts
lol all that work for literally no gains and the possibility of hydrolock.
The following 2 users liked this post by iCrap:
opboarding (08-18-2014), xtcnrice (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 11:17 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by iCrap
lol all that work for literally no gains and the possibility of hydrolock.
do you have one installed?
Old 08-18-2014, 11:24 AM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

nope cause I think CAI is a waste of money. Like i said, little to no gains and the possibility of hydrolock. All you're going to get is a better sound. (And you can get that same sound by removing the stock intake resonator)
opboarding (08-20-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 11:35 AM
Racer

how can i remove the stock intake resonator and what does removing do? Pros or cons?
thanks
Old 08-18-2014, 12:14 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

cons, nothing really, pros, sounds better,
No point though if you already bought that CAI. unless you sell it i guess.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:43 PM
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
Hydrolock? Not with the takeda intake, it comes with a hydrosheild. Ive had it for 1 1/2 years never hydrolocked even in harsh rain and my car is lowered. U are wrong about it not having gains because I did a test when I had access to vits eDyno. This intake gives 3whp more then stock on flashpros "tuned" map. So imagine if u got it tuned by vit or any other professional tuner, u would get more then 3whp. The intake resonator must be removed for the pipe to go down for the CAI setup, or u can just run the intake as a short ram if u don't wanna go through the trouble. If u dont want to remove the bumper to take the intake resonator off, u gotta remove the drivers side wheel pull back the fender lining so u have access to the box from the wheel well. When replacing the coolant lines from the TB make sure u have a towel handy so u don't drip coolant all over the place.

Last edited by Dime Feng; 08-18-2014 at 12:52 PM.
soupi (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 01:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts
I am going to have a Takeda listed for sale here in the very near future.

Also the rv6 downpipe.

I am lowered, and in the STL. I have had cai on every Honda I have owned for the last 14 years. I have never hydro locked a motor. I don't drive everywhere with the throttle wide open either.

I just dislike the absolutes that tend to get thrown around on forums.
musty hustla (10-05-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 01:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by optimusaccord
I am going to have a Takeda listed for sale here in the very near future.

Also the rv6 downpipe.

I am lowered, and in the STL. I have had cai on every Honda I have owned for the last 14 years. I have never hydro locked a motor. I don't drive everywhere with the throttle wide open either.

I just dislike the absolutes that tend to get thrown around on forums.
how much do you plan on selling it?
Old 08-18-2014, 01:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dime Feng
Hydrolock? Not with the takeda intake, it comes with a hydrosheild. Ive had it for 1 1/2 years never hydrolocked even in harsh rain and my car is lowered. U are wrong about it not having gains because I did a test when I had access to vits eDyno. This intake gives 3whp more then stock on flashpros "tuned" map. So imagine if u got it tuned by vit or any other professional tuner, u would get more then 3whp. The intake resonator must be removed for the pipe to go down for the CAI setup, or u can just run the intake as a short ram if u don't wanna go through the trouble. If u dont want to remove the bumper to take the intake resonator off, u gotta remove the drivers side wheel pull back the fender lining so u have access to the box from the wheel well. When replacing the coolant lines from the TB make sure u have a towel handy so u don't drip coolant all over the place.
thanks for this advice, have you switched from CAI to Short ram during the year and half of having the Takeda? Also how does it sound?
Old 08-18-2014, 01:18 PM
Burning Brakes

I am very fair when it comes to pricing.

I'll take a picture of it, and list it in the classifieds.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by optimusaccord
I am very fair when it comes to pricing.

I'll take a picture of it, and list it in the classifieds.
send me a pm when you post it
Old 08-18-2014, 01:30 PM
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by soupi
thanks for this advice, have you switched from CAI to Short ram during the year and half of having the Takeda? Also how does it sound?
Only time I ever put it as short ram was when I first got the intake. Its louder then running it cold air, like alot louder. U can hear the air being sucked in.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:06 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Ill be interested in that rv6 pipe when it's listed.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:07 PM
Racer

wow that must sound nice when the RPM goes up, i think ill run it as short ram too to test it out.. might be a little easier to install..
Old 08-19-2014, 02:34 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Only thing with a short ram is that the head from the engine might not give you the most cold air as much as a full cold air intake going down. Although you have to remove the bumper, I think overall its worth it.

Like D Feng said, you should have a hydro shield with the system, that pretty much goes over the cover of the filter and protects it from water, now it doesn't fully prevent it from getting soaked, but since you got the bumper covering it, I dont see how you can hydrolock the engine. I have had mine for about 2 years now, no issues what so ever.

IMO and I think some others will agree, there is a benefit to having a CAI, the sound, the hp gains as well as gas mileage from what I have noted.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by imKing
Only thing with a short ram is that the head from the engine might not give you the most cold air as much as a full cold air intake going down. Although you have to remove the bumper, I think overall its worth it.

Like D Feng said, you should have a hydro shield with the system, that pretty much goes over the cover of the filter and protects it from water, now it doesn't fully prevent it from getting soaked, but since you got the bumper covering it, I dont see how you can hydrolock the engine. I have had mine for about 2 years now, no issues what so ever.

IMO and I think some others will agree, there is a benefit to having a CAI, the sound, the hp gains as well as gas mileage from what I have noted.
thanks for your advice..
i bought this for the filter
http://www.autoanything.com/air-filt...eda-pre-filter

to cover it, but I think I will go with the CIA set up for now... i should be getting it on saturday...

Im just worried about installation i dont want any dash lights to appear because i know how sensitive the CU2's are...
Sachin179 (08-07-2019)
Old 08-19-2014, 04:14 PM
Racer

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...1-697_inst.pdf

it looks like im going to be messing with alot of sensors
Old 08-20-2014, 09:43 AM
Banned

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
Op it's an easy job, just take your time, you have instructions with pictures lol

All my car's have had CAI and all have been lowered, no hydrolock for me, it's common sense driving. You are not going to drive into a river, just like you are not going to go full speed over a speed bump.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:28 AM
Racer

well said
Old 08-20-2014, 12:36 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
nope cause I think CAI is a waste of money. Like i said, little to no gains and the possibility of hydrolock. All you're going to get is a better sound. (And you can get that same sound by removing the stock intake resonator)
Absolutely correct. Contrary to some claimed improvements is power (I've heard everything from 2 to 20 hp) the fact is that no CAI or ram intake or any other aftermarket intake wizardry is going to give you any gains and will most likely give you power loss.

Let's look at some facts:

Cold air is better so a CAI must be good. Correct. Except lets look at where this "cold air" is coming from. In general, it comes from one of to places - either under the hood (it is nice and cold there) or from bumper level. Blacktop reflects heat so the air lower down is significantly warmer than the air up higher - like where the stock intake sucks in air.

But it sucks in more air - more air is better. More air is better but let's see how you can get more air - you can either filter less or you can make the filtered area larger - but - at some point you run into the OE restriction (unless you can figure out a way to change out the entire air intake system to the cylinder). You are still limited by the size of the OE intake that you are bolting the CAI to.

Think of it this way. Take a fat straw and suck up a milkshake. That works pretty well, but tape that fat straw to a normal straw and it is just like sucking the milkshake through the normal straw. The normal straw is the OE tubing that you are bolting the CAI to.

The only change is the sound. That may make it feel more powerful but it isn't.

Also, you may have warranty issues (right or wrong) because the dealer could tie any driveabilty issues to the modification.
The following 3 users liked this post by ceb:
iCrap (08-20-2014), opboarding (08-20-2014), soupi (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 03:12 PM
Racer

wow that seems like a waste of 300$ just for the sound, I could of just took the resinator like iCrap said...
if theres no HP boost, why does takeda esta about u to 12 hp gain smh.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:44 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Perhaps the tests are skewed. Maybe takeda et al. run the car (stock) on a dyno in really shitty conditions (super hot day for example) 4-5 times, and takes the worse number as the baseline, and then they run the car (with the intake) on a dyno in ideal conditions and choose the best run. I'm not sure if there are standards on how you're supposed to test/market engine mods (whether they're for offroad purposes or not), but if not, I assume that may be the case.

This and/or the car without the intake is on a stock tune, and the car with the intake is actually tuned. I mean, you can flashpro your stock car and probably see gains... so who knows what's going on here. If you have the time/money, put your car on a dyno with and without the intake on the same day and see if you get any noticeable gains. You likely won't. It's pretty much psychological since the car will sound (subjectively) better with the CAI, much like a resonator delete.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:18 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Originally Posted by ceb
Absolutely correct. Contrary to some claimed improvements is power (I've heard everything from 2 to 20 hp) the fact is that no CAI or ram intake or any other aftermarket intake wizardry is going to give you any gains and will most likely give you power loss.

Let's look at some facts:

Cold air is better so a CAI must be good. Correct. Except lets look at where this "cold air" is coming from. In general, it comes from one of to places - either under the hood (it is nice and cold there) or from bumper level. Blacktop reflects heat so the air lower down is significantly warmer than the air up higher - like where the stock intake sucks in air.

But it sucks in more air - more air is better. More air is better but let's see how you can get more air - you can either filter less or you can make the filtered area larger - but - at some point you run into the OE restriction (unless you can figure out a way to change out the entire air intake system to the cylinder). You are still limited by the size of the OE intake that you are bolting the CAI to.

Think of it this way. Take a fat straw and suck up a milkshake. That works pretty well, but tape that fat straw to a normal straw and it is just like sucking the milkshake through the normal straw. The normal straw is the OE tubing that you are bolting the CAI to.

The only change is the sound. That may make it feel more powerful but it isn't.

Also, you may have warranty issues (right or wrong) because the dealer could tie any driveabilty issues to the modification.
Thank you! Some people just don't get it..

Originally Posted by soupi
wow that seems like a waste of 300$ just for the sound, I could of just took the resinator like iCrap said...
if theres no HP boost, why does takeda esta about u to 12 hp gain smh.
I would guess the tests are skewed just as xtrnice says. Seriously you might as well just burn that $300.

Originally Posted by xtcnrice
Perhaps the tests are skewed. Maybe takeda et al. run the car (stock) on a dyno in really shitty conditions (super hot day for example) 4-5 times, and takes the worse number as the baseline, and then they run the car (with the intake) on a dyno in ideal conditions and choose the best run. I'm not sure if there are standards on how you're supposed to test/market engine mods (whether they're for offroad purposes or not), but if not, I assume that may be the case.

This and/or the car without the intake is on a stock tune, and the car with the intake is actually tuned. I mean, you can flashpro your stock car and probably see gains... so who knows what's going on here. If you have the time/money, put your car on a dyno with and without the intake on the same day and see if you get any noticeable gains. You likely won't. It's pretty much psychological since the car will sound (subjectively) better with the CAI, much like a resonator delete.
This is probably what they do honestly, and just hope that nobody tests it themselves to see if there are actually real gains.

I saw some testing done where the stock airbox and filters in most car outflow what the engine can take in anyways... Personally I think a CAI or filter like a a K&N is a total waste of money.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:15 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went with the injen cai. And I tried it in short ram first because I was waiting for my intake sock to put on the filter before I inhaled the extra pipe to bring the intake behind the wheel well. My car lowered as well. I've driven in hard rain and significant puddles and I never had any problems. But the difference between the short ram and ca. The short ram gives you a little better off the line power but flat lines mid range up. The cold air gives ua nice punch from mid to high range. I prefer the child air.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:31 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by krilla929
I went with the injen cai. And I tried it in short ram first because I was waiting for my intake sock to put on the filter before I inhaled the extra pipe to bring the intake behind the wheel well. My car lowered as well. I've driven in hard rain and significant puddles and I never had any problems. But the difference between the short ram and ca. The short ram gives you a little better off the line power but flat lines mid range up. The cold air gives ua nice punch from mid to high range. I prefer the child air.
I prefer adult air.
The following 2 users liked this post by ceb:
iCrap (09-05-2014), Sachin179 (08-07-2019)
Old 09-05-2014, 07:39 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

lol
Old 09-30-2014, 06:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Where on the Forum is the "DIY" Section ?
Also looking for AEM V2 Intake install.
I am actually taking the AEM V2 Out to sell,
And need to see the re-install of the OEM
On a 2007 TL
Old 09-30-2014, 06:31 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Received 443 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by JD TL-S
Where on the Forum is the "DIY" Section ?
Also looking for AEM V2 Intake install.
I am actually taking the AEM V2 Out to sell,
And need to see the re-install of the OEM
On a 2007 TL
This is the forum for the 3G TL:
Third Generation TL (2004-2008) - AcuraZine Community

Installation:
http://www.aemintakes.com/instructio...1-513_inst.pdf
Old 10-03-2014, 07:38 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
I had the K&N kit. 3 1/4" tube had inner diameter of 3.125". OEM is 3.0" inner diameter. The larger area actually slows air velocity thus the MAF sensor measures lean as more air gets by. Most other kits use 3" pipe which has ID of 2.875" which does not flow as well as stock. AHM redesigned the 2nd gen TSX to flow better than 1st gen intake. Stock design (material & shape) allow more accurate MAF readings.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
I went back to stock with K&N panel filter and took the resonator out. Same sound I believe better response as heat soak might have been a factor in the kit I had - location and material or size of the k&n tube.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:58 PM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
I have a Takeda CAI/Short Ram. Its easy to install. You shouldnt have any problems. I installed CAI version first. Then put it in the short ram configuraton as its easier to keep an eye on the filter.

I noticed zero performance upgrade with this mod but I do like how it sounds. Agree $300 for cool sound? Tough call.

Now the downpipe I bought from Throwdown did produce noticeable gains and I recommend it to anyone as a performance mod.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:35 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Originally Posted by Terdbath
I have a Takeda CAI/Short Ram. Its easy to install. You shouldnt have any problems. I installed CAI version first. Then put it in the short ram configuraton as its easier to keep an eye on the filter.

I noticed zero performance upgrade with this mod but I do like how it sounds. Agree $300 for cool sound? Tough call.

Now the downpipe I bought from Throwdown did produce noticeable gains and I recommend it to anyone as a performance mod.
Are you tuned on FlashPro?
Old 10-09-2014, 06:46 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Originally Posted by xtcnrice
Are you tuned on FlashPro?
Intake doesn't really do much regardless of tuned or not though
Old 10-09-2014, 11:39 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Intake doesn't really do much regardless of tuned or not though
naw I was just curious about tuned or not b/c he has a downpipe
Old 10-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Does Takeda make a heat sheild so you can use it if you wanna run the short ram layout?
Old 10-10-2014, 10:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Not that I am aware of.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:38 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by katanamast279
Does Takeda make a heat sheild so you can use it if you wanna run the short ram layout?
the closest thing to a heat shield I am using is
Takeda Pre Filters - Best Price on Takeda Filter Covers for Cold Air Intakes - Free Shipping on Takeda Air Filter Covers.

Quick Reply: Installing cold air intake DIY?