I miss my subwoofer so much! Any tutorials on running power+remote?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 02:25 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I miss my subwoofer so much! Any tutorials on running power+remote?

I have to get my sub back. I cannot seem to find any tutorials to run the power from the battery to the trunk as well as the remote wire. Anyone know how to do this, or why I can find a nice tutorial that will hold my hand and walk me through it?

Thank you!
Old 11-28-2016, 10:39 AM
Racer

The best tutorial I have found yet is from here: https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-...-guide-873391/

Is below the method that everyone uses? Looks like there is a gromet near the brake pedal. The hard part sounds like I need another person there as the power cable will run into a box which I have to angle the cable in to allow the cable to exit this box.

[Firewall] This part was honestly the hardest part. You will want a friend to help you for this. So here is what I did. There is a hole with a rubber grommet right behind the brake pedal. Take the grommet out and drill a hole into it with your Dremel. Make sure to cut it just a tad bit smaller than the 4 gauge wire to help make the wire seal better. Here is the tricky part, essentially that hole leads to a box, that’s right a fkn box. This box has one hole in it, but it is clearly visible by shining a flashlight into the role. It is directly to the right when your inspecting the hole from inside of the car. So this may sound ghetto, but I took a BBQ Skewer and pushed it through both holes, pointy end first. I had my buddy with me to assist me with the next step. Get your power wire and feed it down to where the skewer is poking out, hold an end up to it, and have your best friend push hard to lodge the skewer into the power wire. Now carefully bend the skewer 40 degrees in order to push it through the first hole straights. Otherwise you will be trying to push the hard wire with a 4gauge wire into a hole at an angle, which is impossibly, do the physics Im right. Once you get the wire through make sure your buddy is still gently applying pressure so that your wire does not slip off. Gently and carefully feed the wire through the hole and have your friend pull it out from inside the cabin. Tadaa!! No run your wire all the way to the trunk along the driver side floor trim panel. Hook up the wire to the battery, try not to unplug the battery if you do not know your Head Unit code (My code was on a sticker inside my glovebox. However, I did the entire install with the battery plugged in. (DO NOT PUT FUSE IN UNTILL YOU ARE COMPLETELY DONE WITH INSTALL).
Old 11-28-2016, 10:42 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
there are many ways to skin a cat!

there are many firewall grommets you can use, additionally, you could fish wires through hood and door.
if one way is too hard or requires another set of hands, see if you can fish it through another way.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:12 AM
Racer

I like your thinking I'll see what I can find!
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 11:27 AM

i know ive done the install on other cars other than Acura's that had me thinking of other ways to go through, as the firewall was blocked and I didnt want to drill.
I ended up going through hood and then left(drivers) door. if you notice, there are factory wire looms that go through hood and door anyway

and then you can cover up any part of the aftermarket wire by covering it with a black "wire sleeve/cover"
Old 12-03-2016, 06:07 PM
Racer

Did the install today. Used the large gromet on the passenger side that had a tight wad of wires running through it. Poked a hole in it and ran the 8 gauge wire very nicely (its a modest amp). It showed up on the driver side floor. Ran it clean to the rear. Tapped into the white wire that goes into the factory amp as stated in the previous tutorial. All in all was a great success I've got my subwoofer back!

PS - In the tuorial I posted before, he uses a "gromet" on the driver side. That gromet is what the clutch presses against when it bottoms out lol.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 06:48 PM

awesome!! glad you got it through the passenger grommet

Old 12-14-2016, 11:21 AM
Racer

I have been experimenting with which speaker to tap into. At first I tapped into the rear deck speaker (similar to a 6x9), and thought that at high volume it the bass went away, while at lower to mid level volume it performed great. I tapped into the factory sub and the results were awful. There is no bass at high levels. One note, I had to turn the gain way up on this setup vs on my old car at about 75% gain it hit fantastic. Im scratching that off due to the way that the head unit sends the signal (throttling) to the speakers.

I have a LOC converter that I was considering using (since it has a gain on it as well) to see how it performs. I'm going tap back into the 6x9 style speaker. Does anyone know if there is a realistic way to get an all frequency signal to the aftermarket amp (then the amp will pick what it wants to send to the sub)?