AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TSX Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics & Navigation (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-304/)
-   -   Temperature Gauge? (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-304/temperature-gauge-933227/)

ntrainer 07-06-2015 10:36 AM

Temperature Gauge?

Anybody else have a wildly inaccurate (exterior) temperature gauge? I've really started noticing this summer as I drive our new-to-me TSX Wagon that it's anywhere from 2-5 degrees off. Sometimes it's high, sometimes low... just not accurate.

Asked the dealership during our "A" service to take a look at it and they claimed they "recalibrated" the temperature gauge. Doesn't seem any better to me. I'm likely going back to have them replace it, since it should be under warranty, but I'm just asking: Anybody else have this issue? Is this car just plagued with an inaccurate temperature gauge? Or is it worth an hour of my time to get it replaced?

leo200617 07-06-2015 03:46 PM

Can you describe how inaccurate the temperature readout is? (During what situation?) How do you compare the real temperature vs. the temperature readout of the car? Is it in Fahrenheit or Celsius? A couple degrees Celsius off is more problematic.

ntrainer 07-06-2015 07:13 PM

The reading is often off by as much as 5-7 degrees Fahrenheit. Example: When I retrieved it from the service department, the car had been baking in the (cloudy) sun and told me it was 88 degrees outside. Weather.com told me it was 81. Within 20 minutes of driving (home), we were down to 75 degrees, when (at home) it was actually 79 degrees.

So it's not consistently "hot" or consistently "cold." Just consistently wrong.

iCrap 07-06-2015 11:48 PM

you can adjust it in the settings... put it in park and i think you just hold the I button until it comes up with some settings. I got into that menu once.

Mine seems fairly accurate. It's never accurate when the car has been sitting for a while but after 5 minute or so its just right.

ntrainer 07-07-2015 05:32 AM

How will "adjusting" the gauge help if sometimes it's high and sometimes it's low? I have a feeling this is what they did at the dealership. They took "x" and made it "x+2." Didn't work.

ssjoeboe9 07-07-2015 10:08 AM

Whats the I button?

ntrainer 07-07-2015 10:57 AM

Yeah, I don't understand that, either. Went through all possible menus and there wasn't a way for me to adjust the temperature reading.

ceb 07-07-2015 12:11 PM

The sensor is behind the bumper. Tarmac reflects heat and causes the sensor to read high because the temps are higher there.

Once driving, the airflow cools it down - sometimes a bit lower than the ambient temps.

To check how accurate the sensor is, park your car in a garage overnight. Put a thermometer that you know is accurate on the front bumper. Let the car and the thermometer sit overnight.

Check the thermometer and start the car. How accurate is your sensor?

iCrap 07-07-2015 09:16 PM

The I button... the thing with the big I on it. I dont know how else to describe it lol. It's in the same menu where you adjust your headlight auto off and interior light auto off

leo200617 07-07-2015 11:16 PM

What I would do to determine if it is broken or not, I would use a digital thermometer, and compare the temperature just after driving the car (or while driving it). Using weather.com as a source is good but won't be very precise (There might be small temperature variations between 2 locations even if they are just a mile away). You will get the exact local temperature using a digital thermometer and then the comparison would be fair.

If the readings are still off by a couple degrees, I would say to just live with it. There's not much adjustment you could do except setting it like T=T+2 in the MID settings.

ceb 07-08-2015 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by leo200617 (Post 15488398)
What I would do to determine if it is broken or not, I would use a digital thermometer, and compare the temperature just after driving the car (or while driving it). Using weather.com as a source is good but won't be very precise (There might be small temperature variations between 2 locations even if they are just a mile away). You will get the exact local temperature using a digital thermometer and then the comparison would be fair.

If the readings are still off by a couple degrees, I would say to just live with it. There's not much adjustment you could do except setting it like T=T+2 in the MID settings.

Not quite right. The car's sensor is near the ground and affected by reflected heat. Read my post above that describes the proper way of checking.

ssjoeboe9 07-08-2015 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by iCrap (Post 15488318)
The I button... the thing with the big I on it. I dont know how else to describe it lol. It's in the same menu where you adjust your headlight auto off and interior light auto off

show me a pic

xtcnrice 07-08-2015 10:03 AM

It's on your steering wheel, like the opposite side to where the HFL buttons go. It's an "i" that looks like the symbol you see at shopping malls and stuff that represents the information desk IIRC.

Basically the button you press to get to additional information on your MID, like showing the exact PSI of each tire, or showing the oil life %, etc.

icu2tsx 07-08-2015 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by ntrainer (Post 15487249)
The reading is often off by as much as 5-7 degrees Fahrenheit. Example: When I retrieved it from the service department, the car had been baking in the (cloudy) sun and told me it was 88 degrees outside. Weather.com told me it was 81. Within 20 minutes of driving (home), we were down to 75 degrees, when (at home) it was actually 79 degrees.

So it's not consistently "hot" or consistently "cold." Just consistently wrong.

I have 3 vehicles (Hyundai, Subaru, Acura) and all 3 give me different outside temp readings and never really the same temp as weather.com or yahoo weather.

As mention by others the car will read different temperatures depending on exposure to different ambient. Example: Hyundai is my company work car, as soon as I get home from work I will swap cars and take the Tsx or Forester to run errands. Hyundai will read outside temp as 98, weather.com says 94. As soon as I swap cars and take the TSX out from garage, Tsx temp reads 90, after a few min on the road it reads 96-98. :2cents:

cu2wagon 07-10-2015 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by ssjoeboe9 (Post 15488595)
show me a pic

Originally Posted by xtcnrice (Post 15488645)
It's on your steering wheel, like the opposite side to where the HFL buttons go. It's an "i" that looks like the symbol you see at shopping malls and stuff that represents the information desk IIRC.

Basically the button you press to get to additional information on your MID, like showing the exact PSI of each tire, or showing the oil life %, etc.

Steering wheel, right hand side, about 4:00 in the center area. Up Arrow / "I" button:
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...3059264526.jpg