TSX versus 370Z

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX versus 370Z

Hello everyone,

First off let me say that I am aware that the TSX and 370 are different types of cars.....

I am the owner of a 2009 TSX Tech, and I love the car. It is obviously very good quality, and I love that about it. Compared to all my previous cars, this really stands in stark comparison.

I think the ride is very smooth and comfortable, and again am overall very very happy with the car.

At the same time, I wanted to educate myself as to the other cars and models out there, and even the difference between this and the V6 TSX. I keep hearing that some cars are "more fun to drive", and the one thing I can imagine is that there are cars much more lively than my TSX.

In the course of doing research, I came across the 370Z, and started checking it out. I really like the way it looks, but it seems AWFULLY expensive....

I haven't gotten around to test driving one yet, and was simply wondering if some of you could maybe educate me on the difference between a car like that, to what I have now.

I was reading an old thread of the TSX versus Maxima, and a lot of good feedback was given, so I thought maybe some of you could school me on the 370Z with your thoughts/opinions.

I don't know a ton about cars, but am a logical thinker, and like to do research.

Thanks for any feedback you have the time to provide.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
I owned a 350Z for a period of time. It was a blast to drive. While I was car shopping (end result being a TSX) I test drve a 370Z. Going back to a performance oriented car was appealing, however, unnecessary. Don't get me wrong. I'm already headed down the path of endless mods to get more power but it is power with trunk space, practicality and four doors. I wouldn't mind a rear wheel drive car again as they are my favorite but going to a Honda was probably the best decision I ever made due to its record and reliability factor.

As far as expense, they do cost a bit to maintain and they suck gas like no other. I averaged 13 (I like to party). Reliability? It is a Nissan. Most I've seen are pretty damn good cars. My dad owns an '08 Altima V6 manual trans now with 110K miles and the only thing he had fixed was the damn engine mounts that were covered by a TSB. Other than that it is still perfect. My sister owns an '07 or '08 Versa. I believe she has about 80K miles on hers and so far she's only had her brakes changed, four months ago. A 370Z will keep with the reliability standards to a point but any car you push will wind up breaking at some point in one way or another.

Really your only question to yourself should be... Do I wanna party? Or do I wanna have room for more than just one girl?
Old 05-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
i will start off saying .....if i didnt live in N.Y i would've had the 370Z instead of the 4th gen TL .....................i don't care about the lost interior space because i am not a daily driver and my car spends weeks on end parked and when i do go out it doesnt really involve anything that i would need more than that car.....

now the tsx is not even in the same playing field as the 370 Z.......the 370Z is a SPORT car.....the TSX is a luxury sport car......nice car though.......can't compare the two..........the V-6 TSX is front wheel drive and has 280HP in a 4door sedan.....the 370Z has 333HP in a coupe with no back seats...........

now as far as price the 370Z is really not overpriced at all...it starts at 30K and maxes out at 40K with some crazzy features....like more sportier exhaust ...more sportier suspension......i think you can get nav with it .......sport body kit ....sport 19 inch rims ......but then again you can purchase the base model and upgrade to all those parts right through the nissan dealer but i assume by the time you finish all of that the price will be the same.....

the TSX probably has better resale value than the 370Z i believe ........the 370Z also comes with the infiniti 3.7 liter V-6 engine........i would actually prefer the Z over the G-37 thats just me .....and the price difference between the G-37 and the Z is a big jump .........

to sum it up if you are a person that doesn't care about interior space....trunk space....traveling with more than 1 person .....and want a nice sports car that not only looks good but also performs good and has some good reliability...and lives in an area that the weather will permit you to drive it year round then the Z is a great car.....i think with me behind the wheel of a Z i can take a 6series BMW no bullshit ..i have kept on the tails of 6 series when i had my 06 TL and that only had 260HP stock auto .....................

now if you are the type to care about room ,resale value ,and live in a place that it snows then the TSX would be the smarter choice and the TSX starts at 30K and comes better equipped and i think once you get to the point that the Z is nicely equipped you can probably get a better equipped TSX .........

But at the end of the day they are both nice cars.....but if performance is youre thing then Z all day .....

Last edited by TRIUMPHT; 05-04-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tannis
I owned a 350Z for a period of time. It was a blast to drive. While I was car shopping (end result being a TSX) I test drve a 370Z. Going back to a performance oriented car was appealing, however, unnecessary. Don't get me wrong. I'm already headed down the path of endless mods to get more power but it is power with trunk space, practicality and four doors. I wouldn't mind a rear wheel drive car again as they are my favorite but going to a Honda was probably the best decision I ever made due to its record and reliability factor.

As far as expense, they do cost a bit to maintain and they suck gas like no other. I averaged 13 (I like to party). Reliability? It is a Nissan. Most I've seen are pretty damn good cars. My dad owns an '08 Altima V6 manual trans now with 110K miles and the only thing he had fixed was the damn engine mounts that were covered by a TSB. Other than that it is still perfect. My sister owns an '07 or '08 Versa. I believe she has about 80K miles on hers and so far she's only had her brakes changed, four months ago. A 370Z will keep with the reliability standards to a point but any car you push will wind up breaking at some point in one way or another.

Really your only question to yourself should be... Do I wanna party? Or do I wanna have room for more than just one girl?

Great post Tannis, hehe.

I'm a little older now, so not really a big partier, but I spend a lot of time in the car, and was wondering if I might enjoy things more if I had a "sportier" ride versus a luxury one. Before I bought this TSX, I had crap cars, so the luxury experience has been a nice new journey for me. Now I'm wondering if I should just enjoy this path, or if I might enjoy a sports ride better.

The PRICE of the 370 though, seems awfully high. I know the Acura gives very good value, but to pay around 40K (for equivalent options) for the 370 seems WAY high. But maybe I'm missing something (very likely).

And is the TSX front wheel drive? That question right there, shows you how little I know. I have no clue as to the difference between rear and front wheel drive. I just know that AWD makes for better handling, if you have it (AWD).

I REALLY like the look of the roadster 370Z, but even the coupe seems outrageously priced, so......
Old 05-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TRIUMPHT
i will start off saying .....if i didnt live in N.Y i would've had the 370Z instead of the 4th gen TL .....................i don't care about the lost interior space because i am not a daily driver and my car spends weeks on end parked and when i do go out it doesnt really involve anything that i would need more than that car.....

now the tsx is not even in the same playing field as the 370 Z.......the 370Z is a SPORT car.....the TSX is a luxury sport car......nice car though.......can't compare the two..........the V-6 TSX is front wheel drive and has 280HP in a 4door sedan.....the 370Z has 333HP in a coupe with no back seats...........

now as far as price the 370Z is really not overpriced at all...it starts at 30K and maxes out at 40K with some crazzy features....like more sportier exhaust ...more sportier suspension......i think you can get nav with it .......sport body kit ....sport 19 inch rims ......but then again you can purchase the base model and upgrade to all those parts right through the nissan dealer but i assume by the time you finish all of that the price will be the same.....

the TSX probably has better resale value than the 370Z i believe ........the 370Z also comes with the infiniti 3.7 liter V-6 engine........i would actually prefer the Z over the G-37 thats just me .....and the price difference between the G-37 and the Z is a big jump .........

to sum it up if you are a person that doesn't care about interior space....trunk space....traveling with more than 1 person .....and want a nice sports car that not only looks good but also performs good and has some good reliability...and lives in an area that the weather will permit you to drive it year round then the Z is a great car.....i think with me behind the wheel of a Z i can take a 6series BMW no bullshit ..i have kept on the tails of 6 series when i had my 06 TL and that only had 260HP stock auto .....................

now if you are the type to care about room ,resale value ,and live in a place that it snows then the TSX would be the smarter choice and the TSX starts at 30K and comes better equipped and i think once you get to the point that the Z is nicely equipped you can probably get a better equipped TSX .........

But at the end of the day they are both nice cars.....but if performance is youre thing then Z all day .....

Thanks Triumph, that helps a lot!

I live in Los Angeles, and I'm a bachelor, so I could do with a sports car... and I think you confirmed my thoughts, that I'd probably enjoy the drive of a sports car much more, as it'd make it much easier and better to get around in.

As for price, if you put the sports package aside, and just go for comparable features, the 370Z Touring starts at 35.9K, and then if you want automatic (I DO), you're at $37,200. Throw Navi on top of that, and you're at 40K.

That's a BIG jump in price from my 4 cylinder TSX Tech which can be had for 32K.

But from what you're saying, there IS a big difference to be had here, in the driving experience/capabilities, and also the sexier looks.

Good stuff, thanks.

BTW, do you have 8K I can borrow?
Old 05-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Pro

lol......na i don't have 8K to lend you lol.........but honestly that car is nice .....i have test drove both the 370Z and the G37 coupe .up here i would be better off with a G37 coupe because they do have the AWD models now..but i would say if you really want the luxury and still have a sports car look into the G37 used i have seen them so far for 30K with less than 30,000 miles on them......and if you look at the Z used you can get it nicely equipped for around 30K .........i just seen 2 09 Z's here in N.Y one was the touring edition with the leather/suede power seats....with 4K on the clock for 29K and another 1 for 27K with 12,000 miles on it but it had the sport seats (non leather) and the sport 19's neither had NAVI though...

but i am pretty sure because of where you live it would be a little harder to find those used like that because of the weather difference......over here anyone who has that car keeps it parked in the winter .......or at least when the snow is on the ground................so that is mainly a second car for some of the people that has them........

i am married my wife has a car also so i was still gonna go for the Z or the G37 but i know as i said when the snow falls and i need to get somewhere and she's not around i would be stuck.......i had the experience when i owned a 240sx couldn't go anywhere when it was snowing. ........but i did have a second car at the time..

but i would say if it's something you can do go for it ..............
Old 05-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Z's hold their value well. I used to own a 2006 and pretty much got as much as I paid for it for only owning it 6 months.

To be frank, the Z is a great car, it's just not an ideal daily driver.

Besides:

More expensive
Higher insurance
Less practical
Less fuel efficient

If you're a one-car owner, it seems like a no-brainer to me... My 2 cents...
Old 05-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ressling
Z's hold their value well. I used to own a 2006 and pretty much got as much as I paid for it for only owning it 6 months.

To be frank, the Z is a great car, it's just not an ideal daily driver.

Besides:

More expensive
Higher insurance
Less practical
Less fuel efficient

If you're a one-car owner, it seems like a no-brainer to me... My 2 cents...

Ressling, when you say it's not an ideal daily driver, are you saying that mainly because of the fuel efficiency?
Old 05-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
it does kinda seem silly to have this discussion so i was ready to ridicule you but you seem like a nice guy, direct comparisons aside they are just two completely different classes of car

do you have family?

do you have more than one person in the car alot?

do you grocery shop alot?

do you ever travel with your car?

do you park in areas where you would need to worry about your car being dinged up?

is your wife/gf pregnant?

is your wife/gf annoying and wants a smooth ride all the time?

can you afford the insurance?

do you want to save money?

will you get to fully enjoy a sports car where you live?

will this be last your "bachelor" car purchase?

or, just buy a used certified 370z at the price of a tsx, or do a lease, take the hit on money, enjoy your 370 and then give it back
Old 05-04-2011, 12:50 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
all i can say is..i'd take a Z over my tsx anytime if i can
Old 05-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Op is too busy to care

Originally Posted by TRIUMPHT
lol......na i don't have 8K to lend you lol.........but honestly that car is nice .....i have test drove both the 370Z and the G37 coupe .up here i would be better off with a G37 coupe because they do have the AWD models now..but i would say if you really want the luxury and still have a sports car look into the G37 used i have seen them so far for 30K with less than 30,000 miles on them......and if you look at the Z used you can get it nicely equipped for around 30K .........i just seen 2 09 Z's here in N.Y one was the touring edition with the leather/suede power seats....with 4K on the clock for 29K and another 1 for 27K with 12,000 miles on it but it had the sport seats (non leather) and the sport 19's neither had NAVI though...

but i am pretty sure because of where you live it would be a little harder to find those used like that because of the weather difference......over here anyone who has that car keeps it parked in the winter .......or at least when the snow is on the ground................so that is mainly a second car for some of the people that has them........

i am married my wife has a car also so i was still gonna go for the Z or the G37 but i know as i said when the snow falls and i need to get somewhere and she's not around i would be stuck.......i had the experience when i owned a 240sx couldn't go anywhere when it was snowing. ........but i did have a second car at the time..

but i would say if it's something you can do go for it ..............

its a nice comfort to know that sh-awd TL laughs in the face of winter weather advisories
Old 05-04-2011, 01:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KillerG
it does kinda seem silly to have this discussion so i was ready to ridicule you but you seem like a nice guy, direct comparisons aside they are just two completely different classes of car

do you have family?

do you have more than one person in the car alot?

do you grocery shop alot?

do you ever travel with your car?

do you park in areas where you would need to worry about your car being dinged up?

is your wife/gf pregnant?

is your wife/gf annoying and wants a smooth ride all the time?

can you afford the insurance?

do you want to save money?

will you get to fully enjoy a sports car where you live?

will this be last your "bachelor" car purchase?

or, just buy a used certified 370z at the price of a tsx, or do a lease, take the hit on money, enjoy your 370 and then give it back
Hi Killer,

Yeah I'm pretty much a bachelor right now, so I can go with a sports car at this point.....

Currently I'm paying around 90 bucks a month on insurance. Do you think there would be a significant jump with a 370?

I would definitely want to lease, but can't get any numbers right now, because the price calculator on the Nissan site is down. I'm guessing it'd be around $600 a month, which is more than I want to spend on a car.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Op is too busy to care

To hell with fiscal responsibility. Ive seen too many of my older friends get married quick out college/grad and their first car is a baby hauler... and then it's just all over.

idk about insurance, someone with a few cars might be able to comment on that, monthlys should be in the area of 400. You could also consider the genesis coupe, which could be yours for around 10 grand less than the 370z, with decent upgrades

OR

if you can get over the girly looks, get a used porsche boxster? Alotta car mags call it one of the best handling cars on the market. Plus you are a bachelor. "I drive a porsche". period. Me Gusta.

Get yourself a sports car before it's too late.

Last edited by KillerG; 05-04-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nite Flyte
Ressling, when you say it's not an ideal daily driver, are you saying that mainly because of the fuel efficiency?
Yes, but also the fact that you can only fit one additional person. You'd think it would never be an issue, but just wait until you have the car for 6+ months...

It's a pretty car nonetheless, but if you're only paying $90/mo. in car insurance, you might get sticker shock when you get quoted for the Z...
Old 05-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Banned

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Two more questions -

Is the 370 much better than the American sports cars (Mustang, Camaro...)?

and bottom line - do you think it's overpriced, or worth the high price tag? (in YOUR opinion)

Oh and a third question just popped up - have any of y'all had any experience with the "blind spot" issue??? I've heard it's pretty bad, but was wondering if it can be comfortably overcome by just using the passenger side mirror when turning lanes on the fwy?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Pro

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Two more questions -

Is the 370 much better than the American sports cars (Mustang, Camaro...)?

and bottom line - do you think it's overpriced, or worth the high price tag? (in YOUR opinion)

Oh and a third question just popped up - have any of y'all had any experience with the "blind spot" issue??? I've heard it's pretty bad, but was wondering if it can be comfortably overcome by just using the passenger side mirror when turning lanes on the fwy?
IMO i don't think it is over priced as i said but that's just my opinion for the power you get,handling and reliability.........i do know the American sports cars are priced less even when it's maxed out in some cases ........more so i think the camaro is the cheapest as far as price goes as compared to the mustang and challenger ...............they seem to be a little more roomier also .........but i am not sure of their reliability though ....long term ...........i have owned 1 american car in my life and that was my first car ....................so i do have a sort of bias ............if the car is brand new and you treat it right i think any car will be reliable ..........but i would say shop around first look at all the pros and cons on all cars .....test drive all of them if possible and go from there....................those american cars are also heavier ........than the Z ...they have more horses to tow that weight if you go for the 8 cylinder models but i don't think you will have the same excitement with the 6 cylinder models they offer ...........i think when you decide to get out of that car and trade it in or sell it you might get more with the Z than the american cars unless you get the top of the line models......but that's just my thoughts ...not fact ..............but whatever you do decide to do keep the zine updated ....
Old 05-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Banned

Thanks again Triumph....

maybe I should create another thread comparing the 370 to the American sports cars! hehehe
Old 05-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Pro

Thanks again Triumph....

maybe I should create another thread comparing the 370 to the American sports cars! hehehe

why not ....
Old 05-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes... the Z's (coupe) blind spot is absolutely awful and dangerous IMO...
Old 05-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ressling
Yes... the Z's (coupe) blind spot is absolutely awful and dangerous IMO...
Ress, do ya think the roadster/convertible is any better? Even when the top is up??

I absolutely love the LOOK of the 370Z, and I haven't yet test driven them nor a Ford Mustang (I plan to do this in the near future), but I'm thinking this would be a huge negative for me....

UNLESS it could be overcome with the use of the passenger mirror?
Old 05-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Or just spend a little more and get the truest sports car:

http://www.lotuscars.com/en/lotus-elise
Old 05-06-2011, 01:43 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
Or just spend a little more and get the truest sports car:

http://www.lotuscars.com/en/lotus-elise
Have you ever tried to climb into one of those? lol! Met a guy at a Starbucks once and he let me climb behind the wheel. I didn't drive it and the top was down but holy cow is it cramped.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tannis
Have you ever tried to climb into one of those? lol! Met a guy at a Starbucks once and he let me climb behind the wheel. I didn't drive it and the top was down but holy cow is it cramped.
Yeah, I owned one for over 3 years. Hard to get into at first but you get used to it... right leg in, slide butt over side, drop down to seat, pull in left leg. It's actually quite roomy once you get in. Plus, it's easier if you take the top off (plug in joke here). It was the most fun I've had in a car. It's just not great as your only car....
Old 05-17-2011, 10:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by KillerG
To hell with fiscal responsibility. Ive seen too many of my older friends get married quick out college/grad and their first car is a baby hauler... and then it's just all over.

idk about insurance, someone with a few cars might be able to comment on that, monthlys should be in the area of 400. You could also consider the genesis coupe, which could be yours for around 10 grand less than the 370z, with decent upgrades

OR

if you can get over the girly looks, get a used porsche boxster? Alotta car mags call it one of the best handling cars on the market. Plus you are a bachelor. "I drive a porsche". period. Me Gusta.

Get yourself a sports car before it's too late.

If you need a Porsche to get laid your doing it wrong.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Caliwild
Yeah, I owned one for over 3 years. Hard to get into at first but you get used to it... right leg in, slide butt over side, drop down to seat, pull in left leg. It's actually quite roomy once you get in. Plus, it's easier if you take the top off (plug in joke here). It was the most fun I've had in a car. It's just not great as your only car....
The Elise is a great value. The SC is a great car. I see them at the tracks quite a bit(SCCA), they are nimble as hell.

If I was gonna get in it I would definitely buy an SC and use it as a track vehicle. (We got Homestead Race track down here)

Last edited by elsapo; 05-17-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Op is too busy to care

Originally Posted by elsapo
i get plenty laid with a 99 corolla but im sure driving a porsche wouldnt hurt at all.

its not like id be looking to attract marriage material
Old 05-23-2011, 02:53 PM
7th Gear

Why not check out a used G37 Sedan in 6MT? Best of both worlds! Room of the TSX, RWD/Power of the 370Z.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:08 PM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by elsapo
If you spelled "you're" as "your", you're doing it wrong.

Originally Posted by burnurass
Why not check out a used G37 Sedan in 6MT? Best of both worlds! Room of the TSX, RWD/Power of the 370Z.
You forgot the "S"

Actually is there the S in the sedan version? Or just a Sport package with no emblem?