Replacing Tech Speakers - Factory Amp

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 01:04 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Tech Speakers - Factory Amp

Hi All,
First off, I've done a ton of searching on various Acura forums and can't find the exact information I'm looking for.

I just purchased a used 2009 TSX with the Tech Package and have the dreaded "blown speakers" issue (seems to be both front speakers). I don't think I'll be able to talk the dealer I purchased from into replacing them, and not so sure I want to keep replacing bad apples with bad apples... As much as I would love to put in a high-end sound system, I'm going to be budget restricted so I'd like to just retain the factory amp and replace the stock speakers. I've read that the "highs" can be a little much with aftermarket speakers, but for now I'm just going to have to deal with it.
What I'm trying to find out is the best way to install the aftermarket speakers bracket-wise. If I order a pair of 6.5" components from Crutchfield (say the Polk db6501's), will the bracket/adapter Crutchfield supplies work? I thought I had read that there are no aftermarket adapters, but I don't think Crutchfield would be sending the speakers out with no way to install them.
If I wanted to make my own bracket (like mercman did in his thread), how difficult is that? I have all of the tools, I've just never made them before. How do I make the right size and shape? Using the stock speaker as a template?
I see that a lot of people upgrade to Alpine Type S or Type R speakers, do these fit better in our car? I had Type R speakers in my old Integra years ago and loved them. But I know I'm restricted by my amp and don't want to "overbuy." Any general recommendations on speakers would be much appreciated, as far as fit and amp restrictions go.
Finally, any tips or tricks on how to install the crossover and tweeters? Will aftermarket tweeters fit behind the stock grille? Do the crossovers need to be installed or does the factory amp take care of that, I couldn't tell from the threads I read through? This may be a really dumb question, so I apologize in advance.
I know that is a ton of information, I just want to get the best I can given my factory amp and minimize frustration once I start pulling the doors apart and installing the speakers...
Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 12-27-2012, 01:07 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, for the formatting... meant to break it up better. I can't go back and edit though, still a newb.