Independent foglights

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Independent foglights

Hey guys I know there is a DIY on this but I wanted to know if there is a way to wire the fogs up to come on alone or with park light and still using the oem foglight switch and not installing a separate after market one ?
Old 07-08-2013, 09:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The short answer is no.
The long answer is that with a DPDT switch and some relays and a fuse or two, you can set it up so that you can have the fogs on independently or with headlights.
The reason is because there is not a straight line connection between the switch and the lights - the switch sends a signal to a computer control system called the MICU that controls the power out to the fog light left and right (independently).
That means that you will have to create either an independent power and wiring system, or integrate into the existing system, a hybrid of sorts.
The simplest is the independent system: come off of the power block under the hood to a fuse and then to a relay that is activated from a switch on the dash, that gets power from a source that is only powered when the key is on (also fused and from the driver fuse block). The power from the relay is then routed to the fog lights through dedicated wiring, and the OEM positive wiring is disconnected and sealed off. A simple rocker type ON/OFF switch can be mounted in the blank on the left lower of the dash next to the traction control button.
I found one that I used at Rat Shack for a couple of bucks and it blends in well. Some people have used a switch from an Accord.
Good Luck!