DIY Optimizing airflow

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
DIY Optimizing airflow

After I removed my Resonatorbox a few months ago I recognized how crazy ways the air have to go. From the front of the batterie down, then rightside to the resonator, then up again to the intake box
Thought I have to remove the frontbumper for take the stuff out. But today I find a way to do it without touching the bumper!
So here is my little DIY that cost you about 1 hour, and yo get a littlle better response on the throttle. Hope I translate everything understandable.
You need only a screwdriver and a wrench??? with a 10 for screws??? Hope the pics help you more than my writing.LOL

Remove following parts
black cover with the 2 plastik screws

the short pipe

this bolt under the battery

Open the batteryholder so you can move the battery to the right and towards the airfilter, then you can get another bolt. you dont have to disconnect the battery!

open the brown holder of the battery plus cable with the screwdriver

take out the black metallholder

pull this big pipe to the left. and now the tricky part. get this pipe out, the radiator is close so you have to turn and pull and turn and pull, but after 3 minutes I hold it in my hands.

This parts are out now

bolt on the metallholder again and fix the battery pluscable again. Move the battery on its place and fix it too.

Now the air the engine got is not so restricted???. It comes in here (its under the battery

with one curve it goes upside to the airfilterbox

Maybe you can put at the pipe under the battery a tube that makes a curve to the Front grille to get mor fresh air!
In my opinion a good way to get a better response to the engine. Its a good prepare for a SRI wich gets fresh air then. And the car looses some weight. LOL
Here is a pic with the Reonator box. A lot stuff no one needs and better sound to. But the sound comes only from outtaking the Resonator, its not getting louder any more with taking this pipe out!

Hope you understand everything and dont only have to laugh at my explaining. I have to laugh a lot when I write it.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
Great thread man. I know there are many users who wanted to do this mod without taking off the bumper so you are definitely helping people out!
Old 04-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Pro

Thank you ttk5
I think there is another Thread where its shown, how you can remove the Resonator without taking off the bumper. You have to take off the wheel, and some screws and clips at the inner fender. Its easier to take off this pipe when the Resonatoe is already out. But it must work even if the Resonator is still inside.
You have in my opinion one of the best looking tsx I have seen here! But think we have the same taste of modding cars.LOL
Old 04-09-2011, 01:47 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
good stuff hondo!
Old 04-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by HondoGermany
You have in my opinion one of the best looking tsx I have seen here! But think we have the same taste of modding cars.LOL
haha! trust me, were gonna look even more similar once I have my type-s lip kit on
Old 04-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ed_423
good stuff hondo!
Thank you ed
Your the first who call me at my normal nickname (Hondo) .
Dont know why I used HondoGermany when I was getting part of the Acurazine Communty. Want to be Hondo again, like for over 10 years in every Forum I was with my different Hondas!
Old 04-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
Thanks hondo! great DIY nice pics. I enjoy your posts!
Old 04-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks!
Great DIY!
Old 04-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Very helpful, I plan to do this tomorrow.

Danke!
Old 04-15-2011, 05:12 AM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Is this just another way to remove the resonator without removing the front bumper? Wish you had posted this earlier! Would have made my life a hell of a lot easier hahah.
I still have that pipe sitting in my engine bay, does it do anything or is it just sitting there wasting space? I might as well remove it when I have the time if it does nothing now lol.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:11 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Good job Hondo!

now about that German beer!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:02 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I removed the resonator I removed all that plastic piping crap. It was so confined in there I had to disconnect, unplug, unscrew soooo much stuff (you don't wanna know) just to get the end result. You guys on here make it look so easy, but it's definitely not for me. Lol!
Old 04-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Euronoob
Is this just another way to remove the resonator without removing the front bumper? Wish you had posted this earlier! Would have made my life a hell of a lot easier hahah.
I still have that pipe sitting in my engine bay, does it do anything or is it just sitting there wasting space? I might as well remove it when I have the time if it does nothing now lol.
This is only the way to remove the piping in the engine bay. The Resonator ist out at this point already.
This piping is just wasting space, LOL. After one week out with this crap I think my car is breathing better and responses on throttle a little quicker. And a little better sound, as only removing the Resonator. All together no big things, but better anyway. For that it cost me only 1hour of my time its great!
Old 04-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by justnspace
Good job Hondo!

now about that German beer!
Thank you and Prost to everyone !

Last edited by HondoGermany; 04-15-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:22 PM
Pro

I think this mod makes me save gas. Since I take out the pipes my car needs only 10L gas on 100km, before I needed 11L. I cant believe, thats a lot fuelsave for throwing some stuff out of my car. I never recognized this on my former cars, where I did the same, like my Prelude BB2. Can somebody tell me if its possible and why. Have to ride my car on weekend for better results. Will post!
Old 04-23-2011, 11:09 PM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Ok, since you removed your resonator I agree that extra piping was wasting space. But, you would not see any gains from removing it. When you remove the resonator you are basically sucking air in directly below the filter. check it out...
Old 04-24-2011, 09:57 AM
Pro

This piece of the pipe is still in, it starts under the battery. Im still looking for a bow which will be looking to the front of the car
Old 04-24-2011, 08:45 PM
ROTAREDOM

^^ did you end up cutting that away? mine seems to be pretty solidly glued? or mounted? to the resonator. Anyways, I found it easier to just make my own down leg off the filter. Custom CAI works great!
Old 04-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Pro

Yes, this part is glued into the Resonator. I can get it out, but a little part is breaking out from the resonator. But I can glue it to the Box again. LOL
Your way isnt bad, but I started with take those parts out, and it was ok.
Here is a pic of the broken resonator, its only one part to glue in again, so no big prob!
Old 04-25-2011, 04:30 PM
ROTAREDOM

ahhhhh I see now! I didn't want to cut or break anything away just so that I could return everything to stock if/when I decide to sell.

Since that pipe is still intact I wonder if you can run a pipe that goes left (looking from the front of the car) and around to that open space in front of the radiator.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can this be worked on a Acura TSX american model? and even though my resonator is out i can still take out what you are doing?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:45 PM
Pro

We got the same Motor (K24Z3), and the pic on post 16 from ssjoeboe9 shows the same piping as on the Euro Accord CU2, the CU1 has a little different piping, even better to work with because its smaller.If theresonator is in or out makes no difference, I realized last week, because the last pipe which is under the battery goes out very easy, so you can leave the resonator inside to prevent water to the airfilter if you are scared about waterdamage to your filter.
I can say that my car has a little better response on accelerating, without this piping and without resonatorbox.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Completed my first mod today! took out the resonator from my 2011 V6 TSX and it sounds sexy. it was a huge pain to get out. I couldn't figure out how to get to the engine bay screw...so i had to remove my battery and plate that holds it underneath. took me about 3 hours. I was worried taking off the bumper would take the most time but it went pretty fast. Thanks for the pictures here. Mine was a little different being the V6 and a 2011(mainly the engine bay bolt was in a complete different hidden spot, but they still helped.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great DYI... !
Old 09-15-2011, 09:48 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
I'm curious, what exactly is inside our resonator box? From googling it, it seems like its just an open void to help with the sound. There wouldn't be another filter or anything inside would there?

I ask because all the SRI or CAI setups have a filter on the end of the down pipe. When you remove the resonator assembly there is just the filterless stub that is there.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:42 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
^ i think that's because our stock filter sits up top in the engine bay
Old 07-19-2012, 12:17 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey I'm tray to remove the extra tube by the battery on my v6. How hard was it to remove the plate n after was there anything else? I know that bolt holding in the tube is a pain. Tried to remove it with the battery on, what a fail. Just need some friendly help.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Pro

I got an I4, cannot talk about V6. Without moving the battery was no way to get the pipe out, on the I4.
Maybe you better PM opboarding, he does that on his V6 and he is better in explaining that in your language than I can do. Sorry
Old 05-19-2014, 11:42 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This piece of the pipe is still in, it starts under the battery. Im still looking for a bow which will be looking to the front of the car
Hondo: Great DIY, but I failed at removing the additional piping from behind the radiator and in front of the battery like you did. I tried all night tonight and couldn't get it to come out. I even removed the battery completely, thinking I could remove the battery tray, but it's welded down on some braces under there. I WAS able to remove the piece you show in the quote though. That was attached to the top of my resonator box below the air cleaner box. It came out with the resonator, which I removed the bumper in order to do. Perhaps you meant another piece than what you showed? Removing all that piping does create more air space down under there, but I don't see how it increases your airflow enough to increase gas mileage. Or maybe it does somehow?
Old 05-21-2014, 01:35 PM
Pro

It wasnt that much increase as I thought when I did this. I´m still around 10,9 Litre for 100 kilometre. But I would do this mod again every time. Sound and response is def. better!
Old 05-21-2014, 03:20 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
It wasnt that much increase as I thought when I did this. I´m still around 10,9 Litre for 100 kilometre. But I would do this mod again every time. Sound and response is def. better!
Factory intakes have gotten significantly better with the advent of fuel injection and electronic controls.

It would make no sense for for Honda to add all that extra tubing if gains were to be had without it. Manufacturers spend millions designing these systems and it is impossible for an aftermarket company (or an individual) to design an intake that is more efficient.

What you will get is more noise. Factory airboxes are designed first for efficiency and secondly for noise attenuation. The people who buy Accords in Europe and Acuras in the US are not generally the younger "hot rod" crowd who are interested in loud intakes and exhausts.

The Accord is considered an entry level executive car, like a big Vauxhall, Opel, BMW 3, MB C or Audi A4 in Europe. (BMW's, MB's and Audis are considered luxury in the US but are quite common as Accords are in the US).

Accordingly, the intakes aren't optimized for loud but you won't see any efficiency gains from yanking it out either.

You will, however, get more sound which gives the impression of more power.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:32 PM
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Factory intakes have gotten significantly better with the advent of fuel injection and electronic controls.

It would make no sense for for Honda to add all that extra tubing if gains were to be had without it. Manufacturers spend millions designing these systems and it is impossible for an aftermarket company (or an individual) to design an intake that is more efficient.

What you will get is more noise. Factory airboxes are designed first for efficiency and secondly for noise attenuation. The people who buy Accords in Europe and Acuras in the US are not generally the younger "hot rod" crowd who are interested in loud intakes and exhausts.

The Accord is considered an entry level executive car, like a big Vauxhall, Opel, BMW 3, MB C or Audi A4 in Europe. (BMW's, MB's and Audis are considered luxury in the US but are quite common as Accords are in the US).

Accordingly, the intakes aren't optimized for loud but you won't see any efficiency gains from yanking it out either.

I beg to differ. For strictly performance purposes there are some ponies to be squeezed out of many cars with a well designed aftermarket intake system. Not saying that every car is going to see a 5-15hp increase with a system in place or anything at all especially without tuning or other supporting mods but with some applications it has been proven to provide substantial gains.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts
And the debate rages on! FOREVER!!!
Old 05-21-2014, 11:36 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Received 856 Likes on 643 Posts
All I know is my car sounds like crap with the resonator tubing all taken out and i'm putting it right back in soon.

I seriously doubt doing this results in any gained horsepower. Honda engineers know what they are doing.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Yeah... Honda Engineers know what they are doing... putting the LSD into the MT TSX.... Good job guys! Also, great job on using the 14 bolt ring gear! Knocking it out of the park!

Awesome front end bumper, that everyone loves! <-- I like my bumper btw.

SRSLY?

If you believed that statement, you wouldn't be here on a forum looking up modifications.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:01 AM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Received 856 Likes on 643 Posts
Originally Posted by optimusaccord
Yeah... Honda Engineers know what they are doing... putting the LSD into the MT TSX.... Good job guys! Also, great job on using the 14 bolt ring gear! Knocking it out of the park!

Awesome front end bumper, that everyone loves! <-- I like my bumper btw.

SRSLY?

If you believed that statement, you wouldn't be here on a forum looking up modifications.
shit.. can't argue with that lol you're right.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:12 AM
Burning Brakes

I still <3 you guy's.
The following users liked this post:
iCrap (05-22-2014)
Old 05-22-2014, 02:25 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ceb

Hi Ceb, mein Freund
1. Im not a young hot rod. I´m 50 years old car enthusiast.
2. My car is not LOUD without resonator- IT SOUNDS BETTER, Thats not what I call NOISE !!!
You are right, that the manufacturers design the tubing to reduce LOUDNESS, the other effect of this piping and redonator IS restricted airflow! You cant have both, silence AND good airflow on a i4. Racecars have no piping like a DD, why not? Because they have to be fast and not silent.
I dont want to say I have 5 hp more, but noticeable reaction when push the pedal.
No one ever called my car loud or noisy, it is maybe 2-3 db louder than OEM.

Ich hoffe ich hab mich Dir gegenüber nicht unhöflich geäußert, wäre nicht meine Absicht gewesen. Ich kenne dich und deine Ansichten und geb Dir zu 90% Recht. Aber mein englisch ist immer noch nicht so gut um so ein Thema zu erklären
Gruß aus D
Old 05-27-2014, 08:20 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Hi Ceb, mein Freund
1. Im not a young hot rod. I´m 50 years old car enthusiast.
2. My car is not LOUD without resonator- IT SOUNDS BETTER, Thats not what I call NOISE !!!
You are right, that the manufacturers design the tubing to reduce LOUDNESS, the other effect of this piping and redonator IS restricted airflow! You cant have both, silence AND good airflow on a i4. Racecars have no piping like a DD, why not? Because they have to be fast and not silent.
I dont want to say I have 5 hp more, but noticeable reaction when push the pedal.
No one ever called my car loud or noisy, it is maybe 2-3 db louder than OEM.

Ich hoffe ich hab mich Dir gegenüber nicht unhöflich geäußert, wäre nicht meine Absicht gewesen. Ich kenne dich und deine Ansichten und geb Dir zu 90% Recht. Aber mein englisch ist immer noch nicht so gut um so ein Thema zu erklären
Gruß aus D
Ahh, but you are young at heart...

Airflow is limited by the most restrictive area. Prior to fuel injection and all the electronic gizmos, the carburetor was so huge that the intake and filter were used to throttle that.

There are only a few ways to increase airflow. The most common is to decrease filtration or increase the filtered area.

We know that less filtration is bad so one would need to increase the filtered area. Then, however, you are limited by the smallest pipe in the system - and you haven't removed that so the restriction remains - as it always will.

The increased sound and the sucking noise from the resonator-less system will give the impression that the car has more power but it really doesn't.

Absolut nicht, mein Freund. Der Vorteil dieser Boards is dass wir unterschiedliche Meinungen haben koennen ohne das irgendjemand sich beleidigt fuehlt. Du, Ich, Simba und Robpp sind alle von der gleichen Generation - wir sind the Erwachsene in diesen Kindergarten

Und Dein Englisch ist ziemlich gut.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:23 PM
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Absolut nicht, mein Freund. Der Vorteil dieser Boards is dass wir unterschiedliche Meinungen haben koennen ohne das irgendjemand sich beleidigt fuehlt. Du, Ich, Simba und Robpp sind alle von der gleichen Generation - wir sind the Erwachsene in diesen Kindergarten

Und Dein Englisch ist ziemlich gut.
Touché lol

Quick Reply: DIY Optimizing airflow