G-003: DI: Independent fog lights from headlights mod -> Pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 01:18 PM
im baaaack!!

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
No there are fog light wiring kits available plug and play that do the same. Just didnt know if you guys use the factory wiring or just rewired all together like a foglight wiring kit.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome! Did you also put your DRLs on a switch to turn them off?

thanks again for the diagram. I will have guy i know help me with this, hopefully this weekend.

Just one suggestion though. i was doing some research on this and found how others had done it on their cars. a few times i came across people saying that it is not good practice to have the switch in your dash with the positive live wire running to it. Instead, go directly from the battery to fuse to relay (terminal 30). and place the switch on on the wire going to the windshield wipers (relay terminal 85), since that only carries the signal for the relay.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts
why is it not a good practice to have the positive live wire in the dash? fire hazard?
Old 11-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Gets bored easily

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hjahmad
Awesome! Did you also put your DRLs on a switch to turn them off?
I pulled the fuse for the DRLs. I never wanted them on, and much easier than installing a switch.

Just one suggestion though. i was doing some research on this and found how others had done it on their cars. a few times i came across people saying that it is not good practice to have the switch in your dash with the positive live wire running to it. Instead, go directly from the battery to fuse to relay (terminal 30). and place the switch on on the wire going to the windshield wipers (relay terminal 85), since that only carries the signal for the relay.
That's exactly how this DIY is written up...
Old 11-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Racer

I attempted this and glad to say it works. though i still have some work to do.

ill try to get some pics upload soon

i didnt follow the diagram exactly but it works. Instead of connecting terminal 87 of the relay to both driver's side and passenger's side fuse boxes for the fog light power, i directly taped into the wiring next to the driver side fog light. and from there wired the passenger side fog light.

the battery main power was taken from the fuse box, there are 2 screws on the button right hand side of the fuse box which have a red coating. i wired the main power from there to the inline fuse then to terminal 30 of the relay.

next i grounded the relay with terminal 86.

this brought up the first issue. Right when i grounded it, the lights turned on. before i put in the switch on terminal 85 and connected it to wipers.
i knew right away this would be an issue. the guy i was working with did not understand so continued on and wired the switch to terminal 85.

to test the system we connected the switch to directly to the battery. this way there would be the signal for the relay to turn on the power to terminal 87. however, once connected the lights turn off. when the switch was on, lights off, when switch was off lights off.

I had to spend the next 30 min, explaining why this is bad, cause the dud only wires speakers and assumes it worked properly.
the problem was that we were using terminal 87a for the fog lights. terminal 87 and terminal 87 are opposites of each other. i didnt think there was a difference between the 2 until looked at another relay diagram i had with me.
so:
when switch is on: 87=on ; 87a=off
when switch is off: 87=off ; 87a=on

quickly made the change to terminal 87 and it work properly.

unfortunately, i ran out of time so for now, terminal 85 is wired to the switch then directly back to the main battery power. so i still need to be careful to hit the switch so i do not drain the battery.

Questions:
1) where is a good place to run the wiring through the firewall?
2) how do i open the dash underneath the steering wheel, door side, to gain access to the blank switch panels located next to the VSA button?
3) where is a good connection to wire to terminal 85, a power source which turns off when the ignition is off? i have read the wiper relay is a good option, but i have no idea where that is. Is there anything underneath the dash that would work? then i would not need to run a wire from the switch back in to the engine bay.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Gets bored easily

Questions:
1) where is a good place to run the wiring through the firewall?
2) how do i open the dash underneath the steering wheel, door side, to gain access to the blank switch panels located next to the VSA button?
3) where is a good connection to wire to terminal 85, a power source which turns off when the ignition is off? i have read the wiper relay is a good option, but i have no idea where that is. Is there anything underneath the dash that would work? then i would not need to run a wire from the switch back in to the engine bay.
1) There are only two firewall grommets that I found - one is on the passenger side, roughly at dashboard height. The other is a bit lower IIRC, in the center of the firewall. I can't remember whether there's a 3rd grommet for the steering column, but for some reason I found that one to be entirely unusable if it exists (though it would've been my preference). In case you're not familiar, a "grommet" is a big rubber washer of sorts, which allows passage (for wires or tubes) from one compartment to another (engine to passenger, for ex.) while at the same time sealing both compartments. It was very difficult to get the wire through even the passenger side grommet - I had to remove the grommet from the firewall, cut a small slit in it, feed a few feet of wire through the slit, then tape the wire to a clothes hanger and feed that down through the hole in the firewall till I could grab it; and finally replace the grommet in the firewall.

3) The wiper relay is in the relay box under the hood. Look at your owner's manual for a diagram; but it's a box on the driver's side near the rear of the engine compartment. Open the box, and there's another diagram depicting all the relays in the box.

You don't need to physically run one wire into the passenger compartment and one wire back into the engine compartment; instead, run both wires at the same time. Better yet, use a relatively thick gauge speaker wire instead of "regular" automotive wiring - that comes in a pre-stuck-together pair.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Racer

Is it better to go through on of the preexisting holes in the firewall or maybe drill another one?
I i do use the passenger side grommet, how easy is it to get from there to wire it to the switch next to the VSA button.

Ok, ill look for the wire relay. how would connect it thought? just jam it in a slot with a relay terminal?

i know i can run both at once. But is there an electrical source, located in the dash, that i can tap into to substitute the use of the wiper relay? a power source which turns off when the ignition is off.

thanks for the help!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Drifting

http://www.flickr.com/photos/defcon008/6723522455/http://www.flickr.com/photos/defcon008/6723522455/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/defcon008/, on Flickr
Old 01-20-2012, 10:51 AM
Racer

thanks man,
i have it all done, but i can't figure out the wiper relay. anyone got pics on how and where its connected?
Old 01-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Drifting

heres the windshield wiper relay on the driver side fuse box

just splice the wire, fold it and stick it in there. you dont need to use any male nor female connector.

Name:  DSCN0379.jpg
Views: 1408
Size:  95.1 KB
Old 01-20-2012, 12:50 PM
TSX 6MT 11 / MDX Tech 14

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I just found this thread and it gave me an idea:
How about to connect a “add a mini fuse” from the side marker lights slot to the fog light slot. I believe by doing this my fog lights will be controlled by the lights control.
This is what I think needs to be done:
1. Get a “add a mini fuse from any auto part
2. Remove fuses (side marker fuse and fog light fuse)
3. Find out which side in the fog light slot goes to the actual fog light
4. Connect fog light fuse and side marker fuse to the add a mini fuse and connect it to the side marker fuse slot.
5. Connect cable side of the add a mini fuse to the fog light slot (to the cable that goes to the actual fog light as determined on step 3)
6. Test and hope the car doesn’t get fire!!!!!! LOL
Any thought?
Here is a link of the add a mini fuse so you’ve a better idea of what I’m talking about:
Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
Joe Foe from Buffalo (04-12-2021)
Old 02-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Racer

So i finally completed this mod.
i placed the switch in the right place, the wires are still running through the door, and i will move those later.
i moved the relay wire off of the battery and onto the wiper motor to prevent the lights from staying on when the car is off. i followed the pic by defcon

This morning i found that my AC fan is not working. and during my lunch break i checked the fuses and removed the relay wire. and now the fan is working again.

that doesnt make sense to me. what is the relation between the 2?
any ideas?
Old 02-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Drifting

So i finally completed this mod.
i placed the switch in the right place, the wires are still running through the door, and i will move those later.
i moved the relay wire off of the battery and onto the wiper motor to prevent the lights from staying on when the car is off. i followed the pic by defcon

This morning i found that my AC fan is not working. and during my lunch break i checked the fuses and removed the relay wire. and now the fan is working again.

that doesnt make sense to me. what is the relation between the 2?
any ideas?
i panicked when the AC wasnt working. i thought i fucked up the electricals

the solution to this is to pull the AC fuse in the driver side box by the gas pedals. then disconnect and reconnect your battery. start the engine and the AC should work again
Old 02-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Racer

yeah i went back in the thread and read what you did when it happened to you.
thanks
i will try it when i get a chance, but im also gonna play with it a little bit to see if there is anywhere i can connect the wire.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:54 AM
Drifting

cool beans.

good luck man
Old 03-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Racer

got mine working. i took the fuse out but that did not make any different for me.
i realized, that the relay i was using, and defcon according his pic. is not the wiper really, its for the fan. i don't know why i missed that. i kept testing the wiper to see if the connection was good.
the issue i was having is the connection of the relay. while the fogs were working, the wire was not allowing the relay to sit properly. forced it in and now everything works.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Drifting

got mine working. i took the fuse out but that did not make any different for me.
i realized, that the relay i was using, and defcon according his pic. is not the wiper really, its for the fan. i don't know why i missed that. i kept testing the wiper to see if the connection was good.
the issue i was having is the connection of the relay. while the fogs were working, the wire was not allowing the relay to sit properly. forced it in and now everything works.
lol so you were looking at the pic upside down?

glad that its working bro.

welcome to the group #3
Old 07-26-2012, 08:17 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
thanks for the write up!
Old 07-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
hey 87MustangGT are you still in derby ct ? do you think you can help me with this mod whenever your free if u wanna charge let me know how much im in ansonia alot
Old 07-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Gets bored easily

I'm still in the Valley, but out of the Acura game as of this week. I've got a ton on my plate in the coming weeks...if you really can't figure it out on your own I can maybe find some time relatively soon, but I'd say give it a shot - or two- yourself first. The DIY is pretty good, and the only way you'll learn is to do
Old 07-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
ill try it out kinda scared to mess something up lol but it is a good write up though
Old 08-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Drifting

Received 657 Likes on 478 Posts
I'd be willing to pay as well, lol. I hate messing with electricals. I've always wondered why Acura didn't just make the fog lights independent in the first place.. it's pretty stupid.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:27 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Thy Switch

Great post guys! I just can't help thinking what if we could add one of these and how would that (if possible) be done.???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2008-HO...77ba42&vxp=mtr

Last edited by xakeo; 11-10-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Drifting

Received 1,000 Likes on 712 Posts
2 of the pins would be for the light inside the switch and the other 3 would be for turning the lights on and off. Too lazy to dig into the wiring but it should be pretty simple
Old 11-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
So if you leave the new switch in the on position, you can still control the fogs from the wiper switch?
Old 11-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Instructor

^^ nevermind
Old 11-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Instructor

This actually seems like a fairly easy mod and I'm def adding to my list.

Question is, if I want the fogs on anytime the car is on and I don't care about switching the fogs on and off, then I don't need to install a switch?

Second, what's the purpose of adding a relay? Couldn't I just run a wire from the positive of the WW relay to the positive of each fog light?
Old 11-20-2012, 02:20 PM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
i have some diodes that allow 2 power sources to 1 circuit.
so i could have 2 different ways to turn on my fogs.

1 - with the stalk
2- with a switch

I have like 8 of them i might be tempted to sell some if it makes it easier/
Old 11-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
i wish i knew what half of this meant. rofl
it looks like its a lot of work just to get independent fogs...

i would like this option but damn.. i have no idea whats going on in this thread.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Instructor

Looking through the manual to find the wiper relay, and according to the manual, the under hood relay that everyone connected to is for the blower motor. I can't get the pic to upload.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Asian Candy
Looking through the manual to find the wiper relay, and according to the manual, the under hood relay that everyone connected to is for the blower motor. I can't get the pic to upload.

yeah, mine is not connected to the wiper relay. i had the same issue with the diagrams. my setup is actually connected to the AC Fan (not sure if that is the blower motor). I had issues with sticking the wire under the relay. the Fog lights would work, but the next morning, i noticed that the fan on the AC unit stopped working. It was only because i the relay wasnt sitting properly. I forced it down further, and now it works.

either way, it should work. the wire could be connected to anything that will turn off once the ignition is off, to prevent the lights from being left on.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Racer

My setup is wired differently than others i have seen here. I havent gotten a chance to upload pics and create a wiring diagram. I wont have my car this weekend, and since im bored at work today, i hand drew my setup, and ill try to explain it.

Lets start with the relay. Relays have 5 pins on them, labeled, 87, 87A, 86, 85, 30.
I bought one of these to make it easier to connect the wires instead of directly wiring to the pins.
Amazon Amazon

Pin 30 is where the main battery is connected. and its good to have a fuse inline, just like with every other system on the car. This is shown with +W3 and +W4. Others have placed the in dash switch between the fuse and the relay pin 30. however, i chose not too.

Pin 86, is used as the signal source of relay. the relay will dictate is functionality depending on the signal from this pin. Here is where i placed my in-dash switch, connected to Pin 86 with +W5. then from the switch, you are free to chose any signal source from the car. Many chose the wiper relay. mine is connected to the AC fan relay located in the underhood fuse box. The AC fan only turns on when the key is in the ON position. When off, the whole relay, and lights are off, no matter what position the switch is in.
I currently have the cables running through panels infront of the drivers side door and are visible when the door is open. I plan to connect the wire from the switch to the signal source to something located inside the car, so i would only have to run one cable from the hood to the inside.

Pin 85 is ground. Self explanatory. I connected it to ground cable connected to the frame, located in the middle, near the top of the drivers side front quarter panel above the wheel area. just unscrew the current wire a little, and add the new ground cable.

Pin 87 and 87A are the outputs of the relay. Pin 87 is on when there is a power source to Pin 30 and a signal source to Pin 86. Pin 87A is reversed. Pin 87A is on when there is a power source to Pin 30 and NO signal coming from Pin 86. you dont want to use Pin 87A, for this application atleast.

Pin 87 is connected to the fog lights in parallel. you can run the wire , +W2 and +W1 to the fog lights and connect them to the stock positive wires in each of the foglight harnesses. I didnt want to mess with the stock wiring, so i tapped into the wire harness that come with the HID kits. if you dont use HIDs, you can get some H11 harness extensions and tap into those (http://www.ebay.com/itm/H11-H8-Wirin...265cf9&vxp=mtr)
Instead of splitting the wire for both foglights from Pin 87, I ended up connected Pin 87 directly to the drivers side foglight stock + wire with +W1. There i also connected +W2, which then connects to the passenger Fog light stock + wire. This was easier since i could easily run the wire underneath the car.

Hope this helps. Ill see what pictures i do have, or ill take more next week, and place them into this post to make it easier to follow.
cbasssssss (07-01-2015)
Old 11-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Instructor

where did everyone get the relay from? I went to auto zone and only saw one 5 pin, but it didn't have those numbers. I realized after I wired everything up that the relay was for blinkers. So my fogs were flashing on and off. lol Otherwise, everything worked fine and was a pretty easy to do.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Asian Candy
where did everyone get the relay from? I went to auto zone and only saw one 5 pin, but it didn't have those numbers. I realized after I wired everything up that the relay was for blinkers. So my fogs were flashing on and off. lol Otherwise, everything worked fine and was a pretty easy to do.
Im not sure if this is the same one that I got. But will work
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I want to do this mod myself and I did it on my 1G TSX, no problem. On this model, it seems more confusing though, so I haven't tackled it yet. Is it possible to tap into the fog light signal stalk instead of running wires to the actual fog light harness under the car. I just want to be able to turn the foglights from the switch when I turn the parking lights on.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:03 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
I'm not sure why you'd want to go from your new relay in the engine bay, to the switch inside, back out to the engine bay to plug into the engine relay box. 1.) It used a lot more wire, 2.) I couldn't get the fogs to turn off when the car turned off, and 3.) if I ran a wire into the engine bay relay box then the lid wouldn't seat correctly on it, allowing dust/dirt to get in the gap over time.

So instead of taking the signal wire back out to the engine bay, I took it to the wiper 10A fuse (#4) in the driver's side inside fuse area. This was so much easier and the lights actually turned off when the car is off. Would have saved over an hour if I knew this ahead of time. Just sharing my thoughts from my install today.
Miyagi__ (05-01-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 162 Likes on 133 Posts
has anyone used the accord fog switch for an oem look?
if so, does anyone have the part #
Old 05-06-2013, 02:07 PM
2010 TSX

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
I'm just going to make my fogs into 30W LED DRL instead - they will be on when the car is on
....even when the high beams are on this way I get my high beams back and have cool, white, bright DRLs.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:06 AM
2010 TSX

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
DRL foglights finally.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:08 AM
8th Gear

Finally got around to doing the independent fog light mod. Using a fog light switch from my previous FG2. Fitment is not perfect, but I can deal with it for now.

Name:  Fog1.jpeg
Views: 1433
Size:  100.9 KB
Name:  Fog2.jpeg
Views: 1358
Size:  111.4 KB

Quick Reply: G-003: DI: Independent fog lights from headlights mod -> Pictures!