Would you look at BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 547 Likes on 354 Posts
I don't really think you can compare what is going on today w/ past events, as like anything in life, products grow and change...some get better, some get worse. For example, I've owned Hondas for decades and no issues at all, yet my '09 TSX has had *A LOT* of problems thus far unfortunately and many BMW owners at my work have had literally NOTHING go wrong w/ their cars. I have passed TWO brand new dead TLs on the way to work since the 4th gen has come out, and a friend passed one recently and mentioned it to me (she is an Acura owner and eyeing the new TL and really into cars, so she definitely pays attention to such things like I do). All one needs to do is read these forums, and your eyes will be opened for sure...

My point is, it's a crap shoot these days and sadly (VERY SADLY) I don't think the Honda/Acura line is as bulletproof and as safe of a bet as it used to be...I think you may have the same odds (heck, if not better) by going w/ a BMW.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree. The transmission problem of 2000-2001 seemed very unbecoming of Honda. The transmission is a pretty big deal. We're not talking about chips in the paint. My old Integra had all sort of check engine light issues from bad O2 sensors and I forget what else, a minor problem that took up too much of my free time relative to the nature of the problem. Back in the 70s or 80s before they had the ECU I'd never been the wiser and I'd believe my car just worked even if the mileage suffered slightly for it.

We should probably be more worried about electronic problems with Acura's current lineup because in the span of five years they've added a rediculous amount of electronic features, more than anyone else I believe. The DVD on my '05 Odyssey went out and cost $400 to repair. Fortunately I don't plan to own any of my cars more than five or six years but another few years past that there's no telling what might happen.

Last edited by Hanga Piko; 12-03-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Hanga Piko
Would you ever consider BMW?
I had a 06 Z4 lease, in the 2 years of ownership, that car never had a single problem. I'd lease another BMW if the opportunity presents itself.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:41 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by CU2MIKE
I had a 06 Z4 lease, in the 2 years of ownership, that car never had a single problem. I'd lease another BMW if the opportunity presents itself.
how many miles did the z4 have. my 06 tsx, bought new 11/06, has almost 96,000 problem free miles.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
how many miles did the z4 have. my 06 tsx, bought new 11/06, has almost 96,000 problem free miles.
oh i went way over my allowed milage........ i think i had over 50k on the car in 2 years? ( i was only suppose to have 30k for the 2 years lease)
i would definitely lease a BMW as a nice second weekend car type of thing. It's nice to not have to worry about maintenance cost.
in conclusion, i think its just luck of the draw........ i know a guy with a 1999 328i with over 200k on his car now (he bought new), and never had any problems.
i also know a girl that leased a 07 335 coupe that she eventually lemoned........
Old 12-06-2009, 09:30 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
There was one benefit to my 02 330ci ownership experience...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...F&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Old 01-01-2010, 05:22 AM
Instructor

love reading what people have to say, you do learn alot.
first off i had an 2001 honda accord ex sedan, loved the thing sold it w/ 156k mostly trouble-free miles, no transmission problem with mine only one thing, the catalytic converter went out, and very very expensive because its super low emissions or what ever the case is and car shop said u cant get an aftermarket one for it. my family has owned fords and hondas and recently started with acuras, my dad has an 04 TL has 99k miles and took for a trip to fresno and got 30 mpg's the whole way back and forth. i now have an 05 RL with 50k miles yes great upgrade. my mom has the ridgeline no problems, it has the space dont tow anything , she loves the in bed trunk. step dad just bought an 09 accord , he likes it, 17 yo sister has an 01 civic no problems-she doesnt care what she drives haha. but we all love our hondas and acuras, and my parents have had more hondas in the past, but this is our current line-up. we are a very conservative family, yes my parents can afford bmws and what not, but choice not to, we keep our cars till they die. But when i was looking for my car, i was told one thing that my parnets would not help me if i bought a german car, did i test drive many germans YES, loved them, im a pretty big car buff and know what im talking about and what i was looking for. i fell in love with the infiniti m35 and the acura rl, i wanted something big luxurious, something that can get up and go. yes wish i went with the inifiniti but got such a good deal i went with the RL, no regrets tho. my insurance only went up alittle and yes i use more gas.

during test drives i did test drive the G35. fast but not for me. 3 days ago i had a tsx for my loaner car, i was having the wood steering wheel installed and a recall done. and loved the tsx, my mom drove it also while i had it and she liked it and even talked about getting one. we will always be part of the honda family.
Happy new years !
Old 01-01-2010, 08:35 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This year I was choosing from new BMW 330i, Mercedes C350, Lexus IS250 and Honda Accord 2,4 (TSX).

After trying them all, I placed my order to Honda, even that technically I think it is the worst car of all those cars. And I live in Europe, where Honda has almost no "image" value, everyone want Germans.

In my opinion, we have to compare specific models, not badges. Because I have chosen TSX over 3 series, but I would chose new 5 series over Honda Legend (Acura RL I think) and I would buy S2000 over Z4, but X6 over MDX.

The reason why I bought TSX is this: after having a nightmare times with a car, which was both sporty & comfy I realized that this doesn't work. Those cars are too firm to be comfy and too weak and heavy to be sporty. In the end, you will wake up one morning, and say oh shit when you realize that you have two half-cars and no proper car. Because of that I bought TSX as a comfy one, and when I will have more cash I will buy S2000 too. Then you have a good comfy one, and perfect sporty one. P.S.: this depends a bit how good or bad roads you have around you. We have a very shitty roads, maybe if you have only great new roads you can live with sporty every day, because on a good roads, they are just great.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:17 PM
7th Gear

This discussion is quite fascinating. I own a 2006 530i and traded in my 2002 325i for a 20100 TSX V6. I have not had one single problem with either BMW and the cars have been very reliable, fun to drive, and ubiquitous on the road.

So, why buy the Acura and trade in the BMW. I fell in love with the car during the test drives and felt it was a much better value for the money compared to buying another 3 series. I am completely happy with the TSX V6.