AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TSX (2009-2014) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/)
-   -   Why would Acura discontinue the TSX??? (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/why-would-acura-discontinue-tsx-852899/)

briny319 04-03-2012 10:23 PM

Why would Acura discontinue the TSX???

I've read the articles and rumors pointed to a three sedan lineup and the ILX replacing the TSX. I've also read a more recent article about not chaning the lineup for a few years. I just saw the March sales report and the TSX is outselling the TL. TL sales down 29% while TSX sales up 15%. So why is it assumed the TSX will be discontinued?

KillerG 04-03-2012 10:26 PM

Profit is higher on the ILX

TSXKid2010 04-03-2012 10:33 PM

Why would Acura discontinue the RSX? It was a decent seller. But they wanted to and they did.

briny319 04-03-2012 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by KillerG (Post 13676110)
Profit is higher on the ILX

In order to make a profit they will need people to buy the small, slow, over priced ILX...

Originally Posted by TSXKid2010 (Post 13676134)
Why would Acura discontinue the RSX? It was a decent seller. But they wanted to and they did.

I always thought they discontinued the RSX because it didn't fit with Acura's Tier 1 plan. But I could be wrong. Also it looks like RSX sales were down 18% for CY 2005, that next year it was discontinued.

ed_423 04-03-2012 10:48 PM

nsx. rsx. now the tsx.

Acura's goal is to discontinue a popular model, so it can troll the public and piss everyone off

PyroDave 04-03-2012 11:12 PM

why? because fuck you, thats why. atleast thats what the search button told me to say

TSXKid2010 04-03-2012 11:33 PM

Discontinue the popular models, beat the other ones with an ugly stick. Must ve their mission statement.

princelybug 04-04-2012 12:07 AM

LOL at the responses. :rofl:

Rocket_man 04-04-2012 02:12 AM

A) Because thier mommies didn't breastfeed them when they were babies.

B) Because they were always the last to be picked for dodgeball.

C) Becasue Acura has been infiltraited by Lexus, BMW, MB, Infiniti spies

D) Because the dollar is so weak against the yen, thanks in part to the billions of dollars being flooded on the market by the Fed, that they need to shift manufacturing to the US to make money, much like Honda just did with the Fit. "The strength of the Yen is forcing many Japanese automakers to consider building cars for export markets outside their home country. Honda is no different, and has confirmed that it will build the Fit hatchback at its new plant in Mexico starting in the spring of 2014. ... "

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/30/h...ing-to-mexico/

Seriously, until just a few days ago Acura seemed pretty intent on 3 sedans in its line up. Only the last few days has there been any weakness in that position. But they still say things like "we have no plans" which imply plans can be made tomorrow. The TSX has been growing in sales and the last two months, when combined with the Wagon, is now the top seller for Acura. Beating even the mighty MDX. Personnally I think there is not enough price difference between the ILX and TSX for both to last together in the same line up. For a little more money you can move up to a TSX, so this will hurt ILX sales this year. Not sure how you can move the TSX up scale without it then hurting the TL. Something's gotta go. Unfortunately it won't be the RL or ZDX.

xenonhid 04-04-2012 02:21 AM

Acura, I've made it simple for you! Here you go:

TSX
TSX SH-AWD V6 Wagon
TL
TL Coupe
MDX
RDX
NSX

Seeing an RL or a ZDX on the road is like a sasquatch/UFO sighting. It never happens.

kbfirebreather 04-04-2012 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by xenonhid (Post 13676488)
Acura, I've made it simple for you! Here you go:

TSX
TSX SH-AWD V6 Wagon
TL
TL Coupe
MDX
RDX
NSX

Seeing an RL or a ZDX on the road is like a sasquatch/UFO sighting. It never happens.

Depends where you live. I'm in North Jersey, and live in Central Jersey. I see RL's all the time, it's sickening. 4 out of a 5 days a week I see 1-2 RL's in the wild. Definitely see ZDX's as well, but I don't really look out for them.

briny319 04-04-2012 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rocket_man (Post 13676482)
A)

Seriously, until just a few days ago Acura seemed pretty intent on 3 sedans in its line up. Only the last few days has there been any weakness in that position. But they still say things like "we have no plans" which imply plans can be made tomorrow. The TSX has been growing in sales and the last two months, when combined with the Wagon, is now the top seller for Acura. Beating even the mighty MDX. Personnally I think there is not enough price difference between the ILX and TSX for both to last together in the same line up. For a little more money you can move up to a TSX, so this will hurt ILX sales this year. Not sure how you can move the TSX up scale without it then hurting the TL. Something's gotta go. Unfortunately it won't be the RL or ZDX.

Now that makes some sense. There certainly is an overlap in price between the sedans which is why I am starting to believe they will make a TLX. Thanks for the replies. The TSX was my favorite car and it's depressing to hear it might soon be gone...

01ITR 04-04-2012 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Rocket_man (Post 13676482)
A) Something's gotta go. Unfortunately it won't be the RL or ZDX.

I agree, the RL/ZDX needs to go. They barely sell over a hundred units a month. What a waste of r&d/money etc. They could've used it to make a better ILX or the new TSX/TL replacement.

TSXKid2010 04-04-2012 08:55 AM

I actually really like the RL, but NOT for that price. The older generation RL is definitely a nice car and a nice car to pick up used for hella cheap nowadays.

They might cut the TSX thinking that all the people looking at the TSX will go to the ILX. Which might be true to everyone except the people like us. Sadly, us car enthusiasts are the minority. BY switching to a US manufacturer, they will lose me personally. But you have to admit, most of the people who drive TSXs could give a shit where their cars are built.

I wanna see Acura's new RLX concept which will probably turn into their car sitting at the top of their luxury line-up, and the top of the line-up until the NSX releases. Do it right, Acura!

briny319 04-04-2012 10:52 AM

I disagree that the RL needs to go. It need to be updated for sure, but not replaced. I loved the RL I had, it had cutting edge tech when it was released. But the current model isn't much different than the RL that was released 7 and a half years ago.

ceb 04-04-2012 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by briny319 (Post 13677171)
I disagree that the RL needs to go. It need to be updated for sure, but not replaced. I loved the RL I had, it had cutting edge tech when it was released. But the current model isn't much different than the RL that was released 7 and a half years ago.

Right - it was just made uglier.

My sister traded her 2005 RL for a 2010 and loves it - mainly because it "feels just like my old car with a few improvements."

On The Run 04-04-2012 12:54 PM

Wait, Acura is going to discontinue the TSX?

opboarding 04-04-2012 01:04 PM

Who's Acura?

TSXKid2010 04-04-2012 01:04 PM

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net...6MicsVqtCFnII_

Gasssppp o:
RLX

PyroDave 04-04-2012 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by TSXKid2010 (Post 13677562)

NY auto show =D

TSXKid2010 04-04-2012 01:12 PM

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net...4se~eDTW7A0V0_

yo dave how the fuck come i wasn't invited to that sausage fest meet?! >:(

briny319 04-04-2012 01:20 PM

Thanks for the pics. I hadn't seen those. It looks like a big ilx. Here some more pics:
http://www.hondanews.com/channels/ac...ra-rlx-concept

RLX... interesting...
I wonder if they will just change the TL to the TLX or merge the TSX and TL. Maybe they will make a TLX starting at $32k 4cyl FWD up to $44k 6cyl SHAWD. Very similar to the way the models are structured in the 3 series.

TSXKid2010 04-04-2012 01:23 PM

You haven't seen them because the RLX was unveiled literally a minutes before I posted those pics LOL.

opboarding 04-04-2012 01:37 PM

Eh, looks alright. Not really jaw dropping, wouldnt want to make me go out and buy it immediately if I had the money. Also, not a fan of the old lady gold/beige color they chose for the concept. I do really like the taillights though!

http://www.hondanews.com/photos/baea...91-500x353.jpg

briny319 04-04-2012 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by TSXKid2010 (Post 13677617)
You haven't seen them because the RLX was unveiled literally a minutes before I posted those pics LOL.

I know I've been reading the press coverage of the show all day. But even when you posted them vtec.net still had the pics with the car covered. I still haven't seen those exact pics. Automobilmag.com did just post clearer pics from the show, but what site did you get yours from?

PyroDave 04-04-2012 03:15 PM

theres a video posted now. seems pretty cool

TSXy Luster 04-04-2012 03:51 PM

I like the front headlights and the dual screen setup they have for the interior. I think the dual screen setup is exactly what needs to be done. Gives those people that want touch, touch, but still show everything on a non-smeared by touch screen above.

I don't think most people on the internet forums know that the RLX is not catered towards them. The beige and the conservative design is exactly what the high paying buyers want from their cars of this size and magnitude. No one under 30 will buy a RLX for a sport fun sedan.

K100Fran 04-04-2012 04:41 PM

[quote=briny319;13677607]Thanks for the pics. I hadn't seen those. It looks like a big ilx.

It looks like a Toyota Avalon with an Acura grill...

Professor 04-04-2012 04:47 PM

I'd like to see the breakdown of buyers of Acura whom previously owned a Honda/Acura versus first-time buyers of the brand.

Why I say that is because I've never owned a Shelby Mustang or a Caddy V series, but I'd consider them.

I don't know how many people that never had an Acura would say I would consider it.

That's the problem with the brand.

TSXy Luster 04-04-2012 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Professor (Post 13678302)
I'd like to see the breakdown of buyers of Acura whom previously owned a Honda/Acura versus first-time buyers of the brand.

Why I say that is because I've never owned a Shelby Mustang or a Caddy V series, but I'd consider them.

I don't know how many people that never had an Acura would say I would consider it.

I did when I bought mine last year. Heck, it was the last brand dealer I went to.

ceb 04-04-2012 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Professor (Post 13678302)

The Shelby and V-series are niche market brands that are aimed squarely at the enthusiast. Acuras are aimed at mainstream buyers.

The buyer for a Shelby would probably never consider a Ford and the V buyer isn't close to Caddy demographics. The NSX was (and may be again) the Shelby or V from Acura - but that won't bring buyers to Acura.

Rocket_man 04-04-2012 08:51 PM

RLX Concept

I think Acura did a good job on the new RLX Concept. I look at the tech they put in the car and it gives me hope that Acura is not that content with this "Smart Luxury" approach. The 4-wheel steer (been tried before) the milage for a 370hp car, the dual screen and connectivity features. 7-speed dual clutch tranny. The styling is better than the current RL, but lets face it, they couldn't get too wild with a car meant to appeal to higher end more mature buyers. Definately an improvment and should boost sales. And remember this is still a concept but I hope they don't tone it down too much. Not crazy about the wheels. < EDIT: Saw the video and really like the wheels! Actually ther video on YouTube gives a more positive impression of the car.

Didn't see ventilated seats though.

Now we can see some features that hopefully will trickly down to the TLX next year.

And PLEASE Acura fold down rear seats!!!

I think Acura did great with the new RDX. It will sell very well. I think they did pretty good with the RLX. Not so sure about the ILX. Overall I think a positive trend. Can't wait to see what the new TLX/TL/TSX (whatever) is going to be.

TSXKid2010 04-04-2012 09:05 PM

I see lots of improvement for Acura. Not exactly going in the direction we're wanting Acura to go in, but definitely an improvement. We can only hope that once they establish a stable market for the crowd they're going for, they'll develop something for our niche!

TSXy Luster 04-04-2012 10:40 PM

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...20%2812%29.JPG

look at those brakes!

xenonhid 04-05-2012 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by kbfirebreather (Post 13676620)
Depends where you live. I'm in North Jersey, and live in Central Jersey. I see RL's all the time, it's sickening. 4 out of a 5 days a week I see 1-2 RL's in the wild. Definitely see ZDX's as well, but I don't really look out for them.

Sorry to hear that. I guess Seattle people know better not to get the new RL or the ZDX because I haven't seen ONE yet.

I must agree though the 04-08 RL was a sexy beast! CNET's CarTech of the year in 2005.

Ken1997TL 04-05-2012 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by xenonhid (Post 13679378)
Sorry to hear that. I guess Seattle people know better not to get the new RL or the ZDX because I haven't seen ONE yet.

I must agree though the 04-08 RL was a sexy beast! CNET's CarTech of the year in 2005.

Not sure where you are in Seattle but I'm there every other month, I see RL's and ZDX's. :shrug:

TL-Swag 04-05-2012 09:31 AM

I actually think the RLX looks pretty good. I had to mute the video though, that song is so bad, and those wheels are ugly no they are fugly, maybe as an option Acura will have some spinners available but other than that the lines/curves, styling and technology all seem to point in a good direction but who knows, time will tell I guess.

On The Run 04-05-2012 11:44 AM

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7124/6...9b9b734e_b.jpg

Makes me see:

http://www.hybridcars.com/files/2011...uze-rear-5.jpg

:(

Ken1997TL 04-05-2012 11:57 AM

:doh:

I don't see that at all. I see a longer 4th gen TL with ILX styling.

TSXy Luster 04-05-2012 12:15 PM

Sorry On The Run, but you need to get to an optometrist ASAP!

I agree with Ken but I still think it's a longer ILX but with better lines.