$1000 worth of mods?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:57 PM
not superchaged

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
$1000 worth of mods?

Thanks to some new part time work I'll be getting about $1000 after 2 mo of work. I will be getting half by middle of November and the other half at the end of November. I am thinking about putting the money into some parts and I want get some opinions from you guys.

Since I only have about $1000 to spend that means nothing too crazy like a supercharger. I'm looking for something that's street legal in in California. Something that either adds performance or makes good sound, having both is better. And of course, a product that it's proven to be safe for the car. My TSX is a car that I'm planning to drive for the next 5-7yrs.

Also, I would need somebody to install the parts. Heeltoe would probably be my number one choice since they got good reviews and they are only about 15 minutes away from me.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
For about $1000, I imagine you could get all these things brand new..and together you will certainly have a very different, faster car. Heres the prices off the top of my head and you could look for a used intake to save some money. Very exciting stuff man to have a grand to blow on your ride. Keep us posted and use the search function if you want to research any of these items.

Link to where to buy this stuff
http://throwdownperformance.com/inde...11425fc4136484

1) Intake $250
2) Down Pipe $250
3) Fuel Rail $130
4) Throttle Body spacer with gasket $90
5) Thermal Intake manifold gasket $40
6) Underdrive Pulleys $250
The following 2 users liked this post by ttk5:
JackRydden224 (10-18-2011), Throwdown (10-18-2011)
Old 10-17-2011, 10:18 PM
You see me, I CU2

Received 358 Likes on 284 Posts
7) Universal Mufflers to make a custom setup A'pexi W/S, Tanabe Super Medallion, HKS HI-Power, Magnaflow, Borla, etc
The following users liked this post:
JackRydden224 (10-18-2011)
Old 10-17-2011, 11:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
talk to heeltoe, tell marcus you have a grand to blow, and what kind of package he could put together for your car. im sure he'd work out something nice for you
JackRydden224 (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 12:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
No offense, but if you're 25 and it takes you 8 weeks to make $1,000, perhaps you should save it rather than blowing it (no pun intended) on your car... just sayin'.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:55 AM
not superchaged

Originally Posted by MrOtocinclus
No offense, but if you're 25 and it takes you 8 weeks to make $1,000, perhaps you should save it rather than blowing it (no pun intended) on your car... just sayin'.
None taken. I actually get $1800 in eight weeks for taking care of an elderly couples who can't fix their own food. This is why I called it a part time job (okay, maybe a side job would have been better). My day job pays a lot more which is how I can afford the TSX in the first place. I don't want to use the money from my day job on car parts because I deem it unnecessary and because I'm saving money to buy a house.

Talking to Marcus seems like a good idea Pyro Dave. I to like some of the items ttk5 listed so I'll talk to Marcus to see what he can put together for me.

What mods have you guys done that you would personally recommend?
Old 10-18-2011, 08:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
It depends on what you want. different mods that equal a grand or something that costs a grand.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:51 AM
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by kowloonsniperhk
It depends on what you want. different mods that equal a grand or something that costs a grand.

Agreed! You could put almost all of that into lowering your car, or on wheels and tires. And depends on what you call performance on what you would do there cause, I think suspension and handling is a huge part of that and you could blow a grand on coils/springs, camber kit, and front and rear sway bars.

This may have been posted but I have over read it. Are you running on the I4 or V6?
Old 10-18-2011, 09:17 AM
You see me, I CU2

Received 358 Likes on 284 Posts
Upgraded suspension = Feels Fast which is as good or almost as good as buying bolt-ons to be fast
Old 10-18-2011, 09:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
None taken. I actually get $1800 in eight weeks for taking care of an elderly couples who can't fix their own food. This is why I called it a part time job (okay, maybe a side job would have been better). My day job pays a lot more which is how I can afford the TSX in the first place. I don't want to use the money from my day job on car parts because I deem it unnecessary and because I'm saving money to buy a house.
Awesome. In that case, I recommend the CT-E icebox intake, with the CF lid removed. You get performance and sound for ~$500, legal in CA. You could then use the remaining money on springs, which like Mr. NC said can really make a difference in feel when driving fast.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:41 AM
not superchaged

Originally Posted by kowloonsniperhk
Both are possible options. If I can find a good part for that price then maybe that part will be the one and only thing I get. The CT-E Cat Back that no one has bought, heard or seen is about 1 K I believe. Maybe I'll contact Rob and jump on it for the rest of you folks

Originally Posted by saucy
Agreed! You could put almost all of that into lowering your car, or on wheels and tires. And depends on what you call performance on what you would do there cause, I think suspension and handling is a huge part of that and you could blow a grand on coils/springs, camber kit, and front and rear sway bars.

This may have been posted but I have over read it. Are you running on the I4 or V6?
Lowering is out of the question since on a daily basis I drive through some places that scrapes the bottom of my front bumper. Unfortunately there is no way to avoid this besides getting a new job LOL. I'm also very satisfied with the way the car handles and rides. By performance I meant something that either makes the car go faster, sound better or both.

I am running the I4 W/5spd.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ttk5
For about $1000, I imagine you could get all these things brand new..and together you will certainly have a very different, faster car. Heres the prices off the top of my head and you could look for a used intake to save some money. Very exciting stuff man to have a grand to blow on your ride. Keep us posted and use the search function if you want to research any of these items.

Link to where to buy this stuff
http://throwdownperformance.com/inde...11425fc4136484

1) Intake $250
2) Down Pipe $250
3) Fuel Rail $130
4) Throttle Body spacer with gasket $90
5) Thermal Intake manifold gasket $40
6) Underdrive Pulleys $250
Thanks!

Only other thing to add would be ported intake runners.

Then of course there is suspension, wheels, chassis braces/sway bar, etc. Don't hesitate to PM or email us with any questions!
Old 10-18-2011, 01:48 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
i see you are in the OC, you can spend those money on a nice set of forged wheels.

have i mention i am selling a set of work emotions and you should really check it out?

haha if you have 1k to blow. i'd go with coilovers. or if you want engine mod, then intake, downpipe, ported runner.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
Everything I listed out for you in my post are all performance mods that will create more power.

If you are more into making your car LOOK nicer, than discard everything I said.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:54 PM
not superchaged

Originally Posted by ttk5
Everything I listed out for you in my post are all performance mods that will create more power.

If you are more into making your car LOOK nicer, than discard everything I said.
I appreciate that. I'm already looking into the stuff you listed. Right now I'm searching the two different types of intake, Icebox vs Injen/Takeda. I'm looking checking to see if the down pipe will effect the exhaust options I have in the future. Meaning what happens to the downpipe if I ever get the money for a CT-E or Mugen?

Ed, whileI'm not looking to make my car look different at this point I do believe that you have either a Takeda or Injen CAI on your car. You think one of those days we can meet up in SoCal for in'n out and let me hear how your car sounds? Burger is on me of course.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:47 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

I appreciate that. I'm already looking into the stuff you listed. Right now I'm searching the two different types of intake, Icebox vs Injen/Takeda. I'm looking checking to see if the down pipe will effect the exhaust options I have in the future. Meaning what happens to the downpipe if I ever get the money for a CT-E or Mugen?

Ed, whileI'm not looking to make my car look different at this point I do believe that you have either a Takeda or Injen CAI on your car. You think one of those days we can meet up in SoCal for in'n out and let me hear how your car sounds? Burger is on me of course.
i have an injen cai. and def man, but just FYI since im in LA i hardly head up to OC, but when i do and i know ahead of time, i'll let you know

also keep in mind that once rainly season hits, ima switch to SRI.

i tried recording it with my camera, but the sound quality just goes down the drain so its not worth recording it haha
Old 10-19-2011, 01:19 AM
not superchaged

Originally Posted by ed_423
i have an injen cai. and def man, but just FYI since im in LA i hardly head up to OC, but when i do and i know ahead of time, i'll let you know

also keep in mind that once rainly season hits, ima switch to SRI.

i tried recording it with my camera, but the sound quality just goes down the drain so its not worth recording it haha
Would you happen to be in the Rowland Heights area?

After some extensive reading on the CT-E's icebox I think that's what I'll go with. A couple of folks here said that it makes a more refined sound when it kicks in and during normal cruising it's stock-like.

Now I research the down pipe
Old 10-19-2011, 01:44 AM
not superchaged

After some extensive reading on the CT-E's icebox I think that's what I'll go with. A couple of folks here said that it makes a more refined sound when it kicks in and during normal cruising it's stock-like.

UPDATE: The down pipe looks good, too. Now I wait to see what Rob can do on the CT-E exhaust. It might come down to Icebox + Down Pipe or CT-E.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Just some info to help on the downpipe - it was designed with an OEM exhaust (since not many aftermarket exhausts really exist for the i4 at this time). Any aftermarket exhaust piece that would bolt up to the stock downpipe/cat should not have an issue with the P2R unless it has an different set-up.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:47 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

haha im KINDA near there lol.

and good choice on ct-e's. i'd love to have that over my injen, but coudlnt justify the cost

FYI we are also getting a high flow pre cat and a precat delete(?) soon from another vendor here.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
I would recommend an intake, pulleys, and thermal gaskets if you want power-adders. We are also working on an exhaust pipe that eliminates the secondary cat and front pipe. Give me a call or send me a PM to discuss your options further.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:01 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
hows the downpipe coming along xlr8?
Old 10-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts
I am still pending my oem cat to be returned, they stated they would try to get on completing this, as emissions are rolling around and I do not want to fail.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:21 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
I'd save the money, then get a hooker and a room in Savannah, GA on River Street...St Patrick's day weekend...

ed_423 (10-21-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Lightweight rims and tires....though a quality set may not be under a grand, you can accelerate and brake faster, better than you think if you haven't ever lightened up your wheels.

If you get something you like, you get both looks and performance.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:02 AM
not superchaged

Part of the money came in already....but that's going to a new phone that I need badly.

I think I might wait on the down pipe. Intake first. Exciting stuff.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
you can bolt on all the intake, exhaust, stuff you want and you'll make *insignificant* power gains. they make a lot of noise and sound "cool" if you want that.. to everyone over 35 you'll just look like another ricer...

if you mod your suspension, you will feel substantial changes in how you car handles vs stock for not a lot of money.

if I were you, and had $1000.. i'd focus on suspension. a nice set of shocks/springs/sway bars will transform how your car corners. literally.

go to www.shox.com... i've bought most of my suspension stuff from them, they are a huge wholesale place... cheap prices. i have no affiliation to them other than having bought from them... if you find it cheaper via google... let us know where.

a set of eibach springs and some adjustable shocks Koni sports would run you about $750 + install. you could do that with your $1000 budget.

your car woudl be lower... but not slammed. it would ride firmer, handle GREAT. if you really want to save some money, install it yourself or find a friend who knows how to do it, buy them a pile of beer and pizza and make a saturday out of it. it's NOT hard to install. you just need to know how and some basic tools.

if you won't lower your car, add sway bars. you can get a set of those for $500 and then install is easily under your budget. that will give you better cornering, much flatter... and your ride won't change, nor will ride height.

if you really want to go cheap, add the rear sway bar only. on a FWD car, adding just a rear sway bar will drastically change how yoru car corners... drastically.

strut bars will help with turn in... if you put a front strut bar on youw illn otice your car turns into turns better... it will feel flatter and tighter...

you'd enjoy the sway bars more than the intake/exhuast. a TSX with shocks/springs/sways would run circles around a TSX that has intake/exhaust but stock suspension.... hit the twisties and you'd blow them away...

in a drag race.. even a TSX with all those bolt ons would barely pull on you... it would make more of a difference who had a passenger or a full tank of gas...

spend the money on suspension - you will get bang for your buck.

finally.. if your tires are close to needing replacement.. consider just putting great tires on your car. the OEM tires Acura puts on these cars sucks. throw on some Michelin PS2s or Super sports and your car will corner infinitely better b/c of the tires.

tires are the number one place to change how yoru car rides/handles... then go to suspension.. if your tires are good and you want to use them up befroe you replace, then do the suspension now and tires later.

good luck.
The following 5 users liked this post by 23109VC:
Aretardedorange (10-28-2011), BLKOUT714 (12-26-2011), HonestAbe059 (11-22-2011), Mr_Brizuela (05-25-2012), ttk5 (10-27-2011)