2012 Sport Wagon, with tech - BT failure and radio oddities

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 05:48 PM
TRP
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Sport Wagon, with tech - BT failure and radio oddities

Hello,

I've had my 2012 TSX Sport Wagon for 14 days. With less than 700 miles on the car the Bluetooh HFL decided to drop parity. No biggie, there's a TSB for that.

Here is the odd thing:
After/while this happened all of my radio station presets were zeroed out. None of the 18 radio stations I had set in the presets were still present (6 FM and 12 XM). I couldn't browse past XM channel 70. I also noticed that the GPS had reverted back to 'North is up" mode. I specifically remember changing that in the set up, not two days before things went bonkers. For the phone, the correct speed dial entries were still listed in the phone menu, but the phone was not paired. Lame. Need a new HFL, but what's up with the radio!? Maybe related?

I drove to my kids school. Turned the car off, walked the kids to class, came back and started the car. Started to drive to work and noticed.. whoa... My presets were back, but the phone was still not pared. Odd... Drove to work. Called service dept. Got really bitchy. Went to the office and made an appointment to bring the car in at lunch.

FFWD to lunch time: I went to the car... started it... everything is back to normal. Phone is pared, stations are all there, etc.

How's that for a ghost in the machine?

Left the car with the dealer. Asked them to not return it until it's figured out. Driving an rdx. Wish the rdx motor was in my wagon!

Anyone else have this sort of experience with the radio? Best I could determine, maybe the car didn't 'load' driver1's profile when I started it this morning?

Ted

Last edited by TRP; 03-25-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:44 PM
TRP
Cruisin'

Okay - I just figured out what was / is wrong with my car.

Effectively - the car/computer isn't loading the "driver memory" settings reliably. If I start the car with Key 2, it loads the "Driver 2 settings" (keep in mind I have not set any of those memory settings up.) When I switch back to Driver 1's key.. the car keeps the driver settings loaded up for key 2. I have to take the key out/restart the motor (reboot the computer) as many as 3 to 4 times before it will repair the phone and reload the driver 1 settings. Because I have not set any of the settings for Driver 2, it appears that they are all "lost". If I had set the settings up, they would be stuck on the driver 2 settings. Make sense?

I reproduced this in front of the tech team(s) today. One of them complained that driver key 2 was too close to the vehicle and that's why it 'picked up' those settings. I had to remind him that these are not the RF keys of the MDX/RDX etc. They are the standard switchblade/bayonet keys of the TSX. He protested, so we left they key inside his office and walked out to the car... (*sigh*) and did it all over again. Sure enough... "Driver 2 loaded" with driver 1 key in the ignition.

They asked if I wanted to take the car!? I reminded them that I simply identified the issue they could not identify AND that it still wasn't fixed.

They have had the car since Monday (03/25/13).

Not sure what to do about it. It's not something I'm willing to simply live with. I mean, I paid for a car with many features. One of hose features (albeit a simple creature comfort) does not work as advertised.

Am I being unreasonable?

Ted
Old 03-29-2013, 09:57 AM
wagon owner

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Odd. Might make sense although a pita to use key 2 and program that with your phone and radio and seat settings to see if it holds key 2. Then just maybe use key 2 if it does? And ask them for a replacement key 1
Old 03-29-2013, 12:20 PM
TRP
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by kball
Odd. Might make sense although a pita to use key 2 and program that with your phone and radio and seat settings to see if it holds key 2. Then just maybe use key 2 if it does? And ask them for a replacement key 1
Yup, that's a good plan. If you want to be 100% sure, you could. You really don't to do this because once you use Key 2, and start the car the display reads "Driver 2 loaded". When you switch back to Key 1, for the first 3-4 starts after you use Key 2, the display still reads "Driver 2 loaded" - even though key 1 is being used.

At this point, I'd just recode Key1 to the car, and test again. If that fails, get a new Key 1. If that fails, then what?

At this rate, I've owned the car for 21 days, they've had it for 7 of those days. If I wanted that kind of reliability, I could have bought German.

I wonder if I could parlay this into some accessories. I need a cargo net.

Ted
Old 03-30-2013, 11:20 AM
TRP
Cruisin'

I called yesterday at 5 to talk to the service manager at Autowest Acura, of Stevens Creek. He said Eddie (the service rep) was supposed to call me and tell me that 'this is just how the car works' and 'you are just using the keys wrong'.

Apparently - and I'm just repeating what he said... If you unlock the car with Key 1, and start the car with Key 1, then start the car with key 2 - it will load key 2's profile. If you then start the car with key 1, it will not load key 1's profile until you lock the car with Key 1, unlock the car with key 1, and start the car with key 1. Sounds really suspect to me.

They said the phone paring issue is that it can sometimes take up to two minutes for the phone to pair. They can't explain why it didn't pair after 20 minutes.

They said it's not a warranty item because the car is operating exactly how it was designed.

Does that make any sense to anyone ? Or are these guys blowing smoke up my ass?

Thanks
Ted
Old 03-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Fascinating. I have the 2012 TSX Wagon, no tech package. The only thing the keys keep track of are the seat positions for each driver. Radio station presets are the same for both drivers. As for bluetooth phones, if more than one phone is paired, the Wagon will connect to the first one in range, regardless of which key was used to start the car.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:14 PM
TRP
Cruisin'

They gave the car back today. They had it for 6 days and they said they didn't do anything to it.

I've owned the car for 21 days. They've had it for 6 of them.

Lame.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:19 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by TRP

Apparently - and I'm just repeating what he said... If you unlock the car with Key 1, and start the car with Key 1, then start the car with key 2 - it will load key 2's profile. If you then start the car with key 1, it will not load key 1's profile until you lock the car with Key 1, unlock the car with key 1, and start the car with key 1. Sounds really suspect to me.
Both my TSX and MDX load the profile from the key that was last used to unlock the car. It doesn't matter which one is used to start the car.