Audio upgrade advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 08:12 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio upgrade advice

Hey guys, Im in the process of getting the items i want for a sound system upgrade for my 06 tsx and wanted some some opinions on some of the items.

First of (this is my first post) i love my tsx, i have a black 06 auto w/navi. Im very happy with everything as a great daily driver, except the audio system. I would like the sound to be more clear, clear at high volumes, and more full.

I have done some poking around on these forums for a while and have come up with a list of things i want for the the car audio. So i think i want to go for doing the whole stereo, with a sound processor.

I like the Alpine PXE-H660 for a sound processor,
i like it for a few reasons,
-the price range, i am seeing them for around $250 online
-the auto adjusting mic, i read it does not give the best sound but i think it will at least get me going in the right direction with adjustments.
-the right number of lines for the setup i want

For the amp, i want a five channel amp. I want the Planet Audio AC1800.5. I like it because
-It is a good size for the space i am using
-It is a class AB amp, i understand class AB amps have better clarity
-I figure the rms watts to be round 200x1 @ 4 ohms and around 80x4 @ 4 ohms

For speakers i want to us Boston Acoustics SR60 6.5" up front, I like these because
-They have good reviews
-They are around the power level im looking at
-They are on sale on crutfield right now for $230

I plan on using the stock speakers in the rear doors, but still hooked up the the amp. If i find they dont cut it i will upgrade them later.

But I will be replacing the factory 6x9s in the rear shelf. For this i wanted to go with these Kicker 10CVT651. They are 6.5" free air woofers. I will use two of them. I like them because
-i can put them in the factory location with addapters
-they are free air
-Its one ohms eace speaker so that puts me at 2 ohms, its cheeper than the 4 ohm version that i would wire to 2ohms anyways.

Im going to be using dynomat on the doors and rear shelf area/trunk. I also will be using the honda accord 6.5" front door brackets, also i plan on testing the speakers with and without a boom mat baffle. Has anyone ese used a baffle like this? What was you experience?

So please, if anyone has any ideas or advice, let me know! One thing i am un assure of so far is if i want to grab audio for the sound processor after the factory amp (that i understand is in the dash behind the "not an ashtray") or befor the amp. Any advice there?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:17 PM
9th Gear

I was also thinking of letting the stock amp control the rear speakers, for the option to bridge the two front speakers.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:15 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I see a few problems with this plan.
Frist, you are in the wrong area, this is the 2nd gen TSX audio section.
No mater, I can help you. First, a sound processer is the last thing you should consider, as it will add more distortion to the signal. I can explain this in more detail but for now just take my word for it.
Your speaker choice, I have no issues with your speakers just you selection process, you should have said, I like the speakers because they sound great, not that they have great reviews. Reviews are meaningless especially with speakers.
Rear deck free air woofers, are not going to work well at all. The rear deck will rattle at even modest power levels plus. Also, I don’t know what the power rating is on the woofer but I doubt it will be able to handle 200w from the sub amp. Free air and high power just don’t go together.
I don’t know much about that amp but you should find something with balanced differential inputs if you want to connect it to the factory HU.
Using the factory amp with an aftermarket amp, this will only work if you take the speaker level outputs from the factory amp. This would leave the factory amp in the signal path adding distortion and equalization, not what you want.
I have lots of posts on 1st gen TSX audio mods, check them out, if you have question I’ll be happy to help.
Jeff
Old 04-15-2012, 05:19 PM
9th Gear

Thanks for your reply, Jeff

I understand this is the 2nd gen section, there is no 1st gen audio setion. Im sorry if this is still the wrong section.

Could you explain how a sound processer would add distortion? Do you mean it would be adding distortion compared to using an amp with balanced differential input? I thought balanced differential signal was to reduce interference. Like if i was a band setting up to play because i would have lots of signals running many directions very near high curent lines. I have no problem properly installing shielded rca lines and using these methods i have not had a problem with interference in previous instals. Does the TSX have its own specific interference problems?

The amp im shure does not have BDI. But i am not shure if the pxe-h660 would have it nor not, It would be interesting to see if alpine has plans to have BDI on an upcomming processor.

I have no way to listen to these speakers, this is why i have posted this, so maybe someone could say "speaker set X sounded like X in my tsx" or maybe "I used those speakers and they fell appart after 4 months". Reviews and sugestions is all i have. If i dont like the speakers i have no problem returning them for another product. I have also had very positive previous dealings with Boston Acoustics speakers.

RMS range of the free air woofers is 50-150 each. I have never used a free air woofer before, but i am trying to keep most of my trunk space. I am prepared to add a 10" sub if it comes to it but i was holding back on this untell i can get a preform sub for my car (as far as i have found there is none) A custom box is an option i am tring to avoid.

My plans to reduce rattles and unwanted noise in the rear deck is to remove the tortion springs and add dynamat. Any more options you know of? I have read the tsx deck has this problem and I am ready to fight the rattle battle. Am i going into a fight with no hope at all?

Thank you for your help, mercman, i have read quite a few posts from you on this forum as well as others, and know you know ur stuff!
Old 04-15-2012, 05:56 PM
9th Gear

Also, i was under the impression that the BD output of the factory HU was already altered. So wouldnt the best option be to have a BDI input into a sound processor then to amp?