TSX vs. Accord

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 07:49 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
TSX vs. Accord

I just bought a '12 TSX base and I work in a tire/auto service shop. One of my regular customers came in for an oil change on her '10 Accord EX-L 4cyl auto trans. While rotating the tires, I noticed a damaged tire. Had a nice pot hole bulge on the side. It was a 225/50 R17 HXMXM4, same as a TSX uses. We needed a few hours to get a tire so she left the car for the afternoon.

I put the new tire on, found no damage to the wheel and checked the alignment. It was perfect. I test drove the car and found no problems. Knowing the TSX and Accord are platform mates made this an especially interesting test drive.

The Accord has somewhat better steering feel, especially on center. It is easier to get in and out of because of the higher roof. The back seat is way roomier, as it should be with 4 inches more wheelbase than a TSX. No big difference in engine/trans performance but you hear somewhat more of it in the Accord.

The Accord rides better at lower speeds. I think the combination of slightly softer springing, longer wheelbase and still firm damping help.

The down side of the Accord is noise. I've driven lots of '08+ Accords and they're all that way. The lower trim lines with 16" tires are a bit quieter. Given that the Accord has 4" more wheelbase and around 10 cubic feet more interior volume yet weighs about 30 lbs. less than a TSX means something has to give. And that is noise control. Road/tire noise is the main source but Accords have more intrusive noise from outside sources like other cars coming through. The TSX manages this much better.

My TSX is far quieter over the same test drive route. I really wasn't expecting this car to be so quiet. Wind and outside intrusive noise is minimal and the road/tire noises don't set off any bad harmonics in the structure. I can't help but to think the Euro Accord and TSX are what Honda meant this car to be.

Accord is supposed to be new for 2013. It will be interesting to see how Honda meets our demand for big, low priced cars.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:46 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I think its worth noting that (and correct me if I'm wrong) the US Accord and the TL share platform while the TSX/Accord Euro are the same vehicle. All the same, the two are certainly worth comparing in terms of which to buy in America/Canada
Old 01-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by s40 driver
I think its worth noting that (and correct me if I'm wrong) the US Accord and the TL share platform while the TSX/Accord Euro are the same vehicle. All the same, the two are certainly worth comparing in terms of which to buy in America/Canada

My understanding is that all these cars do share a common basic platform. TL specs actually list a .9" shorter wheelbase than an Accord. "Platform" is a sometimes loosely used term for sure and I could be corrected in this instance. For example, GM makes cars with variations in interior volume, track, wheelbase, and mechanical component sets all within the same platform designation. They will even look different from underneath.

Under-hood and under car appearance is eerily similar between the TSX and a 4 cyl. Accord. Suspension design, subframes and component locations are pretty much indistinguishable. Front brakes are identical.

I look forward to some discourse and debate on this subject here!
Old 01-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
some how USDM Accord looks down market from design to fit & finish.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Sorry guys, but bottom line with the TSX is that it is an absolutely amazing car all-around, with the exception of the steering.

The steering is atrocious...

If it had better steering I would've never gotten rid of mine. Perhaps they will keep this in mind with the ILX?
Old 01-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by ressling
Sorry guys, but bottom line with the TSX is that it is an absolutely amazing car all-around, with the exception of the steering.

The steering is atrocious...

If it had better steering I would've never gotten rid of mine. Perhaps they will keep this in mind with the ILX?
steering is pretty important
Old 01-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 205 Posts
I had an 08 sedan and think that it is a good car but the TSX is simply better i like the steering in TSX better than in Accord but each person can have different opinions
Old 01-29-2012, 10:42 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
i drove my friends accord around and i thought it sucked ass...

i prefered the TSX in pretty much every way =/
Old 01-29-2012, 11:02 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I drove a 2G TSX over the Christmas Break and I test drove a '11 Accord last spring and I agree that the Accord has more responsive steering- I would put it as somewhere between the 2G TSX and the 1G TSX in terms of feel, feedback, and responsiveness.

The 2G TSX had better seats and a much more comfortable interior than the Accord though, but that may have been because I was driving a non-leather Accord.
The following users liked this post:
Midnight Mystery (01-13-2020)
Old 01-29-2012, 11:22 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jchan2
I drove a 2G TSX over the Christmas Break and I test drove a '11 Accord last spring and I agree that the Accord has more responsive steering- I would put it as somewhere between the 2G TSX and the 1G TSX in terms of feel, feedback, and responsiveness.

The 2G TSX had better seats and a much more comfortable interior than the Accord though, but that may have been because I was driving a non-leather Accord.
The interior of the Accord is VERY similar to a TSX when equipped with leather. The major differences is that the leather is not perforated in the Accord and the dash is a hard plastic material.

That being said, I dont see the merit in getting a leather equipped accord unless you need a bigger car. The TSX is only about 2k more when similarly equipped and I feel that the TSX comes with a much better overall package.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:43 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
The tsx also leases for less when similarly equipped and with 0 down.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
My parents got a 10 Accord sedan new about a year and a half ago. It has nothing on the TSX. I an honestly say that I like every option better on mine then theirs. Even the steering. No complaints from me on the steering for 11+ TSX, I haven't tried out a 09-10 TSX though.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
^yea, i'd pick the tsx over the accord any day. Steering is a little loose on the tsx, but the accord feels worlds cheaper...I had both so I know, lol.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:56 AM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too was in the dilemma. My wife and I were deciding between the TSX (2009-2nd Gen), Accord (08-11' not sure what gen those years are) and the 2008 TL.

We first test drove the TSX and loved it...but back to that in a minute. Next was the Accord...to try and compare apples to apples we tried the EX-L...basically the upgraded leather package...the LX and nonleather EX's just didn't do it for us. The engine was pretty decent (i-4) but still not as quick as the TSX's iVTEC. Accord definitely has more room in the rear but where it makes up for room it lacks in interior style and technical options. The radio in the base TSX is far superior to the Accords except for the Accords have a 6-disc changer...but seriously who listens to CD's anyway?

The TSX was more comfortable, the options with the bluetooth and phone link are great. I thought the interior noise of the Accord was much louder from wind and engine noise. All in all there was nothing wrong with the Accord its just that I could literally spend a $1000 - $1500 more for the TSX and why wouldn't I?

The TL we test drove was very nice and part of me wanted that car. The interior was well appointed, very quite and the v-6 is excellent. It basically came down to the fact that my wife did not like the 2004-2008 TL/TSX generation. She preferred the model change in 2009 and the 2009 TL was out of our price range. I don't regret it all I mean after all the TSX is the entry level sports luxury for Acura...TL is a step above that and it's pricier than the TSX.

Acura/Honda build excellent cars so no matter what you choose you have the confidence that car will run forever. It all comes down to what you personal preference is and of course price range.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:20 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drove an 07 Accord EXL V6 for a couple of years. I did not enjoy driving it, especially due to the steering. It over-steered like crazy. Now I drive an 09 TSX and IMO the TSX handles far better than the Accord and is much more fun to drive. It also kicks the Accord's ass in the gas mileage department.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
does the 2011 civic (not the new models) featur electric power steering? if so i found it actually felt better than accord's hydraulic steering. it was super quick off center (better than my wrx) and responsive.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:28 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pickler
does the 2011 civic (not the new models) featur electric power steering? if so i found it actually felt better than accord's hydraulic steering. it was super quick off center (better than my wrx) and responsive.

That generation civic did use hydraulic power steering.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:56 AM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
I had an 06 Accord EX-L 4 cyl manual, and it was perhaps the favorite of the 21 cars I had owned. Sold it but the 8 gen sedan I just felt was too big for me, I found the seats far less comfortable, gear change not so nice, interior a downgrade, steering not so perfect, and I didn't really like the way it looked either. The coupe looked better, esp with a bit of lowering and bigger wheels, but not very practical. But of course it is super quick in V6 manual guise. I should say I sell Hondas so I drive current gen Accords a lot. Acura in Canada had a great deal this month on leases so I finally got a TSX.

The TSX is far better finished in terms of materials, and I prefer its interior design. Its seats are better shaped. Its shift quality is beyond superlatives. The Accord in its current gen rides better in terms of bump absorption (the TSX is controlled but very firm) and there is way more room in the back. I also think that the Accord's VGR steering is more precise (though not as nice as the non-the 4 cyl previous gen). Handling wise though the TSX trounces Accords.

The accord sedan only comes with a manual in base 177hp trim in Canada - no thank-you. The manual TSX 4 cyl manual also feels quicker than any Accord except the V6 manual coupe. It's also quieter especially when not pressing on.
The following users liked this post:
Midnight Mystery (01-13-2020)
Old 02-26-2012, 10:05 AM
a77
Racer

just to add I also felt the stereo in the 8 gen a downgrade from 7 gen - despite more speakers and more power. Even the non els TSX set up is great and better than any Honda offering except possibly the Odyssey Touring.

Going back to steering - the current TSX is better than it was a few years ago. But still not as direct feeling as a good hydraulic set up. Civics are vaguer than they used to be, even compared to the last gen EPS models (Si and Canadian DXG). But still a nice system.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

thr civic I drove waz a base dxg model....so thats electric? I loved the steering. better than any other honda with exception of.s2000.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:40 AM
a77
Racer

From 08 onwards the Civic DX-G manual in canada had EPS. The official canadian mileages are calculated using the best selling model in the range - which for the Civic in Canada meant the DXGs. So for that year, with the aim of tweaking out an extra km or 2 in order to exceed the mileage threshold for a $1000 federal govt tax rebate, it got hybrid like wheels, a rear lip spoiler, underbody air smoothing panels, possibly a part time alternator (not sure of that one), and lower rolling resistance tires. Only the manual DXG got all this - the autos would never qualify anyway, but the whole range got the rear spoiler for credibility sake. The resultant mileage numbers got applied to all the manuals, even though only the DXG could get it. the irony was that all the testing and expense for this (including a jolly to New Zealand for cold weather testing) was in vain as just at introduction the rebate scheme was scrapped.

The Fits went through a similar process, the legacy of which stilll remains in the form of no spare tire and an inflation kit instead in auto versions.

Driving the DXG felt very little different from other hydraulically steered civics.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by a77
From 08 onwards the Civic DX-G manual in canada had EPS. The official canadian mileages are calculated using the best selling model in the range - which for the Civic in Canada meant the DXGs. So for that year, with the aim of tweaking out an extra km or 2 in order to exceed the mileage threshold for a $1000 federal govt tax rebate, it got hybrid like wheels, a rear lip spoiler, underbody air smoothing panels, possibly a part time alternator (not sure of that one), and lower rolling resistance tires. Only the manual DXG got all this - the autos would never qualify anyway, but the whole range got the rear spoiler for credibility sake. The resultant mileage numbers got applied to all the manuals, even though only the DXG could get it. the irony was that all the testing and expense for this (including a jolly to New Zealand for cold weather testing) was in vain as just at introduction the rebate scheme was scrapped.

The Fits went through a similar process, the legacy of which stilll remains in the form of no spare tire and an inflation kit instead in auto versions.

Driving the DXG felt very little different from other hydraulically steered civics.
the '11 dxg i was talking about had all those you mentioned with the exception of the manual tranny! it was an auto but had hybrid wheels, lip spoiler. So i guess the steering was hydraulic then? whatever it was, it was nice.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:30 AM
a77
Racer

Yep, the auto DX-G was hydraulic
Old 03-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although neither the TSX nor the Accord would win any automobile styling design competition, I think the Accord is just plain ugly. Those jagged lines in the taillights look like a mistake. I still don't get it.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was going to get an Accord EX-L but happened upon a leftover 2010 TSX that was the same price so I chose the TSX. I like the interior, the stereo, and the seats on the TSX but I wouldn't have minded the extra trunk space in the Accord. I'm sure the dealer service is better on the TSX too.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I've had a 2007 Accord and a 2005 Civic, A 2009, 2010, and now @012 TSX Tech and a 2012 Civic EX. I have also test driven the newer Accords.All great cars, but I do notice a few key differences between the Hondas and the Acuras:

1. Better handling, reduced body roll for the TSX, to be expected;
2. I find the steering set-up on the TSX to be perfect for my driving. Responsive and sure.
3. Acura leather so much softer, especially noticeable on a cold winter day...and yes you should treat it with a quality product every couple of months.
4. Reduced cabin noise in the Acura
5. Much better sound system in the Acura
6. Better materials inside, although both Acura and Honda are above many
7. I love the TSX interior and have no issues with the layouts of buttons - as some writers seem to. I find it very intuitive and a little easier than my wife's 2012 Civic, with far fewer controls, but I am reasonably tech savvy.
8. The TSX is also a fine looking auto and sportier than it's Honda cousins, no surprise there.

No revelations here, to be sure. I have to add though that I while I love driving my 2012 TSX, I also enjoy driving my wife's 2012 Civic.
The following 2 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
Midnight Mystery (10-13-2020), WheelMcCoy (03-03-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 09:49 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
.... I have to add though that I while I love driving my 2012 TSX, I also enjoy driving my wife's 2012 Civic.
Hey, just like us.