Replacement Speaker Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 12:29 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replacement Speaker Issues

Hello, I have an 09 Tech w/Nav that the factory speakers were bad. I replaced the fronts with a set of Infinity Primus 6.5" components and I replaced the rear door speakers with a set of the same speakers but coax. The speakers are rated at 3 ohms. Everything sounded great at first, but then the rear doors, sub, and center all shut off (front doors and rear deck still work). Reinstalled the factory speakers in the rear doors and it started working again. Moved the new coax speakers to the rear deck and it worked fine for a while, then the front doors and rear deck shut off. Disconnected the new coax from the rear and the front doors came back on. At this point I'm assuming I got a bad set of coaxials, but they still ohm out at 3 ohms when removed. Anybody have any thoughts?
The factory speakers are 2 ohm so the factory amps shouldn't have any problems running 3 ohm speakers? I'm going to try hooking up the new speakers one at a time and see if I can tell if just one of the speaker is bad.
Thanks in advance
-Sam
Old 05-22-2017, 09:21 AM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Figured out the problem, don't really want to admit what was wrong but it might help someone else in the future. The speaker terminal was contacting the door frame and grounding out. Had to clock the speaker differently and it solved the issue.
The following users liked this post:
Lewal (10-15-2019)