2009 TSX Tech - ELS Speaker Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 10:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 TSX Tech - ELS Speaker Questions

Like just about everyone, my TSX suffers from speaker blow out syndrome. When I was under warranty I had at least two replaced. Now I have two more that are shuffling off their mortal voice coils.

I have ave read many threads and haven’t really found a conclusive answer, but are there aftermarket speakers that fit in the front and rear doors like stock? Is there a component speaker that will work with the factory tweeter? I’ve read some threads that say aftermarket speakers don’t work or sound awful with the ELS. But I’d hate to replace two more expensive OEM speakers just to have them blow again.

Also wondering, is it just the door speakers that suffer from this issue?

Lastly, if I have to go with OEM replacements, does anyone have part numbers for the front driver door and rear passenger door ELS speakers? Having trouble locating them on the usual parts sites.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2019, 10:46 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
OEM speakers are the first item in this diagram: https://www.oemacuraparts.com/v-2009...ntenna-speaker

As far as aftermarket speakers, I don't know. I agree that the aftermarket speakers typically have issues with the stock amp. I also don't know why the speakers blow so often (i.e. shitty speakers, power supply from amp, noise/distortion?). There is an upgraded amp you can get if you are looking for an upgrade: https://www.heeltoeauto.com/audio-sy...mp.ss.cu2.html

No idea if it affects (positively or negatively) the reliability of the speakers.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:17 AM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by t3hhcaptain
OEM speakers are the first item in this diagram: https://www.oemacuraparts.com/v-2009...ntenna-speaker

As far as aftermarket speakers, I don't know. I agree that the aftermarket speakers typically have issues with the stock amp. I also don't know why the speakers blow so often (i.e. shitty speakers, power supply from amp, noise/distortion?). There is an upgraded amp you can get if you are looking for an upgrade: https://www.heeltoeauto.com/audio-sy...mp.ss.cu2.html

No idea if it affects (positively or negatively) the reliability of the speakers.
Thanks for the reply! That upgraded amp looks awesome, sadly it’s a bit out of my price range. I’m probably going to have to roll the dice on new OEM speakers.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:30 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
No problem. You might wanna get that amp though. Read this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-...2s-amp-770482/
Old 02-03-2019, 02:57 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Get a 2 ohm comp set to match the impedance of your stock speakers? The els system will EQ them like the stock speakers so you may have to make a choice between silk/fabric and a metal tweeter depending on your preference. Example: if your stock system was "bright" on the high end then this may be your opportunity to tone them down by using a silk tweeter. If your system lacked "sparkle" on the high end go with a metal dome tweeter. Heck I wouldn't even be opposed to trying coaxials in the door.

Last edited by Bchester6; 02-03-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:04 PM
Pro

Great company and good products.
Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
t3hhcaptain (02-04-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 08:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bchester6
I know not a a lot of activity here, but have you tried this? My daughter's 2009 TSX has several speakers that sound "off." I might consider the Phantom Audio amp also, just to clear out the 2009 stock amp that might be the reason for blowing them.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:10 AM
Pro

If they sound off then I would guess that amp is your culprit but it could be both... either way they need to be replaced and/or upgraded.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

I was not enthusiastic about buying $80/ea factory replacement low-quality speakers, and it seemed that at least 4 of the 6 drivers had issues. The sound was strange, though- at times it would sound decent, at others, classic blown-cone sound.
A few weeks ago, her driver door lock started acting up, so I took the door apart to see if I can do anything with it (side note- 4 Acuras since 2001, anyone else notice the quality of the cars seems to be dropping?). Anyway, while I was in there, I happened to glance at the speaker, and noticed that a significant part of the rubber cone surround had come unglued from the frame of the speaker. I had a friend that used to "rebuild" speakers, basically replacing the old rotted foam surrounds. So I did some googling, found that lots of folks still do this... I went and bought the glue they recommended- Aleene's Tacky Glue. It was $2 at Home Depot. Michael's carries it, too, probably Wal Mart, etc...

I had nothing to lose, so I glued the speaker, and then took the other 5 drivers out. All had some manner of loose surround, from 1" to nearly half the cone. I glued them all back, taking care not to move the cone off-center.

Result- they sound great! The amp, in general, seems to have some quirky tuning/equalization choices designed into it, but she can now listen at her preferred volume (LOUD) as, I assume, Acura intended in the beginning. Best $2 and 3 hours I've spent in a long time!

Last edited by T Ho; 05-20-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T Ho
I was not enthusiastic about buying $80/ea factory replacement low-quality speakers, and it seemed that at least 4 of the 6 drivers had issues. The sound was strange, though- at times it would sound decent, at others, classic blown-cone sound.
A few weeks ago, her driver door lock started acting up, so I took the door apart to see if I can do anything with it (side note- 4 Acuras since 2001, anyone else notice the quality of the cars seems to be dropping?). Anyway, while I was in there, I happened to glance at the speaker, and noticed that a significant part of the rubber cone surround had come unglued from the frame of the speaker. I had a friend that used to "rebuild" speakers, basically replacing the old rotted foam surrounds. So I did some googling, found that lots of folks still do this... I went and bought the glue they recommended- Aleene's Tacky Glue. It was $2 at Home Depot. Michael's carries it, too, probably Wal Mart, etc...

I had nothing to lose, so I glued the speaker, and then took the other 5 drivers out. All had some manner of loose surround, from 1" to nearly half the cone. I glued them all back, taking care not to move the cone off-center.

Result- they sound great! The amp, in general, seems to have some quirky tuning/equalization choices designed into it, but she can now listen at her preferred volume (LOUD) as, I assume, Acura intended in the beginning. Best $2 and 3 hours I've spent in a long time!
Great suggestion. The sound in my Acura was poor -- lots of cracking static that I knew were speaker issues. I didn't want to shell out bucks for new speakers as the car is old and isn't driven that much any more. Then I read your suggestion, bought the glue from Amazon, and proceeded to pull out the speakers. Three of them needed to have parts of their cone reglued on. Problem solved with not much work and a $2 bottle of glue.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Just to update- nearly two years on, speakers are still working fine.