AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TSX (2009-2014) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/)
-   -   What Would it Take for you to buy the 2009 TSX? (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/what-would-take-you-buy-2009-tsx-677874/)

otokoyama 03-31-2008 07:07 PM

What Would it Take for you to buy the 2009 TSX?

For me, the only way they could ever make me even consider buying this car is if they offered the car with tech package for $28k and killer financing. The technology package is the most attractive thing about the car and think about what you could do with the money saved.....change the grill, put some 18" rims, suspension kit, etc.

But eh, I still don't know if I would bite if that were to happen.

ostrich 03-31-2008 07:22 PM

For me to buy the 2009 TSX, Acura would have to do the following:

1. Put in a powerful engine (V6 or the RDX turbo) with SH-AWD

2. Get rid of that horrendously ugly grille!!!

xenonhid 03-31-2008 07:28 PM

Where to begin...... :ko:

spurfan15 03-31-2008 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by otokoyama
For me, the only way they could ever make me even consider buying this car is if they offered the car with tech package for $28k and killer financing. The technology package is the most attractive thing about the car and think about what you could do with the money saved.....change the grill, put some 18" rims, suspension kit, etc.

But eh, I still don't know if I would bite if that were to happen.

Well for one I hope the car with tech package doesn't cost 35k, that would be a bit ridiculous IMO. I hope it's low 30's at highest. Also, I won't consider this car until Acura releases a version with diesel power plant. I just won't go for the current engine... I want more torque, and I don't think it's powerful enough to make the TSX very sporty (given it's new husky and bigger stature). The efficiency of the diesel will also be much more impressive.

It'd also be nice to see some better front end styling, and maybe some features like LKAS and active cruise control, but I doubt we'll see those any time soon.

MMsTSX 03-31-2008 08:19 PM

1. A new interior.
All that plastic. :yuck: god...
All those buttons... :yuck: ... :whyme:

A completely new interior (not one just ripped from the Accord) is in desperate order.

2. A full bumper and grille replacement body kit

This won't solve the fender flare problem, but it'll surely help
The grille, well, I don't even need to say it. :hurl:
RonJon is working on something for this... too bad he never made a kit for us...

3. Goodies (rims, suspension, new lights)

The whole look of the car needs to change.
The wheels they have are serious trash I think.
If it had nice rims, if it was lowered, if the red and amber were removed...

There's hope for it.
We'll see more than one really nice '09 TSX done up on here.
But I'll never buy one due to the interior.

And for most, they'll really need a better engine than that!

Tumby 03-31-2008 09:20 PM

To me... Honda better to re-design the entirebody TSX.... and at leaset closer to the concept Sport 4 that was released sometime a yr or two ago. Not to mention about the confused and ugly interior!

After all... sick of the shitty service w/ Acura Canada or Honda Canada, and I probably will go for a Bimmer 1 series or a 09 T4 a couple yrs when I am ready to get a new car, regardless how attractive of the proce of the new TSX is. :tomato:

hans007 04-01-2008 05:28 AM

as much as i'd want a new engine with more power i suppose i could be ok with the one it has depending on price.

i figure with gas its still not bad as a normal car.

that said basically i'd want the car with tech package for under 30k and a new grill. A 2008 is less than 30k and I can't really say the new one has anything worth writing home about that can really justify it being more expensive.

I could probably do without the actual ELS sound system, and moonroof if it was even an option to delete those 2 things, basically the base + the nav system and usb for say $29,500 + tax and such would seem reasonable to me as say something to replace my 05 TSX with though it would be more or less the same car just updated. At least i'd consider it an option whereas now, its really not a car i'd even consider since its too expensive AND has all the other drawbacks.

I honestly figuring the car + tech might be possible for $30k seeing as I'm figuring by october the car will be selling at less than invoice. I mean on carsdirect.com right now an IS250 is $27k and optioned with nav, x package and an 6 speed auto would still be just about 31k. Seeing as the new TSX can barely even compete with that as its not RWD, has less torque, and only has a 5 speed I'm assuming no one will buy a TSX since it seems like an almost pointless car now unless you really need additional space (since the TSX is bigger than the IS or 3 series interior wise). That really doesn't matter to me so the car has lost its appeal. This is coming from someone who when I bought my TSX bought it over the just released 06 IS250 at the time because it was about 10k cheaper similarly equipped.

The TSX did provide good value 3 years ago. this new more expensive one, combined with huge discounts on cars like the IS250 make it well.. not nearly the value so I wouldn't be willing to live with the compromises (i.e. 5 speed auto, no rwd, lack of torque) since the value proposition is no longer there. AND it has a horrible looking grill, and cheap looking rims with no better option.

I'd have to also point out a car like the IS generally comes with 18s with nicer looking rims and real tires unlike the garbage michelin all seasons that i'm assuming the TSX will continue to come with

LuvMyTSX 04-01-2008 07:27 AM

I can't comment on power yet without driving it, but lowering the price to about $31k with tech pkg would be a good start. I just can't see paying $35k for a TSX.

freeperjim 04-01-2008 07:37 AM

The 2009 version is simply the old model with extra fat added, streched further in length so it is more Camry-like and even less power. A total failure that had so much expectations after seeing sport4 model.

That said, something more akin to IS250/350 especially in style and length (180") with performance. That was the formula that made the BMW 3-series the standard bearer of personal (2+2) sized entry level luxury cars.

Acura's version of the camry is such a disappointment...and that's coming from someone who has purchased 2 Acuras.

dom 04-01-2008 08:51 AM

More power/AWD.

Reach 04-01-2008 10:03 AM

Less weight, back to the smaller body, tighter suspension... these would all be factors for me ahead of the typical more power / sh-awd discussion.

If the wife got knocked up and I needed a 4 seater again... that would also change things. :)

Nogard13 04-01-2008 10:09 AM

The current TSX starts at $28,200, right? Well, let's say the new one starts at $28,800, a $600 increase over the previous model, a little over a 2% hike. They've already said in press releases that the Tech pkg will cost an additional $3,500, so that would mean the TSX w/Tech would cost around $32,300, or a 6.5% jump from the current TSX w/Nav's $30,300 price! :yikes:

OUCH!!!

Now, let us look at cars in this price range ($30-35K)

1. The 2008 CTS starts at $33,490
2. The 2008 G35 starts at $31,850
3. The 2008 A4 starts at $28,900 (and the 09 will have a huge torque increase!)
4. The 2008 IS250 starts at $31,725
5. The 2008 328i Sedan starts at $32,400
6. The C300 starts at $32,425

Yes, I'm aware that Acura is trying to market the TSX to the young crowd, people who probably aren't looking at the MB or Cadillac, but the truth of the matter is that, for just a few grand more (and maybe $30 a month), you could be driving a car that doesn't have a fugly grill and that actually feels sportier and has more luxurious appointments. The TSX will still remain king of the Bang-for-the-Buck crowd, but sometimes you have to realize that it's not always a bang for the buck world. That's the primary reason I purchased the TSX (that, and because I got it with Nav for $28,000).

The TSX is completely off my list, as of now. I do have two more years left on my lease, but I'm probably going to either purchase it for the residual or turn it back into Honda and get one of the cars listed above (probably the CTS), depending on my financial situation and family circumstances at the time (I'm getting married next month so I might have some rugrats running around and won't be able to afford a new car).

jlukja 04-01-2008 10:13 AM

- back to the 04-08 fender flares
- do something with the front spoiler (I guess I can live with the grill)
- any other wheel design but this one
- a 5% reduction in overall size
- a 5% reduction in overall weight
- a 5% increase in horsepower
- a 5% increase in torque
- highway mileage above 30 mpg
- a price (without the tech. package) below $30K

xenonhid 04-01-2008 01:49 PM

^^ I agree with Jan, the aesthetics should have had numerous redesigns before it hit the final showroom.

Mokos23 04-01-2008 01:55 PM

get rid of the grill, add 30 hp, get rid of the Lexus ES rearend, and give me SH-AWD and I'll buy it for $31K.

xenonhid 04-01-2008 01:55 PM

Answering the Question to the OP, I have no major complaints about their choice in performance as I need comfortable daily driver.

But getting caught in Seattle roads in the 09 TSX is just straight shameful.

I would buy it if it LOOKED better. List is too long to type out all the aesthetic mishaps so I'll just leave it at that. :squint:

xjohnkdoex 04-01-2008 02:01 PM

i don't even know where to start.

-weight reduction
-keep the size of the 1st gen
-more HP/torque...and i'm not even talking about 300hp or something ridiculous. just bump it up like to 240 or something. or give everyone a base model and a v6/turbocharged 4 cylinder option.
-redesign the entire front end
-more-competitive pricing (although if they bumped up the performance, i'd be willing to pay more if it's justifiable)
-lose the crappy designed rims
-make the a-spec/sports suspension stock
-AWD option
-fuel efficiency be damned!!--you're trying to get a younger demographic that wants to jump into the luxury market. not a bunch of birkenstock, tree-hugging hippies driving hybrids.
-create a little more brand seperation between acura and honda

last 2 don't really necessarily apply to the TSX specifically, but i wanted to throw them in there anyways.

dj Dozhe 04-01-2008 02:06 PM

I would buy it for $1. There aren't enough positive differences between my 06 and the 09 for me to think this would make sense, no matter what changes were made.

Tumby 04-01-2008 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by xenonhid
Answering the Question to the OP, I have no major complaints about their choice in performance as I need comfortable daily driver.

But getting caught in Seattle roads in the 09 TSX is just straight shameful.

I would buy it if it LOOKED better. List is too long to type out all the aesthetic mishaps so I'll just leave it at that. :squint:

well said!!!! :thumbsup:

gavinn58 04-01-2008 06:59 PM

It would need the 2.3T, sh-awd and an extreme makeover.

wackura 04-01-2008 08:45 PM

I would get an '09 if it had a sticker price of 31G with the tech package. Aside from the improved audio system it's basicly the same car I bought before. The extra torque is negated by the extra size, and the extra size itself brings nothing to the table.

I told a friend of mine about the A4 debate and he said he wouldn't touch an Audi with the end of a shotgun and I have to agree. My poor single mother was duped into getting a used Audi in the late 80's and it literaly lasted a couple weeks before having a major transmission problem. The name "Audi" strikes fear in me.

xenonhid 04-01-2008 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by wackura
I told a friend of mine about the A4 debate and he said he wouldn't touch an Audi with the end of a shotgun and I have to agree. My poor single mother was duped into getting a used Audi in the late 80's and it literaly lasted a couple weeks before having a major transmission problem. The name "Audi" strikes fear in me.

My dad also had major problems with an Audi he bought in the early 90's. It sucked ass until it finally broke down.

noki 04-01-2008 11:17 PM

So why is the Sport4 concept so much better...? similar front and rear lights and wider look. i suppose the mesh front grille is uglier in the real TSX. The Sport4 is more like the current TL. Same stupid exagerrated wheel flares on the Sport4 as the TSX.

The new TSX wheels are very lame thou, but easiest thing to change.

If you want a more powerful car, you could get the TL. 2009 probably will have the same stupid front grille "blade" also.

http://images.paultan.org/sports4_2.jpg

http://images.paultan.org/sports4_3.jpg

noki 04-01-2008 11:42 PM

I mean, did you guys really want the 4 piece moonroof?

wackura 04-02-2008 03:19 AM

The sports 4 looks infantely better than the new TSX even if you account for the unrealistic proprtions. I think the new Accord coupe comes a lot closer to the Sports 4 than the new TSX:

https://www.edmunds.com/media/roadte....coupe.340.jpg

Notice the wheels and the belt line in particular.

Ya I want more moonroof to. The Cadillac CTS has a cool double sized moonroof.

Tumby 04-02-2008 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by xenonhid
My dad also had major problems with an Audi he bought in the early 90's. It sucked ass until it finally broke down.

but everyone knows the earlier Audi sucks. However, it has a big jump in terms of reliability for the more recent model which is no doubt about.

Audioserf 04-02-2008 01:41 PM

Pretty much the whole car would need an aesthetic re-design for me to buy it. How they could go from cars like the TSX and TL to... this... is beyond me. Kind of like the old 7 series to the new 7 series. Old 5 to new 5. Etc. Total "WTF" styling.

wackura 04-02-2008 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tumby
but everyone knows the earlier Audi sucks. However, it has a big jump in terms of reliability for the more recent model which is no doubt about.

The only reason new Audi's are more reliable is because they are new.

TheDukeZip 04-02-2008 03:01 PM

I gotta be honest, the TSX needs to be priced at $27K nonav as is.

Would possibly be worth the price with:
turbo 2.3L or 2.4L or turbo diesel
SH-AWD

If I were in the market for a new car in this price range when this car comes out, TSX would not be on my list. Luckily for the price I got my 06 and the cars on the market at that time I feel like I got the perfect car for me.

Tumby 04-02-2008 03:12 PM

nope...a friend of mine has a 00 A4 and is still running w/out major problem.

LaZyPiGgY 04-02-2008 05:05 PM

nope...a friend of mine has a 00 A4 and is still running w/out major problem.

Yeah, my girlfriend's Audi is perfectly fine, I love the torque range of that car.

Probably just bad luck for people with bad experiences, I mean, a one time thing isn't going to ruin everything, especially when you talk about one time. Acura's have had that plaqued 5AT in the TL, but nobody likes to bash the reliabilty. Many people complain about rattles, and the 04 TSX's have had a good amount of issues. Its just subjective, and a biased opinion I believe.

Tumby 04-02-2008 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by LaZyPiGgY
Yeah, my girlfriend's Audi is perfectly fine, I love the torque range of that car.

Probably just bad luck for people with bad experiences, I mean, a one time thing isn't going to ruin everything, especially when you talk about one time. Acura's have had that plaqued 5AT in the TL, but nobody likes to bash the reliabilty. Many people complain about rattles, and the 04 TSX's have had a good amount of issues. Its just subjective, and a biased opinion I believe.

Yea..... and I have a few major issues still cannot be fixed... rattling on the steering wheels..... tilting on the driver sit....... and the problems that was fixed including light house w/ condensation.... and much more may be on the other owner..... so... reliability wise, quite a lot of TSX are having problem which won't happen on Japanese made cars like a fews years ago and for those that were built in Japan

ostrich 04-02-2008 11:09 PM

I so agree with you!

Yea..... and I have a few major issues still cannot be fixed... rattling on the steering wheels..... tilting on the driver sit....... and the problems that was fixed including light house w/ condensation.... and much more may be on the other owner..... so... reliability wise, quite a lot of TSX are having problem which won't happen on Japanese made cars like a fews years ago and for those that were built in Japan

I still have my rattles here and there, a buzzing door lock on the driver's side, and some occasional weird noises from time to time with my 04 TSX.

On the other hand, I did not have anything like that with my 1995 Nissan Altima before LOL

kjamsf 04-03-2008 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by noki
So why is the Sport4 concept so much better...? similar front and rear lights and wider look. i suppose the mesh front grille is uglier in the real TSX. The Sport4 is more like the current TL. Same stupid exagerrated wheel flares on the Sport4 as the TSX.

The new TSX wheels are very lame thou, but easiest thing to change.

If you want a more powerful car, you could get the TL. 2009 probably will have the same stupid front grille "blade" also.

http://images.paultan.org/sports4_2.jpg

http://images.paultan.org/sports4_3.jpg

Yeah, I second the Sports 4 concept.

otokoyama 04-03-2008 12:23 AM

I was hoping the 2009 TSX would look just like that.....I'd be 10X happier if it even looked like the Tourer Concept.

TorontoTL 04-04-2008 02:41 PM

I think Acura really made a mistake with so many aspects of the TSX. The Sports 4 concept was a great design and that should have been what the TSX turned out to be instead of what is really turned out to be. :whyme:

Mokos23 04-04-2008 02:53 PM

I like the Sports4 too, but if they actually made that then people here in the USA would say gosh that's too small. Also, they would say gosh that car isn't that much bigger than a Civic sedan. Might as well get the Civic Si sedan.

Maybe if they took the Sports4 concept sedan and made it a little longer, but not fatter, then that would be a more acceptable TSX successor design.

wackura 04-04-2008 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mokos23
I like the Sports4 too, but if they actually made that then people here in the USA would say gosh that's too small. Also, they would say gosh that car isn't that much bigger than a Civic sedan. Might as well get the Civic Si sedan.

Maybe if they took the Sports4 concept sedan and made it a little longer, but not fatter, then that would be a more acceptable TSX successor design.

Opinions like yours are apparently shared by Honda and are the root of the problem: you're equating Honda options with luxury options. The Civic Si is obviously lacking compared to the compact sports sedans from BMW and Lexus. Acura needs a comparable compact, that should unarguably be the TSX's job. Now the TSX is nothing but a weaker TL.

I wonder if the Civic Si's sales went up proportionately when they discontinued the Acura RSX. I'll guess they didn't.

LaZyPiGgY 04-04-2008 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by wackura
Opinions like yours are apparently shared by Honda and are the root of the problem: you're equating Honda options with luxury options. The Civic Si is obviously lacking compared to the compact sports sedans from BMW and Lexus. Acura needs a comparable compact, that should unarguably be the TSX's job. Now the TSX is nothing but a weaker TL.

I wonder if the Civic Si's sales went up proportionately when they discontinued the Acura RSX. I'll guess they didn't.

Wasn't the reason the RSX was discontinued was because the Civic Si offered simliar or better performance for cheaper? The RSX barely had anything over a Civic Si to make it that much different. I loved how the RSX looked, and the leather seats, but beyond that, nothing really.

The Civic Si even has a navigation that the RSX never got for some reason.

wackura 04-04-2008 04:48 PM

I don't believe the Civic Si had nav when the RSX was discontinued, but I don't care enough to look either. I also prefered the RSX's practical hatchback to the Civic's nearly useless back seat and trunk, the look of the RSX and its snazzy dash. A sporty car is as much about style and feel as it is about performance. People are passing on the later sporty Civics striclty because they look silly and/or ugly.