TSX Wagon on the way?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by jjmdx
I know I am in the minority but I really want this to happen, but do it right an option for a manual! Even better make Type S Wagon V6 TSX with a manual in Taffeta white please!
LOL they won't even make the V-6 sedan in a manual, they'll never make the wagon that way.... but nice try.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
LOL they won't even make the V-6 sedan in a manual, they'll never make the wagon that way.... but nice try.
I know, it's sad

Subarus seem to sell like crazy out here in New England. You can get the Outback in the 2.5XT Limited in a manual (5-spd), 243 hp, AWD (of course), 241 lb-ft. of torque... MSRP of 31,600. Only 4-cyl, but still. Not too shabby. The only thing is it's missing most of the interior niceities Acura would probably put in. Well, and the gas mileage sucks!

Think a TSX wagon would have trouble competing with the already-popular wagons, like the Subarus?
Old 08-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Summer
Think a TSX wagon would have trouble competing with the already-popular wagons, like the Subarus?
Yes and No. I suppose it depends on the size of the overall wagon market. If the market stays constant, there is no need for another player. If the market grows, it opens up opportunities for another brand to bring something to the table.

They just need to look really hard at it. I think their (potential) slice of the pie will be pretty narrow. There is upward pressure from the Subi's and Honda's own CrossTour, and downward pressure form the Europeans.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Pro

I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but I think a sports coupe is a bigger priority than a sports wagon. A sports coupe is a better image builder for the brand and likely has higher sales potential than a wagon. Think about what the G35/G37 coupe has done for Infiniti, which has an even thinner overall lineup than Acura.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
^ I think we all pretty much agree with that, but the wagon is such an easy thing for them to introduce since it's just a change of the badge.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
^ I think we all pretty much agree with that, but the wagon is such an easy thing for them to introduce since it's just a change of the badge.
True but we're still back to the 'problem' that there would only be 3 model years left on the current cycle if it came out for 2011. It might be a good way to dip a toe in the water, but then you have to support it for years after it ends production with parts etc.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Racer

True but we're still back to the 'problem' that there would only be 3 model years left on the current cycle if it came out for 2011. It might be a good way to dip a toe in the water, but then you have to support it for years after it ends production with parts etc.
I see your point, but if Acura put their nose to the grind stone now they could potentially have the wagon in showrooms by next spring. To my understandings, it would just be a variation on the current sedan and it would be just a re-badging of the accord tourer. The only thing that they might have to do is get the rear end crash tests done, but that would about it. The big question about all of this, is the intention of Acura and when they see the car fitting in their future plans. They already make parts, just ship them here now and in the future.

As much as I would like to see the wagon here soon, if I was a betting man I would put my money into the wagon not coming until the next gen cycle. I am just happy they are looking into it and not coming up with a new crossover.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by shmork53
I see your point, but if Acura put their nose to the grind stone now they could potentially have the wagon in showrooms by next spring. ... The big question about all of this, is the intention of Acura and when they see the car fitting in their future plans.

As much as I would like to see the wagon here soon, if I was a betting man I would put my money into the wagon not coming until the next gen cycle. I am just happy they are looking into it and not coming up with a new crossover.
Yeah, they might be able to get it out in the spring, there are so many things that need to be done that I just don't see it. These can range from (as you mentioned) crash testing to something as small as new brochures (2010 brochures are already here). Next gen is my feeling too. They could get a full 5 year run, and not have this run simultaneously with the RDX.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Colin, American Honda announced back in July that the Accord Crosstour will be coming in the Fall. Maybe instead of a wagon, Acura may get a version of that. Is that what the ZDX is based on or not?

Last edited by 09TSXTech; 08-16-2009 at 03:44 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 09TSXTech
Colin, American Honda announced back in July that the Accord Crosstour will be coming in the Fall. Maybe instead of a wagon, Acura may get a version of that. Is that what the ZDX is based on or not?

No, the Accord CrossTour is (as the name implies) an Accord. The ZDX is closely related to the MDX. With the arrival of the CrossTour, I simply cannot see any logic to bringing in the TSX wagon. Unless they plan to drop something. After all, how many "two box people movers" does a brand need? Fit, CR-V, Element, CrossTour, Pilot, RDX, MDX, ZDX aren't enough that we need a TSX wagon?
Old 08-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
No, the Accord CrossTour is (as the name implies) an Accord. The ZDX is closely related to the MDX. With the arrival of the CrossTour, I simply cannot see any logic to bringing in the TSX wagon. Unless they plan to drop something. After all, how many "two box people movers" does a brand need? Fit, CR-V, Element, CrossTour, Pilot, RDX, MDX, ZDX aren't enough that we need a TSX wagon?
RDX/MDX/ZDX are pricey, some too large, less comfortable poor fuel economy etc.
Fit/CRV/Element dont have performance/comfort of car like TSX even if they are lower priced. CrossTour is too big. There is place for car having larger capacity/comfort than Fit but less bigger than USDM Accord. Fully loaded Japanese Fit cost $20K. TSX wagaon alteast share parts with TSX but what purpose is RDX?. its sales already falling apart. VW/Subaru are doing good with wagons.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
RDX/MDX/ZDX are pricey, some too large, less comfortable poor fuel economy etc.
Of course you realize that a TSX wagon would be larger than a RDX right? Look, I've stated that I think a wagon if fine - once the RDX is done. (please read the earlier posts in this thread)
Old 08-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JD23
I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but I think a sports coupe is a bigger priority than a sports wagon. A sports coupe is a better image builder for the brand and likely has higher sales potential than a wagon. Think about what the G35/G37 coupe has done for Infiniti, which has an even thinner overall lineup than Acura.
Preach it brother! Can I have an AMEN? AMEN!
Old 08-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by JD23
TSX is wagon just needs rebading from Euro Accord wagon. They even have Type S in wagon for larger wheels. even 18inch rim design is rebadged.
white premium pearl/Red basque pearl inclusive. in europe they are giving both royal blue pearl/cobalt blue pearl. Everything is rebadged nothing exclusive. .
where will be coupe coming from? Perhaps rebadging Euro Civic Type R into Acura grill.

Always remember Honda is run by bean counters where most of profits are now from Motorcycle business.(Hero Honda India). I am expecting more rebadging work.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by jjmdx
I know I am in the minority but I really want this to happen, but do it right an option for a manual! Even better make Type S Wagon V6 TSX with a manual in Taffeta white please!
Thought I'd resurect this thread since according to Edmunds, this is actually going to happen. Target release date is this fall, and it appears to be equipped similarly to the base TSX (4 cylinder) with the exception of tire size (235/45x18). The manual trans. will be available (supposedly). My guess is that the equipment level will change a little from what Edmunds has listed. I can't imagine they'll offer more than one model, and I assume that means that it will have nav and the 6CD changer (among other little goodies). I find the listed availabililty of the 6 speed curious too, but Honda continues to offer it on the sedan even though it's only around 5% of sales, so who knows. That said, the high performance tire size and the 6 speed do tend to point in the direction of it being a "sport wagon", which would be kind of a new direction for Acura (maybe trying to attract a slightly different market than the RDX?). I'm wondering how many (if any) here would be interested in this car. And..... if there is more or different release info, feel free to add to what I found. This is first I've seen (or heard) about this, but that doesn't mean that it's new news here (though I did a search and didn't find anything recent).
Old 03-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, there is another thread or two about this that for some reason did not come up in your search. The car will debut at the NY auto show very soon. An MT would in fact be very shocking to me, but I guess anything is possible. We'll find out soon enough, though!
Old 03-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
rather have a coupe!
Old 03-26-2010, 12:27 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a tourer (I love it )and I think for the USM it's a good car....
so I hope you got it to enjoy the "Honda shootig break" (typically english)....
Old 03-26-2010, 08:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Post Inside Line

Just the Facts:
* The 2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon will debut via Webcast at the N.Y. auto show.
* The unveil will take place on March 31 at 3:35 p.m. ET.
* Acura's new wagon is already on sale in other markets as the Accord Touring.

TORRANCE, California — The wraps will come off the 2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon via Webcast at 3:35 p.m. (ET) on Wednesday, March 31, at the 2010 New York Auto Show.

The Webcast can be seen on a dedicated Web site Acura said it will conduct a live Q&A session on Twitter with Vicki Poponi, assistant vice president of product planning, at 4:30 p.m. following the press conference.

Acura said last fall it will add a sport wagon — a.k.a. station wagon — to the TSX sedan lineup in late fall 2010. The vehicle is already on sale in other markets as the Accord Touring.

Expect the TSX Sport Wagon to have the same specs as the current sedan. The current sedan offers two powertrain choices: a 201-horsepower 2.4-liter DOHC inline-4 and a 280-hp 3.5-liter V6. The sedan gets two transmission choices: a standard six-speed manual and a five-speed automatic.

Acura has not yet released any images of the TSX Sport Wagon.

Inside Line says: We'll get our first glimpse of this controversial Acura wagon in short order. — Anita Lienert, Correspondent

Old 03-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Woot! Can't wait.

I'm driving an RDX loaner right now and am considering that and the TSX sport wagon for my next ride. I've had an extended test drive of the RDX now for 2 days, and it looks like I'll be keeping it over the weekend since the dealer hasn't called yet about my car. I'm still undecided whether or not I like having an SUV. Can't wait to compare to the wagon when it comes out! I have a feeling I will like the wagon better, since I'm just not an SUV person, no matter how small it is.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:02 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rsjapan
I have a tourer (I love it )and I think for the USM it's a good car....
so I hope you got it to enjoy the "Honda shootig break" (typically english)....
What a wonderfull car! Could you please let me know which colour it is (volcano grey?) , and witch wheels are under it (BBS?) 20"? thx.

ericstockman@telenet.be
Old 08-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
tsx wagon will come with L.E.D tail lights... i hope the sedan does too cause i want them =)